The Doctor Who Thread.....

Greg1138

if you need persuading, watch the last 5 minutes of "The Fires of Pompeii" - if that doesn't change your mind, probably nothing will.

Or all of Turn Left.

Hehe - yeah, if you want to be confused to buggery :lol:

Just a quick soundbite about some DVD's hitting our shelves in the UK later this year....we are to see releases of The Keys of Marinus, The Twin Dilemma, Delta And The Bannermen and (Huzzah!!) The Black Guardian Trilogy will be hitting a WHSmiths near me before the end of the year.

Rose

Good way to restart a dead tv series.

Billie piper is excellent as Rose Tyler and Eccleston has a firm grasp on his elusive character. switching swiftly and effortlessly from drama to comedy.

Love the moving rubbish bin!

Perhaps not much depth in this episode, but there's plenty of room to grow, and it leaves you wanting to see more.

The final big action scene under the London Eye is a tad clunky though.

The End Of The World.

Very effective follow up, dropping Rose straight into the weirdness of the Doctor Who universe.

The Doctor loosens up a bit, we learn about a Time war and that he's the last of his kind

Zoë Wannager is great as the supposedly last human. The treewomen had...nice twigs.

Special effects look nice, if not very realistic.

Music is OK, but the sampled orchestra makes it sound less then it is.

I love The End of the World. I remember when I saw it for the first time and thinking that it had captured that classic Who feel perfectly. It's also one of my favorite early scores from Murray Gold, the first series he was very off and on.

I'm more interested in The War Games, and Frontier In Space/Planet of the Daleks which are supposed to be coming out this year too! :blink:

I think those two are imminent, with the others I mentioned to follow in the following months.

EDIT - well, according to Amazon, we are getting:

The War Games - July 6th

Dalek War Box Set (Frontier/Planet) - can't find any confirmed date - only that it's this year.

Delta and the Bannermen - June 22nd

Keys of Marinus - Sept 22nd

Twin Dilemma - 7th Sept

Black Guardian Trilogy - 10th August

The summer looks booked up for Who releases, so I'm gonna guess your much-awaited Dalek box set turns up in October.

I'm working my way through my old VHS's of The Key To Time at the moment - I need those DVD's badly!!

The Unquiet Dead

Nice "middle of the road" episode. Decent performances, and a few nice and spooky scenes.

Aliens of London/World War Three

Rose Returns to London and finds she has a lot to answer for. While an Alien ship with a pig in it crashes through Bin Ben. The first 2 parter and it's a doozy.

Good script, some interesting characters (I expecially like Harriet Jones, MP for Flydale North).

The Slytheen make good and interesting villians, even if both their real appearance and their method of hiding in human bodies is stolen straight from Men In Black.

Even ditzy Jackie is moving is this one.

Dalek

The first reveal of the menacing trash can, and the way the Doctor responds to him, first with mortal fear, then with ridicule and hatred are fantastic. The episode does a great job in presenting this one unwieldy looking pepperpot as a real unstoppable menace. The Doctor's character and his relationship with Rose deepens. A delightfull, thrilling romp, with a very emotional finish.

Stupid to reveal so much in the title though.

The Long Game

Again on a Space Station in future earth???

Nice, I liked Simon Pegg's sleazy character. Rose seems terribly trusting giving the TARDIS key to this boy she hardly knows.

Aliens of London/World War Three

Rose Returns to London and finds she has a lot to answer for. While an Alien ship with a pig in it crashes through Bin Ben. The first 2 parter and it's a doozy.

Good script, some interesting characters (I expecially like Harriet Jones, MP for Flydale North).

The Slytheen make good and interesting villians, even if both their real appearance and their method of hiding in human bodies is stolen straight from Men In Black.

Even ditzy Jackie is moving is this one.

Finally, someone other than me who enjoys this story. Yeah, the Slitheen have problems, but it's still a fun romp. Harriet Jones gets a great arc from here to her final appearance.

Dalek

The first reveal of the menacing trash can, and the way the Doctor responds to him, first with mortal fear, then with ridicule and hatred are fantastic.

