The Five Sacred Albums

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Bes could have taken better care of them. 

Indeed. He handles them with his thumbs when they were made for pinkies. 

In no particular order

The Empire Strikes Back, John Williams

Selected Ambient Works 85-92, Aphex Twin

Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade, John Williams

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, John Williams

Star Trek II The Wrath of Khan, James Horner

In all reality, at the very last second I would prob swap the Horner for another Williams, but I don't know what it would be.

Also, one of my favorite things about scores is that they don't particularly remind me of periods in time of my life (where I could have been happy or sad). Albums with lyrics do that to me. And I don't want to have those types of feelings with only 5 albums in my collection.  I want the music to feed my imagination. And that's what scores and electronic music do for me.

I can listen to any score whether my life is going good or not so good. The same can't be said for albums by bands.

Hey. Here's a dare (that I'm a little nervous to even suggest):

Let's all commit to our lists for... A week? It would be hella crazy to see the library on my phone with only five albums.

Anyone crazy enough to try? I might go into Sneakers withdrawal to say nothing of having an uncontrollable urge to hear the Imperial March and Jaws.

Someone call the start time!

53 minutes ago, Mr. Hooper said:

If you do it, keep a diary here of how it's going...

DAY 5

Hanging on...

Starting to hate Billy Joel

Ironic

I think I'm forgetting what the Imperial March sounds like

Looking forward to Sunday

Pray for me

DoD is a very good movie.

Added the point you missed.

10 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

image.png

Well. Maybe I'm doing this alone. But HERE WE GO! This is my musical world from tomorrow morning until the following Monday.

You're not alone. I have Wrath of Khan on mine too :wub:

1 hour ago, Tallguy said:

HERE WE GO!

image.gif

On 06/01/2024 at 5:16 AM, ThePenitentMan1 said:

Assuming that fanedits are allowed:

-John Williams: Star Wars ANH

-John Williams: Raiders Of The Lost Ark

-Bruce Broughton: Lost in Space

-Jerry Goldsmith: Star Trek TMP [It was a really tough decision between this and ESB.]

-Yoko Shimomura: Kingdom Hearts Final Mix [To make up for the fact that I won't be able to play KH1 ever again in this scenario.  Otherwise, I'd probably pick ESB.]

Assuming fanedits aren't allowed, and that it really is only albums that we have to live with:

-John Williams: Raiders Of The Lost Ark, 1995 DCC Album [I love the rest of the score, too, but it's hard to complain about the DCC Album's cue selection.]

-Bruce Broughton: Lost in Space, 1998 TVT Album

-Bruce Broughton: Lost in Space, 1999 Intrada Album

-Bruce Broughton: Lost in Space, 2016 2-CD Intrada Album

-Yoko Shimomura: Kingdom Hearts OST 2-CD Album

Oh, and I would gladly give up all five albums if I get to play with the complete recording sessions for Broughton's Lost In Space for the rest of time.

Y'know, I'm gonna go hardmode this week and only listen to Raiders, LiS, and KH1.  Adventure, Family, and Friendship.

Oh, I'm going to see Migration tomorrow, so I'd probably have to make a single exception for that score by necessity.  But no more than that.  Not even Hook, when it arrives.

6 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Added the point you missed.

I think someone has gone a little mad defending a subpar Disney film. This is now becoming an obsession of yours, my friend. You’re littering every thread with DoD. It is only creating antipathy for it. 

4 hours ago, JTW said:

I think someone has gone a little mad defending a subpar Disney film. This is now becoming an obsession of yours, my friend. You’re littering every thread with DoD. It is only creating antipathy for it. 

After watching it in the cinema, I can confirm DoD is not subpar. It's actually quite good. :)

I think you and your gang of disenchanted are the ones creating antipathy.

20 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

After watching it in the cinema, I can confirm DoD is not subpar. It's actually quite good. :)

And you keep saying this in every single message thread on JWFan over and over again. Yawn. 

13 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Believe me, you guys will never want to hear another James Horner Trek score again by next week :lol:

Well, this wouldn't be the first time I've only listened to Wrath of Khan for a week. And at the end of it I can play The Search for Spock!

Day 1, 10:30am: I've actually started my day with Star Wars, side 1. An interesting effect has been that rather than what I usually do which is wake up, put on music, go about my day, I actually didn't put anything on until I was ready to listen.

I don't have much interest in vinyl, but there is a part of me that thinks this would be fun with a record player.

