• Battle Of The Heroes
    • Anakin vs. Obi-Wan
    • A New Hope and End Credits
    • Something else...

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, that's the same dopey link we've seen all day and even had it reported earlier that it was taking non-subscribers to a sign in page. So much ado about nothing.

And Sony Classical and Lucasfilm wonder why they have such a bad reputation around here. Maybe because we can never take them at their word. First the UE is not every note that Williams wrote, then AOTC with the bonus cue was for sale at Target and not Wal-Mart as they had been telling us and now this mess. It's already April 5 in many parts of the world.

Neil - who will now be surprised if this clip is even posted tonight

Well if this is the worst Sony screws up on this release I guess it'll be an improvement. And Neil, you forgot the re-release of the orignal trilogy that was supposed to be "digitally remastered". But I guess the screensavers worked okay. :roll:

Indeed it is. According to MF.com:

"The featured cue is 'Grievous speaks to Lord Sidious,' a rousing piece of adventurous music that accompanies General Grievous' flight to the sinkhole world of Utapau, where he makes holographic contact with his shadowy superior, Darth Sidious. The preview consists of 60 seconds of this new music."

And so there it is. One MFer is impressed. Another is annoyed that he waiting all day for 60 seconds of music.

Heard it!

The MFer's right, it's "rousing and militaristic." Sounds a bit like "Hook-Napped." Only thing I don't like is that the choir comes in Ringwraith-like near the end. There's no Sidious theme, in case you were wondering about that, based on the title.

If you want this music go here. This thread is not for requests, but for discussion. No one wants to weed through 40 requests to get to one post talking about the music.

I've heard it. I like it. I can't judge a thing though about this album though with only 90 seconds of music released so far. :)

Neil - who can't believe so many JWFans could be wrong (in regards to the poll)

Neil - who can't believe so many JWFans could be wrong (in regards to the poll)

I'll take credit for the only "Something Else" vote, but I thought it would be 30 seconds from each track. :)

That... is... awesome. Really. Wow... And I think there's at least one motif in there... Maybe a theme... Wow... I wish all action music were that good.

The clip is sitting on my desktop right now.I am strangely facinated by it's icon.Ok,..I'm excited and nervous at the same ..

It's a bit LOTR ish.I like it thought.I hoped to hear more of Battle of the Heroes though.Not bad for apperently random underscore.

K.M.

It seems Eastern European inspired, in a sort of "Terminal" kind of way, but much more evil. I heard Grievous speaks with an Easter European voice, so maybe Williams caught that.

Grievous is voiced by a sound editor. I'm not holding out hope for any kind of...dialect. :?

More thoughts on the cue...this music probably accompanies Grievous landing on a shuttle and walking out of it, or walking out of it (some sort of combination there). Sidious' theme probably appears later in this track. I hope so! It's sorely missing on the AotC album.

If you listen to it along with the extant clips of "Battle of the Heroes" (orchestral ringtone and TV commercial music), you definitely hear a score starting to take shape. There are some parallels between "Heroes" and "Grievous," though I don't have the ear to tell if they're sharing motifs....

It sure doesn't sound like talking music. If you want to hear talking music listen to AOTC.

I'd dispute that, but you know what...? Neil's optimistic! That's good enough for me. :)

OK, the first part sounds to me like what was described in the Hyperspace report as "sounds like the start of Belly of the Steel Beast from Last Crusade". But that was for the start of the cue where Obi-Wan leaves to follow Greivous to Upatu.

The chorus has to be part of a new theme. Any choir that actually spoke words from Williams I can ever remember hearing has been thematically based.

Definately sounds good. I'm going to try to not listen to it more than a few times though, and save it for when we have more. :)

I like it so far. I definitely has a dark militaristic motif much as the BotH, which makes sense seeing as this film will be thematically very similiar. The Grevious clip evokes the feeling of sweeping fly by shots intermixed with Grevious speaking to Sidious as he pilots a ship, which would explain its difference from the rather calmer talking music of AotC.

The BotH theme is also growing on me, though I'd like to hear more. Maybe they'll release more tracks as time moves on.

~Jedismurf

If "Belly of the Steel Beast" and "Call of the Champions" ever mated, it would sound like this clip.

Neil - who wonders what TPM or AOTC cue will replace this in the movie :)

I must say, I'm quite enjoying this clip. Nice string stuff at the beginning, and that horn line is GREAT - kind of a pompous, march-like little motif. And I do like the chorus....I don't think it sounds too much like LotR (it's too short-lived and seemingly purposeful for that), and I don't necessarily think it's part of a new theme. But that's impossible to know for now - I'm just enjoying it!

Ray Barnsbury

I still like it but it seems they didn't work too hard for to find this clip and just put some random underscore.It doesn't feel like a "big" moment.

K.M.

It might be the fun piece for Greivous that JW mentioned in the interview although the ending obviously wouldn't fit that. And he called it percussive, so I don't know. It is built more in a kind of rythmic sense as opposed to a strong melodic idea so that might be what he meant. I like it but its probably not very representative of what most of the score is going to sound like.

- Adam

It seems Eastern European inspired, in a sort of "Terminal" kind of way, but much more evil.

That struck me too, all the turns in the strings, etc, it feels like something that could have been written by a Russian composer 150 years ago. Awesome so far!

The choir is super, I would love to get to hear more of that end of the world, evil-doer choral stuff happening in this score. So neat from Williams.

It's silly that now Shore has the corner on "big dramatic choir" since using the heck out of it (maybe overusing) in a hyped trilogy.

