The Doctor Who Thread.....

Greg1138

Well I finally got my copy of Voyage of the Damned, and jolly good fun it was too. I always feel a little let-down by the Christmas episodes as they have to fit so much action and excitement into a relatively short time, bangs, flashes, Christmas spirit, and Doctor-ish heroics, enough in fact to tide us poor Who-starved fans over until March. This year's was no exception. I loved the storyline (a nice homage to Robots of Death), and the cast was superb. However, I really wish RTD would hold back a little next time, maybe only pull the stops halfway out! I'd love to have a really creepy Christmas Who story which delivers chills as opposed to action. A festive ghost story would be fantastic. The most perfect Who Christmas episode so far was The Unquiet Dead in my humble opinion. And that one was broadcast in April? LOL.

So what was the deal with Astrid being an anagram of TARDIS then? Will we be seeing her etherial dots floating about in some future episode? It really seemed as if there was some big reveal waiting to happen at the end, but it never came. (I somehow doubt that Kylie is bigger on the inside though... :) )

I loved the storyline (a nice homage to Robots of Death)

"You know, you're the classic example of the inverse ratio between the size of the mouth and the size of the brain." :)

However, I really wish RTD would hold back a little next time, maybe only pull the stops halfway out! I'd love to have a really creepy Christmas Who story which delivers chills as opposed to action. A festive ghost story would be fantastic. The most perfect Who Christmas episode so far was The Unquiet Dead in my humble opinion. And that one was broadcast in April? LOL.

Well, Runaway Bride was a bit smaller scale. I'm sure RTD feels he has to put the all the "whiz-bang" in he can since it's a special. And Unquiet Dead, yeah, that is a Christmas ep, it's hard to remember that since it's just a regular Series 1 episode. But I still feel The Christmas Invasion will never, ever be challenged as the best of the lot.

So what was the deal with Astrid being an anagram of TARDIS then? Will we be seeing her etherial dots floating about in some future episode? It really seemed as if there was some big reveal waiting to happen at the end, but it never came. (I somehow doubt that Kylie is bigger on the inside though... ;) )

Yes, that's what I was waiting for too. Still, I'm glad all those rumors turned out to be wrong. I've forced myself to stop looking at them, I was reading too much around the time I wrote those earlier posts. At this point final episode titles are all I want to see.

I know what you mean. That's pretty much how I feel about Indy 4. I'll buy the CD as soon as it comes out. I'll listen through it. But I'm not going to look at the track titles!

There's a danger of spoilerage there, too, isn't there? If, for example, in the midst of a track, a musical theme from a previous film suddenly appears...? Not saying I know anything particular myself, just thinking out loud, as it were.

I cannot wait for this score! ;)

Cheers!

--Kevin

Wow, someone other than me, James, and Greg in here regularly. The echo chamber might become a conversation! :D

I'm just curious, magical, all three of us were fans of classic Who years before the new series started. Were you also or is the new series all you've seen?

I was not completely fresh to Who when I started. I'd seen a lot of episodes here and there growing up. I remember being scared by some of the villains on more than one occasion, though oddly enough was never even slightly disturbed by the Daleks!

In any case, the new series came on and I watched and enjoyed a few episodes here and there. I didn't really get into it though until series two started. More accurately, the Christmas special that year, and David Tennant's first full episode. I was invited to watch it with some new friends I'd made and then it became a regular viewing. Obsession soon followed.

I was able to appreciate a lot of the nostalgia in the new series, from the old villains returning to Sarah-Jane and K-9's fun ep, but I truly am a Next-Generation Who fan.

The Daleks never scared me too much either. I was more frightened by the monsters based on mutation of the human shape. The Krynoid, Morbius, the Zygons, Sontarans etc etc. The Daleks did, however, always fill me with excitement and awe. The first Dalek story I saw as a child was Death to the Daleks, followed the next year by Genesis... Every time the Daleks appeared I got chills of excitement. I was in awe of them, but never truly horrified. The one cliffhanger in Genesis that DID scare the crap out of me was when the Doctor staggers out of the incubation chamber with a developing Dalek embryo throttling him. Now THAT gave me nightmares!

hey everyone, has anyone else noticed the use of the CYBERMEN theme from Series Two in Series Three?

