Best Movie Musical EVER....

Sandor

With Rent just released I was wondering what you guys consider to be the best Movie Musical of all time.

I have a very soft spot for Moulin Rouge. I LOVED it.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Singin' in the Rain wasn't on stage before the screen, was it?

:P Yeah, that's probably it.

The Music Man would be another great option had it been an original musical for a movie.

Except for children's animation movies, there are barely any musicals made directly for the screen - and those that are (or don't use songs from revues) very often lack cinematographic quality. Besides, Rent is based on a Pulitzer-winning stage play, so I say we allow stage musicals to count. As in, My Fair Lady; West Side Story; Evita; and Oliver!. Brilliant movies all of them.

For me, it's easily Singin' in the Rain. Next come My Fair Lady, Moulin Rouge, West Side Story, Chicago, Oliver! and Evita, more or less in that order.

I'm certain my favorite is Von Trier's Dancer In The Dark but I haven't seen it yet.

----------------

Alex Cremers - drinking coffee at his coffee art cafe, looking at all the beautiful girls wearing arty glasses whilst internetting on his designer wrist computer.

I'm certain my favorite is Von Trier's Dancer In The Dark but I haven't seen it yet.

Well, it is great.

And ofcourse existing musicals turned into movies (West Side Story, Evita, Phantom of the Opera, Grease, Rent, etc.) DO count in this thread.

Moulin Rouge is one of my favourites. Singin' in the rain is really cool and a real classic. Cabaret is the best of the best musical in the seventies. Mary Poppins is a mith in my childhood. And, I know it's too gay, but I love The Wizard of Oz.

Edited: And I forgot, about animated musicals, Beauty and the Beast, simply best animated musical ever.

geez people doesn't anyone like the Wizard of Oz???

Uh, shouldn't you like, uh, read the posts first before you ask such a question? Look what deimos wrote...

geez people doesn't anyone like the Wizard of Oz???

Uh, shouldn't you like, uh, read the posts first before you ask such a question? Look what deimos wrote...

haven't you figured it out yet Roald, mostly I just read the initial post, and just a few of the others.

I also like The Nightmare before Christmas and Corpse Bride, but I wouldn't think of them as musicals normally...

"Nightmare" not a musical? When you're reading "music and lyrics by Danny Elfman" in the end credits, you have to realize that this means he wrote most of the dialogue in the film. :)

If we're talking movies that are musicals from the beginning, Beauty and the Beast, Mary Poppins and The Sound of Music.

The best adapted movie musical I've seen is Chicago. Purists hate it, but I thought it was extremely clever in its transition to screen, and some of the best editing I've seen ("Razzle Dazzle" in particular). Added to that, Catherine Zeta Jones is phenomenal.

I like Mary Poppins... that didn't have a stage adaptation until after if I'm not mistaken...

personally I don't like Rent but that's ok...

I did love Chicago and Evita and Phantom(not the best, but enjoyable... no comparison to stage though!) Sound of Music too...

I like Mary Poppins... that didn't have a stage adaptation until after if I'm not mistaken...

If that was to me, I meant movie musicals that were the originals (not adapted). I chose confusing words! :oops: Mary Poppins only opened either this year or last year, in London. I thik

I also like The Nightmare before Christmas and Corpse Bride, but I wouldn't think of them as musicals normally...

"Nightmare" not a musical? When you're reading "music and lyrics by Danny Elfman" in the end credits, you have to realize that this means he wrote most of the dialogue in the film. :)

And sings most of it himself too ;)

Tim

Oddly I didn't know that John Williams did the orchestration for the movie until today.

Besides the music being wonderful, it was a deep movie and the songs were an intricate part of that, not just fillers.

"Oliver!!" would be #2

#3 would be West Side Story.

Tashmere