Memoirs of a Geisha First Listen

Snowster

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FU*K.Can someone make F*cking MP3's of this and PM me for me to download them so I can play them.That f*cking Quicktime pluggin they use on that site never works properly.

K.M. :angry:

Wonderful. the clips sounded very promising. It is so different and refreshing! Truly Williams is the master of film music. If I did not know Williams wrote this I had no idea (well there are few tell tale signs). The theme sounds beautiful. John Williams rules! I am all hyped up now. I wish it was 22nd of November already.

I can only get the first few seconds to play,then the buffer doesn't work or something and I get no sound for the rest of the cue.This sucks.

K.M.

Listened to all the samples. Sounds good. Not sure if I'll buy the CD, but I think I'll check out the movie when it hits theatres, just because it's scored by Williams. Sounds promising.

Some tracks almost sound like a much more mature Thomas Newman had a hand in them... But WOW! Lively... Very different than usual! Very very nice.

Based on the clips.... disappointing....

Sadly, because no one was looking forward to this score than I was.

Sayuri's Theme is simply too short (again; based on the clips)

There is still Munich

What did you expect,really?

I've succeded playing the clips on another PC(still need MP3's though).and it sounds exactly like I tought it was going to sound,even a little more"orchestral" than anticipated.The main theme is a bit nondesript,but I'll have to hear the whole tracks.Sounds like Williams in full 90's mode.

Angela's Ashes meets Shindler's List meets 7TIT meets EtoS.Only has a chance at the Oscars if the movie is nominated for Best Picture.

Sissorhands will re-joice.

K.M.

From the samples, this is precisely the kind of music I love from JW's more recent output. The melody of the theme is wonderful.

I trully cannot wait for the full cd.

This score sounds absolutely beautiful, gorgeous!!!!!! It made me all tingly several times..

A New Name... A New Life sounded absolutely dark and chillingly beautiful... sent shivers down my spine...

Uploading MP3s now :angry: ,, PM for link

"As The Water..." sounds a bit like "Fluffy's Harp".  Maybe JoeinAr will like this score afterall.

*slap* You're dillusional :angry:

I love "Confluence", which is one of the ones I guessed was going to be good just based on title.

Tim

Yeah, that string swell is beautiful, and it gets even better when the cello comes in ! ^.^

There's something about Ma's cello playing that just gets me going... A Dream Discarded sends shivers down my spine when he reaches those high notes so beautifully.

(I wanna kill someone btw. I just wrote this and the forum kicked me, as it does, and I lost it...grr)

I was writing about what tracks were like and how they were or weren't JW sounding.

01) Sayuri's Theme: A lot of people listened to the midi of this and, like when "Battle of the Hero's" came out on midi and the tiny clip for people with Cingular, found the theme trite and simple. The automatically discarded this as being a bad score and that John Williams was "de-composing" in his style.

I found this to be a beautiful use of an oriental mode and sound...It is not particularly John Williams, but doesn't sound like anyone else... it's... unique. PS: true recording and orchestrated version of this is far more satisfying than a midi.

02) Journey to the Hamanachi: This sounds very oriental. Not particularly John Williams... but then again, not very anyone... unique.

03) Going to School: Has a very A. I. travel background music with a theme played over it. Because of the background, it’s quite John Williams... but for some reason, the background that makes it John Williams, also makes it very Asian. Works very well.

04) Brush on Silk: percussive based... again, not very John Williams... but very unique and oriental sounding... so, quite appropriate.

05) Chiyo’s Prayer: trio between the bamboo flute and harp and koto I believe. Again, more oriental than JW usually is... but quite appropriate... doesn’t have a finite “that’s John Williams” but is definately not bad.

06) Becoming a Geisha: Reminds me of the Tomb Raider video game... I love this piece... it’s full orchestra but very oriental sounding.. Percussive... almost modern in the percussive sound but... I love this... Menu Music? I’d say so.

07) Finding Satsu: When I heard this I immediatly was like “I found it! I found John Williams in ‘Finding Satsu.’” so I laughed. It reminds me of the uneasy mood music post-episode II. Very John Williams.

08) The Chariman’s Waltz: Very “Schindler’s List.” Even down to the soloist, Pearlman. lol... I dunno, very John Williams... Similar orchestration too...

09) The Rooftops of the Hamanachi: When I first heard the begining, It sounded almost like something very Jazzy like “The Knight Bus” but then it went very dark and moody... I don’t know how else to describe it... maybe ... Batman Begins

10) The Garden Meeting: I just finished watching the Lord of the Rings yesturday,so when I first heard this, I started to sing the theme from LOTR lol... I guess that’s kinda the best way to describe it... The LOTR theme orchestrated like The Rohan Theme... with the solo violin and light, dark orchestration underneath.

11) Dr. Crabs Prize: Solo bamboo flute... not much else to say past that... it’s not really JW or anyone... still nice.

12) Destiny’s Path: Again the travel music from A. I. comes into play in the background with the koto playing a little medley... very nice travel music... very JW.

