In which genre should JW do more scores?

25 members have voted

1. 1.

• Children
    • War
    • Horror
    • Comedy
    • Western
    • Super Heroes

For example, I think the last horror movie he scored was The Fury in 1978. Or all the Spielberg kids movies which were scored by James Horner (Casper, Balto, American Tail 1+2,...), but never by John Williams. ;)

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure which one I'd pick above all others, but I'd definitely like to hear an animated children's score by Williams (a la The Land Before Time), some more Westerns, and even another super hero score.

Ray Barnsbury

how about more family/social dramas, ala Angela's Ashes, and Stepmom, people do love to listen to that type of score.

and I love to see him do a low budget horror movie, (yes I believe that Jaws and JP are "horror" films, but they were never designed as horror films).

What about musicals? He and Spielberg were going to try with "Hook." I think they should give it another go.

Of the ones on the list, I think he'd give us some good comedy scores.

Neil, I LOVE your signature. It took me a couple of minutes to type this post because I couldn't stop laughing.

SuperHeroe,or any excuse for a new memorable heroic theme

K.M.

Normally I'd agree, but I think the whole superhero genre is in need of a nice break. It's just about been overkilled the last few years.

Personally I'd love to hear a Williams score for a big animated feature, musical or no, and horror after that.

Well... Here's the way I look at it. If Harry Potter and Hook are considered children's movies... then I say bring on the kids. E.T. was one too. Home Alone... That's another. Children's movies, good ones, bring out some great writing in John. So yeah. Seeing his take on "Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe" would have been very interesting.

I agree with Ray and John about an animated film. That's a genre where music is very important. It would be a different kind of opportunity and I'd like to see how he approaches that. Just about anything would be great, though. Even when he practically scored the same movie twice (Home Alone 2) he still gave us a lot of great stuff so I'm rarely disappointed by his decisions.

- Adam

I went with a children's score....as Adam said, music is a huge part of animated films in particular (hold the AotC jokes, please :(), and they typically allow a composer to work with a full orchestral pallette of orchestration and theme. And if E.T., Harry Potter, and Home Alone are considered children's scores, then all the more reason for him to revisit the genre.

Ray Barnsbury

I'd really like to hear John Williams score an all-out horror film. No horror-ish adventure (like Jaws or JP) but a real, gritty horror movie.

Who knows, WotW may contain some horror elements, but again it's more of an epic.

oh thank goodness it wasn't, he doesn't need to touch that film.

I'd really like to hear John Williams score an all-out horror film. No horror-ish adventure (like Jaws or JP) but a real, gritty horror movie.

Hear, hear!

Marian - who does not have to repeat his thoughts on The Fury. :folder:

:angry: Con Passione (Mark McKenzie)

A blood-soaked action film of the Rambo/Terminator/Die Hard kind.

John has never scored a film that's all about explosions, testosterone, blood and bodycounts.

I'd love to hear a Terminator score by JW!

To be more realistic, I'd choose comedy/action movies like Indy.

• 2 weeks later...

He's just wrapped up SW and probably won't score another HP film, I don't think he'll start on another epic saga, but I might be wrong.

A modern horror score would be an interesting contrast to Jaws and The Fury. Plus an animation would be nice, though it pisses me off that they don't make any standard animation films anymore.