I mean when the Toclofane swoop back down to earth and say "PROTECT THE PARADOX!"

go to track 22 (Martha's Quest) and look at 43 seconds to 46 seconds, thats the connection im talking about

Hmm, showing the similarity between the Toclofane and the Cybermen. Both are cyborg humans bent on destruction. Well spotted!

thanks, i thought it mite mean a kinda weird connection between them :S lol

No the Master's music was superb, especially the "psychotic" version with the swirling strings under the drumbeat theme. But the series as a whole was weaker than the first two. But I enjoyed the score for VotD, so hopefully he'll be fully back on track this year.

No the Master's music was superb, especially the "psychotic" version with the swirling strings under the drumbeat theme. But the series as a whole was weaker than the first two. But I enjoyed the score for VotD, so hopefully he'll be fully back on track this year.

well i cant wait to hear more Murray Gold music, just as much as i catn wait to see series 4! :D

I agree that on the whole, series 3 was weaker than the first two, music-wise, but that doesn't stop the CD having some amazing highlights - the motorway chase from Runaway Bride, Boe's theme with choir, some really nice material from the Family of Blood 2-parter, and most of the major music from the finale. Plus, I Unusually like the two songs, and of course the beautiful rendition of Abide With Me.

A lot of weaker spots on the CD though, and there are two tracks I didn't even rip.#

I still think that given the right film, Gold could do wonders.

I agree that on the whole, series 3 was weaker than the first two, music-wise, but that doesn't stop the CD having some amazing highlights - the motorway chase from Runaway Bride, Boe's theme with choir, some really nice material from the Family of Blood 2-parter, and most of the major music from the finale. Plus, I Unusually like the two songs, and of course the beautiful rendition of Abide With Me.

A lot of weaker spots on the CD though, and there are two tracks I didn't even rip.#

I still think that given the right film, Gold could do wonders.

amen to that!

How about a quick poll? Favourite stories from each season:

Season 1:

1: The Unquiet Dead

2: The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances

3: Dalek

Season 2:

1: The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit

2: The Girl in the Fireplace

3: School Reunion

Season 3:

1: Blink

2: The Lazarus Experiment

3: Human Nature/Family of Blood

What about you guys? Top three stories from each season (in descending order).

Hmmm. I could change my mind tomorrow, at least on the order, but:

Series 1:

1. The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances

2. Bad Wolf/The Parting of the Ways

3. Dalek

Series 2:

1. Army of Ghosts/Doomsday

2. School Reunion

3. The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit

Series 3:

1. Utopia/The Sound of Drums/Last of the Time Lords (the last 10 minutes of Utopia being the best of the lot)

2. Human Nature/The Family of Blood

3. Blink

I see the season finales are a favourite with you John. While I've always enjoyed them, only the season 1 finale (Bad Wolf/Parting of the Ways) came close to being considered in my top 3.

They are, in fact I came really close to putting the S1 finale on top too. They've done a great job of making the finales feel special rather than forced. The end of Doomsday in particular is possibly the still the new series' emotional high point to date (I'm a big fan of the 10th Doctor/Rose relationship so I'm a bit biased there), though the Master dying in the Doctor's arms and Tennant's performance in that scene give it a run for it's money. And it doesn't hurt that the finales have had tons of Daleks, Cybermen, and the Master. :D

How about a little more for the poll, an honorable mention episode and worst episode:

Series 1:

Honorable mention: The End of the World

Worst ep: Aliens of London/World War III (worst being a relative term here, there's still a lot in there that I enjoy)

Series 2:

Honorable mention: The Girl in the Fireplace

Worst ep: Tie- Love and Monsters & Fear Her (the two weakest eps of the new series to date)

Series 3:

Honorable mention: The Shakespeare Code

Worst ep: The Lazarus Experiment (Sorry James, other than the Saxon teasing I really didn't enjoy this one)

So Greg, without giving too much away for those of us who have to wait another week or two, how was the Torchwood season 2 opener?

