The Doctor Who Thread.....

Greg1138

35 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

The only one I never revisit is The Next Doctor.

Ah..  Indeed that wasn't too great.

I didn't know Moffat had anything to do with that one though.

Thought it was still RTD.

5 hours ago, Tallguy said:

I'll watch Voyage of the Damned and The Husbands of River Song as many times as you want to show me.

I like both, but, especially VOYAGE OF THE DAMNED. It's always good to see Geoffrey Palmer.

I want a Max Capricorn logo t-shirt.

4 hours ago, Pieter Boelen said:

It is RTD.

I don't mind that one, since it covers the same ground as "Night Terrors".

In the interests of clarification, the Xmas special that Bill Bailey is in that Doctor Qui has never rewatched is The Doctor, The Widow And The Wardrobe which was written by Moffat.

Bill Bailey maybe wouldn't have made a bad Doctor actually, now I come to think about it. 

Unpopular opinion, but if The Husbands Of River Song had maintained the knockabout 'Doctor Who does rom-coms' tone all the way through I'd like it more. Not keen on the tonal shift for the emotional stuff with River for the last 10 - 15 minutes or so.

Think my favourite Capaldi special is Doctor Mysterio, to be honest.  

11 hours ago, Pieter Boelen said:

Ah..  Indeed that wasn't too great.

I didn't know Moffat had anything to do with that one though.

I missed that we were just talking about Moffat.

4 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Unpopular opinion, but if The Husbands Of River Song had maintained the knockabout 'Doctor Who does rom-coms' tone all the way through I'd like it more. Not keen on the tonal shift for the emotional stuff with River for the last 10 - 15 minutes or so.

Yeah, I love the ending. That was when I knew Moffat was leaving. He tried to wrap up that thread before and I didn't buy it at all. But for reasons I still don't entirely understand this one worked for me. Probably just the performances.

Mind you, while I knew we wouldn't be seeing River Song through the rest of Doctor Who for all time, I always figured that The Doctor River was talking about in the Library was like the 47th Doctor. A Doctor so epic and mythical that he couldn't even be shown on TV.

Perhaps I should give The Doctor, The Widow etc another go. I just remember disliking it quite a bit at the time, although I also didn't care much for The Husbands of River Song the first time I saw it and now I'm quite in love with it. The mistaken-identity scenes are rather delicious, and Capaldi feasts on the dramatic irony - I love when he pretends to have his mind blown by the TARDIS. And maybe I'm softening a bit, but those last few emotional scenes get me every time.

10 hours ago, Tallguy said:

Yeah, I love the ending. That was when I knew Moffat was leaving. He tried to wrap up that thread before and I didn't buy it at all. But for reasons I still don't entirely understand this one worked for me. Probably just the performances.

Interestingly, at the time of writing it was actually going to be Moffat's final episode - Chibnall wasn't ready to take over yet and Moffat stayed on for another series. A fact that we're all eternally grateful for as otherwise we wouldn't have had the superlative highs of series 10 with Bill, Nardole, Missy and Twelve. What a treat they all were to watch.

I LOVE the Moffat era.

Even more than RTD.

What episode would you recommend to someone who likes hard sci-fi, but not silly stuff?

I'd like to convince a friend Doctor Who is actually good stuff.

But he's convinced it's not for him.

I honestly thought the same myself and it took until halfway into S3 before it clicked.

But now I love it.

4 hours ago, Pieter Boelen said:

I LOVE the Moffat era.

Even more than RTD.

What episode would you recommend to someone who likes hard sci-fi, but not silly stuff?

I'd like to convince a friend Doctor Who is actually good stuff.

But he's convinced it's not for him.

I honestly thought the same myself and it took until halfway into S3 before it clicked.

But now I love it.

I literally can’t think of a single hard sci-fi episode of new Doctor Who, it’s just not that kind of show

3 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Might the fact that 'Blink' won a Hugo award convince him?

I know! The Pirate Planet!

(It's the first episode I remember seeing. Worked for me.)

