What is the last score you listened to?

HPFAN_2

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gremlins.

Goldsmith never missed a beat on Joe Dante's films, and this score is a wonderful example of his ability to capture not only the menace and terror of the creatures, but is also to contrast it with a lighter whimsy that signals danger, but allows you to have fun with it at the same time.

The use of the vocoder simulating the gremlins' screams, calls and voices is remarkably clever, and I can't leave out the "Gremlin Rag", what an iconic piece of music! Gizmo's Theme is absolutely gorgeous in all its variations, and I have a particular liking for the music scoring the scene where Billy uses his dad's juicing machine invention, cute stuff.

Empire of the Sun. The score as a whole never did much for me, despite "Jims New Life" and the concert versions of "Cadillac of the Skies" and "Exultate Justi" being gorgeous pieces. The rest of the score I find dull.

Empire of the Sun. The score as a whole never did much for me, despite "Jims New Life" and the concert versions of "Cadillac of the Skies" and "Exultate Justi" being gorgeous pieces. The rest of the score I find dull.

I find the original version of "Cadillac of the Skies" to be much better than the concert one.

I find the original version of "Cadillac of the Skies" to be much better than the concert one.

The original version is purposed. The concert piece is just a gathering of the most tonal, accessible music from the score. It does not represent everything Empire of the Sun is really about.

Ratatouille.

I really love this score. Quite a bit better than Incredibles, IMHO. Awesome song, too.

I love that song, too.

Personally, I prefer The Incredibles to Ratatouille (film and score alike), but they're both terrific. I'm glad Giacchino is returning to Pixar for Up.

The Movies by Daniel Pemberton

Fun stuff. I think I sent out the Indy homage to a few members.

Body Of Lies by Marc Streitenfeld

I listened to this like 7 times. Excellent stuff, Stretienfeld is now my favorite upcoming composer. He's 3 for 3. I can easily say this is one of the best scores of the year, and one that I enjoy more and have already listened to more than KOTCS.

The Alamo by Dimitri Tiomkin

Great western score. I particularly love the Overture and Main Titles, the rest of it has a little too much dialogue and singing for my tastes.

BioShock by Garry Schyman

A pretty good score. Only 17 minutes long, but very enjoyable.

Air Force One, Congo, and Rudy by Jerry Goldsmith

I was already familiar with the first two, but Rudy is freakin' awesome! Goldsmith binge commence.

Godzilla: Symphonic Concert - 40th Anniversary.

Conducted by Masaru Satoh.

Live performance of Akira Ifukube's themes from the series is beautifully performed, and I can't get over how wonderful the "Symphonic Fantasia" is, being a concert arranged collection of almost every theme and military march Ifukube had composed for the series at that point.

I'd say this would probably suit any casual fan not interested in seeking out the old Futureland releases or the new expensive Perfect Collection releases, because it's new performances that actually sound true to the original sound and orchestrations of the film scores themselves - in fact, they even sound more beefed up here. Much better than the rather shoddy Varese re-recordings on the Monster Mania album, but one might also want to seek out the GNP Crescendo and Silva Screen compilations as well, since they actually have the original recordings.

Home Alone Ah what a nostalgic Christmas score full of holiday spirit and fun. Williams really captures both the bumbling humor and action of the bad guys VS Kevin and the warmth of Christmas time with such ease.

I'd say this would probably suit any casual fan not interested in seeking out the old Futureland releases or the new expensive Perfect Collection releases

Cool, I just found this recently.

I've listened to a lot during my ban:

Home Alone 2: Lost in New York (OST):

A great score, though a bit unoriginal at times. While generally I dislike the mickey mousing in this score, I really like the part where Kevin dials 911, accompanied by "Into the Park" (0:04). "Christmas Star" is great, as is "Arrival in New York." 3.25/5 stars

Home Alone 2: Lost in New York Deluxe Edition:

Great to have all this extra music. I love "Angels with Filthy Souls II" and "Turtle Doves." The alternates are nice to have, also. I really like the instrumental new arrangments of the two concert versions, but it seems like the choirs used men and women this time. I think that for this type of music, it sounds better with the higher voices. I'm glad "Christmas Star" was done that way. 3.25/5 stars

Hook:

A masterpiece by JW. It is so fantastically fun, so generally awesome, I love it. But the songs are pretty bad (though I like the actual melody of "When You're All Alone"). 5/5 stars

The Hunchback of Notre Dame:

