The Doctor Who Thread.....

Greg1138

I'd just got used to the idea of Chiwetel Whatsisname as Doc 11 and then the BBC pull the carpet out from under my feet! Who's this young whippersnapper??? Matt Smith indeed. Mind you, age aside he certainly looks the part. He's the first Doctor since Tom Baker to have "those eyes". I'll reserve judgement. I was undecided about Tennant at first. Also, I was extremely wary of Tom Baker at first. I remember being devestated when Pertwee regenerated into Baker. I was 4, and couldn't get my head around the fact that some interloper was seemingly pretending to be the Doctor. It's quite comforting to realise that 34 years later I haven't changed much at all. ;)

I'd just got used to the idea of Chiwetel Whatsisname as Doc 11 and then the BBC pull the carpet out from under my feet! Who's this young whippersnapper??? Matt Smith indeed. Mind you, age aside he certainly looks the part. He's the first Doctor since Tom Baker to have "those eyes". I'll reserve judgement. I was undecided about Tennant at first. Also, I was extremely wary of Tom Baker at first. I remember being devestated when Pertwee regenerated into Baker. I was 4, and couldn't get my head around the fact that some interloper was seemingly pretending to be the Doctor. It's quite comforting to realise that 34 years later I haven't changed much at all. ;)

Tennant was an acquired taste for me as well, I don't think it was until he was standing alongside Liz Sladen that I started to get into his Doctor. But since then he's been amazing. Matt Smith probably has the toughest job since Peter Davison had to succeed Tom Baker (and did so wonderfully).

Composers aren't exacly high priority, it probably won't be until soon before Series 5 airs.

I liked him. But I still have fond memories of Tom Baker and that scarf. Sylvester McCoy was a tad awful IMO.

No Doctor has ever been crap, IMO.

Sylvester McCoy was terrible. He (and terrible production) marked the end of the Doctor's earlier escapades. The franchise was all but dead after him.

I am pretty open-minded about things (I keep watching Torchwood, for example, and I even like the SW prequels) but I just get a real knee-jerk negative reaction whenever I look at Matt Smith. And the interviews clips I saw of him didn't ease my mind at all. BUT, hopefully, by the time he starts shooting, they will have worked out a new look for him (i.e. toned down the hair, crafted a less-Tenant-y vibe). The youthful-ness throws me off too, but perhaps they will be making something of that in the show (everyone doubts him cos he looks like a kid, etc). I do trust Moffat, but seeing this guy, my first thought was that maybe Russell Davies shouldn't be leaving after all...

ps - i thought Sylvester McCoy's best performance was in the Paul McGann movie

Didn't know you were a Who fan, EJ. Nice. I've seen the extended Confidential interview and I mostly like the vibe, and like others have said I definately trust the Moff. I wonder if the outfit he's wearing in the photos is going to be similar to the final costume.

Of the realistic possibilites I really wanted Jack Davenport or Sean Pertwee. Chiwetel Ejiofor I would have been fine with too, he was great in Serenity. But my all time dream Doctor is still Rowan Atkinson.

Didn't know you were a Who fan, EJ. Nice. I've seen the extended Confidential interview and I mostly like the vibe, and like others have said I definately trust the Moff. I wonder if the outfit he's wearing in the photos is going to be similar to the final costume.

Of the realistic possibilites I really wanted Jack Davenport or Sean Pertwee. Chiwetel Ejiofor I would have been fine with too, he was great in Serenity. But my all time dream Doctor is still Rowan Atkinson.

Yeah, life-long Who fan. Definitely don't get what they're thinking yet with this new guy, but like we've all, said seems to know what he's doing so...

What I liked about the possibility of Chiwetel especially was that he was so different from Tenant. Smith seems sort of like a younger version of Tenant to me, what with the skinny and the big hair, etc...

Here's something else I've just noticed: most of RTD's promo pics were, like his version of the show, jaunty. Colorful. Happy. Now look at the first pics with Matt Smith. Stark. Edgier. All those dark colors, and graded to boot (grrr...). A subtle yet distinct message on how the Moffat vision will differ from the Davies vision.

Or to put it another way: Davies was Barry Letts and Terrance Dicks. Moffat's Philip Hichcliffe and Robert Holmes. (Not a perfect analogy, but I think it makes the point.)

