THE BOYS

Quintus

Anyone else heard of this new anti superhero show called The Boys? I heard it's has this astonishing plane rescue sequence that has blown viewers away, and the premise itself actually doesn't bore me to tears either, so I'm gonna fast track this one.

• 3 weeks later...

Saw the first episode of The Boys, and boy does it look amazing. Especially in HDR, the contrast levels... this is how all high end TV should look. Even the heavy use of vignetting - normally a no no - helps to highlight what is some slick as hell photography work, brimming with detail and energy in every shot. I love this. 

As for the content itself, I'm into it so far. A pleasingly dark twist on the done to death superhero lore. I'll stick with it. 

• 2 weeks later...

The Boys is easily, easily the best thing I've seen this year. Granted, I've actually watched very little in the way of new content in 2019 (I thought I watched The Terror this year however I think that was last autumn), but damn this nasty superhero twist on Marv -scratch that: The Boys is entirely its own thing. It's badass. 

This guy:

RyIfiBT.png

is scary as fuck.

The Watchmen better watch out ;)

I watched it with the kid (who loves all things superhero) and I thought it was a much better watch than our previous encounters of superhero TV series (Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, Daredevil, blah, blah, blah, ...)

Yesterday I started watching The Spy.

the-spy-netflix-poster.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Watched the first season of The Boys. It's enjoyable and with some good ideas even some of the plotting and dialogue feel bit stale. It starts off really strong but the second half loses its edge and becomes a tad too "soapy". For the TV/film superhero it might seem like a breath of fresh air but this sort "subversion" for comic book readers feels all too familiar. It's been done before many many times before but that doesn't change the fact the show is mostly enjoyable. I'll probably check out the new season in September.

I will say this: if they're looking for the new Wolverine Karl Urban is the guy.

Karol

46 minutes ago, crocodile said:

I will say this: if they're looking for the new Wolverine Karl Urban is the guy.

But ... he's already Dredd. We mustn't confuse the people.

dredd-karl-urban-slice-600x200.jpg

Along with Barry, The Boys was one of my favourite TV surprises last year. I frickin loved it! With the significantly inflated budget it's been given, I'm really looking forward to the big second season, once it eventually arrives. This show was for me the perfect antidote to Marvel mania.

4 hours ago, AC1 said:

But ... he's already Dredd. We mustn't confuse the people.

So you're basically saying if someone plays Hamlet then cannot be Macbeth?

3 hours ago, Quintus said:

Along with Barry, The Boys was one of my favourite TV surprises last year. I frickin loved it! With the significantly inflated budget it's been given, I'm really looking forward to the big second season, once it eventually arrives. This show was for me the perfect antidote to Marvel mania.

I'm curious where it goes. I think there's potential in there.

Karol

If it hadn't been for the aeroplane episode, I don't think I'd have been quite so swept up with it all, but it would still have been one of the better things I saw recently.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
38 minutes ago, who cares said:

He plays a brilliantly conniving asshole. 

The character and the actor who plays him are this show's hook. Every scene he's in is electrifying, especially in the sense of Homelander's petulant and sudden unpredictability. It's not possible to be around a more dangerous person, but the grinning facade he puts on makes the acquaintances in his presence just about able to tolerate and manage their fear. It's frightfully good viewing! Amazon hit the jackpot in a way they surely could never expected when they cast the role.

4bfc2998611470be4f2fb7030a175954fbaadb6c

Watching the second season of The Boys. It's good, maybe even better than the first, but I get this strange sensation this cynical bleakness will be soon passé. It's not what we need right now. Had the same feeling while watching Tenet.

Karol

Told you before. It's been done to death before. By the time Watchmen film came out in 2009 it was already old. The nostalgic superhero crap vs. "subversive" superhero crap are the only two things they can think of. Always the same. 🙄

My point is people might not be so keen on it after months of anxiety and misery. Surely you can see that.

Karol

^This is why I think what looks like the bleakness of the Pattinson Batman might just turn out to be a mistake, and also partially why I think the new Bill and Ted movie might well be a bigger hit than Tenet. 

On a related note and on a previous post ... I enjoy Brooklyn Nine-Nine, I'd agree that it takes a season or two to properly 'warm up'. But I must admit my heart sank a bit when I heard that in the wake of George Floyd and BLM, the writers had scrapped any episodes of the next season that they'd written already and are considering how to deal with it in the show, the 'difficulties' of writing a sitcom that broadly portrays cops in a positive light now etc. 

I mean ... would it be so bad to just let the many, many cop dramas deal with it instead? The show already has strong issue representation (but thankfully mostly in a way that doesn't get annoying) as it is, its anti-racism stance is already very clear. Can't a cop comedy just continue to provide light relief in these shitty times?  

Case in point ... the first episode of Friends that aired after 9/11 had the onscreen caption 'Dedicated To The People Of New York City' at the end, and that was their sole acknowledgement of it. And I don't think they got accused of 'not doing enough'.       

3 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

^This is why I think what looks like the bleakness of the Pattinson Batman might just turn out to be a mistake, and also partially why I think the new Bill and Ted movie might well be a bigger hit than Tenet. 

Batman or Tenet aren't about 9/11 or COVID-19. It's still sheer escapism, despite the use of dim light. 

Tying the two together, at least the Nolan Bats trilogy had the likes of the banter between Bruce and Alfred/Lucius, the Joker stumbling down the street in a nurses' outfit, Gordon seeing the Batmobile and exclaiming 'I gotta get me one of those!'. The new one looks like it will be excluding that sort of thing.  

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

Told you before. It's been done to death before. By the time Watchmen film came out in 2009 it was already old. The nostalgic superhero crap vs. "subversive" superhero crap are the only two things they can think of. Always the same. 🙄

My point is people might not be so keen on it after months of anxiety and misery. Surely you can see that.

Karol

I mean you say you're enjoying it so I dunno, you either watch it or you don't. Just seems an odd complaint to have about something you're actually engaged with and being otherwise positive about. 

I can't imagine me watching Amazon's Lord of the Rings spin off, thoroughly enjoyed it and then going, "hmm, this needs to end soon because people will be getting sick of high fantasy".

To me stuff like The Boys and whatever I else I watch is pure escapism.

What a strange discussion :lol:

2 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Case in point ... the first episode of Friends that aired after 9/11 had the onscreen caption 'Dedicated To The People Of New York City' at the end, and that was their sole acknowledgement of it. And I don't think they got accused of 'not doing enough'.       

They also filmed a completely new b plot for "The One Where Rachel Tells..." involving Chandler and Monica's honeymoon, because the b plot they originally shot involved them joking about bombs in an airport and getting interrogated by airport security