Drew Struzan ROTS Poster

Lurker

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ROTFLMAO

WORST Star Wars poster yet. The badness of this poster is surpassed only by the Episode III Teaser Poster ... but that was just a photoshopped throwaway -- this is Struzan! Never mind obvious flaws like Obi-Wan's hair being backwards, the composition on this thing is ALL wrong -- look how Vader squashes everything to the lower portion of the poster. Just visit Star Wars.com and look at all the posters lined up and tell me this one doesn't stick out like a sore thumb. Struzan doesn't make these kinds of mistakes -- I'd bet you money this design wasn't his preferred choice. This is clearly a product of Lucas' dictatorial hand. "No, no, Vader needs to be HUGE!" Art has once again taken a back seat to marketing. Words cannot express my disgust.

Worst of all, the vast majority are going to wet themselves in glee over this, lapping up the chunky gobs that dribble from Poppa Lucas' chin, because you know, the man just shits gold! ROTFLMAO

ROTFLMAO

No offense intended, K.M., I just don't understand your enthusiasm at all...

Yoda does look like shit.

btw on tonights episode of Whose Line is it Anways, has Neil's Avatar Woman doing stunts with Drew Carrey

... but that was just a photoshopped throwaway -- this is Struzan! Never mind obvious flaws like Obi-Wan's hair being backwards, the composition on this thing is ALL wrong -- look how Vader squashes everything to the lower portion of the poster.  

:pukeface:

No offense intended, K.M., I just don't understand your enthusiasm at all...

Isn't it similar to TPM where Darth Maul was huge in the background?

at least Jar Jar is not on it

K.M.Who still likes the poster for the time beeing,but expect ,most of the JWfans to trash it.

my only complaints are Yoda, and the fact that C3PO and R2D2 are not on the poster, as they are the bridge between the two trilogies.

K.M.Who still likes the poster for the time beeing,but expect ,most of the JWfans to trash it.

That's just the standard knee-jerk reaction these days. :pukeface:

Personally I like the poster just fine, but I'm no art critic and won't try to play one on the Internet.

I agree it's stupid that Vader's helmet takes up the top third of the poster. The interesting parts are everything below that. I definitely preferred the teaser poster, that actually required thought.

Check out this high resolution image. Look at the horrible Photoshopping done to this image. Note the purple highlights around Anakin's hair and the white flare on Anakins face and on the top of Padme's headpiece. The light sources for these are now totally obscured by Vader's helmet. He's covering something that used to be there! Look at the background behind the unrulier parts of Anakin's hair. They're orange, but it should be black, since Vader's helmet is there and not an actual background. And Vader's helmet looks more like a publicity photo from Star Wars than a painted image.

And Yoda is not an action hero. As for Sidious, I believe I have found his body double...

witch.jpg

Neil

Wow! I have to agree with Neil 100% on this!

Although I like the poster, this is an edited version of Struzan's painting. We can imagine what the original must be like!

You're totally right, just look at them all lined up and you can see how much it stands out from the rest:

http://starwars.com/episode-iii/release/pr...ws20050308.html

Oh well, this has no impact on my anticipation for the movie... or more importantly, the JW score!

resolution .  And Vader's helmet looks more like a publicity photo from Star Wars than a painted image.

Neil

Yes ,because he still has the assymetrical OT face(look at the 'cheekbones').In RotS they supposedly made Vader's mask symetrical.

K.M.

You're totally right, just look at them all lined up and you can see how much it stands out from the rest:

http://starwars.com/episode-iii/release/pr...ws20050308.html

Oh well, this has no impact on my anticipation for the movie... or more importantly, the JW score!

Well,it does show that Lucas still can't control himself to edit over other people's work.Also it seems in the original painting the characters must have been placed higher and less squashed in the bottom of the poster.Maybe there was a planet (mustafar?)or additional spaceships in the top left corner.Maybe chewy was there too.

Maybe we'll eventually see the original work on Drew's website eventually...

Fianlly,I still maintain that the poster looks good by itself,but by placing it next to the rest of them it looks out of place.

K.M.

It's OK. It is bold, got most of the main characters in it. Yoda looks lame. No droids. Do not see what the fuss is about Vader - he was big in ESB poster and he is big in this one; and ESB and ROTS are arguably Vader's most important films. Not the best poster by a long way, but not THAT bad.

I am so happy to see the latest Srtruzan! I agree with most of you on that the art seems edited. The composition just looks not like pure Struzan's. The fact that Obi Wan and Yoda do look a bit strange is because they are will be like that in the movie. Obi Wan for example will have a lot of make-up to make him look older. Drew just draws what he sees on photo references. Anyway I am looking forward to having hanging this in my room !:pukeface:

Note the purple highlights around Anakin's hair and the white flare on Anakins face and on the top of Padme's headpiece. The light sources for these are now totally obscured by Vader's helmet. He's covering something that used to be there! Look at the background behind the unrulier parts of Anakin's hair. They're orange, but it should be black, since Vader's helmet is there and not an actual background.

This is completly true. Not to mention the seemingly random lense flare on Vader's right side.

Justin - Putting things that point to this film sucking in one hand and crap in the other and seeing which piles up first.

I love it and I hate it. I love Struzan's style, but this one is not on. It's off. As an artist myself I'll only look up to another artist that I feel is really good, and Struzan is usually on that list, although some of his older posters do show that sometimes he misses the mark (but not often).

My first reaction was that it looks great, and I was pumped... then I walked away from the screen to take a leak and thought about how it could be positioned better. Then I come here and see others agree. As many of you have already pointed out...

1. Vader's helmet throws off the balance of the whole thing. Balance is important to the artist... this one doesn't really have it thanks mainly to the Vader head. I love it being in the poster... hate where it is. Something should be offsetting it, and I don't see it.

