The Color Purple (2023)

dyemery

A way around it would have been:

Q writes the songs, JW writes the score, and incorporates Q's songs into the score.

Ergo, everybody's happy.

The issue was that the film was brought to Spielberg with Q already attached.

Geez, imagine Spielberg having to tell JW that Q is going to score his next movie.

19 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Geez, imagine Spielberg having to tell JW that Q is going to score his next movie.

I can't imagine JW having a beef with Quincy. "Oh that's great Steven, he's a much better composer than me... and he's not dead yet!"

Imma take myself out behind the shed now

1 hour ago, Thor said:

I also think the film is MUCH better than what its reputation suggests. Sentimental at times, yes, but also with a visceral rawness at times that doesn't get enough credit.

Indeed, it is rather unflinching. I prefer when Spielberg doesn’t pull his punches.

22 hours ago, blondheim said:

The Color Purple is arguably Spielberg’s greatest film. It’s a true masterpiece and proof that he isn’t just a one-trick pony; Spielberg is capable of providing more than spectacle or sentimentality.

Hmmmm. I actually find Spielberg's adaptation of this particular novel to be quite sentimental. 

Doesn't mean it's not a great film, it is (though I think it's a stretch to call it his "greatest"), but it's certainly not devoid of the sentimentality that's a hallmark of most of Spielberg's work (not that there’s anything wrong with that).

Nothing wrong with sentimentality or melodrama if it's in the right hands. It can be quite beautiful. We wouldn't have the Frank Capras, Victor Flemings or Douglas Sirks of this world without it. Spielberg is another example -- he solves it beautifully almost every time. Besides, there are far more layers to THE COLOR PURPLE than just the melodramatic core. As I said earlier, lots of raw brutality and honesty that often get overlooked.

1 hour ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

Hmmmm. I actually find Spielberg's adaptation of this particular novel to be quite sentimental. 

Doesn't mean it's not a great film, it is (though I think it's a stretch to call it his "greatest"), but it's certainly not devoid of the sentimentality that's a hallmark of most of Spielberg's work (not that there’s anything wrong with that).

Oh it’s got sentimentality. I didn’t mean it was devoid of that Spielbergism. It just also has a rawness that he doesn’t tap into much since. As Thor so rightly put it.

Something happened there with Spielberg after making E.T. 

E.T. was the most successful movie at that time and overly emotional. And afterwards it seemed as if Spielberg tried to create these emotional E.T. moments in every movie with this sentimentality. And this mixture of sentimentality, raw brutality and  honesty became his style for a very long time. But apart from E.T. I never liked his movies because of that but despite that sentimentality.

I like it despite its sentimentality.

But anyway, that was the next important point in his career where with Schindler's List and JP he found back to the right balance. And this and his following movies didn't suffer from that issue.

Seems my sentences are too long for you. I wrote "I never liked his movies because of that but despite that sentimentality." That means, there are a lot movies after E.T. that I like, but not because of their sentimentality, but despite their sentimentality. :sarcasm:

3 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Seems my sentences are too long for you. I wrote "I never liked his movies because of that but despite that sentimentality." That means, there are a lot movies after E.T. that I like, but not because of their sentimentality, but despite their sentimentality. :sarcasm:

Apologies, I misunderstood the logic of your sentence! I'll repent now.

• 6 months later...