The Doctor Who Thread.....

Greg1138

I like the new logo. It has a nice little retro flair to it, but still differentiates itself from the others. I also like the DW making up the walls of the TARDIS, and am interested to see if that will be used for anything other than for marking.

I love the Doctor Who part of the logo. The DW TARDIS I'm less wild about.

Anyone following the location filming going on right now? They're actually filming episode 1 now (the first location shoot was apparently episode 4), complete with Matt Smith running around with a torn and battered version of #10's suit, post regeneration. Not to mention Karen Gillan (Amy Pond) looking very yummy in the shortest police skirt in history. Lots of pics and some vids if you know where to look. :lol:

I'm OK with the new logo. Not great, but at least better than RTD's version. Don't care for the TARDIS "DW" though.

And I agree about the recent pics of Amy in the police skirt. Extremely scrumptious, excellent choice for companion, Mr. Moffat! :lol:

Man, that scared me for a minute. I was thinking "A kid's going to design THE TARDIS console? What?!" Then I got to the point where it said for one episode, which actually opens up all kinds of intriging story possibilities. Presumably it'll be for an ep late in the run, if the contest is happening now.

It's growing on me already. Yesterday I was indifferent. Now it's my desktop wallpaper and I like it more. I like the retro feel of it. The insignia isn't too bad either.

It looks a bit to nerdy, and not action packed enough.

Maybe it's a sign of the new direction of the series? Less focused on action and explosions, more focus on characters, relationships, emotions, bleak environments, tense situations...

Just a thought.

Moffatt's episodes so far have tended to be more cerebral with more focus on horror and thrills than all out action, I'm sure that trend will continue.

But he's also acknowledged that under RTD he was writing to a specific style, and as showrunner he will vary and branch out more, so who knows.

Time for me to chime in.....

I have been left a bit non-plussed by Who across the past year or so.....first the news about a delay in season 5, then the news about the specials, then the news that there would be no special for 7 months or so following the Easter one, no Who now for too long and I'm very afraid that the hiatus will have cost the team behind the show a lot of fans.

That being said, Waters of Mars is only a few weeks away now, and there are certainly signs that the end of 2009 and first few months of 2010 COULD be the best yet. My patience has been tried but I have a feeling, as I hope do many others (but I know many that have gone off the boil), that the wait will be well worth it.

I have been keeping up with things (despite yet another bout of surgery - fingers crossed this time!!) - and yes, I like the new logo...not least for it's whistful simplicity and a hark back to the Pertwee days...but time is now up - we need the Waters to break very soon!!

The Easter special should have been shown in the early summer to make the gaps a bit more even. I know The Mill were really stretched to have it done that early, a later transmission could have done a lot of good.

This news should help too, Greg: it's being rumored that Series 5 is going to go off earlier than usual, perhaps as early as January. It's also possible that it could be split up like seasons are here in the US, with half going on in the winter and half in the summer.

Details have started to emerge about Richard Curtis' episode: it's going to feature

Vincent Van Gough, and a yellow monster will be involved. That's possibly two major historical figures this year, as Winston Churchill is also rumored to feature in a story, one of the first shot.

Oh dear. As I was double checking the above paragraph I've just seen news that Barry Letts, one of the main architects of the Pertwee era as well a major player behind the scenes in Tom Baker's superb final season (JNT's first), has passed away. He'd been ill quite some time. :)

Oh that's sad.....a major architect of excellent BBC dramas other than Who too.....him, Verity Lambert a couple of years ago, Douglas Adams....all these people helped make Who what it is today. Very sad.

My patience has been tried but I have a feeling, as I hope do many others (but I know many that have gone off the boil), that the wait will be well worth it.

That sounds like fanboy twaddle to me?

Your parience has been tried? You don't have to do anything, just sit and wait!

The makers of Doctor Who don't owe you anything, they provide you this show for FREE!

I agree with Stefan (at least partially).

Did they do a horrible job at spreading out these specials? Of course. Tennent hasn't been on screen as the Doctor since Easter, and now he's going to be in three Doctor Who specials and two episodes of the Sarah Jane Adventures in a matter of two months? Waters of Mars should have been an end of summer type deal, but what's done is done. I hate when people come off as if they're angry they're not getting something when they want it. You are not entitled to anything, and the fact that the Doctor will be on should be enough to keep you tided over. Instead, you complain and claim some sort of entitlement to get them to keep your patience in check.

