Attack of the Clones, the tradition breaker

Well after seeing AOC i was a little shocked by the new things changed, that were tradition before:

- coruscant (after the opening titles) from down-up instead from up-down.

- finale (wedding) shorter that 2 minutes, in the other movies they were at least 2 minutes long

but there is still hard tradition..> only green -blue sabers for the jedi

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also have you noticed that both ESB and AOTC have 4 dots after there opening scrawl while ANH and ROTJ hace 3 dots. I don't remember TPM I think it has 3 I'm not sure.

Justin -Who can't believe the details he remembers... :o

Another 'tradition breaker' was the crummy animated Yoda, which RUINED the consistency of the previous 4 films. Yoda didn't look right, and his artifically rubbery face looked NOTHING like the puppet. Once again, it's a case of animators trying to show off skills for no apparent reason when a Yoda puppet would have worked fine.

Also have you noticed that both ESB and AOTC have 4 dots after there opening scrawl while ANH and ROTJ hace 3 dots. I don't remember TPM I think it has 3 I'm not sure.

I dunno, here in Spain people only uses 3 dots. But it is not as important as the EpII opening crawl.

Well what where your feelings about it?

I dunno, here in Spain people only uses 3 dots. But it is not as important as the EpII opening crawl.

Well what where your feelings about it?

I was just pretending to be a fanboy. I don't really care. About the dots I mean. :)

Justin

Another 'tradition breaker' was the crummy animated Yoda, which RUINED the consistency of the previous 4 films.  Yoda didn't look right, and his artifically rubbery face looked NOTHING like the puppet.  Once again, it's a case of animators trying to show off skills for no apparent reason when a Yoda puppet would have worked fine.

WRONG!! I was going to say about the puppet Yoda, but i think that we can pass without a puppet in the 21th century. Anyways that YODA is the best CGI i have ever seen and makes things that a puppet could not dream on. And if you want a tradition, surely lucas will make YODA CGI for all movies, wich i'd like.

The puppet could have worked fine, but not perfectly as the CGI. And in the battle it could not have worked.

I thought Yoda was fine. There were a few scenes where I thought he could have been better, but overall he was very well done. :o

Justin

Purple is the color of royalty.

And Mace was royally good.

I thought the use of the CG Yoda in The Phantom Menace was great! It broke the 2 film tradition of using a muppet. 8O

Jake - who thought he was the only one who counted the dots after the opening crawl.

:) The Phil Hendrie Show

By definition, an ellipsis should have 3 dots, except when it's closing a sentence. Then, it should have 4 -- 3 for the ellipsis, and 1 for the period at the end of a sentence.

~Harry, part-time grammar nazi :)

By definition, an ellipsis should have 3 dots, except when it's closing a sentence.  Then, it should have 4 -- 3 for the ellipsis, and 1 for the period at the end of a sentence.

I forgot to add:

So, the opening titles that have 4 periods are correct, and those that have 3 don't have a sentence-ending mark.

~Harry 8O

The CGI Yoda was excellent. Ok, his face DID look a bit textured at some points. But the original Yoda DID look a lot like a Muppet in most of his movements. Just because CGI has flaws that are different from those of "conventional" models doesn't make it worse. Models have flaws that CGI doesn't. Yoda actually walking around made him so much more believable. (And tell me how you'd do that finale with a Muppet :spiny:)

:) Attack of the Clones

I also loved Yoda in AOTC, especially in the final fight. I was giddy with excitement!

Ray Barnsbury-whose English Lit. teacher looks like a short, squashy, female Yoda

Personally, I very much prefered the CG Yoda to the puppet Yoda in all cases except where Yoda is standing still. My preference is even much greater still when Yoda is talking. Every time puppet Yoda talks, the (lack of) lip synching completely threw me out of the trance the movie had put me in. Not just forgetting that Yoda was not real, but that forgetting that I was watching a movie, which I am prone to do. With the CG Yoda, that happened far less. I am very sensitive to whether sound and video match up -- which includes the lips move in the right way -- and if they don't, my brain gets confused and has to thing much too hard. I don't think I've seen a puppet with good enough lip synching that I have not been thrown out of the movie and into the theater watching a movie.