One of new Who's greatest scenes. The rest leaves me a bit lukewarm though, like there's something missing. Yeah, the Daleks are firmly reestablished as a badass force to be reckoned with, but the rest feels...off. There's just something about Van Statten and the other human characters that bug me. I love the Cyberman head at the start. A great bit for us longtime fans, and far from the last.

Dalek

The first reveal of the menacing trash can, and the way the Doctor responds to him, first with mortal fear, then with ridicule and hatred are fantastic. The episode does a great job in presenting this one unwieldy looking pepperpot as a real unstoppable menace. The Doctor's character and his relationship with Rose deepens. A delightfull, thrilling romp, with a very emotional finish.

Stupid to reveal so much in the title though.

The title of the episode got a fair bit of criticism at the time, too...and - I have to admit - I tend to agree. The torture scene got some tongues wagging too.

The episode did however prompt one of the best reviews I have read in ages - courtesty of some crappy tabloid - "for 30 pant-shittingly wonderful minutes, BBC1's new Doctor Who was the best thing on telly. Ever.".

Amen to that.

Finally, someone other than me who enjoys this story. Yeah, the Slitheen have problems, but it's still a fun romp. Harriet Jones gets a great arc from here to her final appearance.

I'm a 99% Doctor Who novice, so I know nothing about the 144 seasons that went before the 2005 re-start.

I just liked the story, liked the style of the writing and filming, liked the acting, liked the concept.

One of new Who's greatest scenes. The rest leaves me a bit lukewarm though, like there's something missing. Yeah, the Daleks are firmly reestablished as a badass force to be reckoned with, but the rest feels...off. There's just something about Van Statten and the other human characters that bug me. I love the Cyberman head at the start. A great bit for us longtime fans, and far from the last.

Van Statten is OK, if a bit cartoonish. I agree the scenes were Rose or The Doctor interact with the Dalek are bloody brilliant, and the rest is just good.

The title of the episode got a fair bit of criticism at the time, too...and - I have to admit - I tend to agree. The torture scene got some tongues wagging too.

Purely a business descision I'm sure. A title like that guarantees viewers.

It's why Star Trek TNG once named an episode Sarek. :rolleyes:

BTW.

How is the 1996 movie regarded, is it canon, or not?

How is the 1996 movie regarded, is it canon, or not?

Hoo boy, that is a fun question. It's one of those yes and no deals.

Yes in the fact that McGann is the official 8th Doctor, no in the fact that the crappy half human concept is fortunately being ignored.

The Master is more wishy washy, it's not really clear. He does mention being ressurected by the Time Lords for the war in the new series, but nothing more specific. But it was a huge character point with him in the original series that he was out of regenerations and was trying to find ways to stay alive, so it might be referring to that.

So the character of Doctor 8 is cannon, but the situations ans circumstances of the 1996 TV film are a point of contention?

Is it not so that most fans would like to disregard the TV film all together, but can't because of the strenth of McGann's performance?

Well I'll watch it anyway?

I'd call that an accurate assesment. :rolleyes:

McGann is certainly very good, until Eccleston it was the strongest debut performance since Hartnell. And it's certainly worth a viewing, I'd like to have it on DVD but because of the tangled web of rights issues with all the companies involved in its production it'll probably never be released in the US.

For me the 1996 movie works best if you assume that the Doctor's confirmation that he's half-human is a result of his mind being a bit confused after the regeneration. Let's face it, it's rare for a Doctor to be fighting fit immediately after regenerating. It's a really fun episode, but ultimately it just doesn't feel like Dr Who. The US setting for one thing. Doctor Who has always worked best when the threat was less massive (global) and more personal (local). Jon Pertwee's comment about finding a yeti on your loo in Tooting Beck is very apt. Somehow that can be far more exciting than seeing cop-chases around major cities. The style seems a little too "polished", and not quirky enough for Dr Who. Although I was devestated at the time that the pilot didn't yield a full series, with the benefit of hindsight it was the best thing. RTD's restart in 2005 would almost certainly never have happened had the US production been more successful, and that doesn't bare thinking about!

