Greg1138

Season 7 was fantastic. By the fourth week of season 8, I lost interest. I couldn't care less about the stupid peace process on the show, although Hassan's daughter is enchanting. By now all the interesting non-Jack characters were dead, and the remaining ones were cliches of their former selves. Chloe's disgusted "I'm better than everyone" eye-roll got old.

We got a season finale that ended up much like previous season finales: Jack Bauer, the real hero of the U.S., will be on the run again from both his country and another foreign superpower, as his family goes into hiding and his friends say their teary farewell. Only this time, there won't be a next season to see how it plays out.

Oh there will be a movie, which is a stupid idea. Movies are 2-3 hours long, but the trademark plot element of 24 was action in real time. Even though most of the action happens in the first and last ten minutes of an episode, how do you capture that in a movie? If the movie is to tie up loose ends, they're taking a huge financial risk by compelling people to pay for the movie ticket to see them on the big screen instead of their TV. Maybe it was bloodlust, but I actually rooted for Jack to die in the series finale, just so the whole concept of making a 24 movie would be a big "gotcha."

We got a season finale that ended up much like previous season finales: Jack Bauer, the real hero of the U.S., will be on the run again from both his country and another foreign superpower, as his family goes into hiding and his friends say their teary farewell. Only this time, there won't be a next season to see how it plays out.

Yup, same old same old. Now I haven't watched any 24 since I gave up on it a bit into season 6 (season 5 also being the only one that held my interest the whole year), but it just seemed to me like a tired old show pulling out the exact same ending they've used so many times before. For a show that delighted in pushing the envelope when it started, at the end they couldn't get out of their own comfort zone.

Agreed. The show definitely needed to end now because, as the makers of the show said outright, there simply weren't any ideas left. I'm pretty happy with how it ended, I suppose. I'll keep my hopes for the film pretty modest, and perhaps I'll be pleasantly surprised. :rolleyes:

I liked the last act. The final shot dissolving into static was a nice touch, even though the clock counting down to zero may have been a bit too much.

Unfortunately though, the show lost most of my investment in Jack the moment he gutted the Russian sniper in episode 21. There had been plenty of same old same old moments this year, but that didn't bother me as much. It was taking a character that had done intense things but that we could always identify with because in the end he was still doing "the right thing," and turning him into a bloodthirsty killer. The massacre of Novokovich and his staff really put it over the edge. Also, Suvarov never struck me as the evil conniving type (nor was there any reason to) and wasn't this Novokovich guy like the foreign minister of Russia or something? Sounds like a pretty big deal if the foreign minister of a country (let alone his entire 7-part security staff) gets butchered on US soil, but it seemed to be shrugged off pretty easily.

All in all, the series finale - and I'm referring to episode 24 specifically - was all right, but spent maybe a bit too much of its runtime on wrapping up a dragging plot. There was only a little time for a quick character moment between Chloe and Jack (which was very nice, btw), which may not have been enough. I am reminded here of the season 6 finale, which not only had a big action sequence (even if it was rather silly), but also featured a last act that consisted entirely of Kiefer Sutherland and William Devane sparring on a level of character acting. What we got here felt like too little, too late.

Oh, and no Aaron Pierce this year. Boooo!

Still, I really liked the dissolve into static at the end. A fitting final image for a show that defined the age of digital information.

This whole season disappointed me in that Will Patton's character didn't return. I missed a great deal of the season on purpose, but if he was the mastermind behind Charles Logan, this season seemed to drop that entirely and just concentrate on Logan. Maybe they're saving that for the movie, since Tony and Alan Wilson could both be alive, and certainly Logan will, too.

I would have liked a silent clock for the series' final moments. Just because.

I'm also disappointed Aaron Pierce didn't return. Although maybe the screenwriters felt that after dealing with President Taylor's treacherous daughter, he retired from public service once and for all. To bring him back would have felt like an unnecessary attempt to stuff the last season full of the surviving favorites from the show.

After all, Wesley Crusher wasn't in All Good Things. Oh wait, I said favorites.

There's an interview with Howard Gordon at EW.com that answers some questions, specifically the "why didn't you bring back so and so" ones.

You can read it here.

Funny how I completely forgot Stephen Root's corpse is still stuffed in a wall somewhere inside CTU. I completely forgot about him. :P

I liked the last act. The final shot dissolving into static was a nice touch, even though the clock counting down to zero may have been a bit too much.

I think the clock going to 0 was my favorite thing in the whole finale. It just worked for me in a sentimental way.

