Horror films scores

John McClane

Hi!

I recently trade with a friend of mine the complete promo scores of the Scream trilogy by Marco Beltrami and I love them.

I now want to expand my horror films scores collection, so I need some title. My friend, who travels in the U.S.A. one time every two months for work, will buy them for me!

Right now, I have these titles:

- Scream (Marco Beltrami)

- Scream 2 (Marco Beltrami)

- Scream 3 (Marco Beltrami)

- Final Destination (Shirley Walker)

- Final Destination 2 (Shirley Walker)

- Ghost Ship (John Frizzell - Varèse Sarabande)

- Friday 13th Part VI: Jason Lives (Harry Manfredini)

Next time he will search for all the "Nightmare on Elm Street" scores and all the "Friday 13th" scores, but I need some more title.

Thanks

T-Mirko-J

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marco Beltrami's scores to I Robot & Hellboy are also very good

Horror scores mmmm, Bernard Herrmann's are the scariest from a musical perspective - not just the "He's behind you!" orchestral burst style.

-Tim

Yeah, I already have the I Robot and Hellboy scores, and they're great, but I'm looking for something more...scary. I think Scream and Final Destination are perfect example of what I mean.

Regarding Herrmann, I have a 2CDs-set compilation called "Psycho-The Essential Alfred Hitchcock", which have a lot of Herrmann's music. There's a cue from JW's Family Plot too.

- Maniac cop by jay chattaway

- Warlock armageddon

- Hellraiser & Hellraiser 2 (BY christopher Young)

- Phantasm by fred Myrow

- Childern of corn 2 by daniel licht

- Pupptet master 1 & 2 by Richard Band

- Pet Sematary by elliot gothental

- The Omen by goldsmith

- The Howling by pino donaggio

Thanks Halloran for the names!

Another name that comes into my mind is "Cabin Fever" by Angelo Badalamenti and another composer that I can't remember.

BTW, Halloran, maybe this is only a coincidence, but I found a lot of horror scores on eMule "by Halloran", then I see the same name here, and I had the idea to start this thread! ;)

BTW, Halloran, maybe this is only a coincidence, but I found a lot of horror scores on eMule "by Halloran", then I see the same name here, and I had the idea to start this thread! ;)

No Coincidence ;)

I highly recommend...

The Omen - Jerry Goldsmith

Damien: Omen II - Jerry Goldsmith

The Final Conflict - Jerry Goldsmith (more of an epic biblical type score but there for completism)

Alien - Jerry Goldsmith (some of the scariest music I've ever heard)

Halloween - John Carpenter

The Prince of Darkness - John Carpenter

A Nightmare on Elm Street - Charles Bernstein

A Nightmare on Elm Street Part 2: Freddy's Revenge - Christopher Young

Freddy vs. Jason - Graeme Revelle

Psycho - Bernard Herrmann

since no one has mentioned it, you should try Pino Donaggio. His scores to Carrie, Dressed to Kill, and Tourist Trap all fit the bill as great horror scores.

Amityville Horror, The

Always scares the crap out of me......

something about children singing "la la..."

And I also vote for "Alien". It is one of the scariest (very creepy).

They've been mentioned already, but all of Goldsmith's scores for the Omen trilogy (especially Final Conflict), Alien and Chris Young's Hellraiser 1 & 2 are all great.

Ah this will be a good thread to look at, i don't own much horror scores except maybe Sings. I can get some recommendations.

For really scary-ass music try Ligeti's REQUIEM. That's terrifying.

The Exorcist (including Lalo Schifrin's rejected cues)

The Shining (featuring "Rocky Mountains" by Wendy Carlos)

Alien3- Goldenthal

Interview with the Vampire- Goldenthal

Pranks- a very very early Chris Young effort

The Thing- classic Morricone score

The Changling

I recomend all of the scores from the "Alien" series.

Alien - Jerry Goldsmith

Aliens (get the Deluxe Edition) - James Horner

Alien 3 - Elliot Goldenthal

Alien Resurrection - John Frizzell

All have some great stuff. Alien 3 has some really freaky stuff with the brass and if you listen with headphones it's even creepier! Resurrection's themes are just so cold and unnerving, and many have already reccomended Mr. Goldsmith's fabulous score to the frist Alien film.

