Indiana Jones 4K UHD Collection

Just finished watching Temple of Doom. Looks even better than Raiders. The visual excess really translates well into 4K disc. The colours really pop. It's just a shame I don't really like the film or score as much. They're both very well made but just...too much. I prefer the more careful and balanced first film.

Karol

KOTCS looks significantly better than it did on Blu or even in the theatre. Shows you just how much Kaminski ruined the look of this film (and how much Spielberg let him).

Still, a dramatic improvement. Not enough to make me ever watch this abomination again mind you, but nice to see someone took some care with it. The other films all look great as well (though none of them had the room for improvement the fifth FOURTH film did).

14 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

KOTCS looks significantly better than it did on Blu or even in the theatre. Shows you just how much Kaminski ruined the look of this film (and how much Spielberg let him).

Still, a dramatic improvement. Not enough to make me ever watch this abomination again mind you, but nice to see someone took some care with it. The other films all look great as well (though none of them had the room for improvement the fifth film did).

The fifth film is still being shot, so I think you've been pranked here.

Watched Least Crusade last night and just finished Crystal Skrull. The 1989 film holds up quite well actually. As silly as it is there's always a sense of cohesion within its own premise. And it feels like such a natural conclusion to the series. The fourth is is worse than I can remember. And it wasn't good to begin with. Sure, there are some strong visuals here and there, particularly in the first half, and some story ideas are cool. I don't actually mind the premise. But the film quickly falls alart as nothing really makes much sense. It's a really sad thing to say but the whole opening sequence is the best part and the most likeable and motivated character is Mutt.

3 looks sreally good, 4 does look better overall. But it still doesn't make it any better. Some of the CGI towards the end is quite bad. 

Really happy with the collection although it is mostly just a lazy repacking of the old set. 

Karol

1 minute ago, crocodile said:

It's a really sad thing to say but the whole opening sequence is the best part and the most likeable and motivated character is Mutt.

It's so sad the only thing I can do is laugh.

• 2 years later...

So I finally checked out these new transfers on Disney Plus. Has anyone else noticed how off the the music sounds in Raiders? A lot of reverb has been added to the point that the trumpets almost sound like synthesizers in a few spots. I know it's not lossless, but it shouldn't sound that bad. Also, the colors are still off. Guess I'll be sticking with my DVDs.

37 minutes ago, Schilkeman said:

Also, the colors are still off. Guess I'll be sticking with my DVDs.

Such irony.

Or whatever.

38 minutes ago, Schilkeman said:

Has anyone else noticed how off the the music sounds in Raiders? A lot of reverb has been added

Probably to simulate surround. remember that 7.1 atmos wasn't even a thought in 1981

30 minutes ago, Presto said:

Such irony.

Or whatever.

Probably to simulate surround. remember that 7.1 atmos wasn't even a thought in 1981

I can't remember what the blurays sounded like, but the DVDs don't sound like that, and it's a surround mix. I'm not sure what the problem is, but it sounds off.

1 hour ago, Schilkeman said:

I can't remember what the blurays sounded like, but the DVDs don't sound like that, and it's a surround mix. I'm not sure what the problem is, but it sounds off.

The DVDs were 5.1 and so had less channels: fronts, center, rears, LFE

The Blu-Ray's were also 5.1.

7.1 has fronts, center, sides, rears (and LFE?) not to mention the whole upwards firing thing.