Menken's finest score. "Out There" and "Bells of Notre Dame" are highlights, but the rest of the score is awesome as well. While none of the purely instrumental tracks is better than "Farewell" from Pocahontas, as a whole the instrumental bits are the strongest for any Menken score I've heard. "Sanctuary" is pretty intense for a Disney film. I love it. One thing that bugs me (and this goes for all Menken cues) is that he can come up with fantastic cues/songs, but always ends them with just one "dum" and they're over. He is the best at writing the most unsatisfactory endings to cues. Despite that, I still give this score 5/5 stars

I Am Legend:

A very good score. The main theme is incredibly moving, my favorite cues are "Evacuation" and "I'm Listening." 3.25/5 stars

The Illusionist:

A beautiful, beautiful score. I love "The Orange Tree," as well as "Meeting in the Carriage" and "Life in the Mountains." I admit it's not as fantastic as I remember, but it still is great. Very repetitive, but very good. 4/5 stars

While this score is not totally listenable, it is the epitome of uniquness in any score I've heard. "Dogs, Ponies and Old Ruins" is the only really tonal cue, and I love it. The rest is rather interesting. Easily the most unique score I own. 3/5 stars

The Incredibles:

Another great score. Giacchino's finest (though I've only heard 3 of his). "The Incredits," "Life's Incredible Again," and "Kronos Unveiled" are the best cues. MG has perfectly imitated the old fashioned sound, in a brilliant way. But to be honest, this is the only MG score that I would really consider in league with JW's good ones (though it isn't even close to the really good ones). 4/5 stars

Independence Day:

This is an overated score for an overrated film, IMO. The score is far from bad, it's actually quite good, but it is not the fantastic piece of awesome that many claim it to be. I do love "International Code," "The Day We Fight Back," "Jolly Roger," and "End Titles." I love the love theme (which sounds a lot like that from Cutthroat Island). So it's a very good score, but nothing more. 3.5/5 stars

Conducted by Masaru Satoh.

Live performance of Akira Ifukube's themes from the series is beautifully performed, and I can't get over how wonderful the "Symphonic Fantasia" is, being a concert arranged collection of almost every theme and military march Ifukube had composed for the series at that point.

I'd say this would probably suit any casual fan not interested in seeking out the old Futureland releases or the new expensive Perfect Collection releases, because it's new performances that actually sound true to the original sound and orchestrations of the film scores themselves - in fact, they even sound more beefed up here. Much better than the rather shoddy Varese re-recordings on the Monster Mania album, but one might also want to seek out the GNP Crescendo and Silva Screen compilations as well, since they actually have the original recordings.

I have the Varese album and it is rather poor.

I have the Symphonic Concert album as well. Is this the first time you've heard Symphonic Fantasia? There is another album that presents a more solid performance of the 3 movements, it's been released on several albums. The version I have is The Artistry Of Akira Ifukube 4- CHU.

The Edge and Gremlins 2: The New Batch by Jerry Goldsmith

Both really great scores. However, Gremlins 2 was rather boring throughout. It had some nice parts, but the main highlight for me is the theme in the Credits cue. It seems my position on Goldsmith has yet to change as I go through all of the scores I have of his, which is that his themes are the best.

I have the Varese album and it is rather poor.

I have the Symphonic Concert album as well. Is this the first time you've heard Symphonic Fantasia? There is another album that presents a more solid performance of the 3 movements, it's been released on several albums. The version I have is The Artistry Of Akira Ifukube 4- CHU.

Indeed it is.

I've seen the one from Naxos, but I haven't heard it yet. It appears to only have Symphonic Fantasia No. 1.

However, Gremlins 2 was rather boring throughout. It had some nice parts, but the main highlight for me is the theme in the Credits cue. It seems my position on Goldsmith has yet to change as I go through all of the scores I have of his, which is that his themes are the best.

One of my Goldsmith favourites. Pretty much every single track is great and different, from the moody Chinatown opening to the e-guitar/orchestra contrast in Teenage Mutant Gremlins, the best version of the Gremlin Rag, the heroic Rambo-type music and of course the standout, Pot Luck.

He is unique - check out his "opera" Einstein on the Beach for some really...unique...music.

It's five hours with no intermission. What's interesting though is that the audience is encouraged to come and go as they please throughout the show.

Congratulations, JWFan.com, on taking down minimalism! Way to knock out that pretender. What genre shall we tear down next? Techno? Serialism? Jazz fusion?

The latest from my Goldsmith binge:

King Solomon's Mines

Essentially JG's Indiana Jones. A fantastic score, I really like theme spread throughout the score, as well as "Dancing Steps." Great stuff.

Under Fire

This one blew me away. I love every minute of it. "Bajo Fuego" is superb writing, this is my kind of music, definitely one of my favorite JG's.

Mom And Dad Save The World

I was pleasantly surprised by this one. I was expecting some mickey mousing type score, given the title and type of movie it is. But it had a really great piano theme and some nice passages, a lot quieter than I expected.

Inchon Intrada Special Edition

Two discs of really good music. The theme is very good, as are "The Tanks" cues, "Medley," "Love Theme," and the "Main Titles." There is one motif that I recognized throughout the score, but I can't remember from where. Anyway, awesome music!

Basic Instinct

The theme is all I really need from this, but I do rather like "Roxy Loses" and "An Unending Story."

I should really consider getting King Solomon's Mines... and speaking of which:

Raiders of the Lost Ark:

A masterpiece. One of JW's very best scores, it is so filled with adventure and action and romance and mystery and beauty and... The only cue I can't listen to is "Well of Souls." The rest ranges from good to fantastic. I love "Basket Game," "Desert Chase," "Flight from Peru," "To Cairo," "Miracle of the Ark," "The German Sub," "Journey to Nepal," and "End Credits." 5/5 stars

Godzilla vs Mecha-Godzilla (1974) - Masaru Sato

The French Revolution - Georges Delerue

Species - Chris Young

Coma - Jerry Goldsmith

Dances with Wolves by John Barry, for the first time.

I am............stunned.

I love the fact that I haven't been listening to film music as long as many people here, and am frequently hearing masterpieces for the first time.

I should really consider getting King Solomon's Mines... and speaking of which:

Raiders of the Lost Ark:

A masterpiece. One of JW's very best scores, it is so filled with adventure and action and romance and mystery and beauty and... The only cue I can't listen to is "Well of Souls." The rest ranges from good to fantastic. I love "Basket Game," "Desert Chase," "Flight from Peru," "To Cairo," "Miracle of the Ark," "The German Sub," "Journey to Nepal," and "End Credits." 5/5 stars

There's that word masterpiece being thrown......OH WAIT nevermind. :blink:

I am............stunned.

I love the fact that I haven't been listening to film music as long as many people here, and am frequently hearing masterpieces for the first time.

Yes it is a wonderful score.

There's that word masterpiece being thrown......OH WAIT nevermind. :blink:

Yes he got one right finally. :o

I am............stunned.

The Two Socks theme is incredibly moving

Medicine Man by Jerry Goldsmith

Decent score, it was a little quieter and non-action filled unlike what I expected. I saw the movie ages ago, can't remember much. For some reason, some of the synth parts remind me of Blade Runner.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom:

A near masterpiece. Of course it suffers from having a 40 minute album (a disadvantage that will happily be eliminated this November), but right now I consider it to be the weakest of the OT. Still a magnificent score. "The Fast Streets of Shanghai" contains the best variation of the Indy theme...ever. I love how throughout the entire cue, JW is teasing us, inserting tiny little snippets, each one being more and more complete, of the Raiders March. And then at the end, we get that fantastic build-up, and then, in fully glory: Indy's theme. 4.5/5 stars

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade:

Another masterpiece. It is fantastic, it is the most fun of the series. "Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra" is fantastic. 5/5 stars

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull:

Spectacular. There are about 5 dead cues, but the rest is great. I think my favorite would either be "Ants!" or "Jungle Chase." 4.25/5 stars

So as of right now, here's the final Indy score rankings:

1. Raiders of the Lost Ark

2. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

3. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

4. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

No other franchise is so closely ranked, however, at least in terms of score.

From now until November 11th, I'm going on an Indiana Jones score fast. No more listening to any of the music until the boxset arrives. Though I may rewatch Indy 4 a couple times between then.

I rather enjoy The 13th Warrior. This is one Goldsmith I'd like to see get a bigger soundtrack release, if there is sufficient extra material missing. I admit I haven't seen the movie for at least seven years, while I listen to the score regularly. I just popped it back in to listen, actually.

The 13th Warrior by Jerry Goldsmith

This was a let down for me. I expected something better, although the theme was decent and I liked "Valhalla/Viking Victory."

I find it gets better over time, but I don't think it's as great as most say (I prefer The Mummy). It certainly does have some cool stuff.