Is Mischief Managed a waste of space?

Is Mischief Managed a waste of space?  

36 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No
    • Opinion in between "yes" or "no" (specify)

Yes it's good music, but only the first part is not actually already on the CD, the rest is just a cut & paste job.

It's 12 minutes that could have been used for new music, so even though it plays fairly well i'm not fond of it.

Reminds me of Silvestri's last cue of The Mummy Returns.

I miss the old days when Williams would re-arrage and record his themes for a totally original End Credits cue. (like the brilliant TESB)

Opinions anyone?

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although it's nice to have the end titles, you know there will be unreleased music and I'd rather have that.

I voted no because there is that excellent rendition of Double Trouble at the beginning. Plus, later, there is the vocal Double Trouble, which, if you listen closely, is sharper and better sung than the version on track 5. It isn't very noticable, but it's different. That makes me unsure whether all of Mischief Managed was just a slung together bit of all of the themes from the movie... What if he actually recorded all of this in one recording... I don't think they would just plop the music they have already recorded into one piece. It would have perhaps been smarter, but judging by the little differences I found, I think it might have been one big 12 minute recording, as I said before. This is probably all wishful thinking. I would have liked something more original like Harry's Wonderous World, even if I didn't like that song. Perhaps a more flowing, Hook-like version of Buckbeak's theme could have been put in the score. I don't know. I am just rambling.

Maybe it was from pre-recorded music. BUT it still is a nice recap of all of the scores from the movie. I have noticed that if there is really good music in the movie then they will stay for the end credits, just to hear it inn all of its glory. I think of it from that point of view.

I hate that it's mostly re-hash,but the first 2 minutes are a highlight of the album,so "yes and no"

K.M.Who thinks the record producers think the fans won't notice or won't care.

Maybe it was from pre-recorded music. BUT it still is a nice recap of all of the scores from the movie. I have noticed that if there is really good music in the movie then they will stay for the end credits, just to hear it inn all of its glory. I think of it from that point of view.

*Sigh* It will work with the movie. People will like it as end credits, even if SOME don't. ;)

K.M.Who thinks the record producers think the fans won't notice or won't care.

You are basically saying John Williams thinks the fans won't notice or won't care.

Yes,they are putting it out for the casual fans who need the themes to be re-capped in whatever form,do you think any Mugglenet denizen would complain about this?Lets see,if *I* did this c.d.,i might still edit film cues togheter like Williams to fit the 1 c.d. format,but I would never put the same music twice or leave out clear highlights(insert probable music when Buckbeak flies at the end of the movie).

I think Williams is out of touch between what HE prefers in his music and what the fans prefer.Same with the rest of the album mixers/editors,they are not fans in the same way we are,so they put what they "think" is best.

K.M.

Let's just say we didn't like John Williams *GASP!* Let's say we just saw the movie's end credits... Would we like the music? Yes, because we wouldn't have necessarily listened to the CD before. We would think, oh that's nice how he put all of the themes together.

**Or didn't know about John Williams cause if we didn't like him then we wouldnt like the end credits... DUH to me.... ;)

Let's just say we didn't like John Williams *GASP!* Let's say we just saw the movie's end credits... Would we like the music? Yes, because we wouldn't have necessarily listened to the CD before. We would think, oh that's nice how he put all of the themes together.

Meaning Mischief Managed caters to the ignorant, not the people who have been buying Williams scores for 5, 15, 20....or 15 years.

In almost every case,Williams 1 c.d. OST's could have been much much better than the album we got if thought out more carefully by someone who THINKS like a fan.TPM,for example, tells you Ken Wahnberg doesn't give a crap about us.

K.M.

I think Williams is out of touch between what HE prefers in his music and what the fans prefer.

K.M.

I just think Williams is out of touch with his fans.

I think Williams is out of touch regarding how his music is best represented on CD.

Marian - who's been saying that since Jurassic Park.

I vote between yes and no. I love the new statement of Nimus 2000 and the orchestral Double Trouble. The rest could have been shorter, though, as it is just rehash.

As far as the raging debate over how Williams puts his albums together, he's always catered the casual fan more than us hardcores. How do we like our scores? Complete and cronological (most of us, anyway). How do we get them? Partial and jumbled. Some more than others. AOTC and SS/PS were relativley in order, while TPM (the OST) and COS were a mess, cronologically speaking. These are good examples as they are the extremes, most others are in the middle.

John- who knows what he's talking about because he obsessively re-edits all his JW 1-disc OSTs to fit film order. ;)

And who also thinks Mike Matessino is The Man.

I voted no just because it doesn't bother me all that much. If Williams had composed a proper end titles suite and it had been replaced on the CD by this then I would have voted differently. As it stands it works well enough as a finale. I'd rather end the CD with this than with the "Finale" which doesn't tie the music up at all.

As for whether or not the CD would have been better served with more unreleased music instead, well even as it stands there's 10 minutes they could have filled. They obviously gave us everything they thought we would want. I'm not saying that's a good thing, but I just don't think we would have been given more music whether they included Mischief Managed of not.

It's not a waste of space becasue if you don't want to listen to the 50 minutes or so of the album you could skip right to Mischief Managed.

That's the dumbest thing i've heard this week, you might even beat Alexcremers.

According to that viewpoint the PoA CD should have just that last track on it.

LOL ;) LOL :wave: . You misunderstood.

I love the first two mintues, so no. The rest of it is redundant, but if they have the begining of the end credits they're gonna have to have the rest of it. So if it's all or nothing, I choose all.

I love the first two mintues, so no. The rest of it is redundant

But what about that great, summing-up-the-adventure feeling you get after you've listened a cd and then the end credits?

