The Doctor Who Thread.....

Greg1138

7 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Interesting that the TARDIS interior is 9th's/10th's "coral" design, and not 13th's.

Where do we see the interior other than the flashback?

That's always been the one thing they've kept exclusively for the episodes, haven't they? The new TARDIS? ("They" being Moffat and Chibnal I guess, since RTD never switched TARDISes.) I don't know if they showed the TARDIS in the run up to 2005.

And now RTD is part of "they". :)

Gotta say, the one thing I was totally unspoiled on was Sacha Dhawan's Master. I don't know if I dodged a bullet or if they actually kept a secret for once. I wish they'd been that tight lipped about World Enough and Time. My head would have exploded!

45 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

Gotta say, the one thing I was totally unspoiled on was Sacha Dhawan's Master.

That's the one where he revealed himself on the plane?

I didn't see that coming either, but (a) I do have precedent for missing some plot points/twists that others see coming miles off, and (b) my general Who knowledge is basically just what's in the show since 2005. I have no idea, for example, who the Celestial Toymaker is.

Plus half the exposition from Chibnall's era would've gone completely over my head because I wasn't paying attention half the time out of boredom.

That's kind of my point: I didn't see it coming because I wasn't looking for the Master. Because they didn't telegraph it with "See the amazing return of the Doctor's greatest foe!"

Of course saying that, I don't think they spoiled who Missy was either, actually. Although I know a lot of people (not me) figured it out.

5 hours ago, Tallguy said:

I don't know if they showed the TARDIS in the run up to 2005.

There are several pre-2005 trailers that feature Eccleston and Piper in the TARDIS.

4 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

That's the one where he revealed himself on the plane?

Yes, at the end of "Spyfall Pt. 1".

... half the exposition from Chibnall's era would've gone completely over my head because I wasn't paying attention half the time out of boredom.

:thumbup:

For me, the Chibnall, er... "era" simply didn't exist.

I sincerely hope that RTD retcons the fuck out of it.

I have no idea ... who the Celestial Toymaker is.

He is an immortal being who appeared in the Bill Hartnell story "The Celestial Toymaker".

He was played by Michael ("Alfred") Gough.

(not so) fun fact: Gough was set to reprise the role in a story in the proposed season 23, called "The Nightmare Fair", but the show was cancelled, and season 23 never got made. When DW returned, it was with "The Trial Of A Time Lord".

Yeah, @Brónach, it's among the - very - few Chibnall DWs that I like.

Thankfully, neither Henry, or Fry, lasted long.

I really like Sacha Dhawan, but that whole "Rasputin" thing, in "Power Of The Doctor" was just plain embarrassing. It tried to echo what The Master did, in "Last Of The Time Lords", but it didn't come off.

By the time you got to Rasputin you were either buying into Dhawan's take on The Master or you weren't. It was fine.

If they bring back The Master again I would like to see a more Delgado / Thrawn / (Thanos?) take on the character. I understand, that's crazy hard to write. He has to be smarter than everyone AND still be beatable. Meaning you have to write not one impossibly smart character but TWO.

Ha, yes ... there was a moment with 10 where he was told 'That's why we brought in an expert', he replies 'Great, who'd you get?' ... they look at him incredulously, and then the penny drops and he's all 'Oh right, ME! Yes, good'. 

The Doctor. Dumbest genius in the universe. 

The thing about Waters of Mars? I wanted him to pull it off. RTD was always writing towards "The Doctor will eventually become god." That's why finding out that River was only talking about 11 (and 12) was a little disappointing. She knew the Doctor that they could never make a show about. 

I was at a training day, last week, and one of the group exercises was to prioritize certain aspects in the delivery of our work.

We were told to look at a number of factors, and to "designate the least important".

I kept repeating the phrase in a Dalek-y voice.

I got some funny looks :lol:

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I was at a training day, last week, and one of the group exercises was to prioritize certain aspects in the delivery of our work.

We were told to look at a number of factors, and to "designate the least important".

I kept repeating the phrase in a Dalek-y voice.

I got some funny looks :lol:

Don't you live where people know what the hell a Dalek is?

My kids and I are already arguing over who gets what avatar on Disney+, assuming they introduce Who avatars. If they do classic the I get 5. Otherwise I'm taking 11.

When and if they release Doctor Who Avatars for Disney + I will probably choose either Fourteenth Doctor or Fifteenth Doctor for mine. I also hope they release a Fourteenth Doctor pop vinyl and a Fifteenth Doctor pop vinyl

15 hours ago, Docteur Qui said:

That's a good example of how words will always have more of an effect than even the most well-executed and directed forms of visual storytelling. The way that River's words make us feel about a version of the Doctor that we haven't seen is visceral and exciting. And I suppose, in a way, is very much the whole point of that episode, and much of Moffat's tenure. It's not so much what we see of Doctor that makes him so wonderful to his allies or so terrible to his enemies, but rather the way that stories about him are told in the universe of the show. The Pandorica alliance, the Church of the Silence, the Daleks in the Time War... they're all largely motivated by and act on the stories of the Doctor's victories that are passed down to them, or delivered by a sole witness to the events. Similarly, the version of the Doctor that River talks about doesn't actually exist; it's just how she sees him, and although we see many of the things she describes about him come to pass (like entire armies running away) nothing will ever compare to the reverent way with which she tells that story.

