John Williams Academy Awards Shortlist 2020

tmarps

3 minutes ago, Bayesian said:

That would be swell. Incidentally, what was the last score JW wrote that didn't get a best score nomination? KOTCS, maybe?

The Post and The BFG weren’t nominated.

What the hell? The Post, really?? It should be like this: JW writes a score, it gets a nomination. Full stop. It should be as predictable as death and taxes, dammit!

edit: never mind!

BFG was the last time JW wasn’t nominated at all in a year that he had a score. Before that it was Crystal Skull. And before that it was...1992? Home Alone 2 and Far & Away?

The Post wasn’t nominated but The Last Jedi was. He’s had a lot of years with multiple scores where he gets in for only one (Jurassic Park is a famous snub), but pretty rare that they’ve ignored him altogether. I think it’s happened less than 10 times since the 60s.

I'm optimistic about his chances among those potential nominees. I expect the most likely nominees will be:

Alexandre Desplat, "Little Women"

Thomas Newman, "1917"

John Williams, "Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker"

And:

Hildur Guðnadóttir, "Joker"

Randy Newman, "Marriage Story"

(with an outside chance of...)

Marco Beltrami, "Ford v Ferrari"

Michael Giacchino, "Jojo Rabbit"

Daniel Pemberton, "Motherless Brooklyn"

Alberto Iglesias, "Pain and Glory"

I think Williams has a strong shot of standing out among those nominees with Academy voters and actually running away with the win.

Not going to happen, IMO. I think it's Joker's to lose, for political reasons.

I do think Disney will throw their weight behind him though, probably moreso than Silvestri for Endgame. 

10 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I do think Disney will throw their weight behind him though, probably moreso than Silvestri for Endgame. 

Considering the previous years, Williams has much more chance to be on the final five than Silvestri, despite his campaigning hard for Endgame on his social media. 

In any case, I guess Disney knows their best shot on the musical categories is with the songs (Frozen 2's Into the Unknown, Lion King's Spirit, Aladdin's Speechless, etc).

9 hours ago, Balahkay said:

The BFG? I think it deserved a nom even though the film flopped.

Tbh, the movie was a major failure with critics and audiences, and the score wasn't even that beloved. In any case, on that year the nominates were pretty terrible, with a lot of "meh" and "uh... that was good, I guess?" scores, like Jackie, Lion and Moonlight. I was hoping for Thomas Newman's Passengers that year, the score worked pretty well on the movie, and it was one of the few redeeming factores of that horrible pic.