I know I miss it very greatly when I listen to Hook.

Besides, the order of the selections is great to listen to. Works perfectly as a concert suite.

-Ross, who has only heard Mischief Managed from PoA as a sample of the album, to be bought somewhere in the near future.

It is wasteful, yes.

The first time you listen to a CD, it's not really noticeable and you like it. But tracks like these are for 1st time listens only. Every additional time that you listen to the CD, it becomes irritating that it is a re-hash. The producers of these Williams soundtracks since the mid-90's have made them more for 1st time listeners who rarely listen to soundtracks rather than the die-hard fans and collectors like most of us here.

Many of us have been upset with the way Williams (and whoever else edited the scores) has arranged and edited the CDs since the mid-90's. Too much re-hashing, too much wasted space, too much great music left off of them.

Granted, not every score needs a full-blown complete-&-chronological edition, but the bigger scores like Star Wars, Indy, Potter, Jurassic parks... those need them! :devil:

OK. Many DVDs have two releases... sometimes regular and deluxe editions... why not film scores? I'd buy both regular and expanded versions... and many here would. Why not release them? Especially with sure-fire sellers like Star Wars and Potter? It really makes no sense otrher than Williams and/or his producers or studios not wanting them released?

No, its a great piece of music edited or not, its fantastic, and its no different than most things he's done throught the years. Throne Room, the endtitle of ESB, ROTJ, all have that same rehash all the major themes, even if the approach is somewhat different. I mean lets face it, Rebel Fleet is just a reworking of Throne Room, just as Double Trouble is a reworking of Harry's Wonderous World.

Besides we all know the even though Chris doesn't like HP, he will end up making a complete score, so what we get now is now, what we get later will be it all.

Well, as Steef stated, the Star Wars OT end credits were all original compositions skillfully weaving multiple themes from the film, with ESB's being the best (at least to me). I miss those. Although this track is well-edited and may be an exciting little track, but between more original unreleased music and a re-hash track, I'll choose more unreleased music all the time. :devil:

And btw, so far I like this one as the best HP score to date. At least the initial listens (although opinions can change over time, I remember being thrilled about the 1st Potter CD, then it grew tiresome on me over time). They still don't bring me as much enjoyment as any Star wars score, although this one is better to me. At least for now.

Also, I haven't made a homemade complete HP score yet. Other people beat me to them because they like them more than me, then I trade for them. I don't even have a complete COS yet (although a semi-famous and somewhat mysterious and often-confused-for-another-member-of-JWFan.net has long owed me one in a trade ROTFLMAO if you are reading this write me! :P).

The first several minutes with Double Trouble are fantastic as many have said, and I really wish Williams would've continued in that vein for the rest of the end credits (new arrangements of the themes, woven together). However, it does make for a good sum-up, so I vote for between yes and no.

Ray Barnsbury

Bah! Why not release full-blown Star Wars Trilogy: Special Edition and Superman style 2-disc-sets for Harry Potter? What do they have to lose?

Honestly, I love Mischief Managed!, but there's about 12 minutes to spare on the CD itself. Yet, that space is used for advertisement crap that can just be found at the official website. For shame.

Many DVDs have two releases... sometimes regular and deluxe editions... why not film scores?

Because the film score market is a tiny niche. DVD sales are huge.

Neil

Meaning Mischief Managed caters to the ignorant, not the people who have been buying Williams scores for 5, 15, 20....or 15 years.

Then I'd like to have this clarified: who are HP scores made for/targeted at? For the long-time JW fans? For HP movies/books fans exclusively? For both of the both? Or just for the demands of the movie? Perhaps they're compromise to be as serviceable as possible with 70 minutes as presented on the score to appeal to as wide a community as desireable. I mean, unlike with majority of JW's previous scores, isn't working on HP limited way too more than on any other project he did, even the Hook that HP is being oddly measured by all the time? I think it must be accessible to young HP fans in the first place, so the music perhaps carries the side-effects of for-youngsters-chewable simplicity while remaining as Williams' work as only JW can punch into such demands-constrained task. Who knows. He who listens and hears might know best... :)

Bah!  Why not release full-blown Star Wars Trilogy: Special Edition and Superman style 2-disc-sets for Harry Potter?  What do they have to lose?

They could perhaps lose money from the standard album releases sales suppose the "full-blown" sets are complete and definite. They might come one day, though, after the time will prove HP scores worthy of such treatment, which could still take long years to happen.

Right now i'm resisting the urge top declare this the best Williams score since The Lost World.

It's brilliant, but I really need to listen to it more before I can give any valid opinion.

And you won't hear from Marian untill he's seen the film.

I think it's good in the sense that it includes the best tracks of the first half of the CD. It goes backwards according to tracks on the CD so it's like a "score parabola" if you will. I love the last few notes of Hedwig's Theme at the end, this is how I'd want the very last movie to end. I like how he bookends this score, though I prefer the old celeste as heard in the first two albums.

What I really love about the track is it's treatment of Nimbus 2000. I mean, I guess if the theme would've appeared anywhere else it would be the same, but opening the end credits with that theme solidifies it's classic status. Although I'm sure it'll be used again in the HP scores, it sounds as if it's a retired theme from the first movie, and coming back it's like a classic theme making a cameo.

Right now i'm resisting the urge top declare this the best Williams score since The Lost World.

Give up, you already made that declaration (and I have the ICQ history to prove it).

And you won't hear from Marian untill he's seen the film.

Exactly. Though if Double Trouble is just the piece used in the trailer (or a very similiar version of it), I'll put that on....so, is it? Or is there other material in that track as well?

Marian - who now has the CD.