The Doctor Who Thread.....

Greg1138

Having just recently finished watching Coupling for the first time, I'd be all for Jack Davenport as the Doctor. Although, really, I could also see Ben Miles doing well in the role; he'd be a very different kind of Doctor, but I think he could do it. Steve Coogan would also be great; or James Callis; or Dominic Monaghan, and who knows who else I can't immediately think of.

As for me, I've just watched "The Visitation." Davison is already growing on me; I doubt I'll like him as much as I like T. Baker or Pertwee, but he might manage to equal Hartnell and Troughton in my ranking of Doctors.

The story itself was okay. The giant rubber alien costume is garish as hell, but there's just smoethig aobut this show, man; they just do NOT mind a big rubber alien, they just went for it anyways and assumed the audience would go along for the ride. You've got to respect that sort of brazenness.

I also enjoyed the highwayman who joined up for these episodes, and I hated Adric, Nyssa, and Tegan a good bit less than I had in previous stories. Who knows, maybe they'll grow on me. (Although I'm aware that I don't have many episodes left to get used to Adric... That's the problem with watching 25-year-old tv shows, I guess; surprises aren't always surprising.)

Another was Marc Warren, who I've never heard of.

He played Elton in "Love & Monsters." Not a well-liked episode, although it was well-liked by me.

Watch Marc Warren in "Messiah - The Rapture" playing Detective Chief Inspector Joseph Walker....dark and brooding....but a Doctor? Yes - I can see that one.....

Another was Marc Warren, who I've never heard of.

He played Elton in "Love & Monsters." Not a well-liked episode, although it was well-liked by me.

Oh, him? As the Doctor? Errr....

The first half or so of that episode is pretty fun, but then it all descends into pointless silliness. Still, it's better than Fear Her.

Patrick is now my favorite character in Coupling, Ben Miles as a Doctor...hm, maybe. But I do like the Davenport idea too, I think he'd be good.

I just realized I neglected to link to that source that I got all that info from, looking at it again in my words it all sounds very silly. Seeing it in it's original context makes it much more believable:

http://edys-blog.blogspot.com/

Tracklist!

1. Doctor Who Season Four Opening Credits (0:46)

2. A Noble Girl About Town (2:14)

3. Life Among the Distant Stars (2:30)

4. Corridors and Fire Escapes (1:12)

5. The Sybilline Sisterhood (1:53)

6. Songs of Captivity and Freedom (4:03)

7. UNIT Rocks (1:11)

8. The Doctor's Daughter (1:38)

9. The Source (3:21)

10. The Unicorn and the Wasp (3:11)

11. The Doctor's Theme Season Four (2:47)

12. Voyage of the Damned Suite (10:21)

13. The Girl With No Name (2:45)

14. The Song of Song (2:14)

15. All in the Mind (1:18)

16. Silence In The Library (2:57)

17. The Greatest Story Never Told (6:17)

18. Midnight (3:07)

19. Turn Left (2:20)

20. A Dazzling End (2:22)

21. The Rueful Fate of Donna Noble (2:44)

22. Davros (2:07)

23. The Dark and Endless Dalek Night (3:44)

24. A Pressing Need to Save the World (4:55)

25. Hanging On The Tablaphone (1:07)

26. Song of Freedom (2:51)

27. Doctor Who Season Four Closing Credits (1:07)

Aha - well done that man!!

Looking good - I wonde rif that "Song of Freedom" is the bit that plays when the tardis is towing the Earth? Hoping so - that's one fantastic cue....

Greg

I wonde rif that "Song of Freedom" is the bit that plays when the tardis is towing the Earth? Hoping so - that's one fantastic cue....

It is indeed. Both that cue, and fantastic.

The disc is very tilted toward the finale score this time. Good choice, I think. I wonder what the Doctor's Theme is going to turn out to be. As far as I can remember all the statements of The Doctor Forever in Series 4 were the same as ones heard last year. It could be the reworked version of the Doctor's theme from Series 1 ("President Flavia" as RTD calls it in the commentaries) that appeared in the Silence in the Library 2 parter and I think a couple of times after.