Also, I should mention Poltergeist and Poltergeist II: The Other Side by Jerry Goldsmith.

Jerry apparently also did a score for Poltergeist III but they didn't use it in the final cut because they couldn't afford to pay him. Cheap movie anyway.

Hmmm, horror movies. A favourite topic of mine! I would recommend the following scores (most on the basis of having heard them in the film, rather than owning the score CD):

- Halloween - John Carpenter

- Cabin Fever - Angelo Badalamenti and Whatshisface (Nick Barr?)

- Hellbound: Hellraiser II - Christopher Young

- Jaws - John Williams

- The Lost World: Jurassic Park - not strictly a horror movie of course but a few of these cues scare the crap out of me! :mrgreen:

- Signs - James Newton Howard

- Psycho - Bernard Herrmann

- Suspiria - Goblyn

CYPHER

- Suspiria - Goblyn

Goblin :mrgreen:

It's an Italian band...check out Profondo Rosso, it's their greatest success. I think is pretty famous. It's a Dario Argento film like Suspiria and many other.

It's an Italian band...check out Profondo Rosso, it's their greatest success. I think is pretty famous. It's a Dario Argento film like Suspiria and many other.

Is that Deep Red, Tommy? I've seen that but wasn't very impressed. I've also watched a couple of other Argento movies though, and I like his first couple of slasher flicks. Silly me recommending an Italian filmscore to an Italian! ;)

CYPHER

No, you're not silly! ;)

And yes, "Profondo Rosso" is "Deep Red"...the film isn't that great, but the main theme is a lot famous. The beginning is similar to "The Exorcist" main theme, with the scary music-box music.

Horror Film Scores

Most have been mentioned.

But i also love Carpenter's "The Fog". And the later stages of Apocalypse Now could be called 'Horror' i guess (afterall, those were the last words of Kurtz). Carmine Coppola's score in those final scenes, is very surreal. When Willard walks down the steps etc, and the whole acid trip thing at Do lung Bridge.

• 1 month later...
And yes, "Profondo Rosso" is "Deep Red"...the film isn't that great, but the main theme is a lot famous. The beginning is similar to "The Exorcist" main theme, with the scary music-box music.

I really want to watch some more Argento movies now. I've been hanging out to see Suspiria for, like, forever!

CYPHER

I'm glad someone mentioned Goblin, although I'm a little sad someone beat me to it. Suspiria is a great example of how a simple ostinato can often form the basis of an incredible score. I have an excellent CD compilation of original Goblin scores. It's called Italian Horror Showcase (KICP 648 on the Seven Seas label). It has original tracks from the scores of Suspiria, Zombi, Phenomena, Tenebre etc. Well worth checking out if you're into this highly original and experimental group of musicians.

If you like Beltrami, check out Mimic, Dracula 2000, and The Faculty. Also, Virus (Joel McNeely) and as some others have said, Aliens is a great one

Psycho is not a great listening score, its have very select moments, but its not

a great overall score.

Can you tell me how many movies of these series were made?

Please correct if it's wrong.

- Friday the 13th: 10 movies.

- A Nightmare on Elm Street: 7 movies.

- Hellraiser: 8 movies.

And I'm not counting Freddy Vs. Jason, which would be the 11th Friday's movie and the 8th Nightmare's.

Is that correct?

Not counting Freddy vs. Jason, there are 10 Friday the 13th movies:

Friday the 13th (1980)

Friday the 13th Part 2 (1981)

Friday the 13th Part 3: 3D (1982)

Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter (1984)

Friday the 13th: A New Beginning (1985)

Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives (1986)

Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood (1988)

Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan (1989)

Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday (1993)

Jason X (2001)

There are 7 A Nighmare on Elm Street films (again, not counting Freddy vs. Jason.

A Nightmare On Elm Street (1984)

A Nightmare On Elm Street Part 2: Freddy's Revenge (1985)

A Nightmare On Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors (1987)

A Nightmare On Elm Street 4: The Dream Master (1988)

A Nightmare On Elm Street: The Dream Child (1989)

Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare (1991)

Wes Craven's New Nightmare (1994)

There are 8 Hellraiser movies, 4 of which were direct-to-video products.

