Did The Academy Nominate the Right Williams Score This Year?

Lurker

Was Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban a better choice to nominate than The Terminal?  

49 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. Definately yes. A million times yes.

The Terminal is a great score, sure, but POA was such a departure from the other two scores and is so varied (Rossini-esque classical, big band Jazz, medeival carnival-type song, Celtic recorder theme). It's so great; it was one of the best things of the summer (along with the POA movie). The score fits the movie so well, it is so much darker.

The Academy made the right choice to nominate it. Now let's see if they make the right choice again!

~Sturgis, whose post count is the number of degrees in an entire turn...dunno why I added that

Was Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban a better choice to nominate than The Terminal?

Neil

since you asked the question, I think you too should answer it.

I say yes, but I am not a fan of the Terminal score, or film.

Ross hit is right on the head. But I would give The Terminal a smidgin more credit.

Justin - who thinks 2004 was the best year for JW scores for many a year!

I want to say Yes, but in another point of view... what's Williams's chances on winning with a franchise score? (Harry Potter, Indiana Jones, Star Wars)

The music is clearly a lot better in HPPoA then in The Terminal, but at least the film in itself is unique... well, I dunno, I put yes :thumbup:

The Terminal not memorable? The broad jazzy tune didn't leave my head for many days (maybe even weeks). The Terminal is the easily the superior score for me since it consists of less standard mickey mousing (sometimes I have the feeling I'm listening to Prequel music).

----------------

Alex Cremers

The Terminal not memorable? The broad jazzy tune didn't leave my head for many days (maybe even weeks). The Terminal is the easily the superior score for me since it consists of less standard mickey mousing (sometimes I have the feeling I'm listening to Prequel music).  

----------------

Alex Cremers

did anyone think that Alex would say something nice about Potter, I know I didn't.

I like the medieval touch of the third Potter album (although true Potter fans are probably regretting that part)

Well speaking as one Potter fan I think it worked quite well.

Now being a 2nd sequel its chances of wining are far less than a standalone work.

*Couch* ROTK *cough*

Is there any other sequel to have won?

ROTK was an exception, the kind of year a movie because of his popularity, wins almost all the oscars.

I like the medieval touch of the third Potter album (although true Potter fans are probably regretting that part)

----------------

Alex Cremers

No... not regretting it.

And I think the Academy chose wisely. POA is so varied, but it all works - it's genius.

SeekUYoda, a true Potter fan who really loved the medieval touch of the third Potter album!

I like the medieval touch of the third Potter album (although true Potter fans are probably regretting that part).

True Potter fan here. Verdict is...I liked it.

~Sturgis

Uh....

I better be serious on my posts or someone will change my genre....

Sturgis, do you believe i could say something like that to any Williams score?

POTA is pirates of the caribbean, i just left the 'T' to make a joke.

POTA-POA (see? 8O )

Actually I know I'm new and I'm probably gonna get ripped for this, but......THE POC should get the nod this year. It was a wonderful score, sorry 8O

I'll let someone else deal with this one.

In future Kross it might be good to keep that kind of stuff to yourself. 8O

Justin - Closet Zimmer fan. I mean....not...not a closet Zimmer fan.....

Hey, I love JW. I love him for many reasons, his command of the orchastra, his wonderful Motifs...so on and so forth. BUT THE POC SCORE WAS VERY REFRESHING TO MY EAR. POC won't win cause of the whole religious thing, but I think it was the best "FITTING" score this year.

Ah, yes. I see the problem. Are you talking about The Passion of The Christ. Yes that score is good. For a second there I thought you were talking about Pirates of the Carribean. (Considering that's the score we were talking about before.)

Justin

Last time I watched Pirates of the Carribean I wanted to go into the garage and start hitting myself on the head with a baseball bat. That's more comfortable on the head than listening to that score.

John- who actually enjoys all other aspects of the movie. 8O

REN, I'll have to agree and I don't mean to "BASH" but well I do I guess lol. Listen, first off I'm obviously not in the "KNOW" and not in hollywood scoring movies. However, I just felt that the movie should have been scored alot differently, thats just me. Just my half a cent.

Are you talking about The Passion of The Christ. Yes that score is good. For a second there I thought you were talking about Pirates of the Carribean. (Considering that's the score we were talking about before.)

Justin

Johnny Depp was brilliant as Jesus Christ in his drunken drag-Queen pirate days....

If I'm not mistaken, I believe one of the other polls verified that most of the people on this board feel that The Terminal works better as an album piece. But there wasn't much room for it in the movie, and although I'm probably more consciously aware of the score then I should be in order to adequately enjoy a flick, I didn't really notice Williams in it as much.

As a score, PoA is way better. There was so much more for Williams to do. So in that sense, the Academy picked the right one.

Not at all, personally. It's fresh and fitting.

Ray Barnsbury

----------------

Alex Cremers

I'd say with the subsequent posts, that this comment has been proven inaccurate, I too like the medieval stuff too,

I don't like the terminal score/////////__________________________________

BUT I would be rooting for it to win if it had been nominated.

Last time I watched Pirates of the Carribean I wanted to go into the garage and start hitting myself on the head with a baseball bat. That's more comfortable on the head than listening to that score.

I enjoyed the PotC score. Don't mistake me: IT IS BY NO MEANS REMARKABLE IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM, NOR SHOULD IT HAVE BEEN NOMINATED FOR AN OSCAR. That said, I find it somewhat enjoyable, though the track titles are totally messed up. I know a lot of people don't like it, but it was just a fun score, CERTAINLY not one of my favorites, though.

~Sturgis, who is prepared for the reprocussions :)