But seriously (kinda): What shows does the "hard sci fi" person watch? Because honestly there's not a lot out there.

I generally tell people to start with The Eleventh Hour. But that might not work for your friend. The Pilot (Capaldi) would be my second choice.

14 hours ago, Pieter Boelen said:

Classic Who is full of "hard sci-fi".

"The Silurians", "Inferno", and "The Caves Of Androzani", are about as hard as DW gets.

Try "42", and "The Impossible Planet"/"The Satan Pit". 

4 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

I know! The Pirate Planet!

"The Key To Time"?

Doesn't sound hard, to me.

21 hours ago, Tallguy said:

But seriously (kinda): What shows does the "hard sci fi" person watch? Because honestly there's not a lot out there.

We're enjoying The Orville.

On 01/07/2023 at 12:12 AM, Naïve Old Fart said:

Classic Who is full of "hard sci-fi".

"The Silurians", "Inferno", and "The Caves Of Androzani", are about as hard as DW gets.

Try "42", and "The Impossible Planet"/"The Satan Pit". 

"The Key To Time"?

Doesn't sound hard, to me.

I was going to suggest "Turn Left" and "The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit" but there's the caveat of the threat boiling down to absurd shit like a time altering beetle and literally Satan, so that didn't really fit the mold of hard sci-fi in my head

Yeah. That's getting into a definition of "hard sci-fi" that I'm never allowed to get away with. Hell, I insist that Star Wars is sci-fi. Screw you, George. We love you anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

It sounds like Ncuti Gatwa might be only doing 2 Series of Doctor Who unless I read wrong

“[Theatre] kept me warm and it held me all night, even if I was broke. But I’m planning on getting back to it next year, after I finish season two of Doctor Who,” Gatwa told Rolling Stone UK.

2 hours ago, TBO1711 said:

It sounds like Ncuti Gatwa might be only doing 2 Series of Doctor Who unless I read wrong

“[Theatre] kept me warm and it held me all night, even if I was broke. But I’m planning on getting back to it next year, after I finish season two of Doctor Who,” Gatwa told Rolling Stone UK.

I guess it's possible ... didn't RTD say he intended there to be no 'break' years this time round? 

What did RTD mean by no 'break' years this time round? I hope Ncuti Gatwa does 3 series of Doctor Who and that he's taking a break after Series 15 to do theatre then coming back to do Series 16 and specials like the previous other Doctors

21 hours ago, TBO1711 said:

What did RTD mean by no 'break' years this time round? I hope Ncuti Gatwa does 3 series of Doctor Who and that he's taking a break after Series 15 to do theatre then coming back to do Series 16 and specials like the previous other Doctors

Presumably he meant that during this second stint as showrunner he's doing, there won't be a year in which a DW series isn't shown. Which would indicate that either Gatwa is doing 2 series and then leaving to do theatre, or his 3rd series will already have been filmed by the time he goes to 'tread the boards' and it will be shown during that time.   

Does it really matter either way? Perhaps Gatwa decided at the start to just do two seasons, perhaps if a future theatre engagement emerged, so RTD could just write a two season story arc.

It may be tradition by now that Who actors do 3 series and then move on but it's a substantial commitment.

On 11/07/2023 at 7:58 PM, TBO1711 said:

That statement doesn't necessarily mean he's not doing any more series after the second, but just that he's going to start working on other things as well after that time. It could've been in his contract that he couldn't take any other roles until that time, or (more likely) is the fact that the new production will be a well-oiled machine by the end of 2024, and scheduling will be much easier.

The whole interview is well worth a read, even just for the gorgeous photo shoot they did with Ncuti and the outfits he's wearing. He touches on Doctor WhoBarbie, and Sex Education - the latter of which he's surprisingly frank about through some criticism. He has such an exciting and alluring energy about him and I can't wait to see him in action as the Doctor. Not to mention just how beautiful he is.

I saw a pic of his Barbie premiere outfit - I guess at that particular event, there was no point in being understated. But it wouldn't be very practical for travelling the universe.  

