John Williams Chronology

Ricard

Here are the dates of the two performances of the extensively revised version of John Williams's symphony, the original version of which was premiered by the Houston Symphony Orchestra in 1966:

• 1972/07/08 - André Previn conducts the London Symphony Orchestra in John Williams's symphony at the Albert Hall in Nottingham (not to be confused with the Royal Albert Hall in London)
  • 1972/07/09 - André Previn conducts the London Symphony Orchestra in John Williams's symphony at the Royal Festival Hall in London, with Williams and fellow film composer Bernard Herrmann also in attendance

32 minutes ago, Omen II said:

Here are the dates of the two performances of the extensively revised version of John Williams's symphony, the original version of which was premiered by the Houston Symphony Orchestra in 1966:

• 1972/07/08 - André Previn conducts the London Symphony Orchestra in John Williams's symphony at the Albert Hall in Nottingham (not to be confused with the Royal Albert Hall in London)
  • 1972/07/09 - André Previn conducts the London Symphony Orchestra in John Williams's symphony at the Royal Festival Hall in London, with Williams and fellow film composer Bernard Herrmann also in attendance

@Omen II Do we know if Williams was in attendance for the first night?

4 minutes ago, KittBash said:

@Omen II Do we know if Williams was in attendance for the first night?

I don’t know. It is quite possible (Nottingham is about 130 miles from London and easy to get to by train) but very little information has ever surfaced online about the Nottingham concert, other than a brief newspaper review.

Yeah, reading Maurizio's article on the Symphony - https://thelegacyofjohnwilliams.com/2019/10/08/john-williams-early-concert-works/

it mentions, the same as you did, he was at the London concert with Herrman but nothing the night before. Yet another mystery :)

1978/07/28 John Williams conducts the LA Philharmonic, Hollywood Bowl

1978/07/29 John Williams conducts the LA Philharmonic, Hollywood Bowl

These were the first concerts he conducted in the Hollywood Bowl and some of his very first public concerts.

Source:https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1998-aug-06-ca-10429-story.html

Another suggestion regarding the concert-category:

It should differentiate between a full concert and a guest appearance e.g. when he conducted the two encores on 2023/08/11 it is a guest appearance rather than a concert. Also since 2014 he had a co-conductor in many concerts. So maybe it should be differentiated between: Concert, Co-Concert, Guest Appearance.

4 hours ago, Steve said:

These were the first concerts he conducted in the Hollywood Bowl and some of his very first public concerts

A delineation should be made between 'first public concerts' and 'first public concerts as conductor of a big symphony orchestra'. He was doing public concerts (as conductor/band leader/whatever) already in the late 40s.

4 hours ago, Steve said:

1978/07/28 John Williams conducts the LA Philharmonic, Hollywood Bowl

1978/07/29 John Williams conducts the LA Philharmonic, Hollywood Bowl

These were the first concerts he conducted in the Hollywood Bowl and some of his very first public concerts.

Hey @Steve

Absolutely, if memory serves these are the ones that he replaced Fiedler on were they not? I had them on my list but hadn't spent the time to narrow the dates so Thanks for those.

4 hours ago, Steve said:

Another suggestion regarding the concert-category:

It should differentiate between a full concert and a guest appearance e.g. when he conducted the two encores on 2023/08/11 it is a guest appearance rather than a concert. Also since 2014 he had a co-conductor in many concerts. So maybe it should be differentiated between: Concert, Co-Concert, Guest Appearance.

Agreed, it's been getting a little unwieldily in the concert sections so this could be a good way to fix that... I'll see if I can get some time to implement this Thanks again!

Just now, Thor said:

A delineation should be made between 'first public concerts' and 'first public concerts as conductor of a big symphony orchestra'. He was doing public concerts (as conductor/band leader/whatever) already in the late 40s.

Very much agreed, I'll work that in too thanks @Thor

4 hours ago, Damien F said:

@KittBash

I don't see on the spreadsheet this interview from 1978

https://jwfan.com/?p=8550

Good catch @Damien F I had it on my list for a future update as "Adrian Love Interview Alternatives (Capital FM), February 1978" but this may help me narrow it down more! Thanks! 

5 minutes ago, Thor said:

Yes, true. We will likely never know when he conducted big bands in concert before his orchestra career.

