The Official Michael Giacchino Thread

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, though this is more than one month old, i had not heard about it until now:

link (in Spanish)

Michael Giacchino will the the Honor President of the VI Úbeda Film Festival.

Definately, i'll be returning next year, i hope...

Also a profesional video (i suppose this will be on next year's DVD) of the Star Trek performance

I should really get to Ubeda once, the trouble is, it's in the bloody middle of nowhere!

You should. Getting there is quite a challenge at the beginnig indeed (although there are plenty of convenient bus links between Ubeda and other main Spanish cities - ones with airports that is), but once you are there, it pays off. It's a wonderful little place at which you immediatelly feel like at home or even better.

Thsi week Michael Giacchino will be in Turin (Italy) as a special guest of the VIEW Conference, a festival dedicated to computer animation, 3D, videogames and entertainment technology. He'll participate in workshops/lectures and will also take part in a special discussion panel dedicated to his music. On Friday night he will also conduct a special mini-concert of his own music, performed by a local symphonic wind band (the arrangements are specially made by Giacchino himself for this occasion).

I'll be there along with my ColonneSonore.net partners (the website I write for) and will likely meet him for an interview!

• 2 weeks later...

SK: I was moderately disappointed with the amount of music on the STAR TREK soundtrack.

MG: Yeah, I know. I hope that they actually release the entire score at some point. I was like, "Wow! There's a lot of stuff we did that's not on there." There's the deck fight and the jump and all of these different pieces…but someday, I hope!

good to know that he shares our opinion ;)

Last week in Turin he said that Varèse is considering a kind of "Volume 2" release of Star Trek :)

On a side note I must say Michael is really an awesome nice guy. I had the luck of meet and speak with him. He's really a lovely person with a genuine passion about his job. And yes, he's the first to admit he's "one of us", a true film score fan.

Last week in Turin he said that Varèse is considering a kind of "Volume 2" release of Star Trek :)

On a side note I must say Michael is really an awesome nice guy. I had the luck of meet and speak with him. He's really a lovely person with a genuine passion about his job. And yes, he's the first to admit he's "one of us", a true film score fan.

volume 2?

better than nothing

yay!

Lets hope it contains all the unreleased movie (another 45 min cd) and NO DIALOGUE!

I'd buy it in an instant. Unless it had a considerable amount of redundant material, that is. I would hope that it would be all unreleased music, not a combination of highlights from the OST and new music. If that happened, it'd be more tempting to obtain the music through...other means. I'm not a huge fan of paying twice for the same music.

I would gladly buy a second installment of music from this film, even if it did include some repeated music. After all, I did willingly buy a second copy of Indiana Jones IV, and have yet to sell my first disc.

Besides, Datameister, you're the guy who's gonna enhance your complete score anyways when the DVD comes out.

If it contained some repeated music, yeah, but if it constituted a significant chunk of the material on the disc, I'd be a little annoyed. Luckily, I don't think that'll happen, though. (But yes, I did the same thing with the Indy box set...I wasn't happy about it, but there was no way I was going to NOT buy the Concord set.)

And naturally I'll be improving my edit once the DVD comes out, yes...I'm not sure what your point is. :) If a Volume II does get released, it'll render a lot of my work obsolete, but that's fine. I have fun editing this stuff, and I doubt a second disc would contain ALL the unreleased music anyway. The second disc would just give me yet another round of editing to do, and I can't say that'd bother me one bit.

err.. i'm the only one who thinks that the concord set was so cheap that Indy IV is like a free bonus?

Without indy IV its still about 15$ per CD (or much less depending the offer you got), the average price of a sole score.

I mean, no extra price was charged for indy IV. like no extra price is charged on blu rays for those DVD and digital copies of the films...

So you have it twice, but really, it was only paid once.

err.. i'm the only one who thinks that the concord set was so cheap that Indy IV is like a free bonus?

Without indy IV its still about 15$ per CD (or much less depending the offer you got), the average price of a sole score.

I mean, no extra price was charged for indy IV. like no extra price is charged on blu rays for those DVD and digital copies of the films...

Are you on Lucasfilm's payroll or something?

You know what? If they put together ALL the unreleased music, it would still amount to less than 50 minutes. They may as well just put it all in there, to make it a really legitimate full CD worth of music. As a standalone listening experience, it wouldn't be spectacular. But it'd give people the freedom to listen to however much of the score they wanted to. To make it a slightly more palatable listening experience, they could even throw in "To Boldly Go" and the end credits, and maybe "Star Trek" and "Enterprising Young Men" too.

My thinking is to combine the unreleased material from the film with alternate versions of some released cues, such as the Film mix of Hella Bar Talk.

In addition to the score itself, there are also source cues, like the music for the Starfleet Bar, and the Beastie Boys song "Sabotage", that also add to the narative.