I didn't even remember that Yoda was CG until he had a substantial screen time.

Not really, she actually waddles like E.T. :)

Ray Barnsbury-finding it odd that his teacher relates to two prominent sci-fi aliens :alien:

By definition, an ellipsis should have 3 dots, except when it's closing a sentence.  Then, it should have 4 -- 3 for the ellipsis, and 1 for the period at the end of a sentence.

I did not know that...

:oops:

OOps... I mean :arrow: ....

:)

The CG Yoda was much closer in appearance to the old puppet used in T ESB and ROTJ than that abomination in TPM!
DAMMIT! Stop copying my thoughts!

-Chris, Who thinks that if Lucas should digitally fix stuff in re-releases, he should fix that TPM Yoda and that abomination Jabba in ANH....

The CGI Yoda was excellent. Ok, his face DID look a bit textured at some points. But the original Yoda DID look a lot like a Muppet in most of his movements. Just because CGI has flaws that are different from those of "conventional" models doesn't make it worse. Models have flaws that CGI doesn't. Yoda actually walking around made him so much more believable. (And tell me how you'd do that finale with a Muppet :|)

:( Attack of the Clones

Jim Henson, almost 20 years ago, could make Kermit disco, I'm sure ILM could make a convincing Yoda fight with a sword, with or without CGI audmentation. And CGI here and there is fine, but to completely recreate Yoda digitally, I feel, was a mistake. Here's my contention: a CGI character does not occupy true space. It sits inside a computer, completely 2-D. A puppet, on the other hand, for all it's cheesiness, at least casts genuine shadows in it's environment, realistically reflects light and holds a tangible, realistic presence in whatever setting it is in. I've yet to see CGI convincingly do this. In TPM, JarJar was well-animated but still added a 'Roger Rabbit' element to the film: a cartoon in a world of living beings. And that's exactly how Yoda looked.

I don't meet to be a Yoda basher: heck, I think the little guy is great, and I thought that Clones was a great film (aside from the butchering of Williams' score).

A puppet couldn't move around that fast :(

Yoda didn't look that bad to me for the rest of it, but a puppet might have been better.

And to me, in this film Jar Jar looked almost like a puppet :|

Harry -- once again, you've enlightened and impessed me.

Dan - intrigued further by Mr. Potter

:music: "Jeanne Reads Her Memoirs" from The Affair Of The Necklace (D. Newman) -- an interestingly moving score

• 1 year later...

My God... I forgot about this one. KM dug it out of the depths of hell!

I missed Morn and Steef before so I'll reply now:

I think Yoda looked great in every movie other than TPM. He did NOT look younger, structurally his face appeared different. He looked like another alien of Yoda's kind, but not Yoda himself. I thought the CG was great in AOTC, although the puppet was still damn good, IMO.

And nothing is as bad as the ANH SE Jabba. That needs to be re-done because in TPM he looked very much like he did in ROTJ (other than being slimmer and moving), but looked like a mess in 1997's ANH SE. Don't get me wrong... I love the re-addition of that scene (with the SE's I love missing scenes restored but not like the changes other than the ROTJ Finale), but the 1997 CGI Jabb's was very poor (at least compared to what can be done now).

Ok, then let me guess... Ep III will have 3 :wave:

Actually, after the opening titles, it does go down. Right after that, watch the ship TURN UPSIDE DOWN. It really did go down only we were upside down. You can tell by the ship turning. (See if i made any sence).

Hehe. The opening pan upward is a hommage to the sci-fi classic 2001: The Space Oddysey, although in my opinion, if they wanted to pay a little hommage to 2001 like that, they could have done it with one of the other planets.

- Marc, who has learned to look beyond the flaws and personal disappointments of AOTC and found quite an enjoyable movie.

:wave: Betrayal At Bespin from The Empire Strikes Back