First Impressions: The SCORES of 2023

Jay

6 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Which means we just got the next Academy Award winner for Best Original Score! :P

You know... I wonder if we resemble the audience of Stravinsky's Rite of Spring, that cannot understand the new, and we're in the presence of a masterpiece, or if the score resembles the emperor's new clothes. (you all know the story, right?)

unnamed.jpg

Not much in terms of striking melodies and themes here, but Wander paints in broad, beautiful strokes. Fans of Thomas Newman's Indian-flavoured scores would find interest in this, I think. Personally, I think it's much better than any of the scores he did with Harald Kloser over the years.

I love new music Fridays.  Last Friday I listened to on Spotify:

John Powell - Migration

This was so much fun, I even loved the Survivor cover in the middle of the score.  Curious to see the movie now!

Alexandre Desplat - The Boys In The Boat

Still love it!  One of the best Desplat scores (I can't connect to most of his work) and one of the best scores of the year

Harry Gregson Williams - Chicken Run 2

This one did nothing for me >shrug<

On 19/12/2023 at 1:19 PM, Thor said:

unnamed.jpg

Not much in terms of striking melodies and themes here, but Wander paints in broad, beautiful strokes. Fans of Thomas Newman's Indian-flavoured scores would find interest in this, I think. Personally, I think it's much better than any of the scores he did with Harald Kloser over the years.

Good find! Really enjoying this.

Finally listened to this after watching the movie, and I think it's one of those scores that cannot be understood out of its context. It's dark, atmospheric and dissonant for the most part, and works brilliantly in the movie, but doesn't make for a very entertaining listening experience.

Even so, I think there are some great tracks for a standalone listening experience, particularly Divine, Resolution and Pray, which accompany some of the best scenes in the movie and make a huge emotional impact within it. As for the rearrangements of Ifukube's themes, it's true that they break a bit the flow of the album, but I love the new recordings (much better than what Sagisu did in Shin Godzilla, just throwing the old recordings there) and when they do appear in the movie, they really get to shine and feel earned and impactful. Overall, not a very pleasant listening experience for the most part, but brilliant score in context!

ehrengard.jpg

Annette Focks' score to the new Bille August film. It's really good, up there with OSTWIND and NIGHT TRAIN TO LISBON, if you ask me. A bit minimalistic, a bit classical pastiche, some darker textures, it's an envelopping 51-minute program that - sadly - doesn't have a soundtrack release yet. Hopefully, it will have one soon, but her last August score, also great, btw (2014's STILLE HJERTE) didn't get one either, so I'm a bit worried.

Bartosz Chajdecki - Różyczka 2

WOW! 

One of my favorite scores of the year, I'm blown away by this score! Gorgeous romantic music similar in style with Abel Korzeniowski Romeo & Juliet. I have always been a fan of Chajdecki, too bad some of his scores remain unreleased. 

cover.jpg

This is the great Vinphonic's medley from the newly-released Japanese TV score by Naoki Sato which has something to do with a murder on Christmas Eve.  Wonderful Christmassy cues... but beware: this is a typical Japanese release in which 3/4 of the tracks are completely unlistenable electronic noise.  Sato is an amazing composer when he gets to write for a full orchestra.  Merry Christmas, everyone!

Over Christmas break the wife and I ended up throwing on 3 new Christmas movies, and today I listened to their scores

Christopher Lennertz - Dashing Through the Snow

Holy cow, this is SO much fun!  I took notice during the movie and was excited to check it out separately later - and it didn't disappoint.  So many christmas carols are integrated throughout in fun, modern arrangements, the synth blends with the orchestra perfectly, and there's even a Home Alone-esque mini theme.  Plus, lots of really great vocal work all throughout.  Really good stuff!

Marcus Miller - Candy Cane Lane

Very similar to the above; Also features Christmas carols interwoven in, and modern sounds mixed with orchestras.... I think I even spotted a Home Alone-esque melody as well.  Overall though, not quite as memorable of a score As Dashing Through The Snow, unfortunately.  But one I will revisit next year for sure!