I'm going through a prolonged move and can't find my copies if Illinois or Kind of Blue, so I've just been working with 3 of my 5. There's a lot of meat on Mahler and Beethoven, and The Five Sacred Trees is a tremendous program (I want Old and Lost Rivers played at my funeral lol). even so, i might have to break down and listen to the other two on youtube, bleh.

I won't partake in the experiment myself, but love your love of Billy Joel's 52ND STREET and Dire Straits' LOVE OVER GOLD, Tallguy. Both of those albums are hugely important in my on life as well, and featured prominently in the "144 album challenge" mentioned previously.

On 06/01/2024 at 10:36 PM, Muad'Dib said:

Bat Out of Hell - Meat Loaf/Jim Steinman

Pretty good, but I prefer DEAD RINGER.

Peter Gabriel - Us

Again, a good choice (and it's better than SO), but I prefer MELT, and SECURITY.

Warren Zevon - Warren Zevon (1976)

Excellent choice, but, for me, SENTIMENTAL HYGIENE just takes it.

20 hours ago, Thor said:

I won't partake in the experiment myself, but love your love of Billy Joel's 52ND STREET and Dire Straits' LOVE OVER GOLD, Tallguy. Both of those albums are hugely important in my on life as well, and featured prominently in the "144 album challenge" mentioned previously.

It's occurred to me that this month is kind of my 40th anniversary of being a Billy Joel fan. At the time we already had the 52nd Street LP but I never played it. And I remembered hearing the singles from The Stranger and 52nd Street playing on the radio incessantly in '77 / '78. I kind of remember watching the Live from Long Island on cable (with STEREO SIMULCAST on the radio) in '83. For some reason we got Dad Innocent Man on cassette that Christmas. Then over New Years 1983 / 84 everything clicked and I started getting all of his albums. (The funniest thing was when I found out that Billy Joel a) recorded Piano Man and b) was NOT Elton John. Kind of like not knowing that Harrison Ford made these old space movies.)

I had 4th row seats to see his Innocent Man tour that April. I saw every tour from Innocent Man to River of Dreams. Never got to see him again after that. I had tickets to see him and Elton John but it got canceled because of the Eagle Hell Freezes Over tour.

It's been interesting this week to be "locked in" with this album. I've listened to it more than I was expecting to. Now I'm older (a lot older) and have a better view of musical history it amazes me how much of a Paul McCartny pastiche My Life is. (He will revisit The Beatles with Nylon Curtain.) I've always known that Until the Night is one of the best things on a great album. Now I think it's one of the best Billy Joel songs of all time and people should talk about it in the same place as Scenes from an Italian Restaurant.

Day 4: Not sure what I'm going to do today. Yesterday I finished up all the nooks and crannies of The Wrath of Khan. I have some questions about the liner notes to the La-La Land set that I will address in another thread.

I picked the original album for Star Wars rather than one of the expansions and I will always relate to this program as "sides". I suppose even the CD was split into 2 discs. But I remember as a kid that Side 4 was just a monster. It had TWO tracks! and one was over ten minutes long! (Is Throne Room and End Title REALLY the same length as Main Title?!? Whoa!) I don't remember how old I was when I figured out that the actual Death Star attack didn't start on The Last Battle until 4 minutes in. Again, Williams' track assembly: Cell bay / everyone sneaking around on the Death Star / X-Wings! As the grand finale on the last side! (I mean, the X-wings is obvious, but still.)

22 hours ago, Richard Connold said:

Pretty good, but I prefer DEAD RINGER.

Dead Ringer's got some straight up and underappreciated bangers (I'll Kill You If You Don't Come Back is a personal favorite) but I feel Bat 1 really flows as a complete experience from begging to end. 

Again, a good choice (and it's better than SO), but I prefer MELT, and SECURITY.

My personal favorite is Security, and I agree that Melt is one of his best (if not THE best) but I figured if I was lost on an island with a PG album, Us would be a more rounded and healing experience. 

Excellent choice, but, for me, SENTIMENTAL HYGIENE just takes it.

That's some damn good taste, and I like your choice but, similar to BOOH, I feel like the first album flows really nicely and it's got that spunk if you will of him really trying to show all he had. I'd argue that Excitable Boy flows perfectly from begging to end as an album, but nothing beats for me the ending with the air condition humming.

It's always nice to find some Warren acolytes out there, he should be more recognized outside of Werewolves.