13) A New Name...: Reminds me of something from War of the Worlds. Very dark... and almost... hard to follow. It has the little piano/harp chord outline from when the centipedes go into Padme’s room in Episode II... so... JW...

14) The Fire and the Coming War: starts off with the chord progression from Episode III when Yoda is meditating and is interrupted near the end. Then goes an opera the Williams used in part of the music (not written by him) with timpani underpinnings... very... Episode III sounding...

15) As the Water: Reminds me of the piano piece from War of the Worlds. How it is kinda searching... never really resolved... just wandering... duet between two cello’s. Quite John Williams.

16) Confluence: Reminds me of when Anakin leaves his mother in Episode I.. I found myself singing that instead of this lol. Very John Williams. The full orchestra starts to come in now.

17) A Dream Discarded: solo cello. There is something about Yo Yo Ma. He is able to take seemingly dead notes, like the midi theme we all heard, and he plays each note with love and seemingly cradles the notes, weaving them into an exquisite masterpiece. It could be the most atonal/12 tone piece in the world, and he could make it sound like music... gotta love him for that. This is again, more oriental than JW....not a bad thing though.

18) Sayuri’s theme and End Credits: Again, this is the Tomb Raider sounding piece. I personally love this... it’s something that would play on the Menu’s of the DVD. lol

and that’s about what I wrote before lol. It’s just a comparison of this score to the prior scores of John Williams... drawing some comparisons and such to give an idea of the sound of each and how particularly John Williams it sounds, which is something many people wondered because of the uniqueness of this score.

Personally, I love it. It is both oriental and full orchestra when it should be... I think he did his job and do NOT think he’s lost his touch. One thing I noticed is that even if his themes are becomming more simplistic and less... romantic ... I think it’s because he too is changing along with the times. You can’t get away with romantic themes like “Can You Read Me Mind” anymore... it has to be more modern sounding like the “themes”–and I say this tentatively–from War o the Worlds... He is growing with the culture and his style is simply changing, not dying.

But that’s my two cents...

sounds better than the midi thank God, but so far not hearing anything Oscar worthy,

still I will listen, and I will buy it on the 22nd.

So far, I like it, but I just hate the percussion. It sounds too electronicky.

I'm hoping there will be a concert version of this theme performed and recorded...

Interesting little score.  I hear a bit of The Last Crusade in there, funnily enough, in "Finding Satsu".

It doesn't really sound like the last Crusade...

Finding Satsu sounds like part of Council Meeting in RotS.

K.M.

It certainly sounds ROTS like.

Neil

It does sound like part of Council Meeting in RotS a bit.

John Williams is scoring both the emotion and the culture here. And he is doing superb job at it. Music of every track is interesting (yes even the solo shakuhachi in DR. Crab's Prize.). The oriental style is very much more deeper than in say Seven Years in Tibet but Williams' own compositional voice is still there in those exquisite themes. Sayuri's theme is perhaps short but to me so very beautiful. Chaiman's Waltz is simply amazing. Perlman's playing is so lyrical and expressive. But I do not hear Schindler's List when I hear the piece. Abandoned in the Woods perhaps?

In Finding Satu the strings sound very much like Seven Years in Tibet or Episode 2 or 3 (the two latter had that from 7YIT).

All in all it seems to be amazing score based on the soundclips from Soundtrack.netsite. Beautiful.

I hadn't even thought of that... Lost in the Woods as the Chairmans Waltz... I didn't even think of that... WOW...now that I listen to that in mind... I'm blown away again! lol...

the theme is very much like that... but the structure, superficially, is like Schindlers List... wow...

You're good! lol I like you...

You're my new best friend; call me every 5 minutes. ^_^ :P

I hadn't even thought of that... Lost in the Woods as the Chairmans Waltz... I didn't even think of that... WOW...now that I listen to that in mind... I'm blown away again! lol...

the theme is very much like that... but the structure, superficially, is like Schindlers List... wow...

You're good! lol I like you...

You're my new best friend; call me every 5 minutes. :P  ;)

I took awhile but I had a gnawing feeling this piece was somehow familiar. Then it hit me. Abandoned in the Woods (well Martin's theme).

Thanks for those sentiments :) One can never have too many friends :)

I hope fans of Williams and film scores abroad appreciate this score as much as I do.  

Really?

I usually don't give a bleedin' toss what a selection of people think about a score.

If I like it, it's good, If I don't like it it sucks.

That's the way the Democratic system works, and it works well.

I agree and for one I hate Saruyi's Theme. I really, really, REALLY wanted to like it, but I don't.

I hope fans of Williams and film scores abroad appreciate this score as much as I do.  

Really?

I usually don't give a bleedin' toss what a selection of people think about a score.

That's the way the Democratic system works, and it works well.

If they don't like it, I will impose my opinions onto them. Either they're with me or they're against me!

Sounds really impressive and authentic. I love the chamber-like, very classical-sounding choice Williams made. There's a pretty good sense of melody as well. It's an amusing and refreshing change of path after the epic-sized symphonic efforts of EPISODE III and WAR OF THE WORLDS.

Can't wait to listen to the whole thing.