James Newton Howard & Xander Rodzinski - WILLOW (2022)

Edmilson

Well done, and very fast work, JNHFan2000!

The music for episode 5 on Volume 2 is not completely chronological. The "Brownies!" track is spit in two with some overlap: the first use of Horner's original Brownies motif is heard once on this track and twice in the episode. When the track is split in two, the first part ends with it and the second part opens with the same notes. Also, "One Ones Left" plays after "Truly Live" and the track "Advice" is not heard completely in the show. 

Here's my breakdown of episode 5:

Time for Some Mayhem - Arre Lariel
Vol 2.10 Butterflies 
Vol 2.11 The Wrong Hands
Vol 2.12 Scorpia
Vol 2.13 Brownies! (0:00 - 0:45)
Vol 2.14 Escape Tales
Vol 2.13 Brownies! (0:40 - end) 
Vol 2.16 Bone Reaver Brawl 
Vol 2.17 Truly Live!
Vol 2.15 One Ones Left
Vol 2.18 Returned (0:00 -1:00)
Crimson and Clover - Pom Pom Squad
Vol 2.18 Returned (1:01 - end)
Vol 2.19 Advice (0:00 - 1:10)
Vol 2.20 Wanting To Say
Vol 2.21 Party's Over

Has anyone been able to figure out what are all the different themes and what they mean? Apart from Horner's original themes, so far I have gone through the first 2 volumes, and I have yet to see the last two episodes, but I think I figured out 4 different ideas by Howard.

First is what seems to be the new main theme, that is used to represent the group, their journey and their heroic actions. It's the one that plays in Succeed or Fail, at the beginning of Treasure Hunter or at 3:00 of Compounding Issues for example.

Then we have two separate ideas for Elora Danan, first a classic Howard fantasy motif. This idea usually played on an ondulating piano seems to represent her innocent side, and pops up in the second half of Castle Romances, at the beginning of You Are Extraordinary or at 2:17 of The High Tower.

Then there is another theme that represents Elora Danan's royal side, and plays in more emotional scenes for her, like at 1:58 of Last Best Hope, at 0:56 of The Mark or at 2:42 of No Recipe.

And there's also a dark motif for The Gales that pops up mostly through the Courtyard Attack cue from Volume 3, and which you can hear at 0:14, 1:40, etc, doing battle with Howard's theme for the heroes.

And I'm sure there are some more, because going through the albums, I noticed some ideas that could be themes, but I haven't figured out what they mean. Also, I tried to post some YouTube links to better clarify this but it seems the soundtrack is not there, at least yet.

24 minutes ago, Knight of Ren said:

Has anyone been able to figure out what are all the different themes and what they mean? Apart from Horner's original themes, so far I have gone through the first 2 volumes, and I have yet to see the last two episodes, but I think I figured out 4 different ideas by Howard.

First is what seems to be the new main theme, that is used to represent the group, their journey and their heroic actions. It's the one that plays in Succeed or Fail, at the beginning of Treasure Hunter or at 3:00 of Compounding Issues for example.

Then we have two separate ideas for Elora Danan, first a classic Howard fantasy motif. This idea usually played on an ondulating piano seems to represent her innocent side, and pops up in the second half of Castle Romances, at the beginning of You Are Extraordinary or at 2:17 of The High Tower.

Then there is another theme that represents Elora Danan's royal side, and plays in more emotional scenes for her, like at 1:58 of Last Best Hope, at 0:56 of The Mark or at 2:42 of No Recipe.

And there's also a dark motif for The Gales that pops up mostly through the Courtyard Attack cue from Volume 3, and which you can hear at 0:14, 1:40, etc, doing battle with Howard's theme for the heroes.

And I'm sure there are some more, because going through the albums, I noticed some ideas that could be themes, but I haven't figured out what they mean. Also, I tried to post some YouTube links to better clarify this but it seems the soundtrack is not there, at least yet.

Are all themes introduced in the JNH-scored episodes or does Rodzinski has some original themes of his own?

Not sure about themes just by Rodzinski.

I do believe the grunting vocals in A Fine Welcome are a theme the Trolls.

And in the final episode The Gale/Crone/Wyrm theme is more prominent in the episode than on album. There is a really cool statement of it that should be in "Help Arrives", but about a minute of the cue is not on album.

And I think The Bone Reavers have more of a sound, than really a theme.

I do have to hand it to Rodzinski for the amount of different emotions he is able to get oht of the main theme. There are some terrific heroic, somber, heartbreaking & kind of menacing version of the theme in Ep. 6-8.

And my favourite Horner quote might be at the end of "Loyal". It's really wonderful

A couple of small things about the tracks for episode seven: "Combat Training" is split in two in the episode with a pop song in between. "Not Worthy" is  also part of two different scenes, but the music that is heard between them is not on the album. "How Far We'd Go" is heard in a different order in the episode: the second half comes first. 

Chapter 7 Beyond the Shattered Sea
Vol 3.01 The Day Never Ends
Vol 3.02 Breaking the Ice 
Vol 3.03 Zeb
Vol 3.04 New Girl
Vol 3.05 Scrambled or Poached
Vol 3.06 The Mudmander
Vol 3.07 Combat Training (0:00 -1:37)
For the Glory - Kin Palo
Vol 3.07 Combat Training (1:38 - end)
Vol 3.08 What is Real?
Vol 3.09 Getting Close
Vol 3.10 Admissions
Vol 3.11 Not Worthy (possible split at 00:50)
Vol 3.13 How Far We'd Go (1:10 - end)
Vol 3.13 How Far We'd Go (0:00 - 1:09)
Vol 3.14 Not How This Ends
I'm A Wanted Man - Royal Deluxe

So there was no full reprisal of Horner’s main theme during this entire series? I’ve only listen to the three albums one time through, haven’t watched the show. Was a bit disappointing to me 😞 

Yeah, there are plenty of Horner quotes from a couple of different themes from the original, and perhaps they don't quote them in arrangements as bombastic as Escape from the Tavern from the first movie (or Arnold's arrangement of the Bond theme), but some of them are quite nice.