It kind of reminds me of when I was a teenager and I would go to work with my cassette player and a handful of tapes. I didn't have infinite choice. And I would play Love over Gold or Star Trek over and over and over. This is only weird because it's 2024.

First of all, I'm really impressed that you took this challenge seriously, and to the end. Also, that paragraph above is really precise. Back in the 80s and 90s, I only had whatever music collection I had physically - whether it was LPs, cassettes or CDs. I listened to the same finite number over and over again, which is why they're so ingrained in my spine now. If I'm going to hazard a guess, maybe we're talking some 100 albums here, at the most. I never worried that it took time from listening to other music, because other music was not available (except my dad's LP collection, mostly classical stuff, which didn't interest me much). Weird how times have changed.

4 hours ago, Tallguy said:

We'll see if I stick it out the last two days. I'm about 50 / 50 right now.

We'll just need to conduct an examination to declare you fit to continue...

How many fingers am I holding up?

Good...

Can you hum the Imperial March for me?

Excellent. Your memory's not been affected.

Finally—and this is a sanity test—do you consider 'Dial of Destiny' to be a good movie and worthy send off for Indiana Jones?

IMG_3521.jpeg

I just got off three days with my work playlists of just Raiders, Broughton!LIS, and KH1.

Since I felt, for the purposes of the experiment, it'd be cheating to just listen to my fanedits for Raiders and Lost In Space again, I instead made playlists out of the DCC/TVT/Intrada albums as they were.

I did listen to Migration's main title after watching the film (and I'll be seeing the film again later today!), and I also found myself regretting leaving my post as-is instead of editing it to replace one of the scores with Treasure Planet, but otherwise I committed myself to the bit.

-

DCC Raiders is always a joy to listen to, and, I know I've said this before, but despite now being aware of things like the massive gap between Well Of Souls and Flying Wing, it still doesn't feel like anything's missing when I listen to it.  The album was just that well thought-out.

-

Broughton's Lost In Space is a score that I do not EVER want to be without.  I picked all three released albums for it because, if I really were to be banished to an enchanted forest with only five albums, I'd want to make sure I still had everything that's been released for this score, cue splits and all.

TVT LIS (skipping the pop songs and source music), I must say, is actually a pretty well-produced album, for what it is.  I've always considered the cues it represents (on the US release) to be the absolute bare minimum selection needed to properly represent this score.  And the clean cue openings/endings are absolutely essential for me, especially for the first three score tracks the album presents (Main Title, Reprogram, and Launch).

It's even had a small influence in the way I put my fanedit for the score together: while the first and last versions of Through The Planet are titled Through The Planet (Original) and Through The Planet (Revised Alternate), the intermediate revision is titled Thru The Planet (Revised) as an homage to the TVT Album, which uses that version of the cue.  And at one point, I even put The Proteus (Original) in the main program of my fanedit, despite it not being used anywhere in the film or on any album, just so that my alternates section can mimic the TVT album by going from The Proteus (Alternate)->Spiders Attack, Pt.2 (Original).

-

The two Intrada Albums...  Well, I'm glad they gave us more music, at least.  Honestly, I don't really like listening to either of them as-is.  And listening to them now only reminds me of why I kept needing to make fanedits for this score even after the 2016 album's release.

The '99 Album seems to occupy this weird space where it feels like it needs to be an abridged listening experience...  but also that it needs to stay in chronological order, for some reason.  So we get the entire first half of the movie crammed into six tracks, but then Guiding Stars is sandwiched by two tracks that start with very similar renditions of the time travel choirs, the first of which ends with just another variation of Smith's theme.

Honestly, if I were the one putting the album together (and approaching it from an "Album" perspective rather than a "C&C" perspective), I'd probably have dropped A New World, put Time Bubbles in its place, and expanded the first six tracks into eight, by adding Can't Kill The Man after Into The Sun and splitting off Jupiter Crash from Spiders and putting Spiders Attack, Pt.2 (Continued) in its place.

Everything from Spider Smith onward, however, is absolute gold.  Ending the program with S.G.I. Commercial as a buffer that leads us into the original Through The Planet (as Fanfare For Will and Lost In Space, respectively) was an absolute stroke of genius!  Then the ending of the early version of Nice Work Fly Boy, spliced in at the end of the track, puts a button-ending on both the listening experience of the album, and what would become the early Through The Planet's proper concert arrangement.

The '99 album had a strong ending, but the tracks that led up to it could've been handled a little better for a more balanced listening experience.

