James Horner's HUMANOIDS FROM THE DEEP (1980) - NEW! 2023 Intrada

Jay

25 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

It is really cool that we're getting definitive editions of Horner's earlier pre-Khan scores. First Deadly Blessing, now this.

Was Battle Beyond the Stars expanded as well?

There's a fairly low quality bootleg for Battle Beyond the Stars, but I'd always heard that Horner actively blocked an expansion of that score as he wasn't satisfied with the orchestra's performance.

I wonder how this is this different from the 2011 BSX Records release? I bought that because the Workprint of Blade Runner contains music from this movie among others. The Blade Runner Workprint contains music from the movies Planet of the Apes (1968), Humanoids from the Deep (1980), Freud (1962), The Hand (1981), The Awakening (1980), and maybe more. There are a few score sections I have not identified yet. And original recodings from Vangelis' studio that has not been released, notably recordings of Asian traditional music.

Edit: There is no official release of The Hand score by Horner, so that is my most anticipated. :-)

19 minutes ago, JibberJabberwocky said:

I wonder how this is this different from the 2011 BSX Records release?

That was just the original album program, plus a suite from the then-recent Christopher Lennertz score.

This is the first ever expansion of the original Horner score.

Yavar

7 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

That was just the original album program, plus a suite from the then-recent Christopher Lennertz score.

This is the first ever expansion of the original Horner score.

Yavar

This is exciting. Still waiting on a release of Horner's The Hand. Fingers crossed!

5 hours ago, JibberJabberwocky said:

I wonder how this is this different from the 2011 BSX Records release?

If I may follow up on that, how's the sound difference? I had a CD-R of the original LP once, and that's all I ever need in terms of amount of music. It isn't really my favourite type of Horner score or period to begin with. However, the sound quality left something to be desired. How's the BSX version (which I didn't even know existed), in comparison? Presumably, this new release ups the sound quality yet another notch.

17 hours ago, Thor said:

How's the BSX version (which I didn't even know existed), in comparison?

It is this release: https://www.discogs.com/release/3442889-James-Horner-Christopher-Lennertz-Humanoids-From-The-Deep-Original-Motion-Picture-Soundtrack

Sounds pretty fine to my ears. 

I dunno, it’s been over 30 years since I’ve seen the movie. 

When I was in high school, my girlfriend  loved watching all those low budget, cheesy horror movies.

My reaction, “James Horner did the music!!”  😄

If the were in the same place as where they found Deadly Blessing, I hope it means they found Battle Beyond the Stars.  I don’t care what people say about the performance. 

• 4 weeks later...

Received my copy the other day. This is one that I haven’t listened to in awhile outside of the main theme. 

While there are some obvious Goldsmith inspirations, I forgot about the Jaws ones. Most notably Ben Gardners Boat and The Cage sequence.