I just finished the show and I found myself enjoying it more than I thought I would. These last episodes grabbed my attention, and while not perfect, they were quite entertaining, so the prospect of another two seasons as the post-credits suggest wouldn't be too bad, especially if we get to hear more music from the composers. And I think Rodzinski should continue the show on his own because he has shown he's more than capable, especially with some impressive action sequences near the end. I enjoyed more the score for the episodes he scored, than those that Howard did, altough that might also be because Howard got the first three, which were more about setting up the story and didn't allow him to go beyond that.

After listening to the albums, I noticed some other ideas that pop up around for a couple of characters. For Kit and Jade, we have a theme that is heard right at the beginning, in One Day, then appearing sparsely but with some great variations, like at 1:28 of Family Heirloom, at 0:09 and 0:48 of Bigger Than Anything and also at 2:41 of The Wyrm. We also have the ethereal synths that accompany some love scenes between them, that can be heard in the first half of Castle Romances, or starting at 1:00 of Wanting to Say.

Graydon also has a melody that starts as a comedic motif at 1:11 of Returned or at 0:45 of Cliff Creeping, but that then turns more emotional like at 0:40 of The Mudmander, at the start of How Far We'd Go, becoming hugely dramatic at 1:28 of Bigger Than Anything, at 1:18 of Help Arrives and finally appearing one last time at 0:25 of Closing Chapter.

There's also another theme that I don't know what it means exactly, but seems to appear when characters talk about Madmartigan, his quest and his whereabouts. It appears at 1:10 of Until That Day, in choir at 3:40 of I'll Go, in an action arrangement at 2:29 of Compunding Issues, and then becomes quite prominent with the appearance of Christian Slater's character in episode 6. Here you can hear it at 0:15 of Betrayed, all through the first half of Searching for Wiggleheim, and then again at 0:15 of What Matters Most. Great theme!

And I'm sure there are a couple of ideas hidden in there that I haven't figured out yet, but after a couple of listens I'm sure I will pick up on some of them. Overall, really enjoyable score, and I really like how the composers balanced the quotes from the original material with their own material making stand on its own really well. I particularly have come to enjoy a lot all the different arrangements and variations on the main Heroes theme!

For the finale, the track "Harbinger" is split in two, with "Bigger than Anything" and " Loyal"  heard in between. There is also some unreleased fighting music omitted from the track "Help Arrives".

Chapter 8 Children of the Wyrm

Vol 3.15 Harbinger (0:00 - 0:41)
Vol 3.16 Bigger than Anything
Vol 3.17. Loyal
Vol 3.15 Harbinger (0:42 - end)
Vol 3.18. Into the Light
Vol 3.19. This Can’t Be Real
Vol 3.20. Try Harder!
Vol 3.23. Your Own Path
Vol 3.21. The Wyrm
Vol 3.22. Remember Who You Are
I'm On Fire - Soccer Mommy
Vol 3.24. Help Arrives (possible split at 0:36)
Vol 3.25. Facing Off
Vol 3.26. Last Gasp
Vol 3.27. The Most Powerful Thing in the Universe
Vol 3.28. Closing Chapter
Money For Nothing - Dire Straits

59 minutes ago, Jay said:

They put Money For Nothing in a Willow TV show? 

I'm guessing they edited out that one part for the show? 

Yes, they edited out the offending lyrics, as well as all of Stings' "I want my MTV" (but left in Knopfler's "Play the guitar on your MTV").

Concerning Episode 4 from the second volume of soundtracks, The track "Evil Goo" is played in a different order in the episode, with the final part heard first. The track "Compounding Issues" is split in two, with "Visions" playing in between.

Chapter 4 The Whispers of Nockmaar
Vol 2.01. Grandma’s House
Vol 2.02. Evil Goo (1:48 - end)
Vol 2.02. Evil Goo (0:00 - 1:47)
Vol 2.03. Hello Lovely 
Vol 2.04. Voices
Vol 2.06. Compounding Issues (0:00 - 1:53)
Vol 2.05. Visions
Vol 2.06. Compounding Issues (1:55 - end)
Vol 2.07. The High Tower
Vol 2.08. No Recipe
Vol 2.09. I Never Doubted You
Black Hole Sun - Nouela

In Episode 6, only a small part of "Gesundheit" plays before "Cliff Creeping" and the remainder plays after it. I couldn't find the first 43 seconds from "Gesundheid" in the episode, nor the first 25 from "He Chose You". There is an entire cue missing when they open the secret door that should be placed in the middle of the track "Prodigious Noggin".

Chapter 6 Prisoners of Skellin
Vol 2.22. Passing the Time
Vol 2.23. A Fine Welcome 
Vol 2.24. Manners 
Vol 2.25. Gesundheit! (0:44 - 1:04) 
Vol 2.26. Cliff Creeping
Vol 2.25. Gesundheit! (1:05 - end)
Vol 2.27. Betrayed
Vol 2.28. Fire Up the Troops 
Vol 2.29. Missing Him
Vol 2.30. Search for Wiggleheim
Vol 2.31. Prodigious Noggin (possible split at 0:42)
Vol 2.32. A Family Heirloom
Vol 2.33. Showdown
Vol 2.34. What Matters Most
Vol 2.35. He Chose You (0:26 - end)
Good Vibrations - The Beach Boys

• 9 months later...

Wow, I was completely sold for seconds and getting pissed off that they're prioritising this! ROTFLMAO Fantastic work, dude!