Wow, unexpected... but then again I don't know quite what I was expecting! Obviously this is the opportunity of a lifetime for the new actor, I really hope he succeeds as much as his predecessors.

I'm reserving judgement till I watch that first episode, but I'll be doing so optimistically. I have faith in Moffat.

"The Next Doctor": I enjoyed this one. David Morrissey was good, the lady playing the villain was good, the effects were good, the score was good. It was maybe a little silly, but all in good fun.

"The Mark of the Rani": I still can't stand Ainley as the Master. On the other hand, this is only my second Colin Baker episode, and I already like him. Peri was also surprisingly tolerable in this one. Overall, pretty good.

Peri, tolerable in Mark of the Rani? Wow, you must really like her. :)

The Mark of the Rani is worth an occasional viewing just for the interplay between the Rani and the Master. Very fun and amusing, the way the Rani mocks the Master/Doctor feud. The rest is pretty forgettable though, other than the rubber tree.

I'm glad you're getting into C. Baker. Like David Tennant, he was a big Who fan with great natural talent who was delighted to get the chance to play the role. Unlike Tennant, his tenure was marred by bad writing, meddling from producers and executives, and Baker eventually being made the scapegoat for all the show's ills. His performance in Trial of a Time Lord is remarkable, he really holds the whole thing together (along with Michael Jayson being equally good as the Valeyard). Just imagine what he could have done under better circumstances.

Or to put it another way: Davies was Barry Letts and Terrance Dicks. Moffat's Philip Hichcliffe and Robert Holmes. (Not a perfect analogy, but I think it makes the point.)

If Moffat really is going follow the Hinchcliffe/Holmes approach I can't wait! I still think season 13 was the absolute highlight of Dr Who. Some of the new seasons have come damn close, but season 13 still wears the crown IMO.

Peri, tolerable in Mark of the Rani? Wow, you must really like her. :P

Not really; I just loathed her so much in "Vengeance on Varos" that she seemed okay this time. Still one of my least favorite of all the companions I've seen.

I'm glad you're getting into C. Baker. Like David Tennant, he was a big Who fan with great natural talent who was delighted to get the chance to play the role. Unlike Tennant, his tenure was marred by bad writing, meddling from producers and executives, and Baker eventually being made the scapegoat for all the show's ills. His performance in Trial of a Time Lord is remarkable, he really holds the whole thing together (along with Michael Jayson being equally good as the Valeyard). Just imagine what he could have done under better circumstances.

Yeah, I like him. I'd read about his departure not being very amicable; what a shame. I'm glad the current series isn't having problems like that.

Intrigued by Matt Smith. I will give him the benefit of the doubt, especially since Steven Moffat was behind the casting choice. But I am now officially Old. For the first time, the Doctor is younger than me. Weird.

As for Murray Gold's replacement... Haven't heard a thing. My first guess is Ben Foster, who's been Murray's orchestrator and conductor for a while now. And he's composed for Torchwood. So he would seem to be the logical choice.

Damn, I forgot Gold was leaving the show too :rolleyes:

Ben Foster has to replace him I think.

"The Next Doctor": I enjoyed this one. David Morrissey was good, the lady playing the villain was good, the effects were good, the score was good. It was maybe a little silly, but all in good fun.

I agree about Morrissey, the lady and the score, but I'm sorry, those effects were some of the most laughable I've ever seen. Problem with Who's effects, is they are generally good (in the series), but they have a 'look' that cries a budget limitation to me - they're just not Hollywood standard.

• 2 months later...

Watched "Revelation of the Daleks."

Hoo-boy, was that a pile of crap. I hate Davros to begin with, so that didn't help. But how do you have Daleks and not really have much of anything for them to do? And the disc jockey, man, I don't even know where to begin with him except to say that he's one of THE most annoying characters I've ver seen in any movie. He made me long for Deuce Bigalow to show up.

And yet, I still like Colin Baker as the Doctor.

Say, didn't I read somewhere that they cast the companion for the Matt Smith series? I'm surprised there's no chatter about that around here.

Been neglecting this thread for while.....

I don't think Matt Smith's companion has been officially cast as yet, though I hear Michelle Ryan ("The Bionic Woman") has been rumoured to want to return full-time for Season 5 following her appearance in the first of this years specials with Tennant. Lindsay Duncan will join Tennant for the second of the specials.