RTD's restart in 2005 would almost certainly never have happened had the US production been more successful, and that doesn't bare thinking about!

Aye - there's the rub!

For me the 1996 movie is a mixture of triumphs and disasters....there's no middle ground:-

Paul McGann - Absolute Triumph

Sylvester McCoy's performance, look and the whole regeneration sequence - Triumph

Casting of Eric Roberts - Triumph

Asking Eric Roberts to play The Master like a Pantomime Villain - Disaster (though, to be fair, there were some good moments)

The Tardis interior and exterior - Triumph (apart from the moment when the lip at the base of the door miraculously disappears to let the biker in!!)

The whole half-human rubbish - Disaster (though from what we know of the casting of one of the upcoming specials, this one might be up for discussion....possibly.....maybe.....?)

The whole planet reaching midnight at the exact same second - D'OH!!!! Disaster

The Eye of Harmony suddenly appearing in the Tardis.....wtf??....Disaster

Grace - Triumph

Snogging Grace - Disaster (well, not that I'm saying that snogging her would be a disaster, just that it didn't work in this movie....erm....oh dear)

Musical Score - Varies Wildly between Disaster and Triumph

Not crediting Ron Grainer - Disaster

Using THAT Doctor Who logo - Triumph

Mentioning Skaro - Triumph

Having Daleks on Helium - Disaster

And so on and so on.....

RTD's restart in 2005 would almost certainly never have happened had the US production been more successful, and that doesn't bare thinking about!

Aye - there's the rub!

For me the 1996 movie is a mixture of triumphs and disasters....there's no middle ground:-

Paul McGann - Absolute Triumph

Sylvester McCoy's performance, look and the whole regeneration sequence - Triumph

Casting of Eric Roberts - Triumph

Asking Eric Roberts to play The Master like a Pantomime Villain - Disaster (though, to be fair, there were some good moments)

The Tardis interior and exterior - Triumph (apart from the moment when the lip at the base of the door miraculously disappears to let the biker in!!)

The whole half-human rubbish - Disaster (though from what we know of the casting of one of the upcoming specials, this one might be up for discussion....possibly.....maybe.....?)

The whole planet reaching midnight at the exact same second - D'OH!!!! Disaster

The Eye of Harmony suddenly appearing in the Tardis.....wtf??....Disaster

Grace - Triumph

Snogging Grace - Disaster (well, not that I'm saying that snogging her would be a disaster, just that it didn't work in this movie....erm....oh dear)

Musical Score - Varies Wildly between Disaster and Triumph

Not crediting Ron Grainer - Disaster

Using THAT Doctor Who logo - Triumph

Mentioning Skaro - Triumph

Having Daleks on Helium - Disaster

And so on and so on.....

Mentioning Skaro a triumph? Are you forgetting that McCoy blew it up in "Rememberence..."? Anyway, that's nothing to what I've just read, namely, that Outpost Gallifrey is to close on July 31st! Ya boo sucks! To quote another S.F. series: "It will be remembered with honour".

Mentioning Skaro a triumph? Are you forgetting that McCoy blew it up in "Rememberence..."?

....and given that the whole point of the show is that it's about an alien who can travel in TIME and space, your point is?

Hehe - it's that fourth dimension - always a bugger, ain't it?? it's a pain sometimes, but it can be a gift, too :|

I don't find a single triumph or disaster to disagree with, Greg. Although I'll add:

The Doctor reading The Time Machine- chiched disaster

I thought the TARDIS console was a bit too low tech, though the rest of the interior was amazing. I like the new series direction much better.

I always got the impression that he wasn't "asked" to play it that way... Instead, he was the "big name star" and did it the way he wanted to.

On the whole, I pretty much agree with your triumph/disaster assessments.

OK saw it. McGann was outstanding. nicely mixed the seriousness with an almost panick-ridden playfullness.

Daphne Ashbrook has a good chemistry with him. Eric Roberts is always fun to watch, even if he does ham it up.