As bonus tracks, I'd say the trailer cues by "Two Steps From Hell" would be nice.

Are you on Lucasfilm's payroll or something?

Well what he's saying is true. I paid $40 for the Soundtracks Collection, which amounts to $10 a disc if you're considering KOTCS a freebie. Even less per disc if you want to see it as double dipping.

There is actually one repeat that I WOULD want, and that is "Labor of Love" with the full ending.

There's a full ending? Or are you just talking about the tracked main title music? I love "Enterprising Young Men," but I don't think it sounds very good coming off of the very emotional "Labor of Love." It kind of wipes away the sadness of the scene.

Wellwhat he's saying is true. I paid $40 for the Soundtracks Collection,which amounts to $10 a disc if you're considering KOTCS a freebie. Evenless per disc if you want to see it as double dipping.

And I think it's a good deal too. It's just ridiculous how Manuel defends vehemently nearly everything the Lucasfilm corporation does.

There's a full ending? Or are you just talking about the tracked main title music? I love "Enterprising Young Men," but I don't think it sounds very good coming off of the very emotional "Labor of Love." It kind of wipes away the sadness of the scene.

Yeah, in the film, the final D lasts a lot longer, and the strings also swell with a lower B, C#, and D, implying sort of a Bm add9 chord. (I think I got that right...)

As far as UP not being on CD...Michael said Disney is getting out of the CD soundtrack business. Apparently all their score releases will be (if not already) online only.

Sigh.

Hopefully at least the musicals will still get CD releases, since they have songs going for them.

Ozzel -- who has already pre-ordered The Princess and the Frog on CD

Wellwhat he's saying is true. I paid $40 for the Soundtracks Collection,which amounts to $10 a disc if you're considering KOTCS a freebie. Evenless per disc if you want to see it as double dipping.

And I think it's a good deal too. It's just ridiculous how Manuel defends vehemently nearly everything the Lucasfilm corporation does.

I would have said the same for any other box set like that. But they usually are much more expensive.

But it seems that i cannot speak about lucasfilm...

I dont know why in this case it's faulty to say Lucasfilm got it right with a cheap price.

I mean its one thing to critisize me when i defend undefendable star wars or lucas errors, but here, come on, let me some space to breath.

Unless it had a considerable amount of redundant material, that is. I would hope that it would be all unreleased music, not a combination of highlights from the OST and new music. If that happened, it'd be more tempting to obtain the music through...other means. I'm not a huge fan of paying twice for the same music.

Asked about how the CD will be produced, Giacchino told us it will be a true Volume 2 with only unreleased music, like Varèse did with Goldsmith's Lionheart.

Asked about how the CD will be produced, Giacchino told us it will be a true Volume 2 with only unreleased music, like Varèse did with Goldsmith's Lionheart.

That's awesome. It'd be great if it had an original main title on it.

Woo freakin' HOO! ;) I look greatly forward to my complete score edit being rendered completely and utterly obsolete. I don't think I'll be able to resist making modifications in the mean time when I get the DVD, though. ;)

Unless there was a LOT of unreleased music not heard in the film (like, 20-30 minutes of it), all the unreleased material could fit on a second disc with room to spare. As far as I can tell, the entire score was indeed in the ballpark of 90 minutes.

If this actually happens as described, then it's a truly monumental time for film scores IMO. If it contained all significant unreleased music, and didn't contain any dialogue/remix crap in place of score, then I'd definitely buy it.

Varese does seem to be getting better deals though, with near full CDs for G.I. Joe and Ice Age 3. So who knows, maybe they've worked something out.

Something I don't get though, is that if the limited releases can avoid the reuse fees by pressing only a few thousand copies, why couldn't Varese press a limited number of full (or even double ;) ) CDs for otherwise expensive scores?

If it contained all significant unreleased music, and didn't contain any dialogue/remix crap in place of score, then I'd definitely buy it.

As you said this is Varese, not a mainstream label, so they should get it right. I don't expect a disaster on the scale of "More Music from Gladiator", that's for sure.

As mentioned above, if Varese releases a volume II, it will be full of the unreleased music. Not like the crap 2nd albums for Braveheart and Gladiator.

As mentioned above, if Varese releases a volume II, it will be full of the unreleased music. Not like the crap 2nd albums for Braveheart and Gladiator.

and back to the titanic, though this one had some more useful material.

It's got a lot of good material, but the dialogue ruins it.

It's a shame, but if you read a lot of reviews at Amazon, a lot of people prefer that kind of thing. They love the Pulp Fiction soundtrack album for the dialogue it contains. Those people want their soundtrack albums to be like little recaps of the movie with dialogue, songs, and major moments of score. The Apollo 13 album falls into the same camp, and it borderline sucks.