A Dazzling End or The Rueful Fate of Donna Noble better be the final cue from Turn Left, the one with the series 3 action theme.

Yep, it is indeed - the blurb on Silva's site kind of trumpets that fact :nono:

And I've just totted up the track times, we're getting a whopping ~77 mins of score, and I love that they're bookending the CD with the opening and closing titles.

Looks like we're getting at least one cue from every episode, although to be honest, I don't usually pay attention to the music beyond immediate enjoyment because I know so little will be released (and a stereo mix makes DVD extraction impossible) so I don't know what most of this sounds like - I just hope not too much mindless action or heavy guitar stuff. Interesting to see a suite from Voyage of the Damned though, 10 mins is plenty of time to get the best bits, including the grand thematic statement during the "I'm The Doctor..." part :)

Silva is releasing this online before the CD, and the Torchwood album appeared over a month before the CD did, so I hope to be able to hear this album pretty soon.

Yeah it was a slightly 'juddery' change, although I think the theme is less buried underneath synths this time. I also wish we could get the previous season's closing credits, which have the 'B' theme immediately after the buildup *weeewwww* thing, although that might be at the end of the 'album version' of the theme from the first CD, never really listened to that track much.

I think Rueful Fate... is where Donna's

memory is erased

. I just looked at the episode, and the timing works out pretty much, assuming that the end was cut off, which it certainly sounds like. Looks like about the last 1/4 of the CD is right devoted to the last three episodes.

And I wonder what track 17 is from?

Excellent, I can't wait for this album. I think Murray outdid himself this season, and he mostly worked his established material into the episodes. The Dalek march from the finale is excellent, as was Donna's equivalent "Doomsday" music from "Turn Left" and the finale.

Incidentally, I found the radio recording of this year's Doctor Who Prom which containts outstanding recordings of some old and new Who music, including "The Doctor's Theme" and "Song of Freedom". I really wish I lived in the UK so I could attend things like these.

I love the fact that the "Song of Freedom" is a developed version of the Ood singing of the Doctor Donna. Hoping that the album containts the latter - I'm guessing it's "Songs of Captivity and Freedom"

I missed that prom, and still regret it - I woke up on the Sunday halfway through it, and foolishly believed the BBC would show it later on TV so I didn't bother listening further.

D'you think you could let me know where you got the radio recording from?

Sure, I'll PM you.

I have a feeling the BBC will broadcast it later in the year. It is, after all, Doctor Who related so it'd get fairly decent ratings. There's also the possibility it'll find its way onto the Season 4 DVD release. I won't hold my breath though, as the 2006 Cardiff concert didn't get onto it. Well they had a special on it, but it wasn't the whole broadcast, just clips and interviews.

I've been invited to a halloween style murder mystery (where you go to the dinner party in costume and in character as do all the other guests, and your play act your way through the evening until someone turns up dead and you have to figure out which of the assembled company did it! Great fun!) Anyway, I have been asked to provide a suitable frightening selection of music for the evening. As it's halloween I've tended to go for gloomy soundscapes over the more dynamic film-scory stuff, although one John Williams track has made it in: The Call of the Crystal from Indy4. The music can't ever get too loud or suddenly dramatic or it will interupt the atmosphere of the evening. Overall I've filled 3 80-minute CDs, which should keep us busy all evening (that's 4-hours worth!). I've mixed all the music to a similar level so we can have it playing quietly in the background but still hear the quieter passages.

I've mixed up genres and styles a bit, but much of the music is classical or electronic:

Kraftwerk: Mitternacht

Klaus Schulze: Mirage excerpt

Tangerine Dream: Rubycon part 2 (opening)

Goblin: Theme from Suspiria

Jean Michel Jarre: Oxygene part 3.