The asian gang member was just redundant. (btw, they used asian gang members in the 90's because using black people would be politically-incorrect)

McCoy looked good as the old Doctor, but was killed before he could do much. Actually the way he just walked into a gunfight was a bit silly.

The story was OK, i guess. Considering this was supposed to be a pilot.

The music is hit and miss. John Debney's fanfaric statement of the Dr Who theme proves once and for all that David Arnold must have sneaked part of this ancient british TV theme into one of this themes for the very American ID4.

A pity is that everything in this film is done on the run, there are too few moments were the films pauses enough to give the characters some depth. (in that way, it's much like Rose, but that was followed up with a proper series)

I'm in no way an expert in Doctor Who, or it's vast universe. But I think the biggest problem about this film s that apart from McGann, it just does not feel British!

David Arnold must have sneaked part of this ancient british TV theme into one of this themes for the very American ID4.

Elaborate, please?

:P

But I think the biggest problem about this film s that apart from McGann, it just does not feel British!

And there you go. It is a Americanized Who, and in that it loses much of the charm.

Father's Day

Now this is how you make TV. Fantastic concept, fantastically executed.

Piper gives her best performance so far as Rose and Shaun Dingwall is excellent as her useless father who figures out he must kill himself to save the world. The dynamics between The Doctor, who thinks he's been betrayed and Rose finish of this fantastic episode. In the end, I was in tears.

The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances

The new character of Jack Harkness (what a name) really adds to this episode. The sight of the child with the mask, and that haunting, relentless question is really eerie.

Special effects depicting the London Blitz look great, and Rose's Union Jack sweater look fab!

Good, solid writing, with a lot of nice character moments, and a few genuine scares (the kid coming back to it's room).

And for the first time, the body count is zero!

Boom Town

I loved the joviality of the gang (The Doctor, Rose and Jack) at the start of this episode. The atmosphere turns more intense though when both Rose and The Doctor have their morality challanged.

I like Rose, but she did threat Micky horribly.

Annette Badland is wonderfull as Margeret, the surviving Slitheen from the first 2 parter, and the music reminded me a bit of Goldsmith sobering clarinet solo's.

The end does feel like a bit of a cop-out. The Doctor doesn't have to decide if Margeret should be delivered to her execution.

Bad Wolf / A Parting of Ways.

The first part is a wonderfull satire and social commentary on TV coach potatoe culture and the rubbish TV shows they produce (though I like The Weakest Link :lol: )

Anne-Droid is fantastically threatening.

I like that fact that Jack is hardly bothered about were he is and what's happening to him untill Trinny and Susannah try to kill him. :rolleyes: But were did he hide that gun?

The Daleks return, guess they were not destroyed afterall in the timewar....again.

They look cool though, and I liked Dalek-God.

This is Christopher Ecclestone's final appearance as The Doctor, and even though Tennant will do a fantastic job (arguably even better), I do wish he could have sticked around for longer.

In his own words....he was great!

Jen and I have just started rewatching the first series (I just treated myself to all 4 DVD sets!). We just finished Aliens of London/World War Three. There's so much fantastic material in those two episodes. It's a story that really benefits from a second viewing. The first time I watched it I couldn't help but feel a little disappointed after the superb three episodes that preceded it (The Unquiet Dead especially). However, with the benefit of hindsight and the knowledge that there were plenty more serious and scary episodes still to come in series 1 I think the Slitheen 2-parter is a cracking romp. Harriet Jones is superb, and some of the special effects are very enjoyable. Shame UNIT got wiped out, but at the time we didn't know there were more of them out there! I'd love to see Lethbridge-Stewart make another DW appearance at some point, but then who wouldn't? :rolleyes:

Strangely it is a two-parter that I have rewatched a couple of time recently, too....for me it has benefited a lot from a little more attention, and not putting it in context with the preceding episodes.....but other than that it's just great fun!

I didn't necessarily think that 3 years ago...

Steef - Margaret Slitheen was originally intended to make another appearance in one of the fourth season episodes....which would have followed on nicely from the end of that episode....it didn't happen but the conept was nice :rolleyes: I'll leave you to find out which episode it was!!

