Anyone feel bad for Williams?

krosstj

Ok, the guy has Millions, the guy has scored a bazillion movies. However, I kinda feel bad that his last Score for Starwars is a Critical failure and that most fans also see it as his weakest score. NOW, I've not heard the entire score(I.E. the music left out of the album) but, well, I just sorta feel bad that this is the way it has to end. I wonder what he "REALLY" thinks of it. Was he at his piano going, man this is not my best stuff, but I have a deadline. Or was he like, this is some good Shizzle my minizzle. Seriously, I wonder.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

However, I kinda feel bad that his last Score for Starwars is a Critical failure and that most fans also see it as his weakest score.

The score for Episode III is not a critical failure, neither do most fans see it as his weakest score.

I would disagree with you Roald, many critics see it as a failure, and many fans who are now brownie fans would realize that this is his weakest score.

I agree with Roald,i for one feels this score is extremely good.Maybe not in a style that most star wars fan appreciate,but i'm sure it will match the movie perfectly.I think the orchestrations on this score are fantastic,and the action underscore cues are nothing but pure genious.

I can't see yet where it has failed

Richard

nah i don't feel bad for him. it's not the money, or anythign like you say but cmon, his music is essentially timeless, his job is exactly what he loves to do. When he dies he'll have lived a life to be envied. The ROTS score is a disappointment in some ways yeah, but again i stick with what others have said that you really should wait to see the movie b4 judging the score.

I think what your saying is you feel bad that the score didn't live up to your personal expectations for a final trilogy score. Without seeing the movie, it's hard to say whether the ROTS album perfectly fits the movie, maybe it's not what we're expecting but maybe it's fitting for the action onscreen.

WAIT, TIME OUT...I never said "I" the great KrossTJ saw it as a failure, I'm waiting to see it with the film, while the "leaked" music from the album did not have alot of Thematic presence, I find its orchestrations (SP?) to be wonderful, and I find it yet again to be a graceful score by Williams, I'll pass judgment however, when I see it with the film. I do however read many msg boards and I see that alot of people are a bit disapointed, but like I always say his job is too serve the film not the fans. BUT, critics have also said, many of them...when I have time I'll start collecting sites....that, this score is the weakest link in the series.

I do however read many msg boards and I see that alot of people are a bit disapointed

Don't worry, the same things happened with TPM and AOTC :)

John Williams' work for Revenge of the Sith is not what the critics were expecting, but it is not a failure.

He always made unexpected and surprising scores :

- for Star Wars, a big brass orchestra for a science-fiction movie.

- for Jaws, just a two-notes melody as a heart beat.

- for Artificial Intelligence, a very mature score, probably the most unexpected for me.

I am really enthusiastic by Revenge of the Sith score, I listen to it in loop and it is greater and greater !

Now, wait for the movie, I am sure it will perfectly suits it ROTFLMAO and that a lot of people will change their mind !

This score is so much better than AOTC, so don't give us your

Or was he like, this is some good Shizzle my minizzle.  

trash crap like this. John would never lower himself to such gutter trash statements. And since you've not heard the score, and since you've obviously not read the reviews, otherwise you'd see how foolish your post is(as most are giving it 4 out of 5, hardly failure material), you'd understand why your point is invalid.

This score is not a failure. Like with the films, people set their expectations unreasonably high and by the time the third has come around, people think they know what to expect, and what it should sound like, and based on the previous two films being disappointments, some have already made up their mind about this film and score. I think it's a terrific score, the best of the three prequel OSTs. That's all I can say right now. I do know that there are several unreleased cues and lots of music in this score we still have yet to hear. These films are wall to wall music, and if John has written an complete score this time (unlike with AOTC), then there should be at least forty minutes of unreleased score. And for those who think the "best" stuff is on the OSTs, I entirely disagree. These soundtracks attempt to provide a balanced listening experience and sometimes they'll leave off some of the most rousing cues or brilliant thematic references. It's hard to do, to have an album stand on its own feet without going too far into thematic quoting. It must have been hard to narrow two hours of music to a seventy minute album. I am confident that the complete score will not disappoint. I would have loved for more music here, but as far as an OST Star Wars CD, I think it's really good, and just like the last two albums, it is not a perfect represenation of the entire score.