Rachmaninov: Isle of the Dead

Holst: Saturn, Bringer of Old Age

Beethoven: 3rd Symphony 3rd Mvt

Mahler: Opening of 3rd Symphony (AFTER the horn intro!)

And so on...

HOWEVER, one of the most effective tracks I picked is The Doctor's Theme from the Season 1&2 soundtrack CD. That lovely, soulful female voice singing that beautiful Murray Gold melody. In a halloween context it actually sounds incredibly ghostly and eerie. It's only just over a minute long so I've had to use a bit of editing trickery to expand it into a 3-minute version.

I can just imagine the evening. We're sitting there at the dinner table, in scary costumes. Our faces lit only by candlelight. Someone in the room is a murderer. There is scary music playing in the background. And then... that beautiful female voice starts singing, and a collective chill settles over the table as we imagine some restless female spirit gliding slowly through the room. Oooooh! I can't wait.

So has anyone been keeping up with the new Sarah Jane series? I've enjoyed it so far. The Sontaran was fun, and I thought the last episode, part 1 of The Secrets of the Stars, was particularly good. But it's a Gareth Roberts script, so no surprise there. Rani is shaping up to be a much better character than Maria, and the boy who plays Luke looks like he's finally learning how to act. And of course I can't wait for you-know-who to show up in the finale.

BTW, I'd like to hear how that night goes/went James. That sounds really interesting.

I'm sorry......what?......what?......WHAT???

I have been shamefully neglecting the current season (though have been good with the recording), but.....

.....by "Rani"....do you mean......THE Rani????

Greg

I have been shamefully neglecting the current season (though have been good with the recording), but.....

Greg

No, a new neighbor of Sarah's named Rani Chandra. No connection to "The" Rani, as far as I know.

You'd think the production team would know better than to name a new good-guy character after a classic series baddie, wouldn't you? Like calling Luke's new school buddy "Voord Churchill" or "Morbius Allen" or even "Zarbi Jenkins".

I don't think they've announced a Series 2 schedule for the US yet, but I could have missed it.

Greg

No, a new neighbor of Sarah's named Rani Chandra. No connection to "The" Rani, as far as I know.

Yeah, just and Indian name for an Indian character. Nothing more to read into it, as far as I know.

Hopefully Sci-Fi will pick up Sarah Jane again, I haven't heard anything either. But I'm more interested if it'll ever get released on DVD over here.

I enjoyed the first series of The Sarah Jane Adventures. It took some patience over the first few stories, but as the season progressed, the show definitely seemed to find its stride. Good to hear that that seems to have continued.

I heard a rumor that Nicholas Courtnry was going to be playing the Brigadier at some point during these new episodes. If so, that is VERY cool.

By the way, I've been Little Britain USA on HBO. Damn, that is a funny show. I didn't recognize Tom Baker's voice until I saw his name in the end credits of the first episode. He's frakkin' hilarious...! I'm not sure why that surprises me.

I heard a rumor that Nicholas Courtnry was going to be playing the Brigadier at some point during these new episodes. If so, that is VERY cool.

You heard right.

You should also dig up Tom Baker's guest spots on Monarch of the Glen, I know I saw some on YouTube a year or so ago. Very good too.

Hopefully Sci-Fi will pick up Sarah Jane again, I haven't heard anything either. But I'm more interested if it'll ever get released on DVD over here.

I know what you're saying. After the awful edited versions of the season 1 episodes it'll probably be best to wait for the DVD release. You know you can easily get a cheap DVD player and convert it to region free. Mine is. It took me a minute online to find out the code. Now I get all my Dr Who DVDs from England and watch them in the States.

It looks like the rumoured "seven Doctors" special isn't happening after all. Just updated on Outpost Gallifrey. ;)

Knocked out a couple more discs' worth of Fifth Doctor.

