What is the last score you listened to?

HPFAN_2

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade:

Another masterpiece. It is fantastic, it is the most fun of the series. "Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra" is fantastic. 5/5 stars

TLC is my favorite, but more fun than Temple of Doom? I think not.

The 13th Warrior by Jerry Goldsmith

This was a let down for me. I expected something better, although the theme was decent and I liked "Valhalla/Viking Victory."

I find it gets better over time, but I don't think it's as great as most say (I prefer The Mummy). It certainly does have some cool stuff.

Yeah, I definitely like The Mummy more.

Speed Racer

A lot of fun, but the full thing is pretty long.

It's a long movie. How long is the complete score? I just have the OST.

The Russia House by Jerry Goldsmith

Fantastic score. I really love the piano and jazzesque cues. It also has some nice percussion. It reminds me of Cinderella Liberty, which is a good thing.

Medicine Man by Jerry Goldsmith

Decent score

Decent score with some brilliant bits.

It's one of those scores I can turn on and get lost in.

In a good way.

I prefer Under Fire to Medicine Man, I noticed that they shared some similarities.

Small Soldiers by Jerry Goldsmith.

A pretty good score, I liked the incorporation of "When Johnny Comes Marching Home" and the Morricone homages.

L.A. Confidential by Jerry Goldsmith

Some pretty good stuff. Nice percussion and low-key writing.

Planet Of The Apes by Jerry Goldsmith

I found this rather boring. This is more of the Golden Age style that I don't like. I enjoyed the 16 minutes suite from Beneath The Planet Of The Apes more than the rest of the score, at least that had some percussion.

I agree about your general opinion of PotA (though I do enjoy "The Hunt).

Ed Wood:

A great score. The "Main Titles" are a fantastic tribute to the alien horrors of the time. "Ed Takes a Bow" is great also (though I get dizzy thinking about holding that last note), and I love "This is the One." The dialogue on the CD's annoying. 3.75/5 stars

This is my first non-LotR Shore score, and I was very pleased with it.

I agree about your general opinion of PotA (though I do enjoy "The Hunt).

Yeah, that cue is fantastic.

I listened to Jericho by Jerry Goldsmith, Lalo Schifrin, Morton Stevens, Richard Shores, and Gerald Fried

The two Goldsmith cues were pretty good, but I didn't care much for the rest of the score. Pretty boring late 60's style music.

I found this rather boring. This is more of the Golden Age style that I don't like. I enjoyed the 16 minutes suite from Beneath The Planet Of The Apes more than the rest of the score, at least that had some percussion.

There's nothing Golden Age about POTA. And the 16 minute suite is from Escape From The Planet Of The Apes.

Personally, I love Goldsmith's Planet of the Apes, but that's been one of my favorite movies for about thirty years. If it wasn't, I can well imagine being bored by the score myself.

There's nothing Golden Age about POTA. And the 16 minute suite is from Escape From The Planet Of The Apes.

Whatever, I don't like it.

Jurassic Park III - Don Davis

I know many here don't like this score but I for one absolutely enjoy it. I love how Davis implemented his own score but also kept the Jurassic Park themes and exact note for note too. This has always been a favorite of mine.

Jaws:

A very good score. In terms of effectivness in a film, I think this is the greatest score ever written. But that's not how I judge 'em, my main criterion is as a listening experience. And in that department, Jaws is a good score. I love "Shark Cage Fugue," "Man Against Beast," and "The Great Shark Chase." And there are many other good bits. 3.5/5 stars

Jaws 2:

Superior to the original score in almost every way. Main Titles, finale, cheerful beachgoing music, end credits etc. I love how Williams moves beyond the basic two note theme, and starts layering it with complex rythmns and variations. 4.25/5 stars

I'm going to go hide now.

Jurassic Park III - Don Davis

I know many here don't like this score but I for one absolutely enjoy it. I love how Davis implemented his own score but also kept the Jurassic Park themes and exact note for note too. This has always been a favorite of mine.

I've been meaning to get a copy of that for years.

Jaws:

A very good score. In terms of effectivness in a film, I think this is the greatest score ever written. But that's not how I judge 'em, my main criterion is as a listening experience. And in that department, Jaws is a good score. I love "Shark Cage Fugue," "Man Against Beast," and "The Great Shark Chase." And there are many other good bits. 3.5/5 stars

Jaws 2:

Superior to the original score in almost every way. Main Titles, finale, cheerful beachgoing music, end credits etc. I love how Williams moves beyond the basic two note theme, and starts layering it with complex rythmns and variations. 4.25/5 stars

I'm going to go hide now.

Doesn't matter; you'll be found.

Personally, I think Jaws is every bit as good a casual listen as a film score. The music communicates quite a lot. Maybe that's just my love for the movie peeking through, I dunno.