Ted

Was he at his piano going, man this is not my best stuff, but I have a deadline.

What deadline? He's had six years since Phantom Menace to come up with some music for this, he also has a wealth of material from the OT to expand upon or fall back on.

Jeff

Didn't Speilberg tell John that he thought it was his best work yet, and that he hopes he will save something for WOTW?

That's a pretty big compliment to say.

I, for one, have not heard a note from the score (let alone the preview clips) and will not hear it until it's released on 5/3. I will then listen to it, and judge it for what it is on cd. It'll be different in the film.

Didn't Speilberg tell John that he thought it was his best work yet, and that he hopes he will save something for WOTW?  

no John, that was a fake quote I made up, sorry, though we all wanted it to be true.

no John, that was a fake quote I made up, sorry, though we all wanted it to be true.

Oh man, now I will defiantely hate this score.

:)

Yes, this is the worst score that Williams has ever written.

Perhaps Billy Joel should've written the music.

PERSONALLY, I think that the Revenge of the Sith score is definitely the best score of the PT, and it´s also much better than ROTJ if you ask me.

And to the following:

and that most fans also see it as his weakest score

As far as i know most of the Star Wars-fans didn´t even hear the Soundtrack for Episode III...sure, it can be found on the internet, yes, but only if you´re really looking for it, and except for soundtrack lovers (like we are) most of the Fans haven´t really been looking for it...so i guess we´ll have to wait until May 2nd at least...

Yes this:

and that most fans also see it as his weakest score.

I've read the Jedi council forums (or whatever they are) about sountrack. Men, they are jerking off on this music!! At least first 50 pages of the thread, I stop reading it after...

We don´t want you to keep your mouth shut, but we´re just not sharing your opinion. That, however, does not mean we don´t want to hear different opinions, otherwise we wouldn´t be visiting messageboards :mrgreen:

Time will have to tell. Concencuses have a tendency to change in film music (I know there's know word Concencuses, but I don't feel like spending the time to figure out a correct sentence, I'd much rather post this coda).

Anyone who proclaims this score a failure based on 128 KBPS mp3's and without hearing the rest of it has no further credibility in my book.

What the guy with the pic of Picard flipping someone off said.

In future please stick to something we can understand. I don't think any of us have access to an English-Gibberish dictionary. Or care to.

;)

I bet he said exactly that. LOL

I see where you're coming from, KrossTJ, and I kinda agree. I don't find the score to be disappointing at all, though, but that's just me.

~Sturgis

No one will know whether the ROTS score is a failure until they've seen the film.

I refuse to listen to the score first; I'm going to see the film, and then go and buy the CD...

I don't care about popular opinion. The 3 prequel scores are solid and wonderful. AOTC is not a weak point. I can't wait to hear the rest of the music in the film, and I will be very happy if they release the complete scores.

I ignore Padme's Ruminations, which is the low point of the entire saga. I have a version that fades in when the orchestral 2nd half begins. Its a great cue without the first half.

Aside from that, ROTS connects very well with ROTJ. The underscoring in both films is very similar. I very much enjoy this style.

If I want to gripe about something that Williams has done, it will be "Banning Back Home" or "Garrison Family Theme". Williams has written tritely in some past scores, but I don't hear triteness here. I hear orchestral weight.

Banning Back Home

is better than anything in

AOTC

Joe, actually complimenting Hook, the end times are near.

Nixon is actually better than ROTS. Honestly.

So do I have any pity for Johnny? Not on your life, baby. Though it wouldn't stop me throwing a few rotten tomatoes at him if he ever plays the Barbican again. Or do I have to go to Tanglewood this time?

Hitch, who voted for Tricky Dick. Twice!

Banning Back Home  

is better than anything in Quote:  

AOTC  

And with that statement, Jeshopk imagined Joe boppin along in his car to "yuppie sounds." Jazz flute vs. Star Wars music... And he chose the jazz flute.

Jesse,

who due to this statement will now take all of Joe's opinions with a grain of salt.

actually its what a lamb says,

Jesse, are you taking the above statement with a grain of salt.

how about Superman is a great great score.

Star Wars is one of John's signature scores, it help cement him as the greatest film composer of this generation. :joke: