Best Unreleased Harry Potter cue

John Crichton

Best unreleased Harry Potter cue.  

23 members have voted

1. 1.

• Ollivander's (Sorcerer's Stone)
    • You're the Boy Who Lived (Sorcerer's Stone)
    • Halloween/The Troll (Sorcerer's Stone)
    • The Forbidden Forest/Encounter With Voldemort (Sorcerer's Stone)
    • The House Cup (Sorcerer's Stone)
    • The Writing on the Wall (Chamber of Secrets)
    • The Last Message ("Her Skeleton Will Remain...etc.", Chamber of Secrets)
    • Opening the Chamber (Chamber of Secrets)
    • Dumbledore's Speech (Prisoner of Azkaban)
    • A Walk in the Woods/Winter (Prisoner of Azkaban)
    • Harry's Vow (Prisoner of Azkaban)
    • Learning the Patronus (Prisoner of Azkaban)
    • The Shrieking Shack (Prisoner of Azkaban)
    • Rescuing Sirius (Prisoner of Azkaban)
    • Other (specify below)

I was thinking about this while listening to the HP scores last week. As with all Williams scores there are many great unreleased cues, although I think all three OSTs are well representative of the respective scores. So which is the best?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Call me crazy, but I love the "Opening of the Chamber" cue, even though it's just a reworking of the end of "Meeting Tom Riddle." The way the Sorcerer's Stone motif is manipulated throughout that cue, just amazing.

You know, I was thinking about you when I put that on there. LOL

Personally I think it's an extremely weak cue, mainly because of the Stone theme reworking, but I know some like it so there it is. It's the only cue on the poll that I don't love, actually. :thumbup:

I go with the whole "Forbidden Forest" sequence. It's very menacing, and leads up into what IMO is the best rendition of You-Know-Who and Voldemort's theme in succession. It's so powerful, with the harsh low brass and the vocals. I get shivers just thinking about it! It annoys me listening to "Meeting Aragog" on the CoS album; the music is straight out of the first movie but cuts to new music when You Know Who/Voldie is stated. I knkow it's not thematically right, and I'm glad it's not on the second album, but it's such a tease!

oh boy,can I have a c.d. of these poll choices?

The dark forest bit I miss the most is the noble part when the Centaur speaks to Harry.Then there's The House Cup.We do get a re-recording of it on the CoS album,but it's missing the last sweeping string statement of Harry's Theme,so that ruins it right there.CoS doesn't have much noticeable unreleased music IMO.Then there's PoA,that has a lot of great unreleased cue.The single most effective moment is Dementor Test 2 with the brass over choir heroic part,but overall I guess I'll go for Rescueing Sirius,which got my vote.

K.M.

There's so much great stuff. I'd have to listen to it again before I make my final choice. I really like the Forbidden Forest stuff and that great little theme you hear at Olivander's. Then there's the stuff from PoA, particularly Learning the Patronus and Rescuing Sirius. Darn it, it's all good! :thumbup:

I like all the cues mentioned here, but the one brief cue I was thinking of lately is the Dumbledore's Speech from PoA (aka A Word of Caution). I love the way it starts frighteningly as Dumbledore talks about the dangers, and then suddenly, as Dumbledore raises his two fingers, comes one of the best uses of the Double Trouble theme. All the actions -- especially the lighting of the candle -- is musically accompanied to great effect . . . also, the subsequent Double Trouble Theme as the students leave the great hall is really inspiring . . .

LOL

First would be the scene with Harry and the map in PoA when he sees the footprints of Pettigrew. I love Peter's theme!!!!!! Why isn't on the CD somewhere?!!??

Second would be The Forbidden Forest from SS, for the reasons magical_me mentioned.

I'm like Neil, I don't have a clue to what any of these sound like.

I do wish that mischief managed was like the movie, though I love the album version too.

I went with Ollivander's. The subtle magic of the cue, as well as the choral theme when Harry receives the wand (Given a reprise in the COS track) makes it No. 1 for me.

i like the harpsichord in shreiking shack - hope i'm thinking of the right cue. . .

ren, who remembers the days when km hated potter. . .

My vote went to Dumbledore's Speech, for all the reasons Josh500 stated.

My runners up:

SS:

Entering the Great Hall (not on the list): Wonderful brass fanfare-ish type thing.

Wand Shop: Very mystical, even more so than Hedwig's Theme, IMO.

CoS:

Her Skeleton Will Lie...: Very evil.

POA:

Train in the Rain (not on the list): When the Hogwarts Express is in the rain on the way there. Very dark and menacing.

Rescuing Sirius: A great restatement if the Buckbeak's Flight theme, with a better introduction.

Pettigrew on the Map (not on the list): A great moment with the drum rythm under the looming and growing variations of Peettigrew's theme

Mr. Weasley's Warning (not on the list): Very dark, with versions of Sirius's menacing motif intermingling with Pettigrew's theme.

A lot of unreleased music...(cough -- full score releases of all the HP movies -- cough).

~Sturgis

I ended up voting for The Forbidden Forest, but I love pretty much every cue up there and several not on the options. And those who say they're happy with the album and haven't bothered to pay close attention to the unreleased music in the film don't know what they're missing. :)

And those who say they're happy with the album and haven't bothered to pay close attention to the unreleased music in the film don't know what they're missing.  :)

Indeed!

~Sturgis

I picked Rescuing Sirius, because I think it's where they're flying on Buckbeak and when Buckbeak takes a dive, you hear this really cool flute (maybe it's piccolo) chromatic-ish fall. I hope I'm thinking of the right cue.

Also, I don't know if this counts, but I liked the music from the POA trailer. Where it starts out with the strings/vocals doing these minor-to-major chords. That was a neat sound.

I picked Rescuing Sirius, because I think it's where they're flying on Buckbeak and when Buckbeak takes a dive, you hear this really cool flute (maybe it's piccolo) chromatic-ish fall.  I hope I'm thinking of the right cue.

Also, I don't know if this counts, but I liked the music from the POA trailer.  Where it starts out with the strings/vocals doing these minor-to-major chords.  That was a neat sound.

Yes that's the cue,the picollo thing is brilliant.

Amd no,that trailer music wasn't composed by JW.

K.M.

Augh, I need to listen to most of these to make my choice. A notable exception is Errol's Theme from CoS (the only unreleased bit worth mentioning from that score, IMO). It's a flighty, fanciful, magical melody that begs to be expanded upon.

Ray Barnsbury

Amd no,that trailer music wasn't composed by JW.

Unless he's talking about the first few chords of the teaser which were followed by Double Trouble, in which case Williams did write it. Which trailer were you talking about, composer_fan?

Augh, I need to listen to most of these to make my choice.  A notable exception is Errol's Theme from CoS (the only unreleased bit worth mentioning from that score, IMO).  It's a flighty, fanciful, magical melody that begs to be expanded upon.

Ray Barnsbury

Yes, it's a superb comic alteration on Hediwg's Theme. :wave:

Unless he's talking about the first few chords of the teaser which were followed by Double Trouble, in which case Williams did write it. Which trailer were you talking about, composer_fan?

Yes, that's the right trailer, with the chords, then a bit of Hedwig's Theme and then Double Trouble. It starts out with that wide shot of the train on the bridge. I think the chords (they're inverted) are Am, D/A, Am, G

Yes, that's the right trailer, with the chords, then a bit of Hedwig's Theme and then Double Trouble. It starts out with that wide shot of the train on the bridge. I think the chords (they're inverted) are Am, D/A, Am, G

Ren is correct, it begins on f#, with i6/4. Does anyone have a link to the audio for the trailer? I still don't have it.