Your Top 10 Howard Shore non-Middle Earth Scores

I'm not through exploring the work of Shore. I didn't like his work for many years (mostly due to the droney Cronenberg scores), then the LOTR scores opened up the door a little bit, and then I've discovered bits and pieces since then that have raised my appreciated a bit more. I'm on the lookout for the Universal France compilation (hard to find!) which samples the central works of his career.

But anyway, currently there are three non-LOTR Shore scores in my collection, so not enough to make a top 10 (MAPS TO THE STARS, ROSE WATER and THE SONG OF NAMES). But soon, I aim to reassess some things I've previously discarded, starting with the lighter fare like MRS. DOUBTFIRE, PHILADELPHIA, BIG etc. And THEN reassess the Cronenbergs. Maybe I like them better now than I did 20 years ago.

1 minute ago, Edmilson said:

Honestly, I always thought the idea of Howard Shore, the guy who did several dark, bleak, depressing, disturbing and violent movies for Cronenberg and about serial killers, scoring a lighthearted family comedy about Robin Williams crossdressing was always amusing to me. This is more of James Horner, John Debney or Bruce Broughton territory, lol. 

Hey, he's Nobody's Fool.

The most lighthearted and comedic stuff I ever heard Shore write was for LOTR, specifically this track (and only for the first minute, after that it gets disturbing again):

12 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

The most lighthearted and comedic stuff I ever heard Shore write was for LOTR, specifically this track (and only for the first minute, after that it gets disturbing again):

What about his SNL days? ;)

tumblr_mqf9eawYbc1s759hxo1_1280.jpg

I like a lot of his scores, but here are my favourite non-Tolkien :

Silence of the Lambs 

Looking for Richard 

Esther Kahn

The Cell

The Yards

The Aviator

Eastern Promises 

- The Fly

- Big

- Silence of the Lambs

- The Departed

- Mrs. Doubtfire

There are others I enjoy some cues of like The Aviator or Hugo, but don’t remember the entire scores. Scores like Se7en work great in the film, but if I had to listen to it on its own, I’d cut my head off and put it in a box. 

Hugo

The Pale Blue Eye

The Fly

Edge of Darkness

The Silence of the Lambs

I still have yet to listen to The Aviator, Eastern Promises and A Dangerous Method.

5 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

The same you'd do if you had to watch DoD?. :)

No, then this would happen.

IMG_0014.gif

Spoiler

Just kidding. I would never seriously hate a film that you like.

13 hours ago, Thor said:

I'm not through exploring the work of Shore. I didn't like his work for many years (mostly due to the droney Cronenberg scores), then the LOTR scores opened up the door a little bit, and then I've discovered bits and pieces since then that have raised my appreciated a bit more. I'm on the lookout for the Universal France compilation (hard to find!) which samples the central works of his career.

But anyway, currently there are three non-LOTR Shore scores in my collection, so not enough to make a top 10 (MAPS TO THE STARS, ROSE WATER and THE SONG OF NAMES). But soon, I aim to reassess some things I've previously discarded, starting with the lighter fare like MRS. DOUBTFIRE, PHILADELPHIA, BIG etc. And THEN reassess the Cronenbergs. Maybe I like them better now than I did 20 years ago.

I find Philadelphia boring. But that doesn't mean, you might not like it. ;) 

But I strongly recommend Crash to you. Congenial score.

Oh, I've heard a lot of his stuff, including CRASH. Interesting use of electric guitars. It's just that I've discarded many of them over the years, and am set to reassess them again now. Tastes change over the years.

Not going to be a top 10 from me as Shore has limited appeal outside of Middle Earth.

However:

Panic Room - the film is very dark and tense, and the score is textural and brooding but has its appeals. Not completely indifferent to some of the darker music in RotK.

Hugo works superbly in the movie but I found only a couple of tracks worked for me on album. Honourable mention goes to the song which is a beautiful example of the composer working on the song with their melody.

A History of Violence - sort of liked at first, but it more and more started to sound like a collection of rejected ideas from Two Towers, and for me, highlighted some shortcomings in his ability to write truly memorable, original themes.

I also got the quite wonderful Two Concerti for Xmas showing off his less brooding side.

In no particular order:

• The Fly
  • The Aviator
  • A History of Violence
  • The Departed
  • Eastern Promises
  • Hugo
  • Ed Wood
  • Crash
  • Dead Ringers
  • The Silence of the Lambs

5 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

I also got the quite wonderful Two Concerti for Xmas showing off his less brooding side.

Its funny how "brooding" Shore's oeuvre is, isn't it? Listening to him talking, you wouldn't think that would be his specialty. 

1 hour ago, Chen G. said:

Its funny how "brooding" Shore's oeuvre is, isn't it? Listening to him talking, you wouldn't think that would be his specialty. 

Just as John Williams' partnerships with Spielberg and Lucas have somewhat shaped the "John Williams" sound, although he has also been fortunate to compose other types of scores for more intimate films, Shore's partnership with David Cronenberg has also somewhat shaped the anticipated darker aspect of Shore. But he is so much more than that.

To demonstrate that Howard Shore is far more than just the composer for "Lord of the Rings," David Cronenberg's films, or even those of David Fincher, here's a curated playlist that I've put together, featuring scores that you absolutely must explore.

Howard Shore is an exceptional composer who still writes his scores by hand, much like John Williams. At 77 years old, he won't be around forever. The 'Écoutez le cinéma' series has already dedicated a compilation of 2 CDs to him, but he truly deserves a 20-CD box set, like Morricone and Williams. Make an effort to discover this exceptional composer. :wub:

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png