"Black Orchid": I liked this one quite a bit EXCEPT . . . man, it's just painfully obvious that there was no legitimate storytelling reason for Nyssa to look exactly like one of the characters the Tardis crew encounters. This smells very strongly of somebody having started writing the episode with the end of it (the confrontation on the roof) in mind, and continued by working backward, inventing things along the way to properly set up that ending. I hate it when I can feel the writer at work, rather than simply experience the writing as it unfolds. Apart from that, though, I enjoyed these two episodes.

"Earthshock": God, I hate the Cybermen in these episodes. I hate the way they look, I hate the way they talk, I hate the way they move . . . they just suck. And that's a shame, because otherwise, this set of episodes is excellent. Nicely paced, extremely well acted by all the principals; the sets were mostly outstanding in comparison to most other Doctor Who sets I've seen from the original series. Just in case somebody reading this wouldn't want to be spoiled, I'll say this next in black:

I actually felt a bit moved at the end of the episode. I already knew that Adric died, so it was no surprise; but it's a well-done scene, and the reactions of the Doctor and the remaining companions is suitably touching. I can imagine many a child being traumatized.

I remember there was a girl in my class at school who was always a bit of a swot and didn't have many friends. She identified quite strongly with Adric and came to school in tears the day after that episode aired. We'd have been 11. You're absolutely right about the Cybermen though. Awful! Those crinkly costumes make it obvious that's all they are, costumes! I think they looked their best in The Invasion.

My Dr Who bonanza just arrived from England (The War Machines, The Silurians, The Sea Devils, Warriors of the Deep, Planet of Evil, City of Death, The Time Warrior, and Claws of Axos). They were all on sale at Amazon, and I try to get them when they're around 7 pounds. I've started watching The Silurians. Great stuff! Scary caves, creepy direction, very imaginative! More than makes up for the slightly silly dinosaur. Great!

David Banks is still the definitive Cyberman voice to me though. Even over Nick Briggs (though Briggs has taken the crown of best Dalek voices). And you're right about Adric, Bryant. Very moving and well done, especially considering he's one of the least popular companions ever.

bowdown !

:censored: :censored: :censored: !

I really, really hoped that the most popular and successful Doctor since Tom Baker would have a go at the record. But as disappointed as I am, it really does make sense to go out at the same time as RTD & co. and let the Moff bring in his own Doctor. And all credit to everyone involved, they had us fooled. Or me, at least. Everything, and I mean everything, that was leaked, hinted, or directly said the last months had all pointed toward Tennant staying at least for Series 5.

So, wh...er, now wh...Damn, there's no way to ask the question without it being a horrible pun you'd see on the front of The Sun. Personally I'm rooting for Jack Davenport. Or Rowan Atkinson (seriously).

The great thing about this character is a quality that, so far as I know, has never been replicated in any other franchise: the character doesn't really have to be the same from one iteration to the next. When casting James Bond, for example, a producer really is obligated to look only within a fairly narrow set of margina for the actor to play the role.

But with the Doctor, it's a lot looser. He needs to be eccentric. He also needs to feel like he's intelligent and wise and morally superior; but those qualities can come and go, they need not be constantly present. (Another key consideration might be that the actor needs to be able to disappear in the role. You wouldn't want to see Hugh Laurie play the Doctor, because at this point, you'd just watch him and say, "Look, it's Hugh Laurie playing Doctor Who," when what you want is to see an episode and say, "Look, it's Doctor Who." So superstars are probably ineligible.) Beyond that...? The actor has a pretty free hand in doing his own thing; really, the more different he feels to the previous guy, the better.

There are numerous candidates who would be great in the role. Whether the BBC can sign one of them or not, well, that's a different matter.

The great thing about this character is a quality that, so far as I know, has never been replicated in any other franchise: the character doesn't really have to be the same from one iteration to the next. When casting James Bond, for example, a producer really is obligated to look only within a fairly narrow set of margina for the actor to play the role.