-

The 2016 album...  man...  If I'd gotten to listen to this when I was a kid, I probably would've been completely content with it at the time, and not questioned any of the editorial decisions it made.  But, since it was released almost five years after I went deep into the weeds with the score as it was used in the film...  It fell short of my expectations.

Like the '99 album before it, it also appears to be of two minds; it seems like it tries to get closer to being the complete score as it was intended to be used in the film, but also like it doesn't want to stop being the '99 album either, for better or worse!

I'm much less critical of the '99 album these days than I was when I first discovered it, now that I properly understand about the "listening experience" side of film scores...  but the 2016 expansion retaining any of its unique editing choices (aside from Fanfare For Will/Lost In Space) was a bad decision, IMHO.  If I wanted to hear Dog Tags, No.2 once again covering up John And West Set Out's absolutely gorgeous opening, I'd just put on the '99 album.  Now we have two different albums where those three cues are put together the exact same way.

Frustrating as it is, though...  it's still the most comprehensive release of the score to date, and the only way I could see it getting surpassed is a full-on Matessino-style presentation where the missing Blarp cues and film takes are included, and cues that weren't intended to be combined in the film have enough silence to be separated by the consumer.

(I know, I know, I'll keep dreaming...  but I'd 100% jump on a reissue of the score that adds anything new.)

-

Oh yeah, Kingdom Hearts 1.  I love it, I could listen to it all day.  Hand in Hand makes me feel like I could do anything. :lovethis:

25 minutes ago, Mr. Hooper said:

How many fingers am I holding up?

That's not very damn funny.

34 minutes ago, Mr. Hooper said:

Can you hum the Imperial March for me?

(Hums Darth Vader's theme from Star Wars.) No?

35 minutes ago, Mr. Hooper said:

Finally—and this is a sanity test—do you consider 'Dial of Destiny' to be a good movie and worthy send off for Indiana Jones?

It's a damn sight better than Crystal Skull! I'll watch it twice before I watch KC again and both of them before Attack of the Clones. But I'd just as soon do none of that, thanks.

14 minutes ago, ThePenitentMan1 said:

The album was just that well thought-out.

It's a great representation of the score. I think the only thing I missed was Washington Men / Indy's Home. But it was to Raiders what the Star Wars Anthology was to Star Wars.

17 minutes ago, ThePenitentMan1 said:

replace one of the scores with Treasure Planet

An incredibly fine score. Possibly my favorite JNH. (Although Wyatt Earp has been eating into that lead for me.)

LiS: A score that I adore bits of. Maybe that's because I've never found the "flow" of the music, as you say. I'll have to give the whole thing more attention. (As someone who is enjoying the heck out of Foundation I have to stop to mention how terrible Jared Harris is in this movie.)

18 minutes ago, ThePenitentMan1 said:

Oh yeah, Kingdom Hearts 1. 

You appear to be 1990's kid. :) I'll have to check it out. I mean, I'd never heard the Moon Theme until the 2017 DuckTales introduced it to me.

In the end, can I postpone my banishment to the enchanted forest? I would much prefer to depart with definitive versions of ANH and Empire Strikes Back in hand.

image.gif

LiS: A score that I adore bits of. Maybe that's because I've never found the "flow" of the music, as you say. I'll have to give the whole thing more attention.  (As someone who is enjoying the heck out of Foundation I have to stop to mention how terrible Jared Harris is in this movie.)

And you'll get your chance to do just that when it actually gets released in 2028.  (Okay, coming out of "snarky C&C fan" mode now...  the 2016 release at least gets us 95% of the way there.)

Jared's voice was actually dubbed over in the film, believe it or not.  He was pretty mad about it after the film was released!

Either way, Hopkins made a terrible decision not to cast Billy Mumy in the role in the first place.  Imagine Mumy playing Future Will with the original version of I'm Your Son playing underneath it!

You appear to be 1990's kid. :) I'll have to check it out.

Do you like Classic Animated Disney Films?  Do you like Final Fantasy games?  Do you like Action-RPG combat?

If your answer is "yes" to any of the above, you're probably going to get something out of Kingdom Hearts. :D

(Unless you just mean the score...  in which case...  How do you feel about Yoko Shimomura?)

I mean, I'd never heard the Moon Theme until the 2017 DuckTales introduced it to me.

I never heard it until just now.  When I put it on, my brother immediately went "Oh, the moon theme from Ducktales!"  I won't deny it: I live under the proverbial rock about many, many areas of pop culture.

