Gollum's Song For Always...?

Yoda Longbottom

Which song is your favorite?  

31 members have voted

1. 1.

• Gollum's Song
    • For Always

This is my first attempt at polling. If it fails to work, it will be the last as well. If it fails to wake an attention, I won't do polls anymore. ;)

I think it interesting to run a poll dueling the two remarkable stand-out songs from two distinctive scores of the new millenium. I presume no one takes for granted John Williams' song to be a definite winner since it being inquired in JW's territory. I am, actually, positive of the opposite. No comments needed unless you feel like backing up your vote.

I went with "For Always".

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't heard Gollum's song yet, but I guess it'll turn out I'll choose for the Williams... ;)

I just wanted to say, do you know 'Gollum' from the Lord of the Rings symphony by Dutch composer Johan de Meij? It's quite Williamsesque, especially the last minute (kinda like 'Dobby the House Elf'). Also resembles Prokofiev (e.g. Cinderella suite).

MSM

Its existence has been mentioned here several times before but I haven't heard the song you mention yet. Will look for it to get myself in the picture.

Nice to see you around, by the way. ;)

Roman.-)

I don't particularly like how either of them are carried out in terms of lyrics/singing, I hat the voice in Gollum's song and the lyrics are a bit much in For Always. So when I say that my favorite of the two is For Always, that decision has been based entirely on the music itself. Though I do love the beginning of Gollum's song with the humming voices, even before the strings coming in. That moment is amazing.

Ted

The Meij version of Gollum is awesome!!! Soprano sax solo the whole time!!!! (I am a sax player :) ) You should really look into it if you haven't heard it.

It's got a really catchy melody, and is very fitting to portray the creature Gollum.

As for the poll....hmmmm..tough choice, but I like the way Gollum's song fits with him so well, and especially the way it works to end the movie The Two Towers. Genius. For Always is great too....very tough call. Argh, I'll think about it awhile ;)

Hmm....For Always is a Williams song. Which typically means it's basically good (pretty much everything he writes is), has a great theme and everything, but becomes rather cheesy by being turned into a song, and has cheesy lyrics.

Gollum's Song on the other hand is IMHO a masterpiece and one of the best movie songs ever written. The atmosphere is spot on. The voice is spot on. The arrangement is great. And the lyrics are spot on as well. It still gives me the creeps when I listen to it.

Marian - who only has the orchestral version of the Meji symphony, but loves that.

I won't deny reading tons of reviews and in many of them it was pointed out that Gollum's song might evoke the atmosphere of a James Bond song. Without further specification of what song was meant as a leash for such derivation, in what way does GS resemble the James Bond theme song?

To Saxman: I will surely try to find a copy or at least give it a listen or two first. It sounds pretty interesting, and if for nothing else than just for comparison with Shore's approach.

For Always, with lyrics, is nice little song but doesn't really fit the movie. I'm a bigger fan of the piano version in the finale and the worldless soprano version.

Since I assume we're voting for the versions with lyrics I would say Gollom's song is better just because its more rooted in the movie. For Always (with lyrics) was basically written for the album and thankfully did not make an appearance in the movie. The movie version works wonderfully because it retains its character as a lullaby-like love theme for mother and son.

- Adam

Just a quick thought on the de Meij Symphony...

It really is an incredible piece of work. My personal favorite is the Gandalf fanfare. But any fan of the LOTR HAS to have this in their collection. I have a great recording of the London Symphony Orchestra conducted by David Warble I highly reccomend!

-JCM

The LSO version of de Meij's LOTR symphony is the easiest to find in most stores. And for those who haven't heard this version, it sounds fine. However, the LSO version was NOT arranged by de Meij, who composed the work for wind symphony (significantly different in makeup from a traditional symphony orchestra -- no strings, for example). It is my opinion that the work suffers in adaptation, "like butter scraped over too much bread." If you truly enjoy this symphony, you owe it to yourself to get the most authentic -- and exciting -- rendering of the work. The Ensemble Vents Et Percussion De Québec is fantastic, and conductor René Joly seems to have a much better grasp of the material than David Warble.