Hellraiser (1987)

Hellbound: Hellraiser II (1988)

Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth (1992)

Hellraiser: Bloodline (1996)

Hellraiser: Inferno (2000) (V)

Hellraiser: Hellseeker (2002) (V)

Hellraiser: Hellworld (2004) (V)

Hellraiser: Deader (2004) (V)

Gotta love the IMDB. :thumbup:

- Marc

Thanks Marc!

I was on IMDB too...you can see by the fact I edited my post (in the same minute you posted yours! :thumbup::P)

---------------------------------------

So...using titles given by Marc, here's the scores I still don't have for these 3 great series:

Friday the 13th:

-Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter (1984)

-Friday the 13th: A New Beginning (1985)

-Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood (1988)

-Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan (1989)

-Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday (1993)

-Jason X (2001)

Hellraiser:

-Hellraiser (1987)

-Hellbound: Hellraiser II (1988)

-Hellraiser: Bloodline (1996)

-Hellraiser: Hellseeker (2002) (V)

-Hellraiser: Hellworld (2004) (V)

-Hellraiser: Deader (2004) (V)

Wow...I have all the 7 A Nightmare On Elm Street scores!! :thumbup:

Cool enough, they're all from 7 different composers. I also have the "Friday 1th: The series" by Fred Mollin and the "Freddy Vs. Jason" score by Graeme Revell.

Mirko - Still looking for "Cabin Fever" and the above mentioned missing scores.

I've got Young's Hellraiser as well as The Fly II, both great horrow scores. Plus Unforgettable and Species - more thrillers than horror, but still really good.

Have you heard Beltrami's Dracula 2000? I've got the 2 disk complete set. Scary stuff.

Some other great horror scores I've got:

Blade 2

The Relic - Debney promo

Coma - Goldsmith

Omen 1-3

Poltergiest 1-2

Brainstorm - Horner

The Cell - Shore

Terminator 3 - Complete 2 disk by Beltrami

I'm really interested in getting the complete scores to the Scream series. E-mail me if you're up for a trade:

jason@jasongraves.com

I'll PM you as well!

:spiny:

Jason

Yes Jason, I have Beltrami's Dracula too, along with a lot of other Beltrami scores. But I have only the OST, we could trade the Expanded bootleg! :D

I should edit my first post in this thread, thought. I'm just lazy...but in this last two months my horror scores collection has grow a lot!

For bootlegs trades, I prefer eMule...it's just faster then the regular mail system. You know I'm so damn lazy! :spiny:

Thanks everybody for the suggestion!

More to come, I hope! ;)

So is eMule a PC thing? I'm on a Mac, PLUS the anal-retentive side of me wins out over the impatient side and really prefers trading CD-R's via snail mail instead of mp3's through the internet. Let me know if you get enough patience mustered up to do a trade with CD-R's.

:)

Jason

Yep, eMule is a file-sharing program like Napster use to be (althought with Napster it was possible to only share Mp3s). But it must work on Mac, too, I bet.

I prefer to trade with Mp3s, since it's fast and you can burn them on CDs as you want. That's why I didn't post my sticky "Trade list" on the Trading Board.

With eMule I ONLY download bootlegs, I mean scores that aren't in stores. I don't download OSTs, I just buy them!

I download music that isn't available anywhere. So no composers are damaged by this.

For example, I downloaded the 3 Beltrami's Scream scores, but that's because in the stores we only got the lame songs soundtracks.

I love these scores, and if one day the complete scores will be released, I will buy them. That's for sure. In the meantime, I'm enjoying my bootlegs.

Also, there are scores, and OSTs, which are very old and impossible to find, or available only on vinyl. That's the only kind of OSTs I could download.

I mean, I would never download "Signs" or "The Terminal" or "The Mummy", just to mention few, because I like to own the original CD, and I buy it in the store.

And for the short bootleg scores, I burn them in 1 CD if they last less than 80 minutes. For example, I burned Jaws 3 and Jaws 4 in one CD, which is only 1 hour of music.

Now kinda gimme more names!! 8O

Mirko

P.S.: Jason...get a PC! Mac sucks! :)