2. Sidious looks creepy as all hell (great), but it doesn't look like Sidious (bad). I've seen some awesome preview pictures of angry-demonic-looking Sidious that have me absolutely psyched, and I was somewhat startled to see that Struzan chose such a bad pic to paint from. That makes no sense to me. It's true... he looks more like the corroded elephantitis dude from Braveheart than 'The Empeor'.

3. Yoda looks a little too cartoony (my biggest problem with most CGI in general, and Yoda in EII). Maybe Drew will fix this. I hope it isn't a sign that the CGI crew didn't build upon the cartoony-action Yoda in EII. He looked more like a video game than a real-life creature.

4. The color and lighting seems to be off. The lightsabers clashing seem off.

5. I'm glad Dooku isn't included. Why should he be on there at all. He's the worst Sith in the saga, IMO.

6. Where the hell is General Grevious? He's definitely creepy-looking enough to warrant putting on there.

I do believe that this is an advance version and we'll see a different one before it ships and it's seen in theatres. Maybe this is just Lucas fn' with bootleggers. If it is, then I think that it's funny. However, if this is the finalized version, it may really be true that Lucas is meddling in everything. Sometimes it works for the good, but Williams fans know all too well ow disasterous his can be.

I must say. 98% of the photos (hmm... that means 49 from 50) look glorious, and worth making a film for. I didn't get that vibe from Attack of the Clones at all. That seemed like the most pointless film. Phantom Menace was okay - it had an aura of a finished, solid work of art, similar to Star Wars itself. But the poster is definitely the worst of the lot. You can tell Struzan's image got shrunk as well - the previous prequel posters have much larger character heads, and much large foreground images (Anakin, Jango are both more prominent than Obi and Ani fighting, combined), and the title of the film looks a bit smaller too. What's really evident is how the rectangular structure actually stops halfway down. But George can't really fiddle with the individual cinematographical photograph stills taken from the movie, no matter what order he puts them in or how he edits them. And those look great. So would have preferred the original poster art to confirm that excitement towards the artistic side of the film.

It is also remarkable that the new posters don't have any direct reference to a galactic setting, e.g. no space or stars.

It is also remarkable that the new posters don't have any direct reference to a galactic setting, e.g. no space or stars.

Probably, in Lucas' original idea, the first trilogy was called STAR, the second WARS. :P

Mirko - who think the poster is a bad Photoshop work, but if well done it fits perfectly with the other 2 of the prequel trilogy.

Confirmed... it IS two paintings combined!

"The original design did go through the normal incarnations. The finish is two paintings combined as I designed them. Someday the drawings and paintings will be seen but this is the poster and the design approved by Lucasfilm."

http://www.theforce.net/episode3/story/Dre...oster_90192.asp

-Erik-

Confirmed... it IS two paintings combined!

"The original design did go through the normal incarnations. The finish is two paintings combined as I designed them. Someday the drawings and paintings will be seen but this is the poster and the design approved by Lucasfilm."

http://www.theforce.net/episode3/story/Dre...oster_90192.asp

-Erik-

It shouldn't be surprising. This is the same philosophy applied to the DVD of ROTJ of combining totally disparate elements into a final half assed composite. And of course John's music in the movies.

Neil

Neil arent you ahsamed about saying Vader mask was a photo, now?

The helmet part touching obi wans hair looked neatly painted for me.

Luke, not happy the poster is not 'whole', but happy enough since they are two paintings...

all this prequel bashing is getting old.

The poster just came out. This bashing is brand new. Who can blame us when Lucas keeps giving us a fresh supply to bash?

Justin

Maybe this is a sign that Lucas took his edit-happy trigger finger out on the poster instead of the score

:(

Anyone see the cover of the book, which is a novelization of the screenplay? Or the cover of the Graphic Novel? I think they're both set to be released on 4/2/05...i tried posting the pics but it wouldn't attach right! Check em out on Amazon.com if you get the chance.

Tim

Neil arent you ahsamed about saying Vader mask was a photo, now?

I never said that. I said, "And Vader's helmet looks more like a publicity photo from Star Wars than a painted image." I never said it was a photo just that stylistically, as a whole it does not match the rest of the painted images. Thanks for trying to put words in my mouth!

Neil

Mmm... well... I'll wait to see the finished product. Whatever the case, Struzan's posters are usually top-notch. I like it, but it just looks like it needs a little more tinkering (and not from Lucas either, LOL!).

To be honest; I've accepted the poster for what it is right now. And, uh, I like it. I'm very excited to see the original paintings, but this poster reminds me of one of those "80's"-posters and I guess that is what Lucas was aiming for in the first place.

I'm very excited to see the original paintings, but this poster reminds me of one of those "80's"-posters and I guess that is what Lucas was aiming for in the first place.

You mean like these?

empire.jpg

indianajonesandthetempleofdoom3.jpg

Neil

Well, yes and no. You've taken some of the best material from that decade. There is one really weird Return Of The Jedi poster out there with the character-faces lined up and I think the Death Star exploding above it. It's a poster like THAT that reminds me of the Episode III poster. It wasn't photoshopped though... ROTFLMAO

EDIT: it's this one

http://www.evan.org/posters/rotj8.jpg

how does one add an image anyway....?

By the way; Neil THIS is the most beautiful Empire Strikes Back poster ever made!

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/3..._EMPIRESBRP.jpg

how does one add an image anyway....?

Try clicking on the Img button instead of the URL one, when putting a link... :P

Mirko - who thought that was obvious, but it looks like it's not. ROTFLMAO

I think it is a pity they did this, although I'm glad everything is Struzan's. But the DVmask asymmetrical on the poster is very ugly I think.