Runners up for each season, I really couldn't say as there are far too many strong episodes. Weakest episodes of each season, here goes:

Season 1: Boom Town (the silly opening in the Tardis makes me cringe, and did we REALLY need another Slitheen episode?)

Season 2: Fear Her (I really wanted a scary story after the comical Love and Monsters. The title "Fear Her" promised so much, but the episode was very weak IMO. Love and Monsters leaves a sour taste in the mouth thanks to the very silly "Absorbalov" scenes at the end, but the first 35 minutes is so entertaining and so well done that I can't hate this episode.)

Season 3: Although season 3 had fewer "superb" episodes than seasons 1 and 2, it also didn't have any real clunkers. Season 3 was probably my least favourite overall, but it's very hard to pick least favourite episodes. I think I'll have to say Smith and Jones, and Daleks in Manhatten/Evolution of the Daleks were my least favourite episodes. Smith and Jones just didn't grab me, and I couldn't stand the awful singer and the pig people in the daleks story.

Love and Monsters leaves a sour taste in the mouth thanks to the very silly "Absorbalov" scenes at the end, but the first 35 minutes is so entertaining and so well done that I can't hate this episode.)

I actually agree with you there, the very weak ending really overshadows some good stuff in the first half: red bucket, blue bucket is fun (and the Scooby-Doo corridor gag even works since we're seeing it all from Elton's point of view), Elton is an engaging charater at first, and there's some classic Jackie stuff ("I'm flashing you my knickers!"). And I do like the Clom joke, and don't forget about the first fleeting Saxon reference. <_<

Season 3: Although season 3 had fewer "superb" episodes than seasons 1 and 2, it also didn't have any real clunkers. Season 3 was probably my least favourite overall, but it's very hard to pick least favourite episodes. I think I'll have to say Smith and Jones, and Daleks in Manhatten/Evolution of the Daleks were my least favourite episodes. Smith and Jones just didn't grab me, and I couldn't stand the awful singer and the pig people in the daleks story.

Yes, Series 3 was like Series 1: very consistent, while Series 2 had some superb highs but also some very low lows. Put Tooth and Claw and The Idiot's Lantern in with the previously mentioned two and you've probably got the four weakest eps so far right there.

As far as Daleks in Manhatten goes, I agree to an extent. The whole New York setting and characters were not very engaging, but I really enjoy the story once you strip that fluff away and get down to the fundamental point: what does it mean to be a Dalek? It's very philisophical, and one of the best studies of Dalek psychology ever done, new or classic series.

I have neglected this thread for too long, my friends!! Torchwood Season 2 opener was a corker.....the first 2 minutes are hysterical, and this broadens out and we find a new Time Agent by the name of Captain John (James Marsters).....it would be no spoiler to say that within about 5 minutes Captain's Jack and John are snogging.....and then have a good old-fashioned punch up and wreck a bar.....great fun! Episode does ask a few questions and deals with Jack's absence and the way it affected the team in a fun way, but with serious moments.....as the episode pans out there are far more questions asked and we get a glimpse of what could well be the series "arc" story...this I will not give away since I could, of course, be wrong!

UK viewers can watch the episode (in pretty shoddy quality - it has to be said), for another couple of days via the BBC's iPlayer service.

My top 3 episodes from each Who season:

First Season

The Empty Child 2-parter

Dalek

Bad Wolf/Parting of the Ways

Second Season

Impossible Planet/Satan Pit

Army of Ghosts/Doomsday

School Reunion

Honourable mention to Fear Her - a vastly underrated episode.

Third Season

Utopia

Blink

So there! :)

Series 1 of Torchwood finally comes out on DVD over here on Tuesday so I'm finally going to get to watch it, in fact it's the #1 thing I'm asking for my birthday. It's been shown on BBC America, but that's only available on the digital cable package here.