Seven Years in Tibet: An astounding score by Maestro. Heartfelt, lyrical, mystical and deeply moving. This score has so many highlights. Yo Yo Ma's artistry brings this music to a higher level and his musical voice becomes the voice of the main characters. Williams goes into a new territory with percussion in The Invasion, Peter's Rescue (2 cues from the film) is extremely powerful with a threatning and nervous beginning that gives out to a tragedy laden music for the destruction of the Tibetan army at the hands of the Chinese Invaders. Solo piano dueting with cello at the end of Approaching the Summit is simply heartbreakingly beautiful, Palace Invitation contains the most lighthearted music of the often contemplative and melancholy score with chiming bells and drums before melting to one of Ma's lyrical solos based on the main theme accompanied by chimes and the score finishes off with the Regaining a Son, a lovely new melody and a wonderfully optimistic ending to the score. One of the JW gems of the 90's.

Totally agree, Mikko :lol:

I would go as far as to say it's one of JW's greatest works. Tracks like Leaving Ingrid, Approaching the Summit and Regaining a Son simply cannot be missed, among many other highlights.

A masterpiece

I've been meaning to get a copy of that for years.

The OST is good to have just to show you have it but I listened to the expanded promo. I guess I should have pointed that out in my original post.

I listened to, I guess half of 100 Rifles by Jerry Goldsmith. I think the second half is the same thing except in mono. Good stuff.

Correct.

Jurassic Park III has some outstanding action cues. I'm not too excited about the family theme, it comes across a bit cheesy at times. There are a few perfromances of the Jurassic Park theme that make me cringe but overall it is a well done effort by Davis.

The Ghost And The Darkness by Jerry Goldsmith

Brilliant score. I love the ethnic vocals included in some of the cues, especially "Remington's Death." The theme and the final cue are very nice, and I just love all the percussion elements throughout. :)

there are some great unreleased bits from Ghost and the Darkness that I would love to have

namely when Patterson first gets off the train

John Williams and Yo-Yo Ma - Live Session - EP (iTunes Exclusive):

I bought it for the interview (which is largely Yo Yo Ma and Williams complementing each other), but I really like "Sayuri's Theme" and "Going to School." The former is better than its soundtrack version. JW and YYM are both brilliant at playing the piano/cello. I really enjoyed it, and that's pretty good coming from someone who thinks Memoirs of a Geisha is an overrated soundtrack (though it is still a solid score). 3.5/5 stars

Beethoven's Mass in C with the LSO and Sir Colin Davis. Sublime music from a master composer.

Conducted by someone with a sublime first name.

I've heard some cues of that Betoven [sp?] guy in one movie - he writes preety decent music. If he manages to maintain his level, he may one day become Someone in the film music business - maybe like John Williams himself...

Beethoven's Mass in C with the LSO and Sir Colin Davis. Sublime music from a master composer.

I've heard some cues of that Betoven [sp?] guy in one movie - he writes preety decent music. If he manages to maintain his level, he may one day become Someone in the film music business - maybe like John Williams himself...

nah . he doesnt use enouhg instrooments ...

I hate movie crossovers

Then let's hope DC vs Mortal Kombat remains a video game, and doesn't get turned into a movie.

I think I'm in a Horner mood. Yesterday it was Krull, and from then into today, it's Titanic/Return to Titanic based on the complete score order posted at this site. I must admit it's been so long since I listened to it that with the OST etched into my head, this shuffled order is kinda awkward.

Bah. Enough of that. Time for Willow.

there are some great unreleased bits from Ghost and the Darkness that I would love to have

I've only seen the movie once but I would like the opening credits, if my memory is correct it was a rather dark grim piece.

I know Mr. Goldsmith loathed long CDs but I could have done without all of those source cue chants at the end of the score and replaced them with his music.

Brilliant score. I love the ethnic vocals included in some of the cues, especially "Remington's Death." The theme and the final cue are very nice, and I just love all the percussion elements throughout. :thumbup:

'Ghost and the Darkness' has an interesting history, since the film was re-edited heavily and Goldsmith had to write half of it again. Legend has it that there are over 100 minutes of music recorded and that the schedule of this film cut Goldsmith's work time on 'First Contact' in half.

It's one of those rare late scores where Goldsmith invested much more heavily than on the usual fare he was doing at the time. No bootleg ever surfaced...sadly. :rolleyes:

I know Mr. Goldsmith loathed long CDs but I could have done without all of those source cue chants at the end of the score and replaced them with his music.

Yeah I didn't bother to listen to those.

I finished listening to Chinatown right now. I'm missing tracks 10-12 on the OST. I don't know why, but I asked my brother to e-mail me the missing cues. Anyway, fantastic score. I love the love theme.

Brilliant score. I love the ethnic vocals included in some of the cues, especially "Remington's Death." The theme and the final cue are very nice, and I just love all the percussion elements throughout. :thumbup:

'Ghost and the Darkness' has an interesting history, since the film was re-edited heavily and Goldsmith had to write half of it again. Legend has it that there are over 100 minutes of music recorded and that the schedule of this film cut Goldsmith's work time on 'First Contact' in half.

It's one of those rare late scores where Goldsmith invested much more heavily than on the usual fare he was doing at the time. No bootleg ever surfaced...sadly. ;)

have you heard of any kind of promo surfacing?

Colin is such a bland name ;)