The Official Michael Giacchino Thread

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not at all.  This thread borders on idolatry.  I don't even see anyone treating Williams in that manner here.

Neil

Let me :pukeface: or ;) your definition of idolatry.

If you dindt get it, you really ARE sickening with Star Wars. What you made last month was the most sickening period of this forums since im a member.

And you at least had a lot of threads for that that diluted it. We are little concentrated here, you know.

Luke, who prefers Williams over Giacchino.

And sorry for the personal attack, but what is said here is almost the same everyone does say about his favorite composers but comprised in one thread and being critisized for it countless time does burn one a little. And i think Rogue and I do joke sometimes, we are not always serious.

I'm not especially fond of Williams' work pre-Jaws.  And I am one of the biggest Williams fans there is.

I still fail to see what age has to do with it.

you really ARE sickening with Star Wars. What you made last month was the most sickening period of this forums since im a member.

In the future I'll try to be less critical of the mis-handling and mis-representation of John Williams and his music.

Oh wait, no I won't!

Neil

Not at all.  This thread borders on idolatry.  I don't even see anyone treating Williams in that manner here.

Neil

Neil would you please knock it off?

Idolatry? WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT NEIL!?!?!?!

I sincerely hope you are joking.

If simply expressing an appreciation for a man's music is idolatry than this board is full of religious fanatics.

Oh and I could personally give a flying fuck if this thread pisses people off. I really like Michael Giacchino's music and this thread is a place to discuss it free from other threads.

You know I laugh at you people. You complain when we discuss Michael's music in other threads. Then when we limit out discussions primarily to this thread you complain again. Hypocrisy anyone?

No one here is complaining about the countless Harry Potter threads. Least of all me. No one here complained about the numerous LOTR threads. No one here complained about the Star Trek threads. So WTF is the problem with this one?

If you dont like our fandom I could personally give a rat's ass. I am sorry for the harsh words, but the continuing comments being thrown at me and the other Giacchino fans here is really getting on my nerves. People claiming I now like Giacchino more than Williams. People claiming I am letting my appreciation of Giacchino go to far when it CLEARLY goes no further than the fandom of anyone else on here. Just because it is fandom for something YOU do not care for doesn;'t make it any less legitimate.

So finally if you dont like this thread I'd suggest you take the tiem to realize that you (GASP!) DONT HAVE TO READ IT!. No one is putting a gun to your head and forcing you to look in here. All you people do with your posts attacking this thread is bump it up again ensuring that it will continue. So please either join the discussion and quit the whining of just ignore the thread. For the sake of Giacchino fans and non-Giacchino fans alike?

Sheeeeesh! :|

Well said, Rogue.

I find this thread a bit of a comedic novelty, but since I think Giacchino a great composer I sometimes enter. But Neil must have lost his perspective for a moment if he thinks this is the only example of 'idolatory' on the boards. Anyone who has never seen this site before only has to look at the main page of JWfan to find a definition of 'idolatory'.

The thing that pisses me off is why all this negativity is drawn to this thread.

I saw Stefan heaping shitloads of praise on Howard Shore for his LOTR scores. Now I have no problem with that. I think they are very good scores. Obviously nowhere near as good as he does but I have no issue with his opninion.

No one seemed to attack Stefan or the other LOTR fans here for that stuff. Hell, Stefan even claimed the LOTR scores were better than anything Williams had put out recently.

I am starting to think that some folks here are showing some sort of "latent envy" over the fact that there is another guy doing music like the kind JW makes and getting alot of praise for it instead of Williams himself. I'd like to think this was incorrect, but SOMETHING is behind this. Exactly what I can not say for certain.

Anyway back on topic The Incredibles score seems to be CLEARLY a departure from Giacchino's Medal of Honor works.

However, I am fine with that. It will be interesting to see him tackle a new genre. I was expecting something more akin to what we've perviously heard from him but this will do just fine.

Anyway back on topic The Incredibles score seems to be CLEARLY a departure from Giacchino's Medal of Honor works.

Are you basing that on the 30 second clip with the music mixed extremly low?

Justin - Who thinks Rogue is probably right, but could not tell from the clip...

Here is what I wrote about the score at scorereviews.com. It's not a very well written review but you'll get the idea of what the score is like.

----

A highly enjoyable album with obvious nods to Mancini, Schifrin, 1960?s Williams, and John Barry?s James Bond.

There's about three themes that I could notice running throughout the score. Now, who?s themes are these? I?ll have to wait to see the film to find out!

At times the score is light and bouncy in such tracks as "Off To Work", "Lava in the Afternoon" and "Life?s Incredible Again." But in others we get full heroic action music with a jazzy, swingy touch in such tracks as "Bob vs. The Omnidroid" and "100 Mile Dash"!

And the album ends with a fantastic end credit cue cleverly entitled "The Incredits." which is a perfect end to the album and features a full orchestral/ big band statment of the film?s main theme.

I recommend this score to all and especially those who love a good old fashion throw back to 1960?s jazz influenced film music.

-Erik-

I got a question:

There are some videogames (small soldiers, Warpath -is this Warpath: Jurassic Park? -... ) that have orchestral scores, how is that there are no releases of them :baaa:

How could we get them?