Okay, I just had to share this somewhere. I just figured out the real-world location of the water tower where Jack meets up with his family in season 1, while they're escaping from the compound in episode 13. Here's what it looks like:

24sableranch1.jpg

This was shot at Sable Ranch in California. To be specific, the water tower was right here. Now, if I could only locate more of the locations from that compound...I think most or all of it was at or near Sable Ranch, but I can't be certain...

Wow, that picture brings back memories. 24 was so different back then.

We were satisfied with the ending - it wasn't happy, nor syrupy sad, as everyone knew Jack had done some spectacularly bad things and had still not really gotten the justice he was after. The pres was also shown to be human, and rather than having Jack taken in, recognised that her actions had been just as bad. Quite a remarkable turnaround from the initial scene with her and Jack in CTU.

No, nobody is saying anything like that. Are you sure you're not reading old posts?

While they are making a theatrical movie that continues the story, everyone in the thread is aware that last Monday's finale was a series finale.

• 1 month later...

Just saw the series finale, and must say it was pretty good, other than the fact that I missed Jack Bauer doing something clever in it (like in the Season 5 finale for instance), but we got that in the previous episodes I guess.

All in all, a very, very decent season, especially considering it's the 8th. I only got fed up with the initial Dana subplot, but then that appeared to be actually functional - which is I think one of the only times the revelation of the mole did in fact make sense.

I don't agree that this season didn't push the envelope as much as the early seasons; in fact, I liked how Bauer in this season finally crosses the line completely, only to be drawn back by Chloe. Moreover, the series never really pushed the envelope as a series, I'd say. They did some pretty good stuff, but it never could get beyond its own formula, although it set up many opportunities to do so (Jack in China, the move to DC and NY). I'll always see it as a hugely entertaining series, next to Lost my favourite of the past ten years, that had a fantastic concept, executed well to excellently, but never did as much with it as should have been possible.

It also suffered from lack of foresight and plotholes; the writers should have come up with a more detailed grand scheme each season - it's not that they aren't clever enough to do it.

And I can still not get over the fact how they screwed up Tony Almeida in the last few episodes of season 7. I've never seen a character get out of character like that before. It also stands in contrast with the development of the president in this season, which was much better done (meaning it was believable and actually made sense).

Anyway, I'm excited with the series going into a movie and hopefully movie series, which will hopefully allow them to do an interesting variation on the formula (plot + form). My guess is they'll keep the real-time aspect for the second half of the movie, which makes sense I guess, though I'd also love them to accept the challenge of doing a whole film in real time if this one's successful. Just make it 2h40min.

Oh, and I agree with Marc that the last shot was really well done. Not only the static, but also that it was in fact a real "split screen" inside the diegesis. I also liked the disclaimer that this was all fiction (nothing here ever happened) and the command to shut the projection (the series) down.

I pretty much agree with everything you said. ;)

By the way, pretty much all of the series is available on Netflix Instant Watch right now, for those of you with accounts. I've re-watched the first 2 seasons plus part of season 3. I'll probably skip season 4...ugh! This show really did go downhill after season 2, but season 5 was awesome.

• 2 years later...

I still haven't seen season 8 yet either, or whatever season came after the mini-movie they did (which I also haven't seen)

The mini movie (Redemption) was nothing special really. It sets up a few season 8 characters, but IMO didn't achieve that much else.

Season 8 is a fairly typical mixed bag - it has some seriously old cliches (and one plot twist that would belong in the mostly dismal season 6) but also some moments where the writers were more clever and surprised us.

Chloe O'Brian is still one of the best television characters of all time

I wonder if they are using elements from the planned movie that never got off the ground for this series?

And I wonder what the point is of setting this many years after season 8 - they were already well into the future by then!

The show's timeline has always been funny like that. I think it's kinda fun actually, having 8 seasons over the span of 16ish fictitious years or whatever it ended up being. Oh and just a minor correction: Redemption set up season 7, not season 8. Yes, I'll watch this new season, but honestly, I haven't loved the show since the first half of season 6.

Incredible news, i always loved 24 for its entertainment values. The story often makes not much sense but the action, drama and emotion make it all worthwile in the end. Looking forward to see Jack Bauer on the small screen again!

Season 8 started off looking like it was going to be as bad as 6, yet after the halfway point, just excelled at everything and ended on such a strong note. I knew FOX wasn't going to let the show die without any return, but I just hope they can achieve the success the show deserves.

I need to read back through this thread, see what everyone thought of the show.

I still haven't finished season 8. I got about a third of the way through it, then got distracted by Lost. Now I need to go back and finish it out.