If you can't go a few months with anything new Doctor Who related being released, how did you survive from 1996 until 2005?

Woooah chaps!! For a start, those of us in the UK do not get provided with shows by the BBC for "free" - we are forced to pay money for them. To be honest, when there are shows like Who around, I don't begrudge paying. Secondly, am I "coming off as angry"? I don't think so.....I'm coming off as someone who pays for this show, who cares about the show, who has seen it built up superbly over a number of years, but who feels that whichever way you slice it the powers that be may, just may, have dropped a bit of a bollock. Not that I'm not looking forward to it - but Doctor Who has gone off the boil in the UK big time (even a local convention scheduled for November was cancelled due to lack of interest). Hate to be blunt about it, but it has.

I sincerely hope that the interest can be sparked again - but the drip-drip of information has gone on too long now. It's time for some shows.

John - the possibility of the season being split in 2 as you suggest....intrigues me.

John - the possibility of the season being split in 2 as you suggest....intrigues me.

Like Top Gear is split into 2 short seasons of about 6 to 8 weeks you mean?

The propblem might be that eith a new Dopctor, new assistant, new production team, new look etc, the first 6 episodes will be over before we got a chance to really get used to it. Remember, Tennant will be a tough act to follow.

The parallel with TG hadn't occurred to me - I see what you mean....

If, however, the first "segment" of the new series airs as early as John suggests, it might make for a seamless transition from the last of the Tennant era to the start of the new order...it has been tried before in Who, though in that case the new Doctor was an unlikeable character - that did not help much! Will be interesting to see how it is all handled, but the interest needs to be built back up again. An announcement regarding release dates for the inevitable Box Set of the 2008/09 specials would be good! As would more exposure for The Waters of Mars - I haven't seen a single trailer on TV for it yet, not even a teaser (other than that at the end of Planet of the Dead), but it is only a matter of weeks away. The Doctor Who Juggernaut (hey, see what I did there?) needs to kick into gear again. Now.

Afew thoughts;

Firstly, Stefan, absence does not make the heart grow fonder, it makes it "lose weight".

I am not so "psyched-up" about this new series as I have been about others. The sight of "Professor Indiana Smith", and his barely legal girlfriend, does not inspire much confidence.

The new logo is interesting; it seems to me to hark back to the Pat. Troughton era, but, like many, I'm not fussed with the DW Tardis thingy.

Like Greg, I have invested a large part of my life in "Doctor Who", and, because of this, I will not suddenly switch off just because it makes changes that I may not agree with, nor like. I consider myself "faithful" to the show, as I consider myself "faithful" to my favourite soccer team.

I am glad to hear that Moffat is moving into more "horror" territory. This makes me think that the new season may have the gothic feel of the Philip Hinchcliffe-produced seasons rather than the funnier Graham Williams-produced ones. This is definitely one aspect of the new season that I am looking forward to.

I will reserve judgement on the new Doctor until at least next year. Eccleston was a tough act to follow, but Tennant did it. Baker (T) was also a tough act to follow, but Davison completely blew him out of the water, so it can be done. I look forward to next March...

I'm sure the reason the new series is being kept very much under wraps is because the Tennant era is not yet finished. He is now pretty much considered THE Doctor by a whole generation of license fee payers, and the producers do not wanna jump the gun by heavily marketing the new season with the Tennant/RTD specials still to go.

Anyways, it's still half a year away.

As for why they specials are not being advertised heavily...

Who knows? There's a crisis on.

Exactly, they're not going to push the new Doctor until the old one's done.

RTD had always said that Who's popularity would hit a peak and then drop off, and Series 4 just may have been that peak. I've always liked the time off from a behind the scenes perspective, as I think it allows a smoother transition from the RTD to Moffatt production teams, there won't be that "producer bleedover" and rough transition time you often saw during the classic Who era when producers were changed. But as Greg rightfully points out it hasn't done the show any favors with the general public.

Baker (T) was also a tough act to follow, but Davison completely blew him out of the water

Hmmm...

Pixie, is that a "yes" hmmm, a "no" hmmm, or an "I'm not sure about that" hmmm?

