Anyone Have This CD?

robthehand

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have it, and it's a good listen. It has, as Steef pointed out, concert versions and original soundtrack versions of main themes. Things like "Star Wars" and "Superman" and "The Imperial March" are all recorded by the Boston Pops, but they're still great. Some lesser-known ones are on there as well ("Sugarland Express" and "The Reivers") and it has both Summer Olympics themes composed by Williams.

Don't waste any time getting it.

It's a fantastic album. All conducted by Williams, which obviously places it above the plethora of Silva releases. It was the first Williams album I bought....the album that started it all! *sigh*

Ray Barnsbury

It's a great introduction to the world of JW......and has some great re-recordings on there.......

Agreed, 100%

Its an excellent album if you don't already own the ost's included, as it features stuff conducted by Williams and performed mostly by the great Boston Pops Orchestra, if not, its the original version. Probably the best album for any newcomer to Williams.

Also, it has a concert version of "Cadillac of the Skies" from Empire of the Sun.

That was originally rleased on The spielberg Williams Collaboration in 1991.

This is a nice introdcution on Williams music, but will only be of any interest if you don't already have the full albuns from were the tracks were taken.

Don't waste any time getting it.

I agree, don't waste your time on this.

I certainly wouldn't buy this for myself now, but for the purposes of an introduction to Williams the album is just about perfection.

Justin

I didn't buy it because I had all the stuff already. If I wanted to make a compilation cd, I'd burn one from all the soundtracks I have... but it's just annoying to me to do that...

I personally, choose which cd I listen to depending on my mood. I couldn't stand listening to something with themes and such from tons of his scores because they're all kinda different moods, which I would end up skipping half the tracks.

So, that's why I dind't buy it. I didn't feel it was realy worth it.

To each his own though

Well,it was made before Potter existed.

It's time for a new Spielberg-Williams Collaboration pt.3  

k.m.

Especially,if its played by the fabulous Boston orchestra.Oh man the previous

albums sound great(the brass section sounds so rich and smooth)

Anyone have this? What's it like?

- Rob, looking to buy a good JW compilation for a friend for Christmas.

I have it. It really good. They all selected concerts versions. Very good quality recording.

Especially,if its played by the fabulous Boston orchestra.Oh man the previous

albums sound great(the brass section sounds so rich and smooth)

I generally dislike BPO brass.

They sound rigid and weak compared to the actual film recordings.

I generally dislike BPO brass.

They sound rigid and weak compared to the actual film recordings.

Tim Morrison, former principal trumpet player for the Boston Pops Orchestra and personal favorite soloist of John Williams, isn't going like what you just said.

Oh I like Tim Morrison's work on, especially on Williams film scores and apollo 13.

But please compare the original "Adventures On Earth" from E.T. with the numerous BPO re-recordings.

Could it be that the recordings and not the players are to blame? BPO always sounds more reverbish.

On practically every BPO recording I have er heard?

Please man, I know you don't think much of my intelligence, but try not to insult it.

The only BPO tracks I REALLY love is their BOT4OJ suite, they really captured something there.

Weak sounding brass can really kill a track.It happens on Call of the Champions ,the c.d. version.The one taped off the Boston Pops TV show is waaaay better.

K.M.

Call of the Champions is a horrible recording, the last one before Murphy apparently recovered from whatever had been bothering him for years. Fortunately, the rest of the CD sounds much better thanks to Rhodes.

On practically every BPO recording I have er heard?

Even Summon the Heroes? Also a Murphy recording, but a great one... the brass sounds wonderful from what I recall.

Marian - :)

I pretty much have to go along with the general consensus on this thread. The CD is a good compilation if you're completely in the dark on Williams' work. If you don't plan on buying the original score albums, or if you feel it's going to take you a long time to build up your collection, then buy this 4 disc set. Once you've obtained the scores for these films, you'll soon realize that this is just a collection of main themes, titles, or credits tracks, and not necessarily a "greatest hits".

Tim