Which score has the best CD?

Vaderbait1

This thread isn't about the music itself, other than perhaps the sound quality. I'm asking you which movie scores have the best all around package: CD label, front, back, and most importantly: Booklet.

I'm a big fan of booklets that contain information about the film or the music, ala the Star Wars Special Editions.

What other CDs have excellent packages?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not my final choice (yet) but in addition to the CDs that have already been mentioned I'd nominate:

the 2-disk set of Ben Hur.

James - who thinks it will be impossible for anyone to nominate a beautiful presentation of a poor score.

The Special Editions of "Aliens" and "The Omen."

When I'm listening to those scores at home I almost always read the liner notes. Very informative. And I love the mixes on both.

"Star Wars trilogy" comes second.

Superman's sound quality is too bad for a remastered score recorded in the 70s. It should be replaced by Ben-Hur in the above lists.

Marian - who might give a honorable mention to CE3K.

:P Deep Blue (George Fenton)

If I could read Japanese I would say the Toho Monster Movie Selections released on the Futureland label, 12 CDs released individually, featuring scores from such films as Rodan, Varan, Atragon to name a few. The booklets look to be loaded with all kinds of info.

Yeah it's almost like there hasn't been EVER a "perfect" soundtrack. They always have this little tiny problem that us freak find out. Superman's almost perfect, but hey there's this little thing on the DVD that's isolated and sound better :| LOTR-3CD it's the same, but there's some little things here and there that are now evident (in the mix, some alternate stuff missing, etc...). TESB:SE and those weird alternate mix, ROTJ:SE and the sound quality. E.T. and the missing music, same for Raiders of the Lost Ark, etc..

Star Wars ANH:SE is perhaps the closest I see, in the entire John Williams discography, in both quantity and quality of the recording. There is nothing missing, the sound will never be better, and there's the bonus 5 tracks.

Superman's sound quality is too bad for a remastered score recorded in the 70s.

Not necessarly true. The Special Edition DVD of Superman got a remastered isolated score which sounds a lot better than the Rhino/Warner edition. Grant most of the music was not there like on the Rhino/Warner edition but as I said it sounds a lot better.

I'd nominate:  

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring - The Complete Recordings  

The Star Wars Trilogy - Special Edition  

Superman: The Movie - Rhino set

I don't have the complete recordings for Fellowship Of The Ring yet. However I definitely agree about the Star Wars Trilogy Special Editions and the Superman Rhino set, those two I've got. Plus the Star Wars Anthology set has some good information about the scores, I believe.

Edit: The Star Wars Trilogy Special Edition sets I did have but I sent them to a friend of mine had his stolen with a lot of other CD's when he left them in his car one night. So I don't have them any more. All I have are just the Sony 04' sets.

Yeah it's almost like there hasn't been EVER a "perfect" soundtrack.  They always have this little tiny problem that us freak find out.  Superman's almost perfect, but hey there's this little thing on the DVD that's isolated and sound better ;)       LOTR-3CD it's the same, but there's some little things here and there that are now evident (in the mix, some alternate stuff missing, etc...).  TESB:SE and those weird alternate mix, ROTJ:SE and the sound quality.  E.T. and the missing music, same for Raiders of the Lost Ark, etc..  

Star Wars ANH:SE is perhaps the closest I see, in the entire John Williams discography, in both quantity and quality of the recording.  There is nothing missing, the sound will never be better, and there's the bonus 5 tracks.

Well we die hard fans are very hard to please. Even if a complete score contains the score as it was composed and all the music featured in the film we still want those alternates and extra stuff we have found out that exists. I know our hobby is pretty obsessive one but sometimes I wonder if all the clamoring for the music that was not even in the film is worth all that fuss. It is nice if it is presented but not obligatory.

Above mentioned SW Special Editions and FOTR Complete Recordings are perhaps the best score releases I own. Liner notes are detailed, informative and entertaining and the packaging is top notch. Of course we can discuss the merits of the SW SE "completeness" but they are still the best version around if you do not want to tinker with music editing.

Omen Trilogy is definitely a great release. As is the Marco Polo release of Adventures of Robin Hood and Varese Rerecordings of Psycho and Vertigo the latter being not complete but both contain extensive and excellent liner notes, Rhino's North by Northwest and Superman:the Movie and Ben-Hur sets, the Varese Soundtrack Club releases like the Fury and Home Alone 2 .

