The Force Awakens is probably the last thing in my life I ever looked forward to as much as I did

Bayesian

11 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Here's a special secret message, just for Jurassic Shark:

Reveal hidden contents

When you write about seeing specific films on initial release, you should not be surprised that people narrow down your age.

@bruce marshall, his name is Richard.

I can relate somewhat to a lot of this. I feel like my own excitement about upcoming movies has just generally decreased with age. Probably very normal.

Part of it is just a scarcity thing, I'm sure. It's great to have near-instantaneous access to almost any noteworthy film or show, including a steady stream of new Star Wars content from the last 5 years, but to get really hyped about something, you've got to be denied it for a while.

32 minutes ago, Datameister said:

Part of it is just a scarcity thing, I'm sure. It's great to have near-instantaneous access to almost any noteworthy film or show, including a steady stream of new Star Wars content from the last 5 years, but to get really hyped about something, you've got to be denied it for a while.

Hm. I think, I don't agree. It is mainly a matter of the quality of the content.

The main reason why my excitement about start wars decreased that much in the recent years is the dissapointment on so many aspects of the recent Star Wars content from Disney. The Rise of Skywalker was the death blow in conjunction with the Mandalorian soundtrack. I treat everyone to enjoy current Star Wars content. Simply I can't. At least not in the way I used to. Last time was probably Rogue One.

The last time I was genuinely over the top excited about a film was the first time I saw the ROTK trailer. "Become who you were born to be"  and  "I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me..." (that latter of which is a different, and superior, delivery of the line than the one in the film) still gives me chills.  Just an amazing trailer. Was so excited to see ROTK I flew from Moscow, where I was living at the time, to Amsterdam just to see it opening weekend.

2 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

Last time I was genuinely over the top excited about a film was the first time I saw the ROTK trailer. "Become who you were born to be" 

You mean that was an actual line from a movie? I thought it was just something Stefan said to me once.

1 minute ago, The Big Man said:

You mean that was an actual line from a movie? I thought it was just something Stefan said to me once.

Well have you?

37 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

The last time I was genuinely over the top excited about a film was the first time I saw the ROTK trailer. "Become who you were born to be"  and  "I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me..." (that latter of which is a different, and superior, delivery of the line than the one in the film) still gives me chills.  Just an amazing trailer. Was so excited to see ROTK I flew from Moscow, where I was living at the time, to Amsterdam just to see it opening weekend.

Who wants to live in Moscow if they don't have to? Are you a LotR spy or something?

1 minute ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Who wants to live in Moscow if they don't have to? Are you a LotR spy or something?

Let's see now....

I can live in Moscow where it's always winter and it's run by kleptocrats

Or

I can live in Amsredam, the most liberal, social democracy in the world?

Hmmmm......

I'll have to sleep on that

It is obvious, that the people currently developing star wars content don't have the point of view of the inventers who made this stuff up from scratch more or less out of nowhere or from all the known classical references.

They have the view of people that grew up accepting it as given and existing, so they just play around with it, quote it, repeat it or bring in ideas that where already overused at the time Star Wars was created and why Lucas avoided them. Exception to a certain degree, I have to admit is Dave Filoni.

It is a little bit like composers who claim to admire John Williams music but are not able to achieve the depts of his work. Even if some people say Williams refuses to evolve. I think, we heavily evolved. With Star Wars, Empire, Indy and others he made heroic marches in filmscores popular, and while almost all other composers afterwards were starting and still writing marches for their adventure movies Williams moved on and did something else.

7 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

Hm. I think, I don't agree. It is mainly a matter of the quality of the content.

The main reason why my excitement about start wars decreased that much in the recent years is the dissapointment on so many aspects of the recent Star Wars content from Disney. The Rise of Skywalker was the death blow in conjunction with the Mandalorian soundtrack. I treat everyone to enjoy current Star Wars content. Simply I can't. At least not in the way I used to. Last time was probably Rogue One.

Sure, I think disappointments totally play a role in it, too. In the world of Disney Star Wars, my biggest disappointment was probably TLJ. Although the film has grown on me since, that letdown definitely affected my excitement about what's come after. And the way TROS failed to bring the whole trilogy together didn't help.

But I still maintain that scarcity is a factor, at least for me. It's a lot harder to get truly excited about something that's always easily and plentifully available.

10 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It was for work. Amazing city in many ways. I had the greatest walk from my flat to work, via Red Square. And some of the most beautiful women you'll ever see. I enjoyed my time there, but it starts to be soul crushing if you stay too long.  St. Petersburg is much nicer.

It's strange. For me, I was always very suspicious of The Force Awakens. So even while I thought the trailers were great, I went in a little arms crossed and after seeing it, I let myself get swept up with the hype because why not? It was fun.

Of course that deflated hard two years later.

5 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

It was for work. Amazing city in many ways. I had the greatest walk from my flat to work, via Red Square. And some of the most beautiful women you'll ever see. I enjoyed my time there, but it starts to be soul crushing if you stay too long.  St. Petersburg is much nicer.

Moscow is a great city.

Oozes history everywhere.

19 hours ago, The Big Man said:

Anyone else a bit over SW? Like I can't get excited over this shit anymore. I mean I still like occasionally indulging in the older stuff, like a trip down memory lane now and then. But the new shit just feels like another entry on the conveyor belt to me now.

On this forum? It seems to be all these people have.

There hasn't been a good SUPERMAN film since 1978.

What is wrong with.YOU PEOPLE?!*😵😡😠😳

* WB execs

19 minutes ago, AC1 said:

I know I did.

Maybe you can bring Shark with you.😝