John Williams vs Howard Shore

Damo

Which composer's score do you enjoy more?  

55 members have voted

1. 1.

• Star Wars
    • Lord of The Rings
    • Other. (please specify)

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are we talking about the Original Trilogy scores or the Prequel scores?

It makes a huge difference, you know.

Does It?

Star Wars, Without a doubt :music:

I voted for John Williams' score to OTHER (please specify).

I also voted for Howard Shore's score to OTHER (please specify).

I finally voted for my own score to FLATULENCE UNSEALED.

As a John Williams fan I have to say Star Wars despite my adoring remarks about the LOTR scores. To me both present brilliant movie scoring but Star Wars wins because it is a classic. LOTR comes darn close though. Tough since LOTR is one of my favorite books and I relate very strongly to the musical counterpart Shore has composed. Star Wars has lost some of its lustre because of the prequels(films not the music), but the music is better than ever despite some thematic dead ends along the way.

JOHN WILLIAMS IS THE KING!

Howard Shore's The Lord of the Rings scores are nice but I really can't see why people would jump the gun and proclaim them as equal to or even better than John Williams' Star Wars scores. I can listen to every minute of a SW score and not get bored, but by the fourth or fifth track of a LOTR score, I find myself hitting that fast-forward button quite a lot.

As much as I respect Star Wars, I find myself listening to LotR far more these days, because it's part of the reason I got into scores.

I don't think 'listens to/enjoys more' necessarily means better, just that you personally like it more:)

Drax.

There are as many opinions as there are people. You feel that LOTR is boring. Fine. I like it. Fine. Opinions. There is no ultimate truth in the matters of taste and you can't make me see the error of my ways(in your opinion) no more than I can make you change your mind about LOTR or any thing you don't like. Or maybe you can if you are either very persistent or persuasive :)

I never said no one should like LOTR, I just don't understand its mass appeal as it drones on like filler music to me.

EDIT: I never had enough patience for the book either. I never even finished the first part of FOTR, I just got past Tom Bombadil's house and gave up.

John Williams boards...

I think i'll stick at home.

This is a place of high intellectual debate about the merits of film music and John Williams. We dare not to sully our good names in pointless topics or low brow humor. Why stick at home when you can read our cultured posts written in well educated Queen's English. This is truly the most refined Message board and discussion forum. :)

As much as I admire John Williams, and love the scores for the original trilogy (it virtually introduced me to music!) I am going to have to say that, for now at least, I prefer Shore's 'Lord of the Rings'. To me, it seems a much deeper and more complex score that has exciting, loud and fast passed sections but also slows down and has some truely beautiful sections. The sheer size of it cannot fail to impress either.

I know I may be submitting myself to attack here with this. Overall though, Shore is yet to knock John Williams off the top spot for me!

I enjoy all of The Lord of the Rings scores very much, but either trilogy from Star Wars is better in my opinion.

Somehow I just knew that you would be the first one to respond after that post. Hey, at least I like those Lord of the Rings :) scores a lot, unlike some others around here. What more do you want?

Somehow I just knew that you would be the first one to respond after that post. Hey, at least I like those Rings scores a lot, unlike some others around here. What more do you want?

The only Rings score I know well enough are the ones that the almighty Richard Wagner composed. :)

You have yet to develop your comedic skills. Oh wait you have! Your hilarious turn as Jabba the Hutt in ROTJ was outstanding especially the part where you got strangled by a barely clad Carrie Fisher. That shaking tail should have earned you a Razzie nomination at least.

Comparing Williams to Shore on a Williams fan board ... excuse me when I laugh my ass off.

PS: voted for Shore by the way :) I like my scores not over- orchestrated. Star Wars' themes are brilliant, but the rest of the underscore doesn't do it for me.

Comparing Williams to Shore on a Williams fan board ... excuse me when I laugh my ass off.

PS: voted for Shore by the way :P  I like my scores not over- orchestrated. Star Wars' themes are brilliant, but the rest of the underscore doesn't do it for me.

Over-orchestrated???? That's plain idiotic, when you take a look at the constant bland orchestration by Howard Shore (If he even does his own orchestration....)

Hmm.. lets just stick in some arpeggiated double basses and timpanis and stick heavy brass and choir over the top... WOW! :)

Williams' Orchestration is colourful and perfect.

Maybe "over- orchestrated" was the wrong word. I mean I don't really appreciate it when the entire orchestra bursts out with lots and lots of counterpoints, with every section doing something else. It's great from a technical point of view, but I can't enjoy that.

And of course this whole debate is "non- debatable". Williams is great in his way and so is Shore; and they are different, there's no point in comparing them!

If you love Williams, it's very likely that you'll find Shore very monotone. And if you love Shore, you might find Williams too chaotic (for the lack of a better word). I know quite a few who find that Williams does "too much".

I have only listened to Fellowship from Lord of the Rings so i can't compare the series. However if i compare Fellowship to the lesser of the Star Wars scores, Attack of The Clones, Fellowship looks like a piece of garbage. So yeah, you know where my vote goes.

I would say that howard shore and williams are equal, though i do think that williams is not as good as he used to be, i guess you can only be on top for so long. Howard shore is currently at his highest

Even when you add in the prequels (especially "Attack of the Clones") I still like the Star Wars series' music better. More variety. More emotion. More punch.

I can think of only two or three musical moments in the entire "LOTR" saga that stick out for me.

Star Wars by a mile! The last two Star Wars scores may not have been up to much, but even they are better than the LOTR scores.

James (gritting his teeth and waiting for Stefancos' rebuke)

Comparing AOTC to FOTR, TTT, or ROTK is like comparing the weight of a BMW to that of a fully loaded 18 wheeler.

The BMW always gets crushed.

Justin - :)

As long as we're up to this polemic bashing, I'd say that Shore's Silver Trumpet theme is better than anything JW came up with for the prequel trilogy and ROTJ (if you put aside The Dark Side Beckons; this one's a holy grail :) ).