One small question on Series 2 Greg, about James Marsters. I'm just curious if he's putting on a Spike-style British accent or if he's playing it American. His accent is so flawless I thought for years that he was British.

One small question on Series 2 Greg, about James Marsters. I'm just curious if he's putting on a Spike-style British accent or if he's playing it American. His accent is so flawless I thought for years that he was British.

You weren't the only one.......

In Torchwood he is very much back in to Brit mode, though has evidently been watching far too many episodes of "Sharpe" to brush up his accent......

Hmm. Not sure what I thought of Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. It was very entertaining, but lacked a certain something. I wasn't all that convinced by Captain John to be honest. I found him a little annoying. Maybe what with him AND Captain Jack there was too much ego onscreen for me to wholly enjoy. Although it can't just be that because I love the interplay between Captain Jack and The Doctor, and that takes ego to a whole new level! Oh well. The final scene was VERY interesting. I'm sure we'll find out more as the series progresses.

Maybe my slight disappointment with the episode is in part due to the fact that I'm finally watching the (superior) "Life On Mars" (which I just bought on DVD last week). It's absolutely amazing! John Simm is terrific, and the whole show is so well written/paced/acted/directed that I can see this becoming one of my favourite shows of all time if the quality remains this strong throughout (I've just watched episode 4 of season 1).

Just watched "Army of Ghosts" on UKTV last night. Man, that was epic! Can't wait for "Doomsday" next week.

Oh, and

Rose just has to spoil it all for me at the beginning of the episode by stating "this is the story where I die". Damn your big spoiler mouth, Rose!

Oh, and

Rose just has to spoil it all for me at the beginning of the episode by stating "this is the story where I die". Damn your big spoiler mouth, Rose!

:)

You ain't seen nothing yet. Doomsday is...indescribable.

Oh, Doomsday. It was amazing. I remember being stunned while watching that and Army.

Unfortunately it seems the writers keep trying to have bigger and bigger episodes, judging from the (still excellent) third season. It all ends up being too loud, busy and visually overloading. The highlight of season 3 was the Mr Smith two-parter. It wasn't big and exciting, it was emotional and gripping.

Oh, and

:) You ain't seen nothing yet. Doomsday is...indescribable.

What that man said.....

Oh, Doomsday. It was amazing. I remember being stunned while watching that and Army.

Unfortunately it seems the writers keep trying to have bigger and bigger episodes, judging from the (still excellent) third season. It all ends up being too loud, busy and visually overloading. The highlight of season 3 was the Mr Smith two-parter. It wasn't big and exciting, it was emotional and gripping.

I agree to some extent. That sort of thing is all very well for the Christmas specials, but I like the darker, more horror-style approach for the regular episodes. Impossible Planet, and Unquiet Dead are still pretty much my favourites so far.

Maybe my slight disappointment with the episode is in part due to the fact that I'm finally watching the (superior) "Life On Mars" (which I just bought on DVD last week). It's absolutely amazing! John Simm is terrific, and the whole show is so well written/paced/acted/directed that I can see this becoming one of my favourite shows of all time if the quality remains this strong throughout (I've just watched episode 4 of season 1).

You may or may not be aware that a sequel series to Life on Mars hits our screens in the UK very soon!!

Indeed. I..simply..cannnooot wait for Ashes to Ashes. My brother and I may have something more to identify with this one because it's set only a year before he was born, and things didn't change that fast.

And yes, the quality of LoM is consistent and the final payoff at the end of series 2 is stunning. A little risky by the writers, but you'll get the answer to the question Sam asks over the title sequence, one way or another.

Btw pixie - if you like the score in the final episode, give me a buzz - I've extracted some 40 mins of various bits of music from the first few and last episodes, including the amazing scene where 'something' happens, near the end (you'll know it, trust me).

In Torchwood he is very much back in to Brit mode, though has evidently been watching far too many episodes of "Sharpe" to brush up his accent......

