Robert Folk's ROCK-A-DOODLE (1991) - NEW! 2024 Movie Score Media (digital) / Quartet Records (CD)

Jay

folk_rockadoodle-1030x1030.jpg

MMS24005 (Discovery Collection Vol. 22) Rock-a-Doodle (Robert Folk) - release date: February 23, 2024 (CD due from Quartet Records)

https://www.facebook.com/moviescoremedia/posts/pfbid03EGHbzHfAV3Q4ZMnxEYMSCosCsPU237evRCBDvjV4vixQpRAYkk8WXGbKkegzQ4Ql

13 minutes ago, Dogstar said:

Debney had with Gibbo's nuttery.

what does this mean

And Debney worked on The Orville just as much as McNeely did so I'm doubly confused

2 hours ago, Dogstar said:

Amazing that this is coming out. Robert Folk is THE most underrated composer since he never had the resurgence that McNeely had with Orville or Debney had with Gibbo's nuttery.

He is in the same league of composers who can do absolutely everything and do it brilliantly. Man, if silly production allocations had not taken place he would have scored Goldeneye instead of Serra - he was hired for it. Imagine this instead of the grinding synth pop that Serra produced (and nothing against old Eric, his work on Joan of Arc is amazing):

Nice cue from Toy Soldiers. Interesting, active, but not too busy. 

Police Academy was a staple of the 80s. 

Do you have more by Folk you can recommend?

9 minutes ago, Andy said:

Do you have more by Folk you can recommend?

Beastmaster 2: Through The Portal of Time, contains one of the greatest adventure themes of all time!

You might also be interested in our interview with Robert Folk.

http://www.cinematicsound.net/interview-with-robert-folk-part-one/

http://www.cinematicsound.net/interview-with-robert-folk-part-two/

And you might enjoy this episode that was produced in conjunction with the interview containing music not heard in the interview.

http://www.cinematicsound.net/the-flag-ship-show-the-music-of-robert-folk/

Enjoy!

-Erik-

I've never even heard of this thing, but apparently the famous Norwegian band Vazelina Bilopphøggers did their own version of the score way back when, for the Norwegian version. But any Folk is worth checking out, so I'll give it a go. Other Folk recommendations have already been mentioned, but some of mine are ARABIAN KNIGHT (one of the best Menken copycats of the period), CAN'T BUY ME LOVE, LAWNMOWER MAN 2 and THE NEVERENDING STORY II.

Compared to what Erik is saying, I would wage that Dar the Hero is one of the greatest hero themes of all time (5:14 onwards, NOW that is a theme!)

• 1 month later...

https://www.qobuz.com/us-en/album/rock-a-doodle-original-motion-picture-soundtrack-robert-folk-tj-kuenster/r34fkkpjwqx1a

Will be buying later in the evening. Samples sound so great after suffering through the german promo, lol.

Don't see the CD on quartet yet :/

Edit:
Don't know about the technical side but the score itself is pretty great. I didn't remember it being this zany.

For me, standout tracks on this one include "Main Titles", "The Flood", "The Kitty Waltz", "To the City", "Chanti Crows", and the closing "Let There Be Light."  All six are tour-de-force pieces of scoring.  As for the songs, the Glen Campbell ones are great, but the owl ones involving Christopher Plummer... not so much.

Also, for the record, the end credits suite is compromised of various cues edited in post-production.  They are:

Main Titles (0:00-1:28) -- Crossfade to:

The Kitty Waltz (0:00-1:18) -- Crossfade to:

To the City (0:00-0:59) -- Crossfade to:

Let There Be Light (0:00-3:08)

Total Time:  6:52 Minutes.

I should know because I have heard this piece countless times.  It was the only piece of Folk's score I could hear in the film without any of the dialogue until now. 

Physical CD edition finally announced:

https://quartetrecords.com/product/rock-a-doodle/

Rock a Doodle
Robert Folk

16,95€
Ref: QR546

Limited edition: 500 units

MovieScore Media and Quartet Records present the premiere CD release of Robert Folk’s exciting, classic symphonic adventure score and T.J. Kuenster original songs for Don Bluth’s animated classic ROCK-A-DOODLE (1991).

The film is about Chanticleer, the rooster in charge of announcing the sunrise on a farm. However, one day the owls prevent him from rising and when the other animals realize that the sun is rising despite the rooster’s silence, the rooster leaves the farm in shame in search of new opportunities in Las Vegas. But Chanticleer’s departure has meant that the sun is no longer shining and the land is flooded, so the animals set out in search of their friend in the big city.

Robert Folk’s orchestral tour de force includes a memorable main theme, but also encompasses a fresh, dynamic score of wondrous melodic tunes, motifs, adventure, tension, mystery and action music, all colorfully performed by the Irish Film Orchestra under the baton of the composer. T.J. Kuenster provides a handful of original songs mainly performed by the cast of the film.

Although the songs were released on CD in 1992, Folk’s score has remained unreleased until today. This album was conceived, produced, edited, restored, mastered and cover art designed by Mikael Carlsson. Liner notes by Daniel Schweiger.

1. Main Title 2:16

2. Storm And Duke 1:59

3. The Flood 3:18

4. To The City 1:51

5. Edmond Meets Duke 2:09

6. I’m A Cat 2:04

7. The Kitty Waltz 1:27

8. The Voyage 2:38

9. City Reflections 1:51

10. Hunch The Bumble 2:41

11. Pinky’s Mood 2:02

12. Arena Chase 2:08

13. Copterjazz 1:30

14. Fish Bowl 2:54

15. Not A Fraidy Cat 2:32

16. Tiny Duke 1:05

17. The Copter Crash 1:29

18. Edmund To The Rescue 0:45

19. Chanti Crows 2:35

20. Let There Be Light 3:08

21. Sun Do Shine 2:08

22. We Hate The Sun 2:02

23. Come Back To You 2:22

24. The Bouncer’s Song 0:37

25. Treasure Huntin’ Fever 2:04

26. Tweedle-le-Dee 0:18

27. Sink Or Swim 1:39

28. Kiss ‘N’ Coo 2:47

29. Back To The Country 2:28

30. The Owl’s Picnic 0:46

31. Tyin’ Your Shoes 1:53

32. Rock-a-Doodle 2:07

Total Disc Time: 63:51

Ordered through MBR since I had a bigger backlog there, considering the shipping costs...

• 1 month later...

Has anybody on JWFan heard this new release?

Yes, I did.

I like the songs, but the score was a bit of a letdown to me personally. It's a lot of mickey mousing and I felt there wasn't really a strong theme to hook you into the score.

Yes, cd and digital. I like it but I like zany soundtracks.

My brain doesn't comprehend why someone wouldn't like the Owl songs. XD

I'm not entirely sure on the sound quality of the score in a few of the tracks (like main titles, it feels like a wobbly tape a little) but maybe that has more to do with the early 90s recording and me being weary of the movie's last remastering being done at the wrong pitch so in the back of my head I'm just worried that this release was being pitch corrected... I don't have anything to show for it.