He said himself that these '78 concerts were like a starting point in his career as a public conductor of symphony orchestras.

12 minutes ago, Steve said:

Yes, true. We will likely never know when he conducted big bands in concert before his orchestra career.

He said himself that these '78 concerts were like a starting point in his career as a public conductor of symphony orchestras.

Well, we do know SOME things, based on old Times Magazine articles and other sources. For example, he played in a high school band, he played piano during air force dances and probably also conducted the bands themselves on occasion, he played with the Eugene Loring Ballet Group, he played in New York night/jazz clubs, and several other things -- all of this from the late 40s to the mid 50s. So the public concert thing goes way, way back. But in terms of a big symphony orchestra, I'm not sure what the proper conductor debut is. I'm guessing mid 60s, but perhaps it's as late as the 70s.

On 15/08/2023 at 3:50 PM, Jay said:

9. None But The Brave

10. John Goldfarb, Please Come Home

Am I correct that John Goldfarb was released after, but composed before, None But the Brave? I think the only other time films were released in a different order than they were composed is with Midway, correct?

1 hour ago, Chen G. said:

Superb work!

Feels like we should try to include concerts that Williams is known to have attended.

Thanks @Chen G.

I've actually started trying to gather those... I have an upcoming update that should add just under 300 new entries to the chronology, including some events/concerts he's attended. I've been going through as many old articles as I can find, http://johnwilliams.org/ has an excellent bibliography that has been a good resource (Google's newspaper archives have been valuable), as well as I've gone through Getty images, AP image sources and other editorial image banks looking for shots of Williams at events etc.

If anyone knows of some other sources I'm happy to go through them too! 

• 2 weeks later...

Great work, Kitt! I hope you'll have the stamina to continue. I know from experience that motivation sometimes teters out a bit after a while. Btw, BIG G remains a mystery. It's been on JW filmographies since the 90s, but nobody knows what it is. I've not been able to find any trace of it in television, nor films or anything else. Perhaps just leave it off for now. FLASHING SPIKES is an episode of ALCOA (S02E01), as you might have gleaned from listening to my TV podcast.

16 minutes ago, Thor said:

FLASHING SPIKES is an episode of ALCOA (S02E01), as you might have gleaned from listening to my TV podcast.

Thanks @Thor Yeah I did learn that from your podcast :) I just haven't updated it in the doc yet... I have a list of upcoming items that weren't ready but that change didn't make it yet.. 

EDIT: went back made that change and removed Big G

@KittBash

Another event which John Williams attended as an audience member was the concert given by the John Wilson Orchestra at Royce Hall in Los Angeles on 25th October 2013.  We know that Williams attended because LSO percussionist David Jackson (also a member of the JWO) posted a photograph of Williams with John Wilson backstage.  Unfortunately I can no longer find the photograph online.

It is the concert described here.  I seem to remember that Larry King was also in the photograph.

Hey @Naïve Old Fart The UK concerts have certainly been interesting to pin down. Some like the 1998 ones you mention were easy and can be found in the sheet already [lines 1757 - 1760 of the current sheet]

The 86 concert on the other hand has been a little more difficult to actually find ANYTHING on.... I believe it's you who mentions it in this thread here on JWFan and I have it on my little list of things I'm trying to confirm before they go into the sheet but I haven't found a sniff of this concert anywhere yet. Even the Royal Albert Hall Archives only list the 76, 78, 80, & 85 concerts. Does anyone have any other info on this one?

1 hour ago, KittBash said:

@Naïve Old Fart Even the Royal Albert Hall Archives only list the 76, 78, 80, & 85 concerts. Does anyone have any other info on this one?

What I can tell you is that I was there, that it was compared by Richard Attenborough, and that John Scott conducted his own scores, as well. It was definitely late March/early April.

After the brilliance of the 1982 Barbican concert, it was a bit of a letdown.

Regarding concerts/events Williams attended, he was part of the Bowl welcoming event of Gustavo Dudamel. I think I have video grabs of that one on some back up disc.

https://www.laphil.com/press/releases/967

He attended Dudamel 's 1st season opening concert that featured the premiere of Adams' City Noir and Mahler's Titan at Disney Hall. He can be seen in the audience very briefly on the DG DVD release.

I also remember that someone saw him at the premiere of Goldenthal's opera Grendel (maybe someone at FSM boards).

