• Octopussy
    • A View to a Kill

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you see a pattern emerging?

A View to a Kill. A guilty pleasure.

Indeed - one of my most-watched Bonds, but not the one that gets my vote here.......For Your Eyes Only beats the lot of them for me.....

The Moore films are watchable but none of them are particularly good.

For Your Eyes Only is my favorite.

Justin

Nobody does it better

Makes me feel sad for the rest

Nobody does it half as good as you

Baby you're the best.

I wasn't lookin'

But somehow you found me

I tried to hide from your love light

But like heaven above me

The spy who loved me

Is keepin' all me secrets safe to night

And nobody does it better

Though sometimes I wish someone could

Nobody does it quite the way you do

Why'd you have to be so good.

The way that you hold me

Whenever you hold me

There's some kind of magic inside you

That keeps me from runnin'

But just keep it comin'

How'd you learn to do the things you do

And nobody does it better

Makes me feel sad for the rest

Nobody does it half as good as you

Baby

baby

darlin' you're the best

Baby you're the best

baby you're the best

For Your Eyes Only

Neil

What Neil said!

BKL

Again' date=' I agree with them. What a cute idea Neil, anyway!

Mirko - revealing Neil and Ken's comments by quoting them! *invisible smiley*[/color']

• 1 month later...

Octopussy is a bit of a strange one. On the one hand it has some of the best sequences in the whole run of Moore films. The opening scene with the heat-seeking missile, the post-credits scene with the knife throwers chasing the clown (very Hitchcock!!!), Bond trying to get to the bomb at the circus etc. However it has such awful moments too. The final "Oh James" scene is throw-up material. The plastic crocodile, Bond "hiding" inside the gorilla suit, the over-acting of the main villain (who's name I can't even remember). It really could have been so much more, but the silly humour kind of wrecked it. It looks like From Russia With Love next to Die Another Day though.

Most scenes are actually quite laughable too, like how the hell did Moore escape from that hunt, he was right under their noses, yet escapes because one man on an elephant misses him?

• 3 years later...

Having grown up mostly with his Bonds, Moore is my all-time fav 007. :blink:

1. For Your Eyes Only

2. Moonraker

3. Octopussy

4. Live And Let Die

5. The Spy Who Loved Me

6. A View to a Kill

7. The Man With the Golden Gun

Probably The Spy Who Loved Me. I would rate For Your Eyes Only as the best but that stupid opening with Blofeld ruins it.

I also like Live And Let Die and A View To A Kill.

I would rate For Your Eyes Only as the best but that stupid opening with Blofeld ruins it.

Incredibly enough, but in spite of that striking resemblance the guy bears to Count de Bleuchamp, there was actually never any official information that

Bond did in fact kill Blofeld

in the beginning of FYEO. :o Probably because of some legal riff-raff with Kevin McClory or whatchamacallit. ;)

Mr Bond, Mr Bond! We can do a deal! I'll buy you a delicatessen ... in stainless steel!

:blink:

Man with the Golden Gun - nothing great, but it's the last Moore film that retains some charm of the old installments, before turning itself into pastishe and parody in The Spy Who Loved Me , which is one of the most cringe-inducing part of the franchise for me. Some say that both Vader and Indiana Jones have been raped, but what happend to James Bond in TSWLM was far more humiliating.

Chris, who thinks Moore was great James Bond, but who dislikes most of his 007 movies, utterly hating TSWLM.

I chose Octopussy because it's been a personal favourite of mine. Great movie, great song, great dialogue, great locations, great leading lady, great villain, great cinematography, great editing, great costume design, great production design (that satin bed....yummmmmmyyyy), great food ("It's odd, but when I'm stared at, I tend to lose my appetite")

Moore was Bond when I was born ('74), so I grew up thinking he was the Bond. Even though I loved all the others, they always felt like fakes.

I grew out of that.

I still love all of Moore's Bond movies for one reason or another, but the truth is that most of them are kinda crap.

Live and Let Die = fun crap

The Man with the Golden Gun = crap

The Spy Who Loved Me = crap

Moonraker = microwaved crap

For Your Eyes Only = good, but not great

Octopussy = good, but not great

A View to a Kill = diarrhea

Like I said, I love them all for various reasons, but I'll be glad if the series never goes in that direction again.

By the way, I voted for For Your Eyes Only.

Live and Let Die = crap apart from the song

The Man with the Golden Gun = somewhat fun crap

The Spy Who Loved Me = near great, the epitome of the Moore Bond style

Moonraker = fun crap

For Your Eyes Only = pretty damned good, but not typical Moore Bond imo

Octopussy = half crap

A View to a Kill = crap

Which is probably why it's such a standout in the Moore entries. Who'd've thought we'd see Roger Moore kick a living bad guy off a cliff? Good stuff.

Which is probably why it's such a standout in the Moore entries. Who'd've thought we'd see Roger Moore kick a living bad guy off a cliff? Good stuff.

Early on he even used to beat black people and slap women... :( I wonder what UNICEF has to say about it.

I only liked 1/2 of the Moore as Bond movies - Live and Let Die, Man with the Golden Gun, The Spy Who Loved Me and, yeah, I guess For Your Eyes Only.

I REALLY could have lived w/o Octopussy and Moonraker. The later being a really low point in the Bond series

Early on he even used to beat black people and slap women... :ola: I wonder what UNICEF has to say about it.

Not to mention caging a midget....

Just realised I never actually cast my own vote in this thread!

The Spy Who Loved Me. Great Bond film! It's the epitome of that OTT style of Bonds. Silly but good fun, and most importantly it still manages to feel classy.

Then For Your Eyes Only. Ok, so it feels a little too similar to the superior On Her Majesty's Secret Service in places, but it's the last of the good Moore Bonds.

My least favourite are The Man With the Golden Gun (what a dull final act! It should have been a spectacular cat-and-mouse hunt between Scaramanga and Bond, using those amazing islands as the battleground. Setting traps, stalking, slowly getting the upper hand, building weapons out of sticks etc. It could have been an amazingly tense and exciting 30-40 minute sequence. Instead we get that crap 5-minute scene in a studio set. Not only that, but we've already seen the whole bloody thing in the pre-credits sequence!!! Oh my. The biggest wasted opportunity in the entire Bond series.

Then A View to a Kill. It's just so crap.

The Spy Who Loved Me. Great Bond film! It's the epitome of that OTT style of Bonds. Silly but good fun, and most importantly it still manages to feel classy.

I don't get it where that class is. When Bond and agent Amasova were driving through the desert in a dilapidating van with a silly music playing on, I felt like Stan March watching Indy being raped. :(

There is more cheese in TSWL than in the Switzerland and France together.

cheese_cellar.jpg

Moore was Bond when I was born ('74), so I grew up thinking he was the Bond. Even though I loved all the others, they always felt like fakes.

I grew out of that.

I remember the same thing with myself. It wasn't until I began to read the novels that I got particularly interested in seeing the film versions, and that's when I discovered the real screen Bond.

BTW, that looks like a Ken Adam set.

• 2 weeks later...