The Legend of Zelda: The Tears of the Kingdom

Jay

6 hours ago, JohnnyD said:

I’ve accumulated over 3,400 crystallized charges and explored nearly every corner of the Depths

Wait, are you just hoarding them or have you converted them to energy cells? I'm assuming so, because that's all they're good for :lol:

I went to the robot dude north of Lookout Landing to try to increase my battery. I couldn't believe that when I gave him 100 crystalized charges, i only got 1/3 of battery!

Sounds like a late-game thing for me

5 hours ago, Jay said:

I went to the robot dude north of Lookout Landing to try to increase my battery. I couldn't believe that when I gave him 100 crystalized charges, i only got 1/3 of battery!

Sounds like a late-game thing for me

I guess that's cause you haven't spent much time in the depths - that's where all the zonaite is that you can exchange for crystallised charges (rather than exchanging the Zonai charges, which I save for buying Zonai devices or boosting the battery in emergencies). You will pick up a lot of zonaite in the depths, so you'll fill it up before you know it. I think I'd nearly filled all of the battery by the time I did the last of the regional phenomena - it really is very useful, especially for powering your vehicles for exploration. The depths are so covered in gloom that vehicles become almost a necessity to get around. 

The hoverbike is a game changer in exploring the depths or surface or sky. It's an absolute must have in the depths especially.

Breath of the Wild's DLC was announced before the game even came out; It was announced on February 14 ahead of the game's March 3rd release date.

The DLC was then shown in more detail in May, then came out June (Master Trials) and December (Champion's Ballad)

So if that release timeline will be the same again, that'd be details in August, releasing in September and then March '24.

But, maybe they spent the year they added to the schedule for polish, to also do all the DLC work, and it will all come out by the end of this year.  Who knows.

Or, maybe there won't be any, and they've begun working on the next game instead :)

17 hours ago, Docteur Qui said:

Wait, are you just hoarding them or have you converted them to energy cells? I'm assuming so, because that's all they're good for :lol:

I am saving them up to convert to energy cells. I'm waiting until I accumulate at least 4,300 crystallized charges; that should be more than enough to provide all 16 energy cells.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

What exactly do amiibos do? I am contemplating getting Link from Tears of the Kingdom, and now definitely considering getting these two as well.

They do different things for different games.  In TOTK, you just get (random) free items daily.  Like weapons and meals and stuff.  I think some armor too, but I'd rather find them on my own then get them for free with a random amiibo scan (in BOTW, there were some armors that you could ONLY get via amiibo, but in TOTK, there is not).

6 hours ago, JohnnyD said:

I am saving them up to convert to energy cells. I'm waiting until I accumulate at least 4,300 crystallized charges; that should be more than enough to provide all 16 energy cells.

Why haven’t you had them converted as you go? Seems a little odd to me - you could’ve had an extended battery this whole time! I guess if you’re not using devices very often then it doesn’t matter as much, but I still don’t really get it :lol:

Yea,  makes no sense. Just warp to lookout landing after a big underground run and get more battery, then go down a new chasm to explore a new part of the underground, rinse, repeat

Started today and got to an area with three zonai wings after the third shrine - I’ve seen so many weird builds that I spent half an hour trying to create a three-winged monstrosity with a bunch of fans and dying, only to find out that all you have to do is stand on the thing 

8 hours ago, Docteur Qui said:

Why haven’t you had them converted as you go? Seems a little odd to me - you could’ve had an extended battery this whole time! I guess if you’re not using devices very often then it doesn’t matter as much, but I still don’t really get it :lol:

Arent extended batteries gated behind boss progression?

The shops I visit dont want to restock at all.

10 minutes ago, MedigoScan said:

Not that I know of - I assumed they re-stock every blood moon, but  perhaps not. That said, there's quite a few Zonai vendors in the depths so you'll likely come across another one soon. Spoiler text if you don't want to know where they all are:

Spoiler

There's an abandoned mine underneath every above ground settlement (Hateno, Tarry Town, Kakariko, Goron City etc), with a construct selling crystallised charges. If you follow the statues int he depths each will direct you to a mine as well.

EDIT: I just looked it up and apparently one in-game day and a loading screen is all you need for the Forge Constructs to restock. So I imagine you can sit by a campfire overnight and then warp to the vendor, or save and reload while you're already there. 

9 hours ago, MedigoScan said:

I think the only thing locked behind boss progression is new quests / npc dialogue unlocked after each one.  It's sort of connected to all the random enemies getting upgraded (base->blue->black->silver), but that's technically gated by a hidden Experience # the game tracks.  That experience # goes up with every enemy killed, but bosses give so much EXP they tend to tick you over to the next set of monster upgrades when you defeat one

AFAIK the shops in the game all restock per in-game day, though there's probably exceptions I don't really know about.