On 13/07/2023 at 9:11 AM, Docteur Qui said:

That statement doesn't necessarily mean he's not doing any more series after the second, but just that he's going to start working on other things as well after that time. It could've been in his contract that he couldn't take any other roles until that time, or (more likely) is the fact that the new production will be a well-oiled machine by the end of 2024, and scheduling will be much easier.

The whole interview is well worth a read, even just for the gorgeous photo shoot they did with Ncuti and the outfits he's wearing. He touches on Doctor WhoBarbie, and Sex Education - the latter of which he's surprisingly frank about through some criticism. He has such an exciting and alluring energy about him and I can't wait to see him in action as the Doctor. Not to mention just how beautiful he is.

Exactly this. Ncuti isn't just going to accidentally drop when his stint as The Doctor ends like that.

From what we know they're filming Season 14 and Season 15 back to back so that there's no gap in between, this probably means Ncuti will be full-on doing Doctor Who stuff for a good amount of time, then presumably there'll be a bit more leeway (Doctor-lite episodes for example) where he can pursue other acting things simultaneously

On another note, someone pieced together an early scene from The Star Beast from filming footage and it looks really good. RTD's character writing and little moments of humor are still very on point, felt nostalgic in more of a substantial way than a superficial one

• 2 weeks later...

I've probably said this before so i'm sorry for repeating if i am but i hope Murray Gold release the Series 10 soundtrack before the 60th Anniversary Specials and i hope he release the 60th Anniversary Specials soundtracks this year and then the Xmas Special with Series 14 soundtrack next year

8 hours ago, TBO1711 said:

I've probably said this before so i'm sorry for repeating if i am but i hope Murray Gold release the Series 10 soundtrack before the 60th Anniversary Specials and i hope he release the 60th Anniversary Specials soundtracks this year and then the Xmas Special with Series 14 soundtrack next year

"Elizabeth goes free!" "Yes, we know that one, anything else?" ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm hoping they can announce the recovery of more missing episodes for the 60th.

I've seen independent statements from Phil Morris and from Paul Vanezis that they both know of 4-6 eps each (not sure if these overlap) currently in the hands of private collectors that don't exist in the BBC archives. 

As it stands they know these episodes exist, but can't scan them because the collectors don't want them to be scanned, and they can't reveal too much info so as to not piss them off by accidentally revealing who they are.

30 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Are you allowed to say which stores these episodes are from?

A recovered EVIL OF THE DALEKS - especially the shootout on Skaro - would be priceless.

Oh I have no idea, as I said they haven't revealed much more than that they know missing episodes exist.

https://missingepisodes.proboards.com/thread/14305/independent-lost-doctor-who-episodes

image.png

image.png

image.png

On 13/8/2023 at 2:07 PM, TBO1711 said:

Could we at least get the Series 10 soundtrack before you do a music concert because i'm guessing Murray Gold might do music from Series 10

I'd be surprised if much material from Series 10 were presented outside of maybe Bill's Theme. As a concert dedicated to 60 years of Doctor Who, there isn't much space for everything, so only the most popular New Who music will be prioritised. So, I'd expect the Murray Gold New Who segments to be mostly tracks like I Am The Doctor, This is Gallifrey, Vale Decem, Doomsday and concert arrangements of character themes. 

At the very most, we'll probably get another performance of the concert arrangement of Bill's Theme from the finale countdown in 2017 alongside concert arrangements of the other companion themes (Rose, Martha, Donna, Amy, Clara, the 'Fam' theme, Dan, and maybe Ruby's Theme if we're lucky). Any other Series 10 material will probably be brief Master, Missy, and Cybermen material if there are dedicated sections of the concert for the Master and the Cybermen. 

• 3 weeks later...

Given the nature of much of Akinola's underscore, I think he scored a major winner with Thirteen. An evocative, memorable theme, and the same goes for his theme for Rosa.

Gold's had a nice break from the show and refreshed his creative flows so hopefully he's got something good in store for the next series.