4 minutes ago, ThePenitentMan1 said:

Jared's voice was actually dubbed over in the film, believe it or not.  He was pretty mad about it after the film was released!

I knew that, actually. It certainly doesn't help.

4 minutes ago, ThePenitentMan1 said:

Either way, Hopkins made a terrible decision not to cast Billy Mumy in the role in the first place.  Imagine Mumy playing Future Will with the original version of I'm Your Son playing underneath it!

It's the dumbest thing. I can't think why you would have that plot and NOT have Bill Mumy. It's like doing Star Trek '09 and casting someone else as Old Spock.

5 minutes ago, ThePenitentMan1 said:

(Unless you just mean the score...  in which case...  How do you feel about Yoko Shimomura?)

I do just mean the score and I don't know.

6 minutes ago, ThePenitentMan1 said:

When I put it on, my brother immediately went "Oh, the moon theme from Ducktales!"  I won't deny it: I live under the proverbial rock about many, many areas of pop culture.

I had no idea myself. But it was enough of a cultural touchstone for people of a certain age that when Lin-Manuel Miranda joined the 2017 cast he immediately offered to write a song based on the Moon Theme. They told him no because they already had plans! Boy did they ever. It was a moment that worked perfectly in the context of the show but if you had the history with that music you had to be losing your mind.

It's a damn sight better than Crystal Skull! I'll watch it twice before I watch KC again and both of them before Attack of the Clones. But I'd just as soon do none of that, thanks.

Okay, I'm seeing evidence of confusion, but your bottom-line reasoning is acceptable.

image.jpeg

55 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

I do just mean the score and I don't know.

Okay, hmmm...

Piano/Choir Synth Title Screen Music:

Smooth-Jazz-y Early-Game Field Music:

Big, triumphant Battle Theme:

Foreboding 5/8 Field Theme:

And a Scherzo as a Battle Theme:

If I had to pick five musical highlights from the score, these would be it.

On 11/01/2024 at 4:20 PM, Muad'Dib said:

It's always nice to find some Warren acolytes out there, he should be more recognized outside of Werewolves.

I got into Zevon when I first heard "Werewolves Of London", back in the late '70s. Over the years, I heard the odd track ("Roland The Headless Thompson Gunner"), and then, in '91, "Lawyers Guns And Money", and "Searching For A Heart" were featured in GRAND CANYON. That's when my appreciation of Zevon took off.

I still miss him.

Have you seen his last appearance, on Letterman?

SECURITY was, is, and always shall be my favourite Gabriel record ("Lay Your Hands On Me" is stunning!). I saw him on tour the following Summer, at Crystal Palace football ground.

DEAD RINGER (and especially "Peel Out") features Larry Fast, and I'm so into Synergy you won't believe it, so... :)

On 6/1/2024 at 4:58 AM, GerateWohl said:

Does such an album exist? 

I just remember a Batman Trilogy album from Varese including tracks from Goldenthal's Batman Forever. 

Actually La La Land released both as a 4 disc set. OOP of course.

https://lalalandrecords.com/danny-elfman-batman-collection-the-limited-edition-4-cd-set/

8 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I got into Zevon when I first heard "Werewolves Of London", back in the late '70s. Over the years, I heard the odd track ("Roland The Headless Thompson Gunner"), and then, in '91, "Lawyers Guns And Money", and "Searching For A Heart" were featured in GRAND CANYON. That's when my appreciation of Zevon took off.

I still miss him.

Have you seen his last appearance, on Letterman?

Yes, I've seen it! That particular rendition of "Roland" is stunning. Also, love how the Hockey Song sounded with the band. And "Genius" with the string quartet! Agh, it's amazing how gifted he was, both musical and lirically. 

I understand he met with Judd Appatow to score a film of his, but it never materialized. I can only imagine what magic he could have conjured for a film score.

He was definetly gone too soon.

SECURITY was, is, and always shall be my favourite Gabriel record ("Lay Your Hands On Me" is stunning!). I saw him on tour the following Summer, at Crystal Palace football ground.

Lucky you! I've only seen for the (hopefully) first time in Milan in 2023 with the new band and songs, it was amazing! His voice and songwriting power are still so strong, it's quite admirable.

DEAD RINGER (and especially "Peel Out") features Larry Fast, and I'm so into Synergy you won't believe it, so... :)

Meat and Jimmy were a match made in heaven -or hell! One can only imagine what Bat 3 could have been if they hadn't fallen out...