8 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

What I can tell you is that I was there,

@Naïve Old Fart Oh I don't doubt you! Records on this stuff are spotty and I haven't given up :)

Richard Attenborough, and that John Scott conducted his own scores, as well. It was definitely late March/early April.

So I can keep digging and hopefully find something on this one, are you sure about the time of year? Here in this post from 2010 you mention it may have been January.

After the brilliance of the 1982 Barbican concert, it was a bit of a letdown.

That's too bad sounds memorable in the wrong way! 

Well this one is illusive to say the least! The closest I can find is Filmharmonic '85 [Nov 1985] which has all the same folks right down to Scott conducting part of it and Attenborough hosting the event! https://catalogue.royalalberthall.com/Record.aspx?src=CalmView.Performance&id=Uboz_Mav_Geag&pos=1

@Naïve Old Fart Was there a piece played or something that you remember that isn't in that 85 playlist that maybe I can look for? 

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I don't know what's in the '85 playlist, but he conducted "The Asteroid Field". That's just about all I can remember.

Would some John Scott fans be able to help?

Asteroid field was also in the 85 program you can see that program at the link in my last post or in this spoiler block. 

Spoiler

Fanfare for Filmharmonic', Gregory (Fanfare Trumpeters of the Central Band of the RAF),
March 'The Dam Busters', Coates (London Symphony Orchestra)

John Gregory - Laughter and Music and Stars That Shine:
'Vienna,City of My Dreams' (Heart's Desire), Lockton-Sieczynski, arr. Gregory (London Symphony Orchestra),
'Far Away in a Shanty Town' (Glamorous Night), Novello, arr. Gregory (London Symphony Orchestra),
'Love Will Find a Way' (Maid of the Mountains), Fraser-Simson-Graham, arr. Gregory (London Symphony Orchestra),
'A Bachelor Gay', Tate-Harris-Valentine, arr. Gregory (London Symphony Orchestra),
'Serenade' (Blossom Time), Schubert, arr. Gregory (London Symphony Orchestra),
'On with the Dance, Spread a Little Happiness' (Mr Cinders) Ellis, arr. Gregory (London Symphony Orchestra),
And introducing the Stephen Hill Singers

Firsts!:
'Blackmail', Bath-Stafford, arr. Gregory (London Symphony Orchestra),
'The Hasty Heart', Beaver, arr. Gregory (London Symphony Orchestra),
'Brighton Rock', May, arr. Gregory (London Symphony Orchestra)

Rail and Yellowbrick Road:
'Perks Must Be About It, Finale' (Railway Children), Douglas (London Symphony Orchestra),
'Ragtime March' (Return to Oz), Shire (London Symphony Orchestra)

John Scott - This Year, Next Year:
'Adela's Theme' (A Passage to India), Jarre (London Symphony Orchestra),
'Paso Doble, Main Theme, Election March' (Monsignor Quixote), Abril, arr. Simpson (London Symphony Orchestra, Colin Downs)

The Puttnam Collection:
'Going Home' (Local Hero), Knopfler, arr. Scott (London Symphony Orchestra),
'That'll be the Day', Petty-Holly-Allison, arr. Scott (London Symphony Orchestra),
'Love's Theme' (Midnight Express), Moroder, arr. Scott (London Symphony Orchestra),
'The Long Road' (Cal), Knopfler, arr. Scott (London Symphony Orchestra),
'Pran's Theme,Requiem for a City, Departure', Oldfield, arr. Scott (London Symphony Orchestra),
'Chariots of Fire', Vangelis (London Symphony Orchestra)

'Greystoke', Scott (London Symphony Orchestra),
'Tarzan Lord of the Apes','
'The Family',
'Pygmy Attack',
'Greystoke' (Elgar's 1st Symphony)
'Tarzan Leaves the Jungle',
'The Dancing Lesson' (Sontag Polka by D'Albert)
'Return to the Jungle'

Stanley Black:
'Captain Horatio Hornblower RN', Farnon (London Symphony Orchestra)

HMS Lydia, Lady Barbara, Battle with the French CLIFF!
'Wonderful Life', Welch-Bennett, arr. Black (London Symphony Orchestra),
'Summer Holiday', Welch-Bennett, arr. Black (London Symphony Orchestra),
'The Young Ones', Tepper-Bennett, arr. Black (London Symphony Orchestra),
'Mood Mambo' (The Young Ones), Black (London Symphony Orchestra)