Blood moons reset killed enemies, grabbed treasures (not all of them of course), rock octorok weapon upgrades, maybe some other little things.

A (graphically) improved version of each game for Nintendo's next console with improved draw distance and load times would be fantastic

I have already noticed a few weird things like people appearing right in front of me out of nowhere, which i assume is the system keeping up with my running and gliding around like a maniac - but wasn’t really an issue in BOTW.   Not much of a complaint on my end, as long as they show up before I run past.  

Having a blast - just got the camera in the depths and am doing a little exploration and shrine hunting in Hyrule Field for health/stamina upgrades before I head to the Rito Village.  Right now my weaponsmaking hasn’t progressed much beyond “x with rock stapled to it,” but am interested to play around with ingredients sometime.

Fusing, even if its just a rock, is always worth it; It always add at least 1 extra might, but it also always adds a ton of durability, so your weapons will last longer.  And if you come across something better to fuse than a rock, one of the menu options breaks the fused item off so you can fuse something instead

Got the Camera, a bunch of Lightroot (bright blooms are helpful, but mostly unnecessary), autobuild, luminous armor, complete surface and sky map, hero patch, sensor+ and travel medallions.

1 hour ago, Signals said:

Got the Camera, a bunch of Lightroot (bright blooms are helpful, but mostly unnecessary), autobuild, luminous armor, complete surface and sky map, hero patch, sensor+ and travel medallions.

Dude, absolutely loving the new avatar! It's a good look, for you.

47 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Dude, absolutely loving the new avatar! It's a good look, for you.

I'll be coming for yours next. ;)

On 22/06/2023 at 1:19 AM, Jay said:

But, maybe they spent the year they added to the schedule for polish, to also do all the DLC work, and it will all come out by the end of this year.  Who knows.

Or, maybe there won't be any, and they've begun working on the next game instead :)

Ohhh don't jinx us... This whole game exists because it was an idea for DLC that got out of hand. I admire Nintendo's work ethic and polish, but please, keep a lid on it this time!

I finished the Zora regional phenomena!  It took me a long time because once I got up in the sky I kept getting distracted by every close-by sky island and wanting to hop over to them and see what's there.  So many Zonai Device dispensers, two Flux Construct fights, and I also found a new piece of armor (Zoanite set), which I guess decreases battery usage if you wear it? Awesome!  No idea where the other two pieces are.  I also keep finding Old Maps, so I have quite a bit of X marks on my Depths map now, almost all of them in the middle of nowheresville (uncharted territory) lol. 

Those Death Star things in the sky are pretty wild, wasn't expecting anything like that in the game.  It was fun trying to figure out how to get in some of them, and then into the underneath part.  It took me a very long time to figure out that those launcher thingies that launch you up in the air can also be used to launch a block in the air, and one of them points directly at the opening hole of a Death Star, which can then be placed on the switch inside.  D'oh!

Anyways, I loved the whole temple experience itself; It was really nice to have a much shorter, easier, quieter temple after the Wind and Fire ones.  The Construct enemies are easy and I left that place with so many new weapons! I feel like Sidon's power will be the least useful but maybe I haven't been to places it will come in handy yet.  It was so satisfying to complete all this because I hated the sludge being everywhere and feel good now that it's all cleaned up :)

One regional phenomena to go!  Gotta get the other Zora armor pieces first...

I've only done Wind Temple and Lightning Temple so far. I've been farming the depths and farming lynels for over month now. I'm pretty sure i can blast through the rest of the game in 1 or 2 days, but I keep getting distracted and I keep playing minecraft in this game. It's too fun to build stuff like this thing i made below. The flame is so extra, but i don't care.  

Oh wow I think I did that like 20 hours in. I still haven't been able to upgrade it once

I have beat 3 out of 4 phenomena, uckterock was a pain.

Also found the horned statue, and a stalnox in a cave underneath/behind the shelter.

Haven't played it in about two weeks. 

What this game is is tedious. From travelling to combat to powering up, everything is a freaking chore.

When you're in the sky islands or exploring the regional phenomena upwards, it's captivating. But as soon as the feet hit the ground again, all the BotW fatigue comes rushing back.

They can't seriously expect players to farm thousands of Zonai charges to level up batteries? Which you pretty much must do if you want the vehicle building to be of any use. And every time you turn around you need to build something. It's so annoying.

It feels slow, over-stretched, like all elements from BotW are re-shuffled and artificially bloated, to create the illusion of big content.

And it's soooo repetitive. 

I find you cannot overstate how insanely recycled this game is. In six years dev time, they didn't even take a day or two to redesign the labyrinths. They just copy pasted it so you now do each one twice.

Even most sky islands are copy pasted pieces of rock.

I feel like the online hype for this game after release lasted all but two weeks.