Mentioning Skaro a triumph? Are you forgetting that McCoy blew it up in "Rememberence..."?

....and given that the whole point of the show is that it's about an alien who can travel in TIME and space, your point is?

Hehe - it's that fourth dimension - always a bugger, ain't it?? it's a pain sometimes, but it can be a gift, too :rolleyes:

I take your point, but, if it is a gift, why can't The Doctor go back in time, and stop The Time War, or, at least, stop Gallifrey being blown to bits? It seem obvious to me that the inclusion of Skaro indicates that the makers of that particular show did not do their homework, otherwise The Eye Of Harmony would not be in The Tardis, nor would McGann have to re-dub his line about The Doctor having 12 lives. Having said that, I do, in a funny kind of way, like The Movie. I also thought that The Master's cats-eyes was a nice touch, and it was nice to see The Seal Of Rassilion in The Tardis, as well as The Master's costume (was that the President-Elect's costume?). Overall, though, it was a bit of a mess, wasn't it? P.s. I finally worked out last week why McGann had the costume that he did: he knicked the Wild Bill Hickox costume which was due to be worn at the millenium party.

Actually the Doctor has 13 lives... :rolleyes:

As far as Gallifrey goes I don't think the Timelords can mess around with their own history. Events on Gallifrey happen in real time for them. They use it as a base from which their time-excursions begin, but they always return to their own timeline when returning to Gallifrey. The only exceptions to this are when the Timelords on very rare occasions brought all Doctors together, but they never brought future incarnations.

Actually the Doctor has 13 lives... :rolleyes:

I think that's what Richard meant when he said McGann had to redub the line about having 12 lives... The original filmed take he said "12 lives" but it was redubbed to "13 lives" when someone on the production team realized the mistake.

I never got on with Ecclestone. Tennant was the one who got me into the new series.

Eccleston had me from the first "Run!". Tennant took me a bit.

I never got on with Ecclestone. Tennant was the one who got me into the new series.

Absolutely. It wasn't until well into the first full season of Tennant that I began to "get" his Doctor. Now I can't get enough of it!

Oh and Richard, my bad. I'll learn to read posts more carefully before making smart comments in future ;)

Born Again

Tennant gets to show his chops while Rose looks on with horror. Nice little BBC children In Need special.

The Christmas Invasion.

Penelope Wilton makes a fantastic prime-minister. standvast, determined, yet totally human. Her final act of...well genocide is all the more shocking because of it.

Though I can't honestly say it's a bad call.

Rose if left in bitter doubt while The Doctor rests. The episode gets good mileage out of the uncertainty of her predicament.

When Tennant finally does get his curing cup of tea, he grabs the chance to make the role immidiatly his own.

I'm not sure about a swordfighting doctor (seems a bit violent to me), but Tennant does nail it. (loved his emergance from the Tardis btw, when all seemed lost.

Solid effects, good script.

And what a difference an orchestra makes over synth and sample programmes.

Murray Gold's music now caries a depth and resonance that adds enormously to the show.

I'm not sure about a swordfighting doctor (seems a bit violent to me)

"No second chances. That's the sort of man I am." That and the awesome scene at the pool with Tony Head in School Reuinion (the "I'm so old now" speech) perfectly define the Tenth Doctor's darker side- deep down he's a very, very old man who's seen too much and isn't going to take any crap any more.

The Christmas Invasion is still the gold standard for the Christmas eps.

And what a difference an orchestra makes over synth and sample programmes.

Murray Gold's music now caries a depth and resonance that adds enormously to the show.

:)

I didn't notice it until the Impossible Planet/Satan Pit 2 parter.

New Earth.

My word, the dynamic between The Doctor and Rose is changing.

For the better i'd say.

Rose is starting to fall in love.

Billy Piper does a great comedic turn when Cassandra takes over her body.

These cat people look a bit....eerie.

Why does the hospital look so much like the Burj Al Arab?

