Saving Return of the Jedi?

JoeinAR

Ray has a good point. There is an annoying factor about the Prequels is that Lucas is tying things together TOO much. For example: Did Boba Fett's clone father have to be the person who all the clones/Stormtroopers derived from? Did certain things and cartain storyline cycles have to happen in the prequels that were almost like the OT? Since it's a vast galaxy, not everything HAS to be tied together. Sure, tie basic plot points and some neat little extras together in terms of the overall story, but not EVERY little detail. I've read about more of these annoying 'too coincidental tie-ins' for E3. It works against the prequels and it started in Jedi with Leia being Luke's sis (wasn't Vader being his dad enough?).

A funny thing that my best friend said about Lucass that I found that I agree with:

"Lucas made Star Wars, like it or not he can do anything he wants to his own creation. And fighting Lucas is impossible. He will only ignore you, thus making you go insane."

All too true. Whether you love or hate what he does, it's his right to do. And rebelling against his actions appears to make him worse. Think about the fact that the music editing in AOTC makes the music editing in TPM seem ingenious, and the rumor that AOTC's expanded soundtrack was halted for no reason other than to spite us (possibly for the Ultimate Edition petition fiasco, who knows?).

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mm... Neil and Steef... youguys may be going too far here.

With the UE, we hated it mostly because the editing was pretty sorry, and it didn't deliver "every note as composed by John Williams" as promised. Those were my two beefs. As bad as the UE is, I still prefer it over the original album. But I listen to neither in favor of our homamade boots (mixin the OST, the EU, and the computer/game music files).

But the UE DID deliver us with A TON of unreleased (and pretty darn good) music. In excellent sound quality as well (at least IMO).

Te problem does lie in the fact that AOTC has the least amoun of noteable unreleased music of any Star Wars OST album. If Williams composed music for the end battles, it wuld be a different story althgehter, but we have beeen told repeatedly that those scenes were finished far too late t score (really a pity because I feel those scsnes stunk as is, but could have been pretty good with some music).

So, with AOTC, it isn't as essential to get a complete release as the previous SW scoes were. But Id still take a poorly edited one tomorrow than wait 10 years for a perfect one.

I don't think it's necessary. There's very little music to make it worth while. Not like TPM, where most of the good stuff were unreleased.

I don't like the extra special releases because of the title, but because of the music. AoTC has exactly one cue I sort of miss, and I'm fine with my rip of it.

"Lucas made Star Wars, like it or not he can do anything he wants to his own creation. And fighting Lucas is impossible. He will only ignore you, thus making you go insane."  

Very sad, but very true!

:cry:

Unfortunately!

I'd rather have a well produced complete AOTC CD in about 10 years then another Ultimate Edition debacle tomorrow.

I'd rather have a well produced complete AOTC CD in about 10 years ánd another Ultimate Edition (debacle) tomorrow.

OK then, don't bring it on. But do realize it will be the only SW soundtrack without any extra special extended release.

I'm sure someday we'll have complete versions of all of them. These things just take time.

Neil

I already have an ultimate edition of AOTC, I made it myself.

It has 1 track, the Endtitles which is the only track worth having.

The rest is, well lets put it this way, its the worst score by Williams since Saving Private Ryan.

I already have an ultimate edition of AOTC, I made it myself.

It has 1 track, the Endtitles which is the only track worth having.

The rest is, well lets put it this way, its the worst score by Williams since Saving Private Ryan.

Dunno if I would go that far, but it is EASILY the worst SW score!

So much of a let down my words cannot possibly express how much this score is looked down upon.

IMO it should not even be put in the same group as the other SW scores.

Bottom line is JW better redeem himself with the next SW score. BIG TIME! :wave:

Clones has about 120 minutes of new music, hard to believe as it is. There must be a lot that has not even been heard.

I myself like the cues that accompany the garage and funeral scenes, the extended "Zam the Assassin," the final duel, and "Emergency Powers."

I'd rather have a well produced complete AOTC CD in about 10 years then another Ultimate Edition debacle tomorrow.

Thing is, though...the edition they were ready to release was, I think, a real expanded edition, not an "ultimate edition."

Clones has about 120 minutes of new music, hard to believe as it is. There must be a lot that has not even been heard.

Well going by you're estimate (as well as John Takis') I figure there is about 50 minutes of music that has not been released. Someday though I'm sure we'll all get to hear it, though really AOTC is not really high on my must have list. Where is the complete TOD?

Neil

Well going by you're estimate (as well as John Takis') I figure there is about 50 minutes of music that has not been released. Someday though I'm sure we'll all get to hear it, though really AOTC is not really high on my must have list. Where is the complete TOD?

Neil

My sentiments EXACTLY!

20 years later and STILL we only have like what? Less than half the friggin score!

Temple of Doom needs a REAL release.

I don't think we need a complete AoTC score at all. We need a deluxe 6 cd Indy set.

Morlock- who thinks AotC is one of JW's worst scores

I don't think we need a complete AoTC score at all. We need a deluxe 6 cd Indy set.

Morlock- who thinks AotC is one of JW's worst scores

For me one really powerful theme is enough to redeem an otherwise poor score. I measure this in terms of the emotional blast of my first listening. Across the Stars made me giddy, I remember. It's still one of the only good tracks from AotC, but in my mind pulls it from a total disaster. Even the guitar riffs can't ruin that.

I only recently started liking the theme. I was giddy when I got the score, as it was the first JW score I bought within a week of the release date (it was my fourth JW cd), but I put it on, and then I heard that Hook music, it really turned me off the score for a while. Only thing I liked on the cd was the glorious version of the Emperial March.