'Reilly Ace of Spies', Shostakovich, arr. Rabinowitz, Black (London Symphony Orchestra),
'The Dark Crystal', Jones (London Symphony Orchestra),
Jen and Kira, The Funerals, The Dark Crystal, Brian Gascoigne, David Lawson

Gemma Craven:
'Silly Love Songs'(Give My Regards to Broadway), McCartney, arr. Pete Moore (Gemma Craven, London Symphony Orchestra),
'Never Say Never Again', Legrand, arr. Pete Moore (Gemma Craven, Stanley Black),
'Can't Stop the Music', Morali, arr. Pete Moore (Gemma Craven, London Symphony Orchestra)
INTERVAL
John Williams - Raiders of the Lost Ark (London Symphony Orchestra),
'Raiders March', 
'Marion's Theme'

The Star Wars Trilogy - Return of the Jedi (London Symphony Orchestra),
'Parade of the Ewoks, Luke and Leia',
'Battle in the Forest'

Maragret Gingerhut:
'Theme from the Go-Between', Legrand, Margaret Fingerhut (London Symphony Orchestra),
'Theme from Baxter', Lewis, Margaret Fingerhut (London Symphony Orchestra),
'The Mansell Concerto' (The Woman's Angle), Smith, Margaret Fingerhut (London Symphony Orchestra)

The Trilogy II - Unexpected Themes:
'The Asteroid Field' from The Empire Strikes Back, Williams (London Symphony Orchestra),
'Cantina Band' from Star Wars, Williams (London Symphony Orchestra)

The Trology III - Where it All Began:
'End Title Music' (Star Wars), Williams (London Symphony Orchestra),
'God Save the Queen' (The National Anthem)

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

In that case, I remembered it incorrectly, and it was November, 1985.

My apologies.

No apologies necessary, just glad it may be mystery solved! 

If you find any other dates to add please don't hesitate to post'em! 

So a little update to the Chronology project today... more of a little treat for some of us who don't have these all saved on our hard drives like others of us! 

Lets call it a little scavenger hunt in the Chronology.
I know this will be easy for a few of us so hopefully we have a little fun.

I was going through some old data DVD's and I found a digitized copy of an old Evening at Pops broadcast that I had on VHS. Normally that's not a big deal but, first hint here, I remembered that I've only ever seen parts of this broadcast in black and white on YouTube before (at least last time I looked).  In this case it is in color, with pretty good sound and the full broadcast instead of a segment or two. I've uploaded this episode to YouTube but it is a private for now so the only link is in the sources in latest copy of the Chronology project coinciding with the recording of this episode. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Sgepya2i8LU2TPesQRGltWtQJ7yNXDCOubwqDKqwg4I/edit?usp=sharing

As a second hint here is a screenshot from the episode. [hopefully this doesn't make it too easy]

image.png

Happy hunting! 

11 hours ago, KittBash said:

So a little update to the Chronology project today... more of a little treat for some of us who don't have these all saved on our hard drives like others of us! 

Lets call it a little scavenger hunt in the Chronology.
I know this will be easy for a few of us so hopefully we have a little fun.

I was going through some old data DVD's and I found a digitized copy of an old Evening at Pops broadcast that I had on VHS. Normally that's not a big deal but, first hint here, I remembered that I've only ever seen parts of this broadcast in black and white on YouTube before (at least last time I looked).  In this case it is in color, with pretty good sound and the full broadcast instead of a segment or two. I've uploaded this episode to YouTube but it is a private for now so the only link is in the sources in latest copy of the Chronology project coinciding with the recording of this episode. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Sgepya2i8LU2TPesQRGltWtQJ7yNXDCOubwqDKqwg4I/edit?usp=sharing

As a second hint here is a screenshot from the episode. [hopefully this doesn't make it too easy]

image.png

I don't think this was ever posted in complete form. The black and white files, as far as I remember the story, came from a ntsc to pal transfer. During the transfer the colour info was discarded.

• 1 month later...

The chronology marks the release of the Checkmate album 7 months before the show's premiere. I find that rather unusual! Could anyone with access to the FSM booklet (I don't have it) confirm the album's recording dates and/or release date?