Tennants first normal episode. I liked the way he strolled around the place, totally at ease.

Good season opener.

Tooth and Claw.

Pauline Collins makes a hell of a Queen Victoria, and Billy Pipers Scottisg accent is rubbish. :lol:

What's with all the Kung Fu monks at the start of the episode? Just a bit....weird.

Wonderfully spooky episode, aided much by Gold's music.

Possible reference to Bad Wolf. Certainly the start of Torchwood.

But why does The Tardis end up the in the wrong time or place so often?

Actually, Ecclestone had me from the first trailer, when he looked up from The Tardis console, and said "D'ya wanna come with me?". After all these years, I STILL get chills thinking about it. Watching some Eccleston stories recently, I was struck by how much I missed him. He left the viewer in no doubt whatsoever that The Doctor was not of this Earth, which is something that Tennant, trimuph though his character is, occasionally forgets. I guess the series needeed both; Eccleston to get it up-and-running, and Tennant to kick it into orbit. At the end of the day, though, Tennant was fantastic, and you know what? So was Eccleston!

New Earth.

Billy Piper does a great comedic turn when Cassandra takes over her body.

A great comedic turn? That's it? Hoo boy, what has that woman of yours done to you? :lol:

Wonderfully spooky episode, aided much by Gold's music.

It's actually my least favorite Gold score, too much MV influence in places. And I can't stand the way Tooth and Claw is directed. It's much too modern and takes away from a fine script. The episode is one of my least favorites and much less than it could have been.

It's the cues at the beginning with the monks that have always struck me like that. Most of the rest I would put in the "too modern" category like a lot of the rest of the episode. Just a bit of a misfire, happens to everyone.

The whole Kung Fu scene is a bit of a mis fit, actually.

School Reunion

Anthony Head is very good in playing "creepy".

I guess Sarah-Jane returning is a great thing for old time fans. Tennant does very well in his scenes with her. Rose seems to feel threatened for some reason.

Like the last episode, the monster chase scenes are underscored with big choral music.

The Metal Dog. It's a little bit quirkey and funny, but please.....

Poor Mickey. Rose doesn't want him to come between her and her Doctor.

The Girl in the Fireplace

A potentially classic story done in by it's running time. This should have been a 2 parter. A lot of fascinating stuff, but not enough time to develop it. Particulary the romance between The Doctor and Madame De Pompadour suffers badly.

The horse on the space ship is fantastic though.

Some observations.

So far none of the episode show us anything of The Tardis apart from the main room, or whatever it's called. Were do they eat, sleep, were's the bog?

So this TARDIS can take you to any point in time, in any point in the universe? Yet a disproportional amount of episodes take place on earth, or on a Space Station orbiting earth.

This TARDIS seems to be very unreliable.

Like Jessica Fletcher, everywere they go, something seems to gone horribly wrong.

The Doctor/Rose/Sarah triangle is superb. It's the first time that one of the Doctor's old relationships is really brought out as a...relationship. I suppose you have to be an old school Who fan to appreciate K-9. :)

The Girl in the Fireplace is probably the Moff's weakest episode so far, but it's still really good. I actually never thought of it as 2 parter potential before, but you're right, it would give all the great ideas in it a chance to breathe more. Moffatt's on record saying that he prefers 2 parters, so we might be seeing more of them as he takes over the show.

Mickey really came into his own during these eps too, he quickly became a favorite character of mine. I wish he had gotten more time as a proper companion.

So far none of the episode show us anything of The Tardis apart from the main room, or whatever it's called. Were do they eat, sleep, were's the bog?
You did see the wardrobe room at the end of The Christmas Invasion, but that's it. The original series showed much more of the TARDIS interior.
So this TARDIS can take you to any point in time, in any point in the universe? Yet a disproportional amount of episodes take place on earth, or on a Space Station orbiting earth.

Costs on balance sheets, laddie, costs on balance sheets.

This TARDIS seems to be very unreliable.