This has an epic feel, as LOTR did, as it should. But I don't feel it as being associated with LOTR at all, just because it uses that type of choir.

Epic, classic, dramatic. As far as the horn theme, I like the first 20 seconds the best. That seems to be a statement of that theme encapsulated. (At least for what we've gotten so far)

Anyone notice 0:14-0:17...heard that somewhere before I believe... :)

Excited to hear the rest now, this is impressive.

Greta

Good ears...

The main melody to this cue is indeed very similar to a cue from the Harry Potter films. (Hedwig's Theme). Below is a comparison of the melody from this Grevious cue, and the melody from Hedwig's Theme.

E3_HP_Compare.jpg

Both melodies are heard initally in E minor, and share almost the same melodic range. The sections marked in red are note-for-note identical until the end of the phrase, where the Ep3 cue extends a whole step higher before continuing to the concert G and then to the root. (For sake of reading, both cues are presented here in concert pitch, with all accidentals marked, no articulations).

You can also see the extreme similarities in stepwise motion. All in all, these are melodies similar enough to have easily been found together in the same cue. They share not only notes and harmonic progression, but they're similar in spirit as well.

I don't present this to undermine either cue; they're both modern-day Williams, and nobody should be surprised by their similarities. Interesting, though, huh?

_Mike

You know what: I LIKE IT!

In the end it's only a preview of what is likely to be a secondary track. It's a teaser for the score and a teaser never shows the best parts.

I don't know what the guys at www.starwars.com have in store for Star Wars fans from this point on.

Many have compared this to Harry Potter (over at various Star Wars boards), some to Lord Of The Rings.

It will only take time before someone in here finds out that this cue is actually a hidden variation of The Emperor's Theme!

The piece rules - I like it the way I like the early half of 'Chase Through Coruscant' - such confident rhythmic writing. But the Harry Potter inclusion is strange. Hasn't this series got enough themes of its own?

And rightfully so (see above).

I don't agree. Just because it may have four or five similar notes (same modulation, same sequence) still doesn't make this piece a COPY of Harry Potter. I have the feeling some now percieve the two compositions as IDENTICAL based on really a little fragment from both pieces.

A little overblown.

By the way: Mike Verta! Just saw your site (www.mikeverta.com)! That music your wrote for Forbidden Warrior....AMAZING!!!!!

Welcome here!!!

I don't care how harry potter-ish or whatever other theme is sounds like, I like it. It's only 60 minutes, but I can't get enough of this! The cd can't come soon enough...

This is the full que list (not all the tracks were listed on the homepage for some reason). I read somewhere before that there were 59 cues being recorded. I counted my list and I got 61 (but 1M1 and 1M2 are not new cues so that would bring it down to 59)

1M1 - Fox Fanfare (old recording)

1M2 - Star Wars Main Theme (old recording)

1M3 - Boys into Battle

1M3r- ????????????????????????????

1M4 - They're Coming Around

1M4a- Get 'em, R-2

1M5 - The Elevator Scene

1M6 - Count Dooku's Entrance

1M7 - The Death of Dooku

1M8 - ????????????????????????????

2M1 - <no title>

2M2 - ????????????????????????????

2M3 - Another Happy Landing

2M4 - Revisiting Padme

2M5 - Grievous Travels to Palpatine

2M6 - Scenes and Dreams

2M7 - Be Careful of Your Friend

3M1 - Council Meeting

3M2 - Hold Me

3M2a- Palpatine's TV Set

3M3 - Palpatine's Big Pitch

3M4 - ????????????????????????????

3M5 - Good-Bye, Old Friend

3M6 - Going to Utapau

3M7 - Riding the Lizard

3M8 - Obi-Wan Fares [sic] Droids

4M1x- Drawing Swords

4M1a- Good Guys Arrive

4M2 - ????????????????????????????

4M3 - Palpatine's Seduction

4M4 - Rolling with Grievous

4M4a- Fighting with Grievous

4M5 - Dialogue with Mace

4M5a- Padme's Ruminations

4M6 - I Am the Senate

5M1 - Palpatine Instructs Anakin

5M2 - ????????????????????????????

5M3 - Lament

5M3a- Bail's Escape

5M4 - Swimming, Droids, and Yoda Farewell

5M5 - News of the Attack

5M6 - Moving Things Along

5M7 - Anakin's Dark Deeds

6M1 - It Can't Be

6M2 - A Moody Trip

6M3 - Padme's Visit

6M4 - Heroes Collide

6M5 - **Choir Only**

6M6 - Yoda Falls

6M7 - The Boys Continue

6M8 - Rev. Yoda to Exile

6M9 - Revenge of the Sith

7M1 - The Immolation Scene

7M2 - Anakin Crawling

7M3 - The Birth of the Twins

7M4 - The Death of Padme

7M5 - Plans for the Twins

7M6 - Padme's Funeral

7M7 - A Home for the Twins

7M8 - End Credits

0M0 - Revenge of the Sith (DVD version)

I liked it.

And as someone said over at MF, it's clear the announcements are what's supposed to make us go nuts over this. In the end, it just seems like a random 60 seconds plucked off the soundtrack. But I think we can expect the music video of BotH to arrive on the OS soon, as the video for AtS and DoF did.

- Marc

Mmmm i think detractors will say Williams has hacked Shore, but to each their own...

I cant believe Neil likes it.

Now im really excited for this score :thumbup:

Luke, who hopes he doesnt have to change his opinion when he sees the movie...

Its me, or are you all calling a 4-5 note piece to be a cut 'n' paste thing?