What is the last score you listened to?

HPFAN_2

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I the only one at this board who does not have (neither own, copy, nor download) a single score by James Newton Howard?

It appears so. :lol:

Officially I don't either. A while back my VP, a huge JNH fan, sent me a very large "sampler", probably about 2 discs worth. I enjoyed a decent amount of what I heard, but honestly not enough to run out and start buying JNH scores. Kinda the same place I'm at with Silvestri and Elfman.

I'm not as much of a fan of JNH's Disney scores as some, they tend to be a little too mickey-mousey at times (no way...), although they do have some wonderfully emotional moments and the odd spectacular thematic outburst that I find myself playing repeatedly. Dinosaur is probably my favourite of the four with some wonderful quieter moments, Peter Pan my least favorite - I've seen the movie and it didn't demand anything very 'serious', although it's still good.

My only problem with his action music is that sometimes it's a little too.. obvious. The orchestra sometimes doesn't quite mesh together, like you can hear an instrument coming in clearly when maybe it could be a bit smoother. Not sure how else to put it.

I agree that his forte is drama/thriller. I love it when he gets to compose quieter, more introspective scores such as the Village, Signs, Snow Falling on Cedars etc, or just straight dramas that don't have an overly sentimental or sugary feel to them, like Prince of Tides. My favourite JNH score by far at the moment is The Water Horse. It's pretty much pure fantasy, with so many moments of plain beauty and places where you can literally feel the orchestra. Swimming for example, I consider a 6 minute masterpiece, with so many twists and turns, which then explodes with one hell of a theme (although The Jump nearly beats that IMO, and it's impossible for me to listen to without air conducting). In fact I hum the 'loch' theme more than any other theme by any other composer at the moment.

My last listen was The Mummy 3. I've managed to look past the synth padding - I think there's some great stuff in this, even if I thought the movie was rubbish. I'd actually say it's a more entertaining score than the other two, with Rick's new theme and the piano theme nearly driving me mad.

With regards to JNH's action scoring, that's actually one of the aspects of his scores I think is often the most impressive. It's all very structured and focused, and very often thrilling. I've heard people make comparisons between his action music and Goldsmith's, though I'm not knowledgeable enough to do so, and these days I like that style better than most of Williams' technically dazzling but often non-descript and directionless action scoring. The Waterhorse has some of his best to date in the last few cues.

Atlantis: The Lost Empire

by James Newton Howard

Decent score, but it's non-thematic, much like Treasure Planet. Pretty standard music throughout. "Atlantis" is my favorite cue.

Non-thematic? :lol: There are several themes in both scores. And you don't exactly have to scrutinize these scores in minute detail to find them.

Well I didn't catch any. If you can point them out, I'd appreciate it.

Treasure Planet

Main Theme: "12 Years Later" (2:16), "To the Spaceport" (1:14), "The Launch" (1:28)

Silver's Theme: "The Launch" (2:18), "Silver Leaves" (0:11)

Jim's Theme: "Silver Comforts Jim" (2:05), "Silver Leaves" (1:27)

(I'm guessing on the names of the last two since I haven't seen the film, but they're recurring themes for sure)

I'll get some for Atlantis a little later, if no one else does first.

Atlantis: The Lost Empire

by James Newton Howard

Decent score, but it's non-thematic, much like Treasure Planet. Pretty standard music throughout. "Atlantis" is my favorite cue.

A great score. My favorite is "The City of Atlantis."

Sleepy Hollow by Danny Elfman. Gothic, romantic, furious, thematic. Elfman at his best although the action music in this score is so furious and relentless you really have to be in the mood for some heavy and dramatic orchestral mayhem to listen to it all the way through. The composer really gets every imaginable nuance out of his theme and submotifs. You rarely hear so savage yet elegant horror scoring. One of my favourite Elfman scores.

Agreed. Another fantastic score.

Signs and Lady in the Water are the only scores that are better than TP, and I own 4 of the others on your list.

You don't like The Village?

I like it, but not as much as Signs, Lady, Treasure Planet, etc. It still is very good.

I have heard very good things about Snow Falling On Cedars, however, is that one worth it?

Yes, it's probably one of my top ten favorite JNH scores, possibly even five. I'm listening to it right now and it's superb. If you like Signs, The Village, and The Sixth Sense... well, this is all of those wrapped up in one. Honestly though, the End Credits cue is probably the only thing you need from the score. It sums everything up quite well. Try and find some sound clips.

This is the review of the score on Amazon. It made me laugh.

Thanks to the success of pioneering musician-scorers like Hans Zimmer, the symbiosis of traditional orchestral tones with synthesized electronic elements has become one of film-scoring's most popular working methods. The underlying reasons, however, haven't been always been particularly altruistic; a music software program doesn't have to work for scale. Composer James Newton Howard's score for director Scott Hick's telling of novelist David Guterson's interracial soap opera cum murder mystery is one of the best of the new genre, a seamless sonic wedding of the orchestral/choral/electronic, replete with appropriate ethnic instrumentation (is it real or is it Microsoft?). It's music that ranges dreamily from delicate flute passages and ethereal choral work to understated solo cello and percussive flourishes. This is what New Age music should sound like. --Jerry McCulley

Snow Falling On Cedars

by James Newton Howard

Unbreakable by James Newton Howard

It's a good score, but I don't give it the praise like some do here. The main theme is the only thing I really like.

The Sixth Sense by James Newton Howard

A great score, with some very nice cues.

"The Lost World: Jurassic Park"

I really like the score (and the film, which no one seems to enjoy). However, I purchased the score used, and as a result of the previous owner's negligence, Tracks Two and Three are unplayable. Also, is there a Steven Spielberg paragraph somewhere? I cannot find one (though I did discover that I am easly amused by the folding dinosaurs).

Lady In The Water by James Newton Howard

An amazing score. I remember a friend sending me the score when it came out, before I could buy it myself. I listened to the Prologue and said "Eh. It's not as good as his previous Shyamalan scores." I was dead wrong. This is top-notch, grade A stuff.

I definitely agree that the score displays John Williams' finest use of percussion. But there is no "insert"? I find that highly unusual... and suspect.

2007_ratatouille_028.jpg

Highly Suspect. He knows...things.

I'm not as much of a fan of JNH's Disney scores as some, they tend to be a little too mickey-mousey at times (no way...), although they do have some wonderfully emotional moments and the odd spectacular thematic outburst that I find myself playing repeatedly. Dinosaur is probably my favourite of the four with some wonderful quieter moments, Peter Pan my least favorite - I've seen the movie and it didn't demand anything very 'serious', although it's still good.

Howard's Peter Pan isn't a Disney movie.

So it is finished, then (my browser does not allow me to see the image, by the way).

Wait a minute, I'm the leader, I say when it's the end.

It's the end.

Which is why I laugh when Disney uses it in their commercials.

Which is why I laugh when Disney uses it in their commercials.

Hey, whether it was written for Disney or not, it works fantastically in the Disneyland commercials.

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Inspired by (and perhaps in defiance of?) a negative comment or two in the KOTCS LP thread, I decided to put this on. Strapped for time, I did skip the

"Kingdom of the Crystal Skull Suite," as I like to call the first four tracks, but I listened to and loved the rest.

I really don't get the hatred--dislike? Perhaps. Last place among the Indy scores? Sure. But the utter dismissal I see this score receiving from some of the members here is beyond my comprehension. I wonder how many times the haters have tried to listen to it. For me, it just keeps getting better. I appreciate "A Whirl Through Academe" a LOT more now than when I first heard it--I actually like it quite a bit. Call me crazy, but I also like cues like "Oxley's Dilemma" (or more specifically "Oxley's Cell," in my chrono edit that I listened to), and all of that underscore is revealing little touches I hadn't caught before. You know what? I'm even getting a neat vibe from the score. It's only been a few months, so I'm definitely gonna give this another year or five or ten to fully sink in, but I'm actually getting a vibe from it AND my memories of the film. It's like I'm realizing their places in the series even as I type now. It's a very cool feeling, and I really can't wait for the DVD.

Anyway, I digress. I have to join John Crichton in the Russian/Dovchenko theme love. It's just really nice--I particularly love the final outburst of a variation of it in the end credits at 4:46. Interestingly, I've also been humming Courage's Russian theme from Superman IV a lot lately. Wouldn't it be loverly to get some concert suites for these? The Williams/Courage Russian Recordings. Man, I'd dig it.

My admiration for "The Jungle Chase" continues also--I want the whole thing so badly, but what we have is quite good--I love those menacing statements of Irina's theme in the first half. Great stuff.

This is just a wonderful score all around. Is it the same rich, massively classic score that the first three is? Not exactly...but it is great, and...man, I'm getting that vibe. Who knows what the years or the mileage can bring?

:thumbup:

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire:

It's a solid score, with some great highlights ("Story Continues," "Harry in Winter," "Voldemort"). It is easily the weakest Potter score, however. I really enjoy the variations of Hedwig's Theme, Doyle took it to a new level. But at the same time it maintains the Potter sounds with cues like "Rita Skeeter." And I could do without the grunting men in "Quidditch World Cup," but other than that it's a solid cue (though it does sound rather MVish). 3.25/5 stars

Hey, whether it was written for Disney or not, it works fantastically in the Disneyland commercials.

That might have something to do with the fact that parts of Howard's Peter Pan sound an awful lot like parts of Gavin Greenaway's music for Epcot's Millennium Celebration.

It is easily the weakest Potter score, however.

You really think so? I thought Hooper's score had its highlights ("Professor Umbridge" being very Williams-like), but I think Doyle's score is stronger overall.