If, on the other hand, you lack appreciation for wind symphonies, and feel that real symphonic music must include a string section to be enjoyable ... then I pity your lack of taste/education. ;)

There is also this rather expensive version for military band, which I have not heard.

The band at my High School played one of the movements of that my senior year. I've only heard three of the movements, but yeah, it's good stuff.

When I first heard Gollums Song, I thought that it had a 'Bond Song' quality to it in some parts, particularly the 60s Bond Songs that were accompanied by an orchestra, not the more pop songs of the 70s and 80s.

I, by the way, voted for Gollums Song.

;) 'The Finale' from 1941 (Williams)

For Always gets my vote. It?s a beautiful song, and I have no problem with the lyrics. To me, Gollum?s Song is extremely irritating and, like all things related to the LOTR movies, vastly overrated.

Ray Barnsbury

I just can't listen to For Always, it is sooo cheesy... I must say that I don't really enjoy the instrumental version, either... it sounds too much "pop songish", and the "main line" of the chorus is so simple (the "for aaaaalways, foreeeeeever" part ... even when I didn't know the song, the instrumental version seemed so made to be a song at this spot, because on purely musical basis, these notes are so boring)

Inside A.I., and overall regarding Williams's work, the blue fairy theme is the best vocal theme he has written (IMHO) (and it beats the crap out of Monica's theme) (have I mentioned that if the movie didn't have the largely useless 3rd act, Monica's theme wouldn't even be necessary and we would have left the cinema to the sounds of the blue fairy *dreaming* well, I remember we already had this debate when I joined the ezboard in 2001)

Ok, on to Gollum's Song: If you don't like the voice, you don't like it. I like it, even though it's unusual and a bit irritating, but it fits the song and the character too well... as Marian (or whoever) said, the lyrics are spot on, the voice is spot on, and the athmosphere it evoces is creepy and spine-chilling... it's perfect.

-Chris, who recently bought A.I. on DVD, since it's still one of his favorite movies despite the third act, and who, god knows why, keeps the movie running through the third act (I suspect it's because of the gorgeous "Stored Memories" choral music, and the beginning ice excavation scene, which is still great)

I've been avoiding the 2 versions of For Always ever since i got the score, so i cannot give any meaningfull opinion about them.

However I agree with Marian that Gollum's Song is brilliant, one of the best film songs ever IMO.

As for it being similar to the Bond songs, i noticed that the first time i heard it, it has some of that wonderfull Barry like lyrical string work, and the bold lyrics are kinda akin to some of the Bond songs too.

Stefancos- who cannot imagine ever listening to For Always, and spoil that wonderfull theme with potentially cheesy lyrics (If You read My Mind was bad enough)

Musically I vote For Always hands down. But when you throw the lyrics into the mix then I would go for Gollum's song.

Chris,

Speaking of A.I., I didn't like it at first, because of that third act. But I bought the DVD anyway, and enjoyed it so much better the second time.

A.I. is going to be one of those great cult movies like Bladerunner and may be considered one of the best sci-fi of all time.

On a side note, thanks to Steef my official A.I. cd is gathering dust long since ROTFLMAO

That way I get more great music, and less For Always.

-Chris, who believes the official album should have been left the way the track list was posted some weeks before the final release (with altered track list and doubled FA), since that track list exactly matches the first disc (which is fantastic) of the promo set.

De Meij also arranges many film works, including many williams' work, for Hafabra (Harmonic band, Fanfare band and Brass Band). They really sound great.

Some of Williams' work like the Star Wars Saga.

He has also done compilation of the best known songs of ennio morricone called a moment for morricone, really a great piece. I've played it very recently.

Gollum's song all the way. For Always just has those overdone Oscarbait lyrics. The oscarsongs always have something like "I'll love you always", "you'll be in my heart forever" blah blah blah

Gollum's song is just perfect. And it's so darn sad, it almost makes you cry for thise character.

- Marc

I just can't listen to For Always, it is sooo cheesy...  

I agree with that. I do like the instrumental version, though.

And Gollum's Song is brilliant. (I totally agree with Marc) Somehow I just adore the song: the atmosphere, the voice and the (very creepy!) lyrics. Shore did a great job there.