It's actually the exact opposite, it's been essential to the show's and charater's longevity that every actor has put their own personal stamp on their particular Doctors. I've named my top two candidates, but I'm sure I'll be happy with whoever they decide to cast. I didn't even know who Eccleston or Tennant were before they got the role.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

<breathes>

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, that is disappointing. But I'm not completely upset - after all, this truly lets Steven Moffat work with a completely clean slate. I love Tennant as the Doctor, but sometimes his portrayal can be overwhelming. The angry outbursts, the technobabble - these are things I both love and dislike about the character. I think Eccleston was a bit more balanced and could've done an amazing job had he continued. Still, I'm very sad to hear this.

The main thing that need to be tied to the most recent three Doctors is the sense of loneliness and mystery. I'm confident in the judgement of Moffat and co, it's not something that will be taken lightly.

EDIT - Amusing to note that included in that linked article are the odds for who will play the next Doctor. One of the options, at 8 - 1, is John Simm. Huh?

One of the options, at 8 - 1, is John Simm. Huh?

The possibility of having Simm as The Doctor is one that has been strongly rumoured since his appearance as The Master - in fact I think somewhere on this thread is mentioned a rumour that a consideration was given for Tennant to regenerate into 2 time lords - The Doctor and The Master - BOTH played by Simm....

The only thing I've ever seen Simm in was Doctor Who, and on the basis of that, I'd have to say he'd be very good.

However, given how prominently featured he was as the Master, there'd be no way to have him play the Doctor without doing an entire arc of episodes dealing with some sort of gobbledygook like the one mentioned in that rumor. Which might be fine; might even be terrific, if it were written well.

But it seems like a bad idea to me. Just let Tennant end his remarkably popular run in some sort of dignified manner, one that acknowledges that popularity and puts some kind of a capper on it. Then, let the next guy take over with as clean a slate as you can get on this type of show. That's what I'm hoping for; I'd just as soon not see the transition used as an excuse for overly outlandish plot developments.

I bet Andy Serkis is as much in the running as I am. All sorts of wierd names pop up when a new Doctor's being cast.

About Simm, yes there was a rumor before series 4 about a story arc involving either the Doctor and the Master swapping bodies, or the Doctor's next incarnation simply- by pure chance- being exactly the same as Simm's Master. I'd love Simm in the role, in fact I might put him ahead of Davenport on my wish list. And the scuttlebut is that Simm will be appearing in at least one of the specials, fwiw. And magical mentioned a "clean slate", I get the feeling it's going to be cleaner than you think. Like the specials wrapping up almost everything that the Davies era is all about, including...

the return of the Time Lords

Oh and Greg, is this what you were looking for? :lol:

darth_vader_nooo1.jpeg

Yep - I could see Andy Serkis in the roll actually....

....another name that has been linked to the part - believe it or not - is Richard Hammond.....

David Morrisey is being mentioned only because of his role in this year's Christmas special. I'm putting zero stock in any name the mainstream press floats out. It's all speculation with no evidence.

Yes I heard that. He certainly looks the part and he has a kinda quirky personality, but it'll never happen.

I'm not believing anything the press comes up with til I hear it from The Moff (or DWM). I've been a fan since 1982, and I remember the dark days between the end of the Classic Series and the New Series, with the rumors of the (failed) film version where every other week the press claimed someone was "officially signed on" to be the Doctor... Eric Idle, Dudley Moore, John Cleese, Anthony Hopkins, Sylvester Stallone (I am not kidding you, he was actually one of the names in the press at the time)...

And the list of names being bandied about now, all of it is just speculation, some because they've worked with Steven Moffat before (Nesbitt, Davenport) or have been in Doctor Who before (Joseph, Simm, Head). It's all just a bunch of BS from the press to make a story when they have nothing.

A bit like the entire US mainstream press on pretty much any topic, actually. :D

(And on a musically-related note, SilvaScreen is offering the Series 4 soundtrack for download as of today in advance of the CD release on Nov 18th... linkie )

*Rubs chin* Indeed!

Sad truth is though, since the success of Tennant they're bound to cast someone with some sort of sex appeal. They will try to emulate what Tennant brought to the role. So that's Bailey out of the running I'm afraid.