It's actually much, much more reliable than ever. The first two Doctors couldn't even control its flight, and during the Sixth Doctor's era they always made a big show of it breaking down and having various mechanical troubles. I'm thinking she must have gotten a major 1000-year refit during the Time War.

Mickey's a great character. Basically a good , normal guy. He's in love with a girl who's slowly losing all interest in him. Even the Doctor treats him like his redundant.

I really enjoyed the Sarah Jame storyline. The tin metal dog was a good laugh. But I hope he doesn't become a regular. In the 70's it might have been....groovy. In this day and age it should really be a downloadable dog.

Rise Of The Cybermen/The Age Of Steel

Like the Daleks, the Cybermen look a tad dated but cool.

An attempt was made to connect them to the word "cyber" as we know it today, with upgrades, earpods etc... It almost works.

Again more dramatic choir as the big metal monsters attack. It does work though.

Roger Lloyd Pack really chews the scenery as John Lumic.

The moment it was clear that there was a second Mickey, I knew he would die and our Mickey would take his place.

Rose's dad still lives in this other universe, of course he doesn't want to know her. :) Jacky is more bitchy then ever. :D

Strong 2 parter, maybe not classic, but very good.

Strong 2 parter, maybe not classic, but very good.

....and pivotal for future events!!

I hope you were taking notes? ;)

If the season 2 finale doesn't leave you bawling like a little girl, nothing will.

But be prepared too, the worst eps of the series so far (The Idiot's Lantern, Fear Her) are coming your way.

The Idiots Lantarn

This episode is missing something. The preposed fascist angle of the episode does not work very well. The police inspector just tags along and does nothing while the Doctor talk and talks at Magpie's.

I liked Rose trying to investigate these strange going's on on her own. Though at this stage it does get her defaced.

It's watchable, but far below average.

The Impossible Planet/The Satan pit

This film draws very heavily from the 1997 sc-fi/horror film Event Horizon, which deals with a ship that crosses a gateway to another Universe only to find Hell.

Also the worman-like chatacters and the enviroment recall Alien.

The occupants of the space station do not seem to ask many question about how exactly Rose and The Doctor got there.

Tense, gripping horrorstory, were Tennant's fish-out-of-water Doctor descends into the unknown to face the Balrog...eeehhh satan.

Rose it really learning to fend for her self. Satan's prophecy about her is worrying.

It's good, but basically still a rip-off of Event Horizon.

Although I really welcome the more horror-based style of Impossible Planet/Satan Pit. For me a real highlight of season 2 (along with School Reunion and Girl in the Fireplace).

Love & Monsters

If you are going to do an episode were your 2 main stars are barely to be seen, you'd better come up with a good story angle and a few interesting characters to sit in for them. Because Love & Monsters has this, the episode works.

Marc Warren from Hustle has fun with the rather nerdy Elton. Jacky is more of a MILF then ever, untill she turns into a sweet, worrying mother. and the girl with the whiny voice from 2 Harry potter films is in it too ;)

Peter Kay is rather good as the Abzorbaloff, even though it looks and sounds vaguely like Fat Bastard from Austin Powers.

The epiose even gets a bit racy with hinting the possibility of a lovelife between Elton and...well a women head on a slab.

With The Doctor and Race only in it for a few minutes, this episode is as good as I guess it can be.

Fear Her.

This one has them in it all the time. But it does not help.

I suppose it was OK till the halfway point, but then every minute, I began to dislike it more.

There's something about the tone of the episode that rings false. It's hard to put my finger on it, but I just wanted it to be over. Maybe I was not in the mood for it.

Only the last 10 seconds, foreshadowing dark events to come interested me.

Still, the worst episode by far for me.

Fear Her.

This one has them in it all the time. But it does not help.

I suppose it was OK till the halfway point, but then every minute, I began to dislike it more.

There's something about the tone of the episode that rings false. It's hard to put my finger on it, but I just wanted it to be over. Maybe I was not in the mood for it.

Only the last 10 seconds, foreshadowing dark events to come interested me.

Still, the worst episode by far for me.

It wasn't just your mood, it really is that bad.

Love and Monsters, I have to be in the mood for.