Pinar Toprak - Family Switch

The least Christmas-y of the three movies gets the least Christmas-y score as well, at least as far as I can tell from this suite on youtube, since there is no score album (or FYC album).  Seems nice enough, but I can't really evaluate a score based on one short suite.  Oh well.

Avatar: Frontiers Of Pandora - Pinar Toprak

I've cut the album down to just under an hour and I have to say, it's really good.

I feel it really sounds like an Avatar score and Toprak did a good job of incorporating the synths and vocals.

In the action music it sounds a bit more like a Toprak score than Horner or Franglen, but I don't mind it.

Great work

Was listening to this while I was body grooming (:P). Hmmm. Didn't leave any impression on me, as most - if not all - Thomas Newman scores.

I'm in the middle of this, and I find it quite interesting! Surely, it's easy-listening music that you could maybe listen to a supermarket, or the doctor's office, but I find it quite entertaining.

Nothing sticks with me yet, but I would listen to it again.

I'm just listening to this by the previous year's Oscar winner.

It's quite good! Romantic minimalism I guess.

Actually, I would prefer this to go into the 15 short list, than many other scores I listened to. Why didn't it?

Who the heck knows why they pick what they pick.  Why isn't The Boys In The Boat on the shortlist?

19 hours ago, filmmusic said:

I'm just listening to this by the previous year's Oscar winner.

It's quite good! Romantic minimalism I guess.

Actually, I would prefer this to go into the 15 short list, than many other scores I listened to. Why didn't it?

Funny, I thought even though it's the best thing the composer has written, it's still just okay. There is nothing to latch onto and just goes by without saying anything really.

2 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Funny, I thought even though it's the best thing the composer has written, it's still just okay. There is nothing to latch onto and just goes by without saying anything really.

Well,  I didn't say it's great myself.

I just prefer it from the other scores I've heard.

The Boy And The Heron - Joe Hisaishi

Woow, is this score better after seeing the film!

I wasn't really into it when it was released. I thought it was miles behind his other Ghibli scores. I still think it's not among the top 5 for me, but it's a wonderful score.

Great themes and a very clear and strong performance and recording. Even though it's not among my top 5 or 10 of the year, I still understand and am happy that it gets the awards nominations. It's about time Hisaishi got the recognition.

400x400cc.jpg

Trying to keep a lid on what my top favourite scores of 2023 are (to be announced later), but I can say that this (full name 1947 - ROAD TO BOSTON) was among the 30-40 in the runner-up category. Broad Americana meets uplifting sports tropes. Very nice score indeed!

ab67616d0000b273435c947894fd68b7f26fd7c8

OK, one more tease of the runner-ups before I call it quits and don't reveal too much. Grubacevic impressed me immensely with his score to THE CONVERSATION last year, which was a runner-up then too. Now he's back with another melodic, orchestral score (with some other elements, like surf) for this brief, but sweet effort. Croatia, cherish this talent!

1 hour ago, Thor said:

ab67616d0000b273435c947894fd68b7f26fd7c8

OK, one more tease of the runner-ups before I call it quits and don't reveal too much. Grubacevic impressed me immensely with his score to THE CONVERSATION last year, which was a runner-up then too. Now he's back with another melodic, orchestral score (with some other elements, like surf) for this brief, but sweet effort. Croatia, cherish this talent!

I also just listened to that. It was fun!

I'm almost done with my list. 

Ferrari - Daniel Pemberton

I'm impressed that Pemberton was able to write this in one week, but it's very downstated and basically every cue is a slight variation on the same theme.

I think there's 30 minutes of good music here. The rest becomes a bit repetitive.

Still I enjoyed it.

• 2 weeks later...

ORIGIN - Kris Bowers

https://music.apple.com/nz/album/origin-original-motion-picture-soundtrack/1725771115

If only because there's still a deficit of high profile composers of color in the industry, I keep hoping I'll love a Kris Bowers score. The closest I've come is Bad Hair, which is a strong horror score, and the Origin samples have some lovely solo string bits here and there, but the harmonic direction of this music is just kind of okay to me (but maybe this is me being just another white guy holding a double standard for white vs. POC composers).

image.png

Listen to the title track over and over and eventually the main theme will start popping up in many of the tracks!

I'm sure!  Have you checked out any of this guys other scores?