Anyway, I mainly wanted to talk about how wonderfully poetic this show used to be, and will be again soon. Words and phrases like "I saw you fly into the jaws of the Nightmare Child", or "the Could've Been King and his army of Meanwhiles and Neverweres"; they stimulate the imagination so brilliantly and paint the picture of a universe so vivid and interesting that no amount of money (Disney-levels or otherwise) could effectively depict. It's why in this age of dreary, flat and unimaginative CGI Marvel/DC/StarWars slop-fests that I think the old saying "show don't tell" should actually be "tell well rather than show poorly"

The mythological (for want of a better phrase) aspect of the Doctor helps add to the mystery ... he's meant to be at least a bit enigmatic and unknowable, after all. The show title was originally intended as a question, apparently (something the show recently has had a little meta fun with, along with the notion that it's actually the Doctor's name (as it pretty much was until the Davison era, which is when it changed to 'The Doctor' in the end credits) ). 

Given some recent appalling storylines, I'd rather see stories which try, and perhaps not entirely succeed, but at least try, to examine the moral dilemmas the Doctor faces, such as the one in Waters, and off the top of my head, the ones in the Vesuvius episode and Beast Below. All this crap about things getting personal for the Doctor or just defeating some generic alien get a bit boring.

Or if the showrunner comes up with a 'perfect' foe, such as the weeping angels. If you manage to do that, I'll take an average story now and again.

44 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I think they were used well in more than one (if not entirely logically... Statue of Liberty being an angel... hmm) but certainly by Chibnall's village episode, it was taken too far.

Hot take: Chibnall's episode was the first time since Blink that I was interested in the angels themselves rather than Mofatt's "Oh, well HERE is a clever new interpretation of the rules laid down in Blink." As much as I enjoy the second angels episode (the crashed spaceship thing) the angels part of it was garbage. And when they came back (for the Ponds' last episode no less) it was almost stiflingly boring. (Also: OH NO! I CAN NEVER travel to 1950's New York! Well, how about 1950's Los Angeles? Shanghai? 1960's New York? You've left Amy on her own for decades before! This is what happens when you let the Doctor know how to fly the TARDIS.)

The minor cameo in Time of the Doctor was not bad and a nice note to go out on.

Here's a Google Translation of the part aboout the season 10 soundtrack which is why I visit this thread. So he's thinking of releasing it for free somehow with the new season's music, but it doesn't sound certain yet.

Getting more serious, he explains that one of the reasons why he has lost the enthusiasm for releasing the soundtracks he composes was something that happened with the 9th Season soundtrack. “The files were uploaded to my agent's website and they were stolen,” he clarifies. “And the people were very happy that they had been robbed. Since then I believe that the home of music is in the series and on the screen.” 

Also, as Natalie Holt points out next to him, it takes them a long time to arrange the music for publication, it doesn't go directly from the screen to the disk or to 
Spotify , as many people believe. It took her, for example, three weeks to have anything publishable for the first season of Loki . “Instead of devoting time to that, I dedicate it to my next project,” Gold concludes.

However, he assures that he has sometimes considered releasing the music from Season 10 in an unorthodox way. “I want to get it for free along with the next season I do. Which is it?" The 14th, I clarify. “Well, it will be free with Season 14.” It will happen? No idea, but you read it here first.

I'm personally confused by his problem with the soundtrack being uploaded to his agent and being 'stolen'. Does that mean the score leaked early? (I can't remember that far back).

And 'stolen' could mean someone found the files on his agent's site (in which case, where's your security?) or that they just ripped some streaming tracks (in which case, welcome to the internet). I empathise that he doesn't want his work leaked or presented improperly, but on face value it sounds like he's blaming dedicated fans for his agent not knowing what they're doing on their site.

Slightly different translation of the pertinent part:

The files were uploaded on my agent's website and they were stolen," he explains. "And people were overjoyed that they'd been stolen. 

Overjoyed about the 'stolen' part, or just happy that they had gotten the music? I largely suspect the latter.

If that incident results in him not wanting to do huge 4-CD releases, and instead putting together series 3/4 style suite albums, I'd be all for it. I'm very Thor-like with Who - I want the best bits.

Also available on the iPlayer from tomorrow is 'Tales Of The Tardis'. More details here - 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/2023/doctor-who-the-whoniverse-tales-of-the-tardis

And 3 'lost' adventures with the First and Second Doctors will be on BBC Sounds, also from tomorrow - 

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/sci-fi/doctor-who-missing-episodes-bbc-sounds-newsupdate/

4 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Also available on the iPlayer from tomorrow is 'Tales Of The Tardis'. More details here - 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/2023/doctor-who-the-whoniverse-tales-of-the-tardis

And 3 'lost' adventures with the First and Second Doctors will be on BBC Sounds, also from tomorrow - 

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/sci-fi/doctor-who-missing-episodes-bbc-sounds-newsupdate/

This new show sounds interesting... be great to see the classic Doctors again, they were a real treat in Jodie Whittaker's final episode (which I actually thought was a significant improvement on the prior few and really enjoyable for the most part). I wonder if anyone has ever asked Sean Pertwee to take over from his father. There's a pic of him dressed as the Third Doctor and he looks great, and clearly seems happy to get into the role somewhat.

I would have loved to have seen him do it for one of those Children In Need 'shorts' with Capaldi ... 'White bouffant hair and a red-lined coat, eh? VERY original!' etc. 

But I think he's said he'll never do it 'officially'. 

14 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

afaik, Richard Franklin and John Levene are still alive.

True. 

So apparently here in the States we will have NuNuWho on Disney+, OldNuWho on Max, and OldOldWho on Britbox. EDIT: Oh and some of these specials and spinoffs no place.

Damn it.