Your favorite musical moment in SW

Ozzel

Since a number of my favorite moments have already been mentioned (about five years ago), I will list a favorite small moment from the Stars Wars Saga. I absolutely love 5:36 to 6:28 in Track Nine on the Second Disk for "Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back".

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of the five Star Wars films so far, what is your single favorite moment where on-screen action combined with JW's score blend so perfectly that it still gives you spine tingles every time you see it?

That's impossible!

I highly doubt that this "Ozzel" will respond to you....

EDIT: ( After checking his profile): I extremely doubt that he will respond to you.

Yes, but I wouldn't be posting the response on a public online forum if it were meant for Ozzel and Ozzel alone.

Here's a couple:

Asteroid Field

Seeing the Falcon escape from Hoth as Vader's Theme and Han/Leia's theme battle ferociously.

The attempt to rescue Han at the end of ESB

Anakin Takes Off In Spaceship (actually, I'll change that to the entire final battle of TPM)

Escape from Naboo

Finale of AotC

Anakin's Dark Deeds (the scene and the music are absolutely fantastic)

Anakin's Betrayal

TIE Fighter Attack

the Falcon enters the Death Star (with that brilliant variation of the Rebel Theme)

That's certainly one of the best (if not the best) musical moments in SW, but the original posts says that we should evaluate on the perfect combination of score with film. ROTFLMAO

To nitpick, he did say main title, but not end title... ROTFLMAO

It's a ridiculously hard question, though. I guess the second half of The Asteroid Field. The whole thing is genius, but from the first burst of that motif to when Han and Leia's theme comes in is just incredible.

I think "moment" is a bit more specific than cues and action sequences.

For instance, one of my favourite moments is when Threepio and R2-D2 are launched in the escape pod from that rebel ship at the start of Star Wars. Awesome stuff there.

There are so many musical moments in the films that stand out but nothing beats the thrill of sitting in a darkened theatre (or at home) and reading "A Long Time Ago In A Galaxy Far Far Away...." and hearing those first 15 seconds of the fanfare. Even the prequels couldn't ruin that moment.

I can't beleive no one has mentioned my favourite yet.

In The Empire Strikes Back when General Reiken says 'We better start the evacuation', then It cuts to the Imperial Star Destroyer passing over screen with the most powerful ostinato ever! Then when you see Darth Vader watching the Imperial Fleet from the bridge just a moment later, I've watched that more than any other scene, I LOVE IT!

Yes, that moment is sheer ...awesimity? Awesomeness? Anyways, I always love the small moments in this Saga. For instance, I always loved that very brief musical swell when Han Solo punches Lando in "Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back", only to be beaten down by Lando's officers. I also love that subdued variation of the "Imperial March" when Lando is talking to Darth Vader while Han is being tortured.

I've just got Extraterrestrial Classics in the Post. Its got a version of The Imperial March i've never heard before by The Saint Loius Symphony, Conducted by Leonard Slatkin. I must say its quite easily the best version of the peice I've ever heard and want to hear all of The Empire Score by this Orchestra :blink:

You know, I have actually never listened to any of the concert versions of "The Imperial March", except one time in 2003 where I saw the Reno Philharmonic Orchestra perform it. I was ten, though, and this was before my seduction into music, so I did not really "note" ( pun not intended but ultimately realized) the actual performance. I have not been to a concert in four years. I feel deprived....

The Imperial March - Concert Arrangement : Shall always be my favourite all time peice of music ever written. Words cannnot describe how much I love it! :blink:

You know, I have actually never listened to any of the concert versions of "The Imperial March", except one time in 2003 where I saw the Reno Philharmonic Orchestra perform it. I was ten, though, and this was before my seduction into music, so I did not really "note" ( pun not intended but ultimately realized) the actual performance. I have not been to a concert in four years. I feel deprived....

I'm assuming you're excluding the original John Williams concert piece.

There are just too many to name. "Funeral Pyre for a Jedi" is one of my favorites though, it's has maybe the best rendition of the Force theme.

There are many, and they are impossible to rank. Some of my favorites are the Final duel and Funeral pyre/Light of the force cues of ROTJ, Imperial probe and City in the clouds of Empire, the beginning of Confrontation with Count Dooku and Finale in AOC, Arrival at Coruscant in TPM, and, of course, Parade of the Ewoks.