@Stark recommended his 13 Lords of the Shogun before, but that's a bit too loud and much and not as memorable to me. Didn't see anything else from him on Tidal.

Glad you liked it! There's a bunch of music of the show that hasn't been released yet, but I can't wait to get my hands (or ears?) on!

Regarding Evan Call, I remember he also did the scores for the Violet Evergarden franchise, which has a bunch of lovely music -but I haven't heard it as much as that pre-release of Frieren which I listen to in a demented loop :lol:

Yeah, definitely recommend his Violet Evergarden scores! Great stuff. Emotional, lyrical, orchestral and emotional. Both the albums for the main series and the movie are worth a listen. They're called: Automemories, and Echo Through Eternity, and both are on Spotify:

Both albums also have a couple of songs in between. And the second album is quite long, but I recommend listening to the first 35 tracks as that corresponds to the movie soundtrack in full. 

• 2 weeks later...

Gold Kingdom, Water Kingdom - Evan Call

folder.jpg

After Jon Broxton naming it one of the possible scores that he'll choose as the finalists of his best scores of 2023, I decided to give it a shot.

Well, it's pretty and there's some fine moments, especially at the end, but overall is a bit uneven. And it doesn't help that there is 47 tracks, some of them lasting for less than a minute. It's decent, but it didn't impress me that much, unfortunately.

On the other hand, the cover is gorgeous!

Finally gave Migration a proper listen after watching the movie and loved it!

On 19/1/2024 at 3:22 PM, Holko said:

@Stark recommended his 13 Lords of the Shogun before, but that's a bit too loud and much and not as memorable to me. Didn't see anything else from him on Tidal.

Don't write off 13 LORDS OF THE SHOGUN.

15 minutes ago, Dr. Know said:

Don't write off 13 LORDS OF THE SHOGUN.

I listened to at least 1.5 of the separate albums plus the best of!

I love that score!!!

Yes, it's a lot of music, but I think it's brilliant.

And to be honest, I don't think some of the best music is on the "Best Of" album.

One of my favorite pieces is "The Path Of The Assassin". 

ab67616d0000b273762242f24fd847652217d48a

The BLOOD DRAGON universe expands with this animated Netflix show from last year (building on the computer games FAR CRY 3: BLOOD DRAGON and TRIAL OF THE BLOOD DRAGON). IMO, this universe is one of the best and most entertaining synthwave imports into media music in recent years. For this entry, Oscillian takes over from the two brilliant Power Glove scores for the games. Great stuff all around! But....a myriad of short tracks (60-something tracks?), across three volumes, need to be whittled down for maximum listening pleasure.

ab67616d0000b27399238be82f3163618db0aa1c

I was never a big fan of INSPECTOR MORSE or LEWIS. Not into traditional crime shows. But my mom loves them. This is the recent prequel series about Morse's younger days. But great music may come from them, of course. Slater, who is unknown to me, follows in the footsteps of Barrington Pheloung here, not an easy task, but he delivers a super classy score, organized in gorgeous suites across 46 minutes.

1200x1200bf-60.jpg

One of my runner-ups last year -- a funky, retro synth score for this Mexican series about swindling in the 80s. Dig it, composer Amado López is one to watch.

ab67616d0000b273b372396aa2c3facb7e97d556

It sometimes falls into the trap of being too melodic and homophonic - much like Randy Edelman does. I'm also not sure if it's sampled or acoustic, or a combination. But by all means, it's a rewarding listen for the most part.

ab67616d0000b273d9e028c1b058610a1f01a8bd

This video game score by Steffen Schmidt, when whittled down, is very nice indeed. Slow-moving, part majestic, part ethereal, always intimate and cautious. (as you can gather from these last few posts, I'm currently listening more properly through some of my runner-ups last year...not quite ready for 2024 yet).

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just listening to The Creator, because someone at facebook said it's a masterpiece!

Hmmmm.. Well, I miss the 90s Zimmer who produced masterpieces..

• 4 weeks later...

Agreed. A couple of highlights, but the rest rather stale. I'll steer well clear of the film itself, due to reasons that are forbidden to talk about here. I'm surprised Navarrete took the gig.