11 hours ago, The Lost Folio said:

The chronology marks the release of the Checkmate album 7 months before the show's premiere. I find that rather unusual! Could anyone with access to the FSM booklet (I don't have it) confirm the album's recording dates and/or release date?

I guess it must have been a typing error.

The Checkmate album was recorded on November 17, December 1 & 9, 1960 and released in February 1961.

4 hours ago, Junion said:

I guess it must have been a typing error.

The Checkmate album was recorded on November 17, December 1 & 3, 1960 and released in February 1961.

IT was indeed very much a typo as the notes clearly say

"Today, few people remember much about Checkmate, but those who do recall the show do so in large part because of its music--not the actual episode scores, but rather a soundtrack album released by Columbia Records on February 13, 1961."

And my brain fowled it and made it 1960

This WILL be corrected :) Thanks guys! 

Also for the recording dates the notes have them as 

1960/11/17
1960/12/01
1960/12/09

I will add them as well. 

• 1 month later...

Hope you’re still open to more additions, @KittBash! If so, the Hook recording dates showing in the last version above don’t quite match up with the information in the Ultimate Edition’s liner notes:

Recorded and Mixed by Shawn Murphy on June 13, October 15, 16, 18, 19, 21, 22, 24, 26, November 9 and 13, 1991, at the Barbra Streisand Scoring Stage formerly known as Westside Studio Services), Culver City, California

Additional Material Recorded and Mixed by Armin Steiner on March 7, 15, April 2, 25, 29, October 26 and November 2, 1991, at the Newman Scoring Stage, Century City, California

The first set of dates must have had JW in attendance for conducting duties, but it’s less clear (to me, at least) whether he would have been present at all of the Armin Steiner dates.

Elsewhere in the liner notes, there’s also this:

On October 24, 1990, Williams phoned Bricusse at his home in the south of France to tell him that the songs "worked beautifully," the lyricist related. "Then John said, 'Hold on, the other line's ringing,' and he came back in a few minutes and said, "That was Steven; how would you like to work on Hook?' So it happened just like that."

Plus the information that JW moved his office in autumn 1986  from Century City, where he’d been for 22 years (i.e. since 1964) to the Amblin complex on the Universal lot.

Mark

9 hours ago, QuartalHarmony said:

Hope you’re still open to more additions, @KittBash! If so, the Hook recording dates showing in the last version above don’t quite match up with the information in the Ultimate Edition’s liner notes:

Recorded and Mixed by Shawn Murphy on June 13, October 15, 16, 18, 19, 21, 22, 24, 26, November 9 and 13, 1991, at the Barbra Streisand Scoring Stage formerly known as Westside Studio Services), Culver City, California

Additional Material Recorded and Mixed by Armin Steiner on March 7, 15, April 2, 25, 29, October 26 and November 2, 1991, at the Newman Scoring Stage, Century City, California

The first set of dates must have had JW in attendance for conducting duties, but it’s less clear (to me, at least) whether he would have been present at all of the Armin Steiner dates.

Elsewhere in the liner notes, there’s also this:

On October 24, 1990, Williams phoned Bricusse at his home in the south of France to tell him that the songs "worked beautifully," the lyricist related. "Then John said, 'Hold on, the other line's ringing,' and he came back in a few minutes and said, "That was Steven; how would you like to work on Hook?' So it happened just like that."

Plus the information that JW moved his office in autumn 1986  from Century City, where he’d been for 22 years (i.e. since 1964) to the Amblin complex on the Universal lot.

Mark

@QuartalHarmony I’m always open to more!!! So thanks.
I actually had the same idea (great minds and all) and started to update my working copy on the 23rd with this same info since I finally got my copy and have started going through it. (What a great release) So it’s all coming in the next update!

Thanks again and by all means point things out here!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
16 hours ago, Arnaud2 said:

What a fantastic project and what a great resource! I am amazed.

Thanks @Arnaud2 I've really enjoyed putting it together so far and there's always more updates coming. I also have a couple other projects on the go that I'm going to release when they hit a point that I've gone through and made sure they are not full of errors. One of them is a sheet tracking all of the orchestra performers across the Williams scores that we know of. 

For the Chronology, my hope is to keep growing it and make it as comprehensive as possible. That said if anyone has any sources you think are great places to look I'm always on the lookout to keep things going.