He's American? Damn, I must watch some of that episode again - he sounded so English.

Then again, I didn't find out David Tennant is Scottish until some episodes in, and I can now occasionally hear his real accent 'peeking through' at times.

Edit - Yep, I hear it now, hehehe.

UK viewers can watch the episode (in pretty shoddy quality - it has to be said), for another couple of days via the BBC's iPlayer service.

If you use that, yes. But you can get a full 720p HD version if you know where to look - an opportunity the BBC is missing out on. In fact, I don't watch it when it's on - I purposely wait until the next day when a HD capture is up. I don't consider anything wrong with this as I'm paying for it through the license.

He's American? Damn, I must watch some of that episode again - he sounded so English.

I didn't realize Marsters wasn't English until I heard him speaking on the docs on the Buffy DVDs. Actually the same goes for Alexis Denisof (Wesley from S3 of Buffy and nearly all of Angel), he's got a pretty flawless accent down too. Made me start wondering about Anthony Stewart Head... ;)

BTW, I never mentioned that I'm pretty much all caught up on Torchwood now. As expected I got Series 1 for my birthday, and honestly I was a tad...disappointed. I mean, it was good, but it wasn't great. The first two episodes were excellent, but then there was a serious drop off for 3 or 4 eps. We're talking serious crud here. The fairy episode especially was a total mess, I still have no idea what was going on. The second half got better, but the lack of consistency in the character arcs (for instance, Gwen and Owen are sleeping together, she's cheating on her boyfriend, and in the end it hardly mattered) and a Lost-style more questions than answers about Jack's past bugged me. I'm not sure how well the finale delivered either, a lot of it felt awful forced, and I sure hope the bad guy from that is coming back because there's a lot left to be explained there. And I have to mention this, but I really really don't want to start anything here, it's just how I felt, as a heterosexual guy it just got a bit too...gay. You know which ep I'm thinking of in particular.

However, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang was an overall improvement. It had more good laugh lines than the whole previous year, Capt. Hart was nicely set up, and you can count on James Marsters to liven up any show, he is an excellent actor. That's as far as I've gotten.

I just found a 'suite' of various interviews with Marsters, and actually his real accent isn't that strong.

Don't remember much of the first series of Torchwood, it was such a long time ago over here, but there certainly were a number of fairly weak episodes, one of which I think my brother caught a few minutes of, and hence decided not to bother with the show.

Oh, and fairy episode? Remind me...

I just found a 'suite' of various interviews with Marsters, and actually his real accent isn't that strong.

All those years playing Spike watered it down. ;)

Oh, and fairy episode? Remind me...

Let's see, checking the ep guide that would be 105- Small Worlds. With the Creatures from the Dawn of Time TM protecting that little girl.

And I just saw a little bad news: Phil Collinson is leaving Doctor Who after the completion of Series 4 to take over as Head of Drama for BBC Manchester. So that leaves just RTD after this year from the original team. For how long?

We just watched episode 3 of season 2 of Life on Mars, and I must say it just keeps getting better. I am amazed I haven't seen this earlier! As soon as we finish season 2 I'll be in touch, Greg! We're watching one or two episodes a night at the moment so it shouldn't be too long.

Doomsday is even better IMO as a fan of the classic series, the Daleks and Cybermen going toe to toe was the basis for many a fan's wet dream for years.

And the stuff with Rose is good, too.

Doomsday is even better IMO as a fan of the classic series, the Daleks and Cybermen going toe to toe was the basis for many a fan's wet dream for years.

As a new fan, I can't appreciate that nearly as much.

:P

:baaa:

Of course I'm not trying to sound snobby, nothing wrong with being a "new fan". Who's better now than it's ever been in my opinion, and I've seen it all.

Sensational news for all us US-based fans: the Sci-Fi Channel has worked out a deal with the BBC to begin broadcasting Series 4 in April! Finally, virtually simultaneous airings in the UK and US. I guess we got one good thing out of the writer's strike.