Anakin's Theme (2023 Revision)

igger6

7 minutes ago, BSOinsider said:

Using the Hal Leonard Signature edition measure numbers, here are the changes between versions:

2 new measures added between m24 and 25. These 2 bars are an expanded orchestration of measures 5 and 6.

Measures 25 and 26 have slight alterations to texture, register, and rhythm. Measure 27 returns to HL as printed.

Measures 41 to 44 have been rewritten. What was previously 14 beats of music (4/4+4/4+4/4+2/4) is now 25 beats (5/4+6/4+6/4+4/4+4/4). The new version features altered meter and elongated note lengths, along with the addition of a flute to the Vln1 line and added harp. The new violin 1 part in m43 is entirely different, only vaguely similar to the contour of the older version. 

Measure 45 to the end is unchanged. 

I hope this helps!

ok.... @BSOinsider I had linked to your old post in the chronology project now you post this amazing piece of detail... drop the mike take a bow and walk off the stage sir! I must now go link to this post instead :)

I don't always go for these revisions, but I liked what I heard.  It would be nice to have a proper recording.  The original was never a pure favorite of mine, so it is easier to enjoy the changes.  

I am a bit surprised, given his predilection for doing such things, that Rey's theme did not get a sizable extension or something.  He likes the theme, we like the theme, go two more minutes with it.  

25 minutes ago, michael_grig said:

If it matters for the chronology in any way, the corrections for Anakin's theme were submitted by Williams on 07/25/2023:

image.png

If it has a date and Williams himself was involved it does indeed matter greatly to the Chronology! 

Thank You!

Brilliant, @BSOinsider!  Unconfirmed reports are pouring in of a middle-aged man seen counting measures while air-conducting in front of his computer monitor with a dopey grin on his face.

• 3 months later...
16 minutes ago, artguy360 said:

When will we get to hear this?! Sounds lovely.

Apparently the concert will be on a streaming service called Stage+ on the 30th.

https://www.stage-plus.com/video/live_concert_9HKNCPA3DTN66PBIEHFJAC1M?fbclid=PAAaahYHYn0jmZta7N56Nlxgv9cbjSOlBU9NSKEOxguuTDftD8xtBEn-PJN80_aem_ARqg0JMiooEj5-V7mhtCFMLARPUFEydlEpW-9CTIyK13Qrm0CBZL_xk0AOzc2Vb0dNU

Many of us hoped that Anakin's theme would get a heroic workout in II, before it transitioned into the Imperial March.  This sounds like the next best thing.  I hope he reworks the regular version one more time along the lines of this description.  It would make for a cool piece telling a full story.  

9 hours ago, Tom said:

Many of us hoped that Anakin's theme would get a heroic workout in II, before it transitioned into the Imperial March.

As far as I can tell, Williams always set out with that theme to portray the boy Anakin, not the adolescent and young adult we meet in the next two films. Its very much concieved of as a theme for a young boy, and its uses in the two sequels are always as reminiscences of that boy.

It does get a heroic variation during the space battle, I seem to remember.

On 06/09/2023 at 4:52 AM, BSOinsider said:

I hope this helps!

It helps, it Helps!

So glad this has gotten a new arrangement. I remember thinking it must have felt left out and forgotten and sad and lonely after the other major romanticish Star Wars themes got the Mutter treatment. Can't wait to hear it! Please Santa, let there be a new album in the works. It doesn't have to be this year.