Potterdom Film/Score Series Thread

JoeinAR

All I've heard from him is Much Ado About Nothing within the film and all I heard was a bunch of waltzy stuff. Eh.

That's unfortunate, then. You should hear Henry V.

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No,I'm just saying composers like JNH write nice music,but I get very bored halfway through the albums because either the main theme is very repetitive or the underscore is uninteresting.Waterworld is a good example.

K.M.

If Greta was here right now, she'd kick your ass!

Ray Barnsbury

Doyle's scoring of 'Mary Shelley's Frankenstein' sounds pretty impressive, although it doesn't feature really strong themes. It just sounds... big. Big and rousing.

So I'm not worried about his scoring for the dragon-scenes and the meeting with Voldemort... But I'm having doubts about his ability to write good themes.

- Willy, who still can't wait for November 8.

Doyle's scoring of 'Mary Shelley's Frankenstein' sounds pretty impressive, although it doesn't feature really strong themes. It just sounds... big. Big and rousing.

So I'm not worried about his scoring for the dragon-scenes and the meeting with Voldemort... But I'm having doubts about his ability to write good themes.

The love theme of Frankenstein, although scarcely used in the score, his one of the best I have ever heard.

The love theme of Frankenstein, although scarcely used in the score, his one of the best I have ever heard.

You're perfectly right, I forgot to mention the love theme. But as you already pointed out, it only surfaces in a couple of tracks, and the remainder of the score consists mostly of 'grand sounds'. I like the score nevertheless, but it doesn't compare to the leitmotiv-approach of Williams.

Even if you have my word, that MY word, that he is one of the very best film composers nowadays?

All I've heard from him is Much Ado About Nothing within the film and all I heard was a bunch of waltzy stuff. Eh.

You should listen to it again. It is a rich, wonderful score, has great, memorable themes, and several show stopping tracks.

I have no doubt the score will sound "nice",and the orchestrations will be polished.But there's no way Doyle will write themes as memorable as  Hedwig's Theme or Harry's Wondrous World,because he never has and because nobody except Williams can write these kind of themes.

Horner could... back in '82. Arnold can. So can Poledouris. As can Joel Goldsmith. Granted, in their own way.

Doyle most certainly can. He has, on several occaisions.

With Doyle I expect "melodic filler music" of the kind that James Newton Howard writes,or like that Neverland score from last year.

Or not so melodic.

Doyle is as melodic a composer as they come. If he would've scored War of the Worlds, you'd almost certainly have a much more melodic score than JW's. His scores have almost no filler music, and his scores are generally much more tolerable than the Finding Neveland score.

Frankenstein is an exception in Doyle's work. As you said, it doesn't strongly feature a main theme, but it is big, and dramatic. And the love theme is very good. Listen to Great Expectations or Little Princess if you're looking for great melody (that's if Henry V or Much Ado About Nothing don't convince you).

All I've heard from him is Much Ado About Nothing within the film and all I heard was a bunch of waltzy stuff.  Eh.

You should listen to it again. It is a rich, wonderful score, has great, memorable themes, and several show stopping tracks.

And no waltzy stuff, coming to think of it.

That main title sequence is a great example of good film scoring, it has a big, bold theme and flows absolutely fine, yet it perfectly hits countless visual moments.

Frankenstein is an exception in Doyle's work. As you said, it doesn't strongly feature a main theme, but it is big, and dramatic. And the love theme is very good.

It's among the best love themes I know. And Doyle brings it up in so many amazing variations. The album really doesn't do it justice in that regard, I desperately want those (waltzy, by the way) source cues.

Marian - :mrgreen:

Listen to Great Expectations if you're looking for great melody.

Estella's Theme= :):jump::nod::eek:

~Sturgis

It most certainly is. But what's so great about Doyle is that of course you've got the straight forward playing of the theme, and then he does a mind blowing variation, in this case, 'Kissing in The Rain', one of the finest film cues ever, on album and on film. And he does this in several of his scores. A fantastic theme, played out in an absolutely amazing way.

A long time ago,someone made me a tape that had some of Doyle's Frankenstein music.I listened to it once and I don't remember anything memorable about it,at least not in a JW kind of way.

Big sound with lush orchestration does not necessarely mean great themes.LotR is an example.Williams could whip up a better "fellowship theme" in his sleep.

k.m.

Yes, but IMO, a simple themed score like (all) Lord of the Rings makes for a dour listening experience. Very boring. I am sure in many cases, this is not true. But with LotR, I can't sit through the CD. And by simple, I mean subtle.

If the "Fellowship Theme" is the same thing I'm thinking of, then it bears a strong resemblance to a theme from the 1940 serial, Flash Gordon Conquers the Universe. I'm sure it was tracked into that serial, but I have no idea where the music originally came from.

Neil

Nothing wrong with the Fellowship theme. Sure, it's predictable, but then the BotH theme is pretty predictable and simple and yet it's still good in context.

I don't think something has to be thickly orchestrated to be good - that's just how JW does things and I don't think we should compare them all the time.

Battle of the Heroes is a simple theme,but it's also very "John Williams",so that makes it good.Anyways it's better than the Fellowship theme which is "videogame" quality.

K.M.

I spontaneously picked up Doyle's Great Expectations at the store the other night, feeling that I should get to know him before the release of his biggest score yet. I'd already heard "Estella's Theme" and "Kissing in the Rain," which are both great (especially the latter!) so I had high hopes. I'm reserving judgment for now . . . but my reaction isn't what I'd hoped it would be, regarding much of what I've heard. If anyone wants to try to "sell" me on the score, feel free. I haven't heard much about it here.

Ray Barnsbury

It's good that you wasted 20 bucks just to check it out.

K.M.Who,if any of Doyles score had attracted his eardrums attention,would have bought some of them long ago.

devolpments and orchestrations that the Fellowship theme sadly doesn't have

Perhaps not, but it's still a wonderful main theme, and it does come in various disguises (Journey to Weathertop...). BotH on the other hand works quite well for the battle, but other than that, it isn't very remarkable.

Marian - who finds it overrated.

:music: Dangerous Beauty (George Fenton)

Battle of the Heroes is a simple theme,but it's also very "John Williams",so that makes it good.Anyways it's better than the Fellowship theme which is "videogame" quality.

:music:

Justin

The Main Theme to Star Wars sounds like King's Row.

What exactly is your point?

What do you think the point was? Simply acknowledging that I'm glad I wasn't the only one to hear the similarity. Don't worry, I'm not insinuating that Shore stole or borrowed from that piece.

I spontaneously picked up Doyle's Great Expectations at the store the other night, feeling that I should get to know him before the release of his biggest score yet.  I'd already heard "Estella's Theme" and "Kissing in the Rain," which are both great (especially the latter!) so I had high hopes.  I'm reserving judgment for now . . . but my reaction isn't what I'd hoped it would be, regarding much of what I've heard.  If anyone wants to try to "sell" me on the score, feel free.  I haven't heard much about it here.

I don't know really how to sell it, the theme I immidiatley loved. All I can do is suggest you listen to the CD a few times, and maybe rent the film, that helped sell the score to me. If I can make a suggestion- if you're interested in sampling some of Doyle's work before maybe buying it, you can PM me. Anyone else interested can PM as well, if interested.

:wave:

Justin