Personally, I found Tom Baker a bit of a let-down after the magnificence of Jon Pertwee (still, penny-for-penny, the best all-round Doctor), but each to his own, as your avatar clearly demonstrates. I guess that this is a sticky area that even die-hard Who fans get into, being that many fail to realise that all 10 (soon to be 11) actors are playing the same man! It's not like James Bond, where each successive actor interprets the role-after all, Daniel Craig is not going to suddenly come out with "Yesh, Mish Moneypenny", is he? From Hartnell to Smith, we are watching the same person on-screen. I guess that I should accept that, and learn to love all aspects of his character, as portrayed by the different actors.

It has indeed been some time since Planet of the Dead, but I've had plenty of other things to watch and it doesn't seem like 6 months since that special.

It's noticeable though that Dr Who fever has died down from the nearly plutonic level from the cliffhanger last season. I rarely listen to the scores now and very occasionally watch an episode when they're shown on BBC3 in the evenings.

Completely missed the new logo revelation. Very, very different and I think it definitely signals a different direction for the series which I have mixed feelings about. Tennant has basically defined the Doctor for me (I have memories of some of the early 90s episodes but can't recall any specific doctors or performances) and he is going to be missed by a lot of people.

It has indeed been some time since Planet of the Dead, but I've had plenty of other things to watch and it doesn't seem like 6 months since that special.

It's noticeable though that Dr Who fever has died down from the nearly plutonic level from the cliffhanger last season. I rarely listen to the scores now and very occasionally watch an episode when they're shown on BBC3 in the evenings.

Completely missed the new logo revelation. Very, very different and I think it definitely signals a different direction for the series which I have mixed feelings about. Tennant has basically defined the Doctor for me (I have memories of some of the early 90s episodes but can't recall any specific doctors or performances) and he is going to be missed by a lot of people.

Oh, wow! I'd love to see these "early 90s episodes".

Yeah I realise now that it ended in '89 and there were just a few specials in the 90s - those would've been the ones I'd seen.

I think I saw a few episodes with Ace when I was tiny, and I remember seeing a 3D TV special in the early 90s, but that's it.

Baker (T) was also a tough act to follow, but Davison completely blew him out of the water

Hmmm...

Personally, I found Tom Baker a bit of a let-down after the magnificence of Jon Pertwee (still, penny-for-penny, the best all-round Doctor), but each to his own, as your avatar clearly demonstrates. I guess that this is a sticky area that even die-hard Who fans get into, being that many fail to realise that all 10 (soon to be 11) actors are playing the same man! It's not like James Bond, where each successive actor interprets the role-after all, Daniel Craig is not going to suddenly come out with "Yesh, Mish Moneypenny", is he? From Hartnell to Smith, we are watching the same person on-screen. I guess that I should accept that, and learn to love all aspects of his character, as portrayed by the different actors.

It was a "no" hmmm. ;) I think DT has made the part of The Doctor his own in a way no actor has managed for some time (even the great Ecclestone who I actually preferred on the whole), but I still think of Tom Baker as THE Doctor. He lived and breathed the part.

On the other hand, it's nice to see that someone else out there admires Pertwee. I always loved his Doctor. In fact he was the first Doctor I ever saw as a child. I remember being devestated when he regenerated into Tom Baker. However, I quickly fell in love with Tom's portrayal, and it has become the quintessential portrayal IMO.

I remember seeing a 3D TV special in the early 90s...

Oh I am sorry. Dimensions In Time was the deepest depth that Doctor Who has ever dropped to.

DiT might have been OK if it wasn't gimmicked up with 3D, and if JNT hadn't directed it. Throw in a whole new script, from the ground up, and you might get up to decent.

Hmmm...

It was a "no" hmmm. :thumbup: I think DT has made the part of The Doctor his own in a way no actor has managed for some time (even the great Ecclestone who I actually preferred on the whole), but I still think of Tom Baker as THE Doctor. He lived and breathed the part.

On the other hand, it's nice to see that someone else out there admires Pertwee. I always loved his Doctor. In fact he was the first Doctor I ever saw as a child. I remember being devestated when he regenerated into Tom Baker. However, I quickly fell in love with Tom's portrayal, and it has become the quintessential portrayal IMO.