Unpopular opinion, but I think this ranks as Nintendo's most elaborate cash grab ever.

Six years is outrageous for this game.

I haven't played this game. I have serious issues with BotW that don't seem to have been altered in the sequel, but in no way do I think either of these games are a lazy cash-grab, and I think saying as such is to misunderstand the intricacies of game design, and the effort it takes to make a game of this quality and size. It is insipid and shallow games criticism.

• 2 weeks later...

Man, I've been away on vacation for 3 weeks which theoretically would have meant no TOTK at all for 3 weeks, but in that time I had NINE flights from one place to another, so actually got some decent playtime in at airports and on airplanes

I didn't do the final regional phenomena (Gerudo) because I wanted to experience it on the TV,, though I did initiate it and do the first part (protecting Kara Kara Bazaar).  I immediately regretted doing that handheld, so I instead spent the rest of my travel Zelda time time finishing random quests in my log and finding and finishing shrines.

I'm up to 92 shrines completed now and I cannot believe there's still SIXTY for me to find in this game.  This game is crazy big!!  I've now done all the ones I had marked on my map (seen in the distance but not gone to, or unlocked but not entered, etc) and have no idea where to look for more, other than the fact that if I look at my Hero Path, there's plenty of areas I haven't stepped foot in at all yet.  I guess there could be some lightroots I've found where I haven't found the shrine for, maybe, although I've truly barely scratched the surface of the depths so far.  Like my map is almost entirely not filled in.  I know I should spend more time down there but keep finding fun things on the surface to do!

I want to spend more time in the sky too.  I've only found 2 of those 12 (or was it 13?) tablet thingies, though some of the star islands look REALLY high.  I suppose I need to get better at using hot air ballons to get up to them or something

120 hours in now!

On 16/07/2023 at 1:25 AM, Mephariel said:

These two tracks have to be the best music in the game right?

Best, I dunno!  This game has SOOOooo much music, I'm still processing it all.  Some of the music I heard first from the rip before I played (and had no clue what it represented) is still my favorite - Master Kohga Battle, Mucktotock Battle, Masked Yunobo Battle, and all the new Tarrey Town variations.  But since playing the game the Fire Temple music really made me take notice, and I love the new variations of each town theme for your initial arrival before you finish the temple there.

Today I've been listening to this giant playlist, which does a decent job of organizing the music ahead of the OST album coming out:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2XjmdkuVL-3Yybg24FG_aBdLjBE4Quru

The new Girlfriend Review of Tears of the Kingdom was just released, and if you have played the game much at all it is HILARIOUS:

And by sheer coincidence, for anyone looking for an actual in depth review of the game, the Beatemups channel posted a really well done review that's over an hour long, and still pretty entertaining:

My wife and I have both really been enjoying our time with the game so far. Somehow it's improved on so very many things that made Breath of the Wild already great.

Yavar

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Tell us more about your own experiences with it!

I plan to, but I'd like to play and explore more of it first. As it is, I have to alternate play time with my wife (and she gets more of it, lol...)

Yavar

After over 250 hours of play time, I’ve completed all 152 shrines, every side adventure, all but one side quest (Where Are the Wells?) and all but two of the main quests (Find Princess Zelda and Destroy Ganondorf). I've explored all of the Depths and all the Sky Islands. I’ll be exploring any unexplored areas of Hyrule, including caves (I feel like finding the rest of the Bubbulfrogs and collecting the bubbul gems) finishing the one side quest left, and then locating the rest of the armor sets before fighting the Demon King. This has been a masterpiece of a game; the story is great, the game-play is engaging, and the music is great too.

I've been playing this off and on for a month or so now avoiding the main quest. I've got:

• all 152 shrines
  • all light roots
  • all maps fully complete
  • all armor, but those from the main quest, fully upgraded
  • all sage's wills
  • all schematics found
  • all yiga quests complete
  • one regional phenomena completed
  • all available side quests completed
  • all available side adventures complete
  • all available compendium items photographed
  • all signs completed
  • all village quests (Hateno, Lurelin, Tarrey Town, etc.) complete
  • two sages found
  • fully upgraded battery

When exploring the depths, I was able to go through it with a couple of fans and a control stick. That made it so much easier to head to the light roots without getting covered in gloom. Originally I was hesitant to explore the depths, but aside from few of the bosses here and there it is mostly empty. Just the darkness makes it harder to explore. But then with the flying machine, just throw a large brightbloom seed on it and it's much easier.

I did enjoy breath of the wild and it took me a bit to get into this one because of the similar gameplay. After a bit, I got used to the differences and really began to enjoy it. I'm not a builder by any means so that has been the hardest part. I've just looked online for some good builds and used those instead. It hasn't taken away the fun of the game play either.

For anybody that hasn't played it much yet, complete Lurelin Village as early as you can.