I was giddy when I first heard the AOTC score since it came as an utter surprise, since I got the album about a month before it's release date. Remember when a promo leaked onto the net? That was so awesome! By the time it came to actually buying the album I already had it memorized. Then we had to deal with Sony Classical's incompetence, when they said the disc with the bonus track would be for sale at WalMart, when in actuality it was Target that got that disc, so I wound up with 2 copies of a score I'd already owned for a month. Then I saw the movie. My opinion of this score is no longer what it was when I first got it.

Neil

I'm probably the only person at JWFan that likes the score. I mean I know it's obviously the worst of the Star Wars scores and it can't compare with the original trilogy scores, but dang. I like it.

Justin

I wouldn't say than I'm a fan of the score, but I absolutely love certain parts/tracks. Across the Stars is a fantastic theme and cue that never fails to move me (anticipating a joke from Joe about bowel movements), and The Arena is a great action track, I love its central Trade Federation-esque theme. Also, the end credits are a wonderful suite, and you just can't beat that ending with the three themes intertwined. The secondary love theme is quite nice too . . . I guess the score as a whole is weaker than what it's made up of, to me.

Ray Barnsbury

I'm probably the only person at JWFan that likes the score. I mean I know it's obviously the worst of the Star Wars scores and it can't compare with the original trilogy scores, but dang. I like it.

I like it a lot too. It has seen the inside of my CD player numerous times since the film left theaters. It IS a disappointment and the worst Star Wars score, to be sure. But it has some great tracks. Unfortunately, it also has an equal number of flat-out boring cues. I think this CD represents the score very well, considering there is very little original music from the last third of the film. If this score never gets a deluxe/expanded release, I wouldn't complain.

Jeff

I like it a lot too. As said, it doesn't live up to the other SW scores, and is easily the worst of the lot. But despite that, it's still a solid score. And man, I love that Arena cue. I stll don't understand why they cut that from the film. That track friggin' rocks!

I particularly enjoy the latter half of the score, from when they arrive on Tatooine to the end of the CD.

I totally agree!

Come on Lucasfilm!

You did the full release for SW, why not Indy?

Give us the full releases these scores TRULY deserve.

I think AOTC is good... if you listen to mainly the odd number tracks.

I rather enjoy the Indy soundtracks as how they are now. I don't need another cold SE shower. Noooo, thank you.

::Shutters as visions of Nazi's pointing walkie talkies at Indy go racing through my mind::

~Karm

I think AOTC is good... if you listen to mainly the odd number tracks.
I rather enjoy the Indy soundtracks as how they are now. I don't need another cold SE shower. Noooo, thank you.

::Shutters as visions of Nazi's pointing walkie talkies at Indy go racing through my mind::

~Karm

Oh boy, a walkie-talkie joke. I'd almost forgotten about them. Please send a nickel to me now. ;)

Besides, Alex was talking about the SE soundtrack releases, not altering the actual films.

Neil

As usual, a movie's score is not well-represented by a seventy-minute album. I tell ya, there are some great cues that didn't make it onto the CD.

AOTC is really good to listen to after you've slit your wrists, and most of your blood has drained out, your at that point of euphoria just before death. Yep thats the best time to listen to it.

AOTC is really good to listen to after you've slit your wrists, and most of your blood has drained out, your at that point of euphoria just before death.  Yep thats the best time to listen to it.

Isn't AOTC the leading cause of this sort of behavior?

Neil

it's not that bad=,it's below average Williams,but 10 times better stuff than any other composer working today can write ;)

K.M.

it's not that bad=,it's below average Williams,but 10 times better stuff than any other composer working today can write ;)

Every Goldsmith score from 2002 was better than AOTC.

Neil

Overall, I am beginning to like his 'Hook' sound less and less. I didn't like Hook at first, but with a more complete score now it's getting better and better. But it's really Williams's cues in major that bother me most. No Ticket, that Gilderoy Lockheart thing, Yoda and the Younglings, well you know what I mean. In TPM he began using it in battle scenes too (as I have mentioned in a post before). Cues like Panaka and the Queen's Protectors (I think) resemble the officially released part of the Ultimate War far too much - it's lacking any proper Star Wars sound. I like his newer scores for his Spielberg films though, it's as if he is doing a special effort every time. (The only cue that bothered me in Minority Report is precisely this Eye-dentiscan.) He should take his own golden age-sound more into account. Anyway, I agree with Neil of course, bring on an expanded or preferably complete ToD any time over any other score.

Lotman

I think Minority Report contains one one of the best themes Williams wrote in the last ten years, namely, 'A New Beginning'. I especially like how the theme is played on the first track on the album. To me it sounds very "Golden Age" Williams.

I think Minority Report contains one one of the best themes Williams wrote in the last ten years, namely, 'A New Beginning'. I especially like how the theme is played on the first track on the album. To me it sounds very "Golden Age" Williams.

I agree, I don't know about the Golden Age sound, but Minority Report is one of his best scores in my opinion.

Every Goldsmith score from 2002 was better than AOTC.

Neil

;)

You crack me up Neil........

I agree, I don't know about the Golden Age sound, but Minority Report is one of his best score in my opinion.

I mean his "Golden Years" sound. For all I know, that one specific theme on Minority Report could just as easily been composed for the E.T. album. It sounds so 1982-ish.

---------------

Alex Cremers

It's not even in his top 25, as far as i'm concerned

Why not?

I agree the sound is quite bad, and I have mixed feelings about Anderton's Great Escape's appropriateness for this film (although I like this action cue more than most of his other action cues the last years), but I do agree with the liner notes (which áre appropriate for once), that say that it's a black & white score. Everybody Runs and the finale are Williams at his best, in my opinion.