As of right now, there are no plans to release Giacchino's scores to Small Soldiers or Warpath or any other past video game score of his.... which is too bad, because everyone should have the opportunity to smoke a joint and listen to Tai Fu!

-Erik-

No one seemed to attack Stefan or the other LOTR fans here for that stuff. Hell, Stefan even claimed the LOTR scores were better than anything Williams had put out recently.

So, I guess my name is "no one" then. In the past I've expressed my disgust with the LOTR scores on numerous occasions. Why didn't you read them? In fact, my whole signature is about them.

I have not one good word for them. There's only one score that I can think of that is even more emotionally insulting to film as an art form and that Horner's Troy. That one is downright parodic.

----------------

Alex Cremers

As of right now, there are no plans to release Giacchino's scores to Small Soldiers or Warpath or any other past video game score of his.... which is too bad, because everyone should have the opportunity to smoke a joint and listen to Tai Fu!

-Erik-

:roll:

There is one thing called promo.

Promotional use only, not for sale ;)

I gotta admit I am not exactly the biggest fan of that 1960's style of music, but I guess it fits the movie.

ARRGHHHH MIKE JUST GIVE ME ANOTHER SCORE LIKE MEDAL OF HONOR PLEEEEEEASE! ;)

Ok seriously its not what I hoped for, not even close, but it will have to do.

Hopefully the Mercenaries score will have some kick ass Giacchino theme.

Neil

Neil would you please knock it off?

Idolatry? WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT NEIL!?!?!?!

(...)

So finally if you dont like this thread I'd suggest you take the tiem to realize that you (GASP!) DONT HAVE TO READ IT!. No one is putting a gun to your head and forcing you to look in here.

(...)

You forget that it is Neil's Job to read every single thread here :P

I dust d/l some clips from some sort of remix promo on iTunes. I don't know if they're from the movie or "inspired" by the movie, but they sounded terrible. I certainly hope they were other people's butcherings of Giacchino's music, and not his own.

I dust d/l some clips of a some sort of remix promo.  I don't know if they're from the movie or "inspired" by the movie, but they sounded terrible.  I certainly hope they were other people's butcherings of Giacchino's movies, and not his own.

Michael had nothing to do with the remixes... thank God.

BTW, you can listen to a suite of music from THE INCREDIBLES right now at

http://www.geocities.com/cinematicsound/on_demand.html

Listen to Hour 1 to hear the suite.

The show is available for one full week.

Enjoy!

-Erik-

I was listening to the program (Hour 1). Erik was just talking about Giacchino and how the film fan community has always embraced his video game scores when suddenly Erik's voice went "cyclone" on me (some kinda vocoder sound). Then the sound was gone. No sound, no Giacchino, no Dallas. What happened?

----------------

Alex Cremers

Alrighty then, it's working again.

Mmm, , I must say, judging on my Packard Bell cans, that the sound quality is very good. I like it better than Randy Newman's scores for Pixar.

----------------

Alex Cremers

If this score is indeed a nod to the 60's style jazzy spy scores then why then'one things kinda puzzles me.

John Barry was first gonna score this.

John Barry has not written anything like that in DECADES!

I'm guessing at some point they realized that and got somebody else to do it.

Barry WAS attached to the project... he wrote a few demos... the producers didn't like them... they interviewed Giacchino... and he got the job!

Why the producers didn't like Barry's stuff is between Barry and the producers. That's all I have on the subject.

-Erik-

That music is...meh. Fun Barry imitation. WAY too Bondy for me. And no overpowering theme.

EDIT: WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too Bondy. Randy Newman at least sounded like Randy Newman. This sounds like a Barry imitation, but it doesn't even sound like giacchino. It sounds like Barry doing a Barry imitation (the kind of score I'd expect from one of the Bond inspired spy movie Barry did, like Ipcress File), or maybe Arnold.

That music is...meh. Fun Barry imitation. WAY too Bondy for me. And no overpowering theme.

EDIT: WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too Bondy. Randy Newman at least sounded like Randy Newman. This sounds like a Barry imitation, but it doesn't even sound like giacchino. It sounds like Barry doing a Barry imitation (the kind of score I'd expect from one of the Bond inspired spy movie Barry did, like Ipcress File), or maybe Arnold.

So, you are saying now that Giacchino is a hack afterall.

First Williams, now Barry. :wave:

Have you considered that maybe the director wanted Giacchino to write the score this way?

As for the theme... it really takes a couple of listens for it to jump out at you. It did for me. And now, after dozens listens, I can't get the theme out of my head!

-Erik-

Have you considered that maybe the director wanted Giacchino to write the score this way?

I'm sure it was. But this is not a great score. This is not the important Giacchino work people thought it would be.

I dont know what your talking about Morlock The opening track and Mad Dash sound very much like Giacchino and there are also other points in the score where you can clearly hear that it's Giacchino. BTW You will be happy to know that Giacchino is indeed scoring the video game aswell. I imagine that he took cues from movie and extended them and aranged them to fit the levels in the game. He probbably scored the game at the same time he did the movie.

Ronald C

But this is not a great score. This is not the important Giacchino work people thought it would be.

And you know this how? Have you seen how it works in the movie yet?

Neil