Revelation of the Daleks - Colin Baker at his most "Doctor-ish", some cracking sets, occasionally pretty decent effects, an intelligent, witty and inventive script, Terry Molloy being given a chance to be evil at last instead of just a panto villain....80's Doctor Who at it's most grown-up....what's not to like???? We will agree to disagree on this one :(

Torchwood: Children of Earth - view a trailer HERE....no hint of a broadcast date yet - anyone heard any hints?

Greg

Given that the article also states that Lindsay Duncan will be in this year's Christmas Special (which is incorrect), I wouldn't pay much heed to that article. Plus the story originally came from the "News of the World" - not sure what that newspaper's reputation is in the rest of the world, but in the UK it is generally seen as laughable at best. Shame - she's cute!!

There's been no official news on any Series 5 companions or anything else with Series 5 other than the TARDIS interior will be redesigned (no surprise). There is, however, quite a bit of info regarding the forthcoming specials, including several juicy spy reports from location filming, available from your favorite Doctor Who news site. My favorite is Life, Doctor Who, and Combom.

I quite like Revelation. It's an attempt to do something different, and all comes together quite well, especially for an Eric Saward script (not to mention 1,028,231 times better than the disaster Saward's previous Dalek story was). Lots of interesting new characters (particularly Orcini), a more Doctorish Doctor than we saw for most of the rest of that year and yet it's a story where the Doctor's not as heavily involved as usual. And Davros gets his hand blown off, a little piece of continuity that was retained for the new series. I love those guys.

Well, I'm glad you guys like "Revelation of the Daleks" more than I do. My opinion might very well change the more familiar I become with the classic series; as is, I'm still a relative noob.

There's nothing that will make that disc jockey suck any less, though. That's like the winner of a bad-idea contest.

I guess the whole DJ thing is just an "English" conceit :(

EDIT: Hmmmm - interesting site, Mr C...deserves a bit of a better look around than what's on the main page.....but if anyone really DOES want to hear "Dr Who and the Pescatons" in better quality than what they are offering - and it's really not as bad as it sounds - please PM me ;)

EDIT: Hmmmm - interesting site, Mr C...deserves a bit of a better look around than what's on the main page.....

There's a bit of nonsense, but he also brings the goods quite nicely. If you dig deeper there's quite a few posts of the "Doctor" skits from Dead Ringers, great stuff.

I remember not thinking all that much of Revelation when I saw it many moons ago, BUT I have just bought the DVD and will get around to re-watching it soon. Re-appraisal soon. I remember hating Alexi Sayle's character (he's very overrated IMO), and the whole "killing a Dalek with Rock'n'Roll thing was very cheap. I'm working my way through the E-Space trilogy and the K9 box set first. So, when do you lucky UK-dwellers get Planet of the Dead? I have no idea when it will make it over here so I'm going to have to rely on the goodwill of my English friends to hook me up.

I remember hating Alexi Sayle's character (he's very overrated IMO), and the whole "killing a Dalek with Rock'n'Roll thing was very cheap.

I felt embarrassed to be watching it, it was so lame. It's possible this character sucked so much ass that I wasn't able to properly judge the rest of the episode. It's also possible I'll never bother to give it a second shot and find out for sure. Life's too frickin' short to slog through stuff for no better reason than that.

At some point, though, I'll happily watch the bonus features; I always enjoy those on Who releases.

So, when do you lucky UK-dwellers get Planet of the Dead? I have no idea when it will make it over here so I'm going to have to rely on the goodwill of my English friends to hook me up.

No definitive date yet - all we know is that it's an "Easter Special", so should be around the beginning of April I think....

So, when do you lucky UK-dwellers get Planet of the Dead? I have no idea when it will make it over here so I'm going to have to rely on the goodwill of my English friends to hook me up.

No definitive date yet - all we know is that it's an "Easter Special", so should be around the beginning of April I think....

My guess is Easter Saturday, as the last non-Saturday screening (apart from the Christmas specials) was the late Bank Holliday Monday, in 1996, for the Paul McGann movie.

