Best "End Credits" track by JW?

A24

Is this been done yet? The movie has ended. People are leaving the theater. But for some the movie isn't over till the last note that accompanies the last name or logo on the screen has faded. Which ending do you like the most?

I choose Jaws. The sea, the beach and a sad theme. I know the music is based on something but I still don't know the title or the composer. But each time I hear it I go JAWS!

----------------

Alex Cremers

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, I clicked on this link thinking, "Oh! That's easy! It's Temple of Doom!" Then I read where you said you thought it was Jaws and my situation became classified as a dilemma.

I definitely think Jaws 2 has as much of a good end title as its predecessor. Where Jaws was sad, Jaws 2 is upbeat, thanks to the "Catamaran Race" theme.

Pretty much the first three Spielberg-Williams films have great end titles. 1941's aren't so great, in my opinion. The Raiders March is good, but its sequel was better. ET is pretty good.

The classic trilogy end credits for Star Wars are all pretty good. ANH is great because it's Star Wars. TESB is great because the whole thing sounds good, note-for-note. ROTJ is just good in the transition from "Luke and Leia" to the last part of the Star Wars theme and the reprisal of "The Throne Room".

I kind of like the movie version of the Superman end credits. I like them better because there's that pause near the end of the march like in the Raiders march used in the end credits.

Those have been the only really notable end credits he's done for a while. Most of the Spielbergs are tracked in from other parts of the score (and I've been suspecting the same thing for the SW prequels). I guess Harry Potter counts, but it's not as good as Star Wars or Indy.

I've always liked the Far and Away end credits, too. Something about hearing a small Irish band being backed up by a full orchestra just gets me. Listening to that piece reminds me of spring, for some reason, and it's a breath of fresh, spring air anytime I can listen to it and imagine springtime in full bloom. Mmm...poemy...

Dan--who thinks it would've been neat to have Williams score the other Superman movies, adding new themes, and including them in the end credits like with Star Wars and Indiana Jones with main theme-bookends surrounding them.

The Empire Strikes Back has to be up there. It has a rich array of diverse and important themes, including one of my all-time favorites (Han and Leia) and maybe his best ending ever in terms of his use of brass and tympani. It seems to say "The stage has been set for Episode 6 and our heroes will return!"

- Adam

1) Close Encounters SE (the Wish Upon A Start flute, and the soft, final rendition of the theme)

2) TESB (best Star Wars finale)

3) TLC (gotta love the Knight Theme)

4) ToD (This might be higher, except I worked on a montage with it for a month, and it became the one Williams piece I got tired of.)

BTW Jaws for best end credits?

I really don't see that personally.

I mean its good, but vs. Williams' other many works IMO it wouldn't be even in my top 5 or top 10 probably.

I don't really care for the HPSS End Credits, I concider them "rehash" End Credits...

on the other hand I love Hedwig's Theme and Harry's Wondrous World,which I rank among the best "concert arrangments" Williams has composed.

K.M.

BTW Jaws for best end credits?  

I really don't see that personally.  

I mean its good, but vs. Williams' other many works IMO it wouldn't be even in my top 5 or top 10 probably.

I like it because it's a strange ending. It's not what you would expect. The evil shark is dead. It was man against beast and man has won. Yeahah!!! Start the fireworks! And then there's this quiet little sad theme.

----------------

Alex Cremers

I have to agree with everyone on The Empire Strikes Back.

Williams does an especially great job at the very end conveying the emotions of the moment-

basically the defeat of our heros.

But then as Adam said it sets the stage for the next Episode.

But KM, your argument means you must dislike those on your list too since they are rehashed as well. Thats what most of Johnny's end titles are. :roll:

Besides Hedwigs' Theme is the endtitle, with variation to HPSS.

uhhm, there is no ending, just a stopping point.

I was referring to the "End Titles".

Neil - who hates the 136 minute ending of Empire Strikes Back :|

"The Empire Strikes Back" for sure.

But "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" and "ET" are right behind.

Jeff -- who thinks just about every JW end credits music is exceptionally brilliant, even if it is, as most think, just a rehashing of themes

But KM, your argument means you must dislike those on your list too since they are rehashed as well.  Thats what most of Johnny's end titles are. :roll:

That is not what I mean.

K.M.Who knows the cue named Yoda's Theme is NOT tracked into the TESB End Credits.

Empire Strikes Back wins in a landslide for me.

Unlike TPM and AOTC and The Patriot, among others, he actually put time into composing what is arguably one the best endings cues of all time.

The flow of the entire piece is just amazing as well as Yoda's unexpected upbeat version.

I was going to reply to this awhile back with my choice which is a tie between Close Encounters, and Temple of Doom but I figured I'd give the others a try as well, and I have to agree w/ the majority here that my fav. is definately:

The Empire Strikes Back!

with

Temple of Doom

coming up second!

I just got the Charles Gerhardt / Varese version of the cd, and everything that I have heard about THAT recording, is true! It's uber-fabulous!

I just got the Charles Gerhardt / Varese version of the cd, and everything that I have heard about THAT recording, is true! It's uber-fabulous!

Yes! Someone else that has seen the light!

Neil

Born on the Fourth of July

Empire of the Sun (Exsultate Justi)

Amistad (Dry your tears Afrika)

Seven Years in Tibet

and, above all

Saving Private Ryan (Hymn to the Fallen)

Well, of course SPR is the winner, as the most amazing part of the score is only over the end credits. But as for the suites and such- I'm generaly not a big fan of them. On the CD they seem very repetitive.

But if I'd have to pick- probably HP&TSS for Harry's Wonderous World followed by ESB, which has great arrangemets of all the themes, from the gentle Force Theme to Yoda's to that fantastic change to The Imperial March.

I agree with Ray Barnsbury. Except for the order:

1. The Empire Strikes Back.

2. Far and Away

"E.T.", "Close Encounters" and "Harry's wondrous world" are excellent, too. And I'd like to point out the "Epilogue" from "The Fury", but as I have not seen the movie, I am not sure whether it is an End Title Track.

The end titles from "Hook", "The Last Crusade" and the Star Wars prequels are good, but would have been definitely better, had they not been merely tracked down from previous tracks.

It's a different version (the beginning is different, it doesn't have the middle section with the Raiders march, and the last note by the pizzicato is not the same), but it's tracked anyway.

I don't think it's the same recording,it's just that theme is harder to "variate" IMO.It sounds the same in the several cues it's in in the movie.

speaking of Last Crusade,anybody knows why the "Jones" theme,as heard on Keeping up with the Joneses and on Escape in the Truck(bootleg),both cues aren't in the movie,why was that theme cut out of the movie?

K.M.

Empire Strikes Back, I love how Yoda's Theme transitions into the Imperial March.

Also Harry Potter, and also the second movie because it gives me something to enjoy while waiting for the after credits scene.