I remember seeing a 3D TV special in the early 90s...

Oh I am sorry. Dimensions In Time was the deepest depth that Doctor Who has ever dropped to.

I am such a fan of JP, because that is when I started watching the show seriously, having emerged from behind the sofa! To be fair to TB, I guess that I came to accept him, while still pineing for JP. let's be honest, TB did have an arrogance that gave even CB a run for his money. I just think that, especially after watching later TB dvds, and their extras, that TB thought that he was larger than the show itself. No wonder he didn't hit it off with JNT.

Honstly, was DIT reallt that bad? I did laugh when The Tardis landed in Albert Square. Is it really worse than "The Curse Of Fatal Death"? Joanna Lumley as The Doctor? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

The Curse of Fatal Death is deliberate parody, and a great one at that (written by Steven Moffat!). Dimensions in Time is supposed to be serious, just impossible to take seriously.

Anyone watch the opening Sarah Jane story? It was decent fun, the Judoon were really good again (one of the best new Who creations). Phil Ford still has Lucas syndrome though- he really needs to let someone more capable write his dialogue.

I figured they at least would as an expected Tennant blow-out I'm expecting before "The End of Time" finally airs over here. As for Stefan's comment, I know there are other ways to watch things like this I just wish I didn't have to resort to them.

Really good Sarah Jane this week, with a well crafted, emotional story. And K-9 is back full time! Next week is the big David Tennant/Doctor guest star story.

It's official that, like last year, this year's Children in Need will feature a preview of the Christmas special (part 1 of the 2 part RTD/Tennant finale), possibly the full pre-titles sequence like last year. Right now we're probably looking at the first or second Saturday in November for The Waters of Mars, finally!

I like how the Tardis interior is shaping up. From that tiny glimpse it looks like they are going to expand the current version (with stairs and a gantry?) rather than do a complete redesign from scratch. I approve of that approach.

Spring next year sees the release of the "Myths and Legends" DVD box set. For just fifty quid you can be the proud owner of Underworld, Horns of Nimon, and The Time Monster, all in the same boxset. What were they thinking?

They're thinking slap the crappy stories together in a box set to save production costs and hopefully drive up sales. :blink:

I've always wondered what would happen when they've gotten most of the stories released and there's only the crap on the bottom left. Personally I can't wait for the "Well, We Have to Release Them Eventually" boxset featuring The Mutants, The Creature from the Pit, and Paradise Towers.

Den of Geek has already seen The Wedding of Sarah Jane and has posted reviews: Part 1 Part 2. Apparently it's good. Really, really good.

About time! Looks like they wanted to begin the final push with the Doctor's appearance on Sarah Jane.

Speaking of which, is The Wedding of Sarah Jane Smith as good as advertised? Hell. Yes. Very emotional, continuity porn galore, and a nice hint for the Doctor's future. Oh, and Mr. Smith finally manages to open without that bloody fanfare. Twice.

Whoa, did anyone else catch the blatant rip of Giacchino's "Life and Death" theme from LOST just after the climax in SJA? The chord progression, instrumentation (piano and cello) and melody were virtually identical!

That aside, wonderful two-parter. Even though the Doctor is such an integral part of Sarah Jane's world he's nothing more than an observer and occasional assistant now, leaving her to take charge of her own situation (and show) without the need for him all the time. Between this, the upcoming specials and the phenomenal Children of Earth, it's a fantastic time to be a Whoniverse fan.

Whoa, did anyone else catch the blatant rip of Giacchino's "Life and Death" theme from LOST just after the climax in SJA? The chord progression, instrumentation (piano and cello) and melody were virtually identical!

At first I thought the score for Midnight was loaded with Lost rips, then after listening to it more I realized he was (very successfully) paying homage to the great horror scores of the past. It was even the score from Series 4 that was put up for a BAFTA nomination.

The main thing I noticed yesterday was during the scene in the TARDIS the first few notes of the Doctor Forever theme played, then broke off into something different completely. I wish it had gotten a full statement.

The main thing I noticed yesterday was during the scene in the TARDIS the first few notes of the Doctor Forever theme played, then broke off into something different completely. I wish it had gotten a full statement.

Perhaps it's something Murray Gold is going to use for the specials and it was just being used to set it up? ;)