"Remembrance of the Daleks": My first exposure to Sylvester McCoy. I'm not sure what to make of him. I wouldn't say I dislike him, certainly not on the basis of a couple of episodes ... but I can't honestly say I like him, either. All those trilled Rs; not hank you. Now Ace, on the other hand, I liked immediately. Seems like a very promising companion. As for the episode itself, it was okay. I enjoyed the tie-ins to the original pilot, but the big reveal of Davros, whom I hate, made me curse pretty loudly.

"Ghost Light": Okay, what the f--k was that? I'll tell you what it was: confusing. I'll tell you what else it was: bad. My friend and I literally thought we'd somehow skipped over an episode, because neither of us could make any sense out of what was going on. Hell, I still don't know. At some point, I'll check out the commentaries and behind-the-scenes stuff and see if this can shed any light on things. At which point, I'll consider going back and giving this wretched thing another look, because who knows, maybe I'm just a dumbass and missed the point. I still like Ace, though.

:lol: at your comments for Ghost Light. It is very befuddling, but after you've watched it a few times it makes a sort of weird sense, and has some nice moments. The cream of Scotland Yard, indeed. I like the "...and you don't like my tie" rant. I've never understood how Ace admitting she burned the mansion down was some big revelation/character moment for her. The whole thing is just sloppily told.

As for Rememberance, that's one of my favorite McCoy's and so far the only one of his I have on DVD. It's the first true reflection of the Andrew Cartmel (script editor) vision for the show, with a renewed shadow being cast over the Doctor's past. The "we" slip up when talking about the ancient Gallifreyan, pre-Time Lord Rassilon era is entirely intentional. That whole arc, as well as turning the 7th Doctor into a cold cosmic Machieavellian manipulator, is fleshed out in the Virgin New Adventures novel series that started up after the classic series ended, and that Cartmel had a large hand in. It might be just as well that didn't make it to TV, as McCoy's probably not the actor to carry that vision of the Doctor. Although I do like McCoy, don't get me wrong. I've never actually disliked anyone that's played the Doctor.

My main problem with Rememberance is you can see that Who's budget is worse than ever. The BBC cut them down to 14 episodes per year starting with Trial of a Time Lord, and was giving them the money for maybe 4. It's obvious at that point they were just trying to kill the show off. All those shots of shaky Daleks wobbling down the streets...horrible. Of course the director's to blame there too, why in the world he didn't frame the shot so the street wouldn't be visible and they could put some tracks or something down is beyond me.

I did notice that McCoy was playing things a bit on the sinister side, and I enjoyed those scenes quite a lot. He also has a very nice chemistry with Sophie Aldred. Did I mention that I like Ace? Because I like Ace.

My main problem with Rememberance is you can see that Who's budget is worse than ever. The BBC cut them down to 14 episodes per year starting with Trial of a Time Lord, and was giving them the money for maybe 4. It's obvious at that point they were just trying to kill the show off. All those shots of shaky Daleks wobbling down the streets...horrible. Of course the director's to blame there too, why in the world he didn't frame the shot so the street wouldn't be visible and they could put some tracks or something down is beyond me.

I did notice those wobbly Daleks. Hard to miss. And yes, it's kind of obvious that it was a show on its last legs. Still, if you like that sort of thing, there is a handy amount of entertainment value to be found in those episodes, and that's more than you can say about a lot of shows on their last legs. Heck, even "Ghost Light" is entertaining, in a befuddling sort of way; I was confused as hell, but I was never bored.

Heh, yes we all love Ace. Or I think we do. Both Rose and Donna would knock her out for the show's entire run, but she'd probably be in my top 5 classic series companions. If I, y'know, had such a list... :lol:

And yes, even the worst era of Who is still better than 90% of everything else out there. It's a good thing you skipped right over McCoy's first season. My advice: don't go back. It's better not to know.

That's right! As I recall the VHS tape came out pretty much the same time as it was broadcast, is that right?

It was released about 5 days before The Movie. There was a premiere of it, and, as I recall, a number of Doctor Who-associated folks, including Jon Pertwee, saw it (apparently, he liked it).

Thanks Richard. I wasn't sure if my memory was playing tricks on me.

We don't ALL like Ace, I'm afraid. She's my second least favourite companion after Mel. I find her extremely annoying. As for favourite companions, well:

1: Sarah Jane Smith (THE best!)

2: Harry Sullivan (I thought the chemistry he brought to his season was terrific!)

3: Jamie McCrimmon

4: Rose Tyler

5: Jo Grant