What is the last score you listened to?

HPFAN_2

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Listened to The Last Crusade earlier today, and now it's Mark Griskey's score to KOTOR 2. Well, one with some tracks that are poorly truncated. Oh well, other tracks are still standouts.

Images

A wonderful oddity. Very interesting, if a bit freaky, to listen too, but fortunately it's still grounded in normalcy. The main piano theme is both haunting and beautiful, and Blood Moon is a true standout cue, playing almost like a stand alone concert piece in the middle of the weirdness.

No horror score can beat Psycho. Twisted Nerve is also deliciously frightening.

"Prelude" is fantastic, as is "The Murder." And the rest of the score drags...A LOT.

indy4 - who's not sure why everybody is listening to scary scores a few days before Christmas :lol:

Hey, I want that! 18 bucks seems a little steep for 30 minutes of music though.

:lol:

Since when? Most of your OST's are around 30-40 minutes... a score will be lucky enough to get a 70 minute release and that's generally the standard price for a score CD.

Hey, I want that! 18 bucks seems a little steep for 30 minutes of music though.

:lol:

Since when? Most of your OST's are around 30-40 minutes... a score will be lucky enough to get a 70 minute release and that's generally the standard price for a score CD.

Well when you add the $4 shipping, it's a lot. My CD's are usually $15.

:rolleyes:

Oh like you buy all the limited editions that come out. I don't like Golden Age music.

Who in the world said anything about Golden Age music? There's been tons of great limited editions from the Silver Age on.

Finally got Marianelli's Atonement. Wow, great! A deserving Oscar winner. And it ends, for whatever reason, with "Clair de Lune," which I certainly can't complain about.

Raiders of the lost Ark For the first time. Off the new collection. Must say I wasn't impressed. Perhaps it was that I knew the standout peices already, Basket Chase and Desert Chase. I quite expected to be blown away but I wasn't at all. I will give it another listen, maybe it will win me over.

Psycho isn't a great score, its a score with great moments.

It's a classic score to a classic movie. Often imitated but never bettered.

Finally got Marianelli's Atonement. Wow, great! A deserving Oscar winner. And it ends, for whatever reason, with "Clair de Lune," which I certainly can't complain about.

Since I can't find the picture, this will have to do:

WRRROOOONNGGG!

Raiders of the lost Ark For the first time. Off the new collection. Must say I wasn't impressed. Perhaps it was that I knew the standout peices already, Basket Chase and Desert Chase. I quite expected to be blown away but I wasn't at all. I will give it another listen, maybe it will win me over.

Vangelis would have scored the film much better.

WRRROOOONNGGG!

lex-luthor-wrong1.jpg

There you go, Koray. Merry Christmas from one JWFan to another.

WRRROOOONNGGG!

Come on, Koray! "Elegy for Dunkirk" must do something for you.

WRRROOOONNGGG!

Come on, Koray! "Elegy for Dunkirk" must do something for you.

It does. I rather like the score, but it was not deserving of the Oscar. All of the other nominees were better IMO.

Home Alone and Home Alone 2

Love em!

There's some great stuff in HA2

Agreed. Two discs of Lost In New York is probably overkill (it always is for me, at least), but it's a very, very good score. (I listened to both Home Alone scores at work tonight; seemed appropriate. I also listened to some hair metal, and really, there's no excusing that.)

Psycho isn't a great score, its a score with great moments.

It's a classic score to a classic movie. Often imitated but never bettered.

Probably no surprise you and I are in agreement on that.

Independence Day complete

Love this score so much, one of the few scores that the entire 2CD complete version never gets boring, every single track is interesting and different.

Never noticed before, but my version of Nuke Attack is in mono. Is everyone's like that?

You see, that is the thing. When I first listened to the score, I was very disappointed. I got depressed and then I listened to "Jaws" for the first time, and I loved it the first time. However, back then (in August), I had yet to realize that scores may not necessarily grab you on the first listen. I think it took five full playthroughs of "Hellboy II: The Golden Army" for me to even begin to appreciate it. I have listened to it far more times since then, and I am still discovering more and more about that score, and I really like that. Give it a few more chances is the only thing I can tell you( in fact, I am currently in that phase for "A.I". I like it, and I know I will probably love it when I listen to it enough, but I just have to be patient.)

Not terrible, but nothing special.

What did you expect? Didgeridoos?

I used the Holidays to catch up on things like 'Benjamin Button' (very elegant, needs a few listens, then develops a rather unique elegiac sound), 'Defiance' (again, rather elegant, but apart from some nice jewish/slavic touches it stays in the comfort zone of the typical gloom-and-doom drama scoring), 'Largo Winch' (Desplat again, it is - you guessed it - an elegant version of Arnold Bond music and the usual Bourne licks thrown in; whenever Desplat is given time to develop his slower pieces, interesting things happen; cues build and are actually intersting to listen to, the action music, less so).

And, last but not least, both of Morricone's 'My Name is Nobody' scores on TV. Take this, fluffy reindeer movies!

If a score requires 5 full listens for you to "get" it, it's a failure.

So 'easy listening' is the only genre worth exploring?

Hmm, I am not sure I could disagree more.

Planet of the Apes, Alien, The Final Conflict, Poltergeist, Alien³, even Once Upon a Time in the West... some of the biggest failures in film music history.

What's the difference between the "bland album that takes 5 listens get it" and "good album that you have to listen more than once to fully appreciate".

Or, perhaps, I misunderstood you.

Karol

Planet of the Apes, Alien, The Final Conflict, Poltergeist, Alien³, even Once Upon a Time in the West... some of the biggest failures in film music history.

Do not forget "E.T." and "A.I.".

EDIT: Maybe even the first half of "Star Wars"?