I agree. I don't get the (relative) dislike for Doyle's Goblet of Fire. Of course, I'm a Doyle fan, so maybe I'm biased.

Well I think that OotP is a masterpiece or a near masterpiece (I'm listening to it right now, once I finish I'll decide). It is just fantastic, within the same league of SS and PoA, and better than CoS.

I'd be curious to know what makes it a masterpiece, or near masterpiece, rather than just a personal favorite of yours. While I enjoy a fair amount of it, there's nothing I'd call masterful.

Perhaps I was overstating it with a masterpiece. A near one, for certain.

And my basis for what a masterpiece is is something I enjoy immensley. Obviously if it's unique or different I'll consider it to be higher, but my main rating is based on the enjoyment level I get from listening to it. So a personal favorite is pretty much the same thing as a masterpiece for me.

You really think so? I thought Hooper's score had its highlights ("Professor Umbridge" being very Williams-like), but I think Doyle's score is stronger overall.

I agree. I don't get the (relative) dislike for Doyle's Goblet of Fire. Of course, I'm a Doyle fan, so maybe I'm biased.

We must petition Doyle to return for DH.

We must petition Doyle to return for DH.

I'd be fine with that, fo sho.

Well I think that OotP is a masterpiece or a near masterpiece (I'm listening to it right now, once I finish I'll decide). It is just fantastic, within the same league of SS and PoA, and better than CoS.

I'm all for opinions, but this one is trifling at best.

I thought Doyle was interesting up until Gosford Park or so. His '90s work is generally first-rate.

'The Mission' by John Williams: One of the least talked about Williams' scores. And maybe there's a reason for this.

It's no great shakes, for sure, but i rather liked the 'flying' theme and some of the cues are charming in this old-fashioned mid-80s Williams style. The triplets in the pen-ultimate action track are a clear predecessor to 'Last Crusade's' tank cues.

Perhaps I was overstating it with a masterpiece. A near one, for certain.

And my basis for what a masterpiece is is something I enjoy immensley. Obviously if it's unique or different I'll consider it to be higher, but my main rating is based on the enjoyment level I get from listening to it. So a personal favorite is pretty much the same thing as a masterpiece for me.

That word gets thrown around far too much on these boards for my liking. I consider a masterpiece the epitome artform and style; a complete package of enjoyment, complexity and originality. Very few artists have more than one masterpiece - I'd say Williams has two or three that I would consider masterful (say, Empire Strikes Back, E.T and... something), with the rest ranging from average to outstanding - but not quite a masterpiece. I'd call Shore's Lord of the Rings his magnum opus, and Return of the King his masterpiece.

I also don't have to particularly enjoy a score to consider it a masterpiece (and that works the other way). My current favourite scores (Medal of Honor: Airborne and The Last Stand) are far from masterful, but I just love listening to them.

I'd call Hooper's Order of the Phoenix a fun listen and good in the film. But for me it's nothing more than good. Not great, not outstanding and certainly not a masterpiece.

Not to diss your opinion. But if you really thought about it - and ALL the scores you've listened to - you'd be calling half of them masterpieces if you just liked listening to them.

I'd call Hooper's Order of the Phoenix a fun listen and good in the film. But for me it's nothing more than good. Not great, not outstanding and certainly not a masterpiece.

It wasn't even that. There were several highly dramatic scenes especially in the second part of the film...the music there seemed like an asthmatic dog trying to catch up with a sausage tied to a fast-driving car.

I was highly critical of the smug first score but in retrospect, Williams even in his most 'been there, done that'-style at least knows how to improve the film dramatically.

'The Mission' by John Williams: One of the least talked about Williams' scores. And maybe there's a reason for this.

It's one of Williams best scores . For me it's the pinnacle of his 80's writing , despite beeing short . It is like the natural evolution of Raiders ,E.T. and Temple of Doom. Jonathan Begins to Draw and The Landing is an even better action set piece cue than Truck Chase from Raiders.

It is also what you describe as Williams "been there done that" style that is his best of all ,and should never be called that.He can write as many scores in that style and I'll be happy

Fitting into that category:

E.T.

Amazing Stories

Spacecamp

Hook

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

I listened to The Mission once and I was kind of disappointed. In a way, I think of it as a "generic" Williams. Like some (few) of his scores, it's perfectly written, but lacks 'that something' that could capture my attention or make me feel shivers. I really tried to be enthusiastic about it, but I simply couldn't, even during that Landing cue.

EDIT: Regarding the scores mentioned by KM, I also think the same of HPaPS. Except the main themes, that score just doesn't excite me in any way.

It is also what you describe as Williams "been there done that" style that is his best of all ,and should never be called that.He can write as many scores in that style and I'll be happy

If you got your will, Willliams would be the Bob Hope of film composers. The same jokes repeated for over 100 years with an appreciative audience of people either too deaf or too senile to care.