Joost.

Gollum's song all the way

The song resembles everything Gollum stands for.

The orchestra's play in a very creepy manner. (I don't know how to put it in words) Then the lyrics, the voice a bit gruff and then the text. Superb. The splitt pesonality really appears from the text.

"Now we say goodbye We say you didn't try" Prefect!!!

Shore did a hell of a job!!! The whole soundtrack he did, but that's another discussion, which we already had I believe.

For always all the way. My favourite flim song from john williams of the few i own.

Gollum song is just rasp (~rough), and somewhat ugly (the way it is sung, not the lyrics)

About cheesiness, what can be cheasier than Gollum singing?

They could have at least hired Andy serkis to sing it...

For Always just has those overdone Oscarbait lyrics. The oscarsongs always have something like "I'll love you always", "you'll be in my heart forever" blah blah blah  

Even though it was not used in the film so there's no way it could have been nominated.

Ray Barnsbury

About cheesiness, what can be cheasier than Gollum singing?  

They could have at least hired Andy serkis to sing it...

It's not Gollum singing, I think if Andy Serkis sang it, I would have boycotted the soundtrack.

I heard somewhere that originally it was Bjork intended to perform the Gollum's song.

Is that so? hmmm interesting choice. Would not have sounded bad at all. Why did she decline?

Maybe someone has more on this but I cannot recall more at the moment. My friend nods in agreement but he also cannot recall why she actually dropped out. It could be the income matter. Or just a rumor? Anyway, the lady who performs it on the score is quite resembling of Bjork so I think they really wanted Bjork for that one. I would have expected for the performer to imitate Gollum's lisp but they have probably finished the song long before the character was dubbed so they put every effort in lyrics. But I am entirely uncertain of it all, so don't consider me a trustworthy source.

For Always just has those overdone Oscarbait lyrics. The oscarsongs always have something like "I'll love you always", "you'll be in my heart forever" blah blah blah

Even though it was not used in the film so there's no way it could have been nominated.

Ray Barnsbury

I must have missed that it wasn't used in the film. But anyway, lyrics like that just bother me. I have the soundtrack to The Perfect Storm and the song on that one is also one of those (Yours Forever). So was the song for Pearl Harbor. I don't know if this is really true, but it seems like this ever since My Heart Will Go On won the Oscar. Perhaps it was like that before, but anyway. The lyrics just bother me.

- Marc

:) Qui-Gon And Darth Maul Meet from Star Wars: Episode I -- The Phantom Menace

My vote goes to "Gollum's Song" for a lot of the reasons already stated. It is one of the more appropriate movie songs out there and it fits perfectly with Gollum's character in the film. Yes, it's creepy, its tragic, its sublime, its chill-inducing!

On the other hand, "For Always" is a little too cheesy and a little too muddled for my liking. While the original music is obviously brilliant, the way it has been adapted makes it sound a bit trashy at times. While the lyrics are often silly, I must admit that they do conform well to the music and Lara Fabian has a pretty nice voice (although I much prefer "The Dream Within" from Final Fantsay).

CYPHER - who admires Stefan's self-discipline. Aren't you even a little curious as to what "For Always" sounds like? :)

For always all the way.

Ren where are you help me on this one?? :)

sorry , too busy barfing. :P

Is there some mispelling or grammatical error?

(I forgot the commas quoting the name of the song?)

Luke, who is thinking about creating a list of grammar professors, in order to slice their posts searching for errors :devil:

Luke, who, by the way, got an Honor grade (or whatever is it called the highest mark) in his biomedical course in veterinary science

PS: and yes IT is Gollum singing (well, along with Smeagol), as the dialogue says. And, if not, why the rasp voice?

The oscarsongs always have something like "I'll love you always", "you'll be in my heart forever" blah blah blah

Let's hope that Eminem's Oscar will change this trend.

-Ross, big Eminem fan who thinks that Oscar was one of the really very few ones who were deserved that night

Ummm isn't this a little bit bizzare?

I mean "Gollum's Song" and "For Always"?

The two really have nothing in common other than being songs written for movies.

Anyway I say "For Always" because Gollum's song was utterly terrible IMO.