Raiders '95 sucked. The mix is crappy and music was left out.

Another CD that sucked was TMP. It comes with 2 discs and one of them doesn't have music, yet there was probably another disc's worth of music that still has yet to be officially released. (Although resources permitting, you can still get them w/ decent quality.)

Ben Hur does rock, though. I wish I could find it around my house again.

Superman's good too.

The Special Editions are good except for Return of the Jedi.

Some of the Capitol Bond re-releases are good. Diamonds Are Forever and Thunderball, in particular.

The Blue Max is good.

Conan the Barbarian is good.

I'm gonna stop now, because I think I'm naming off my favorite scores, not the ones with the best CD.

I wished Sony had gotten someone in to properly remix all the OT scores especially ROTJ before they re-released them. But NOOOOO they had to re-release the old 97' Special Editions but just slap them with the Sony label and stuff on the CD's and covers and eliminate the liner notes. ;)

I vote for The Phantom Menace Ultimate Edition :wave:

You had to say it Roald. Controversy springs up in your footsteps. And admit it. You love it :)

I wished Sony had gotten someone in to properly remix all the OT scores especially ROTJ before they re-released them.  But NOOOOO they had to re-release the old 97' Special Editions but just slap them with the Sony label and stuff on the CD's and covers and eliminate the liner notes.  :baaa:

at least they are in funky 3D now..:P:wave::)

Yeah one thing for sure is that we're VERY hard to please. They know that, we know that :wave: I'm in other freak communities (Dylanpool, IDM music, etc...) and they are nowhere near the music soundtrack community in terms of the nitpicking. That's not a bad thing per-so.

I bet there has been a hundred meeting like this :

"Ok next up in the release list of this year, it's a soundtrack. I was told there a couple of people on the Internet who are willing to hear more of this score we released 20 years ago for a movie that most people can't remember.

Exec suit : WHAT? You mean some people are freak enough to watch movies and listen only to the music behind?

That sounds about right. :wave: But I am glad the consciousness about film music's popularity is by some rate improved in the record companies. Not much but we do have many rereleases, expanded editions and complete scores available. Not enough of course but still some film music fans have wiggled themself in a position where they can promote this music to the record company executives and there are film music record labels nowadays. I think we are in a quite lucky situation compared to the film music fan of previous decades.

Superman's sound quality is too bad for a remastered score recorded in the 70s.

Not necessarly true. The Special Edition DVD of Superman got a remastered isolated score which sounds a lot better than the Rhino/Warner edition. Grant most of the music was not there like on the Rhino/Warner edition but as I said it sounds a lot better.

Well, that proves my point. ;) I wouldn't criticise it if the sound couldn't be better (as the DVD - which I don't have, but which I've read about, apparently proves). Granted, they didn't have the master tapes when they produced the 2CD set, but my point still stands.

The mix on Raiders is a whole lot better then on Superman and the SW SE's.

Agreed. I'm not completely happy with any of the SW mixes, even though ROTJ is clearly the worst. I still have some hope that someday they'll come out with CE3K quality sound.

Marian - who still thinks there's enough that's great about the SW:SE's to list them among the best.

I agree, overall the SE's are fantastic.

I'm not one to be too picky about packaging. I mainly want the music. I probably read the liner notes once or twice and then rarely look at them again.

I will admit that the Jaws 25th, CE3K and The Lost World packaging are poor. I ended up selling TLW CD when I bought the DVD boxed set that had the first two scores, TLW was in a jewel case with better packaging.

Well, that proves my point. ;) I wouldn't criticise it if the sound couldn't be better (as the DVD - which I don't have, but which I've read about, apparently proves). Granted, they didn't have the master tapes when they produced the 2CD set, but my point still stands.

Ah okay I get what you're saying. Ya it sucks that Rhino/Warner didn't have the master tapes when they released the full score, could have really been benificial.

Some great single disc releases are:

Raiders of The Lost Ark ('95)

E.T. - The Extra-Terrestrial ('96)

Close Encounters of The Third Kind ('98)

Justin

Sound quality wise, the recording qualities of a lot of Goldsmith's scores from 1985-2004 (with the exception of '96 and '97), are just fantastic.

Star Trek V has some of the best audio quality out of the 1980's.