Before I read everyone else's views on the show, let me give mine: I watched the entirety (well, the first seven seasons, anyway) on DVD, and I loved it. I couldn't imagine waiting a week to get to each episode; that would've pushed my patience past its limits. The show had its weak points, to be sure; the second half of season 2, season 6, the times when they had to stretch with filler because they'd run out of things to do. But when it was at its best--seasons 4 and 5, season 7, and a fair amount of the earlier seasons--it was the best thing out there. I fell in love with the characters (save Kim Bauer, who remains one of the most disastrous characters ever), cheered for them, and felt my heart break when one of them died or turned to the dark side. It was simply a brilliant concept brilliantly executed.

So how do I feel about them bringing it back? Cautious, but curious. I don't think they'd do it if their ideas were the same turns they did over the eight-season run. They must've come up with a concept so awesome they just couldn't resist kicking it back into gear. I'm hoping that's the case, anyway.

Or maybe they're just looking for something to tie in with their new logo. If that's what's going on here, get ready for suck. . . .

- Uni

I'd agree that Kim hasn't been one of the best written characters.

Her sudden reappearance at the end of season 7 felt like a complete cop-out, and in earlier seasons she seemed to be part of either really unrealistic sub-plots (impersonating the villain's daughter in the library) or killing time (trying to keep her in difficulties in season 2).

For me, the best season after the first was season 5. Great villain, a good plot device, and some really unexpected deaths. Although season 4 deserves special mention for the triumphant and totally unexpected return of a certain character.(

my brother and I were watching a mini-marathon of part of the season, and he'd seen it before, so he was basically watching my face when Tony was about to reappear. Apparently my reaction was priceless.

).

Season 5 was definitely the best of the lot. Brilliant characters and some magnificent acting. It deservedly swept the awards that year.

6 was a huge disappointment following 5. Season 7 got the show back on track with a really strong story. Season 8 started off horribly, but the second half was excellent. Ended as spectacularly as this show deserved to be ended, while leaving the door open for more to come.

I loved watching the show, but had problems with not taking things far enough (to do something really different - they have Bauer deported to China, and after one or two episodes in the next season things are back to normal), and had huge problems with the complete character change of you know who in season 7.

Yeah that was unbelievable and pretty rubbish.

The deportation thing screams of the writers suddenly realising at the start of season 6.... how the hell do we get him out of this one.

By the time Jack Bauer returns, Kim Jong Un will have been replaced by Kim Jongs Deux and Tre, but they will only be alive since Jack Bauer has not killed them.

I had to look it up because I remembered it was wacky: each season of 24 takes place further and further in the future!
Season 1 - which aired 2001-2002 - takes place in November of 2001 (November because it's the presidential primary election, and 2001 because it takes place 2 years after Operation Nightfall, which is said to have been in 1999)
Season 2 - which aired in 2002-3 - takes place 18 months later, so May 2003 (this is the last season that's close to real time!)
Season 3 - which aired in 2003-4 - takes place 3 years later, so say May 2006 (2 years after the season finale aired)
Season 4 - which aired in 2004-5 - takes place 18 months later, so November 2007 (2 1/2 years after the season finale aired)
Season 5 - which aired in 2006 - takes place 18 months later, so May 2009 (3 years after the season finale aired)
Season 6 - which aired in 2007 - takes place 20 months later, so January 2011 (almost 4 years after the season finale)
Season 7 - which aired in 2009 - takes place 46 months later, so November 2014 (5 1/2 years after the season finale aired)
Season 8 - which aired in 2010 - takes place 18 months later, so May 2016 (6 years after the season finale aired)

So if this new season will take place "several years" after season 8, that could be the 2020s!

I'd agree that Kim hasn't been one of the best written characters.

Her sudden reappearance at the end of season 7 felt like a complete cop-out, and in earlier seasons she seemed to be part of either really unrealistic sub-plots (impersonating the villain's daughter in the library) or killing time (trying to keep her in difficulties in season 2).

She existed to get into trouble. From season 1 on, that's literally all she did. What happened when she impersonated the villain's daughter in the library? She got into trouble. Why did she reappear in season 7? To get into trouble—which is exactly what she did the moment she arrived.

For me, the best season after the first was season 5. Great villain, a good plot device, and some really unexpected deaths.

Can't argue with that. For whatever reason, each of the previous seasons had a misfire in some element of the developing story. In season 5, they seemed to get all the pistons firing in the right way and at the right time. Great stuff.

Although season 4 deserves special mention for the triumphant and totally unexpected return of a certain character.

My wife and I watched the series together. That remains one of our favorite moments. We cheered out loud.

[side story: my wife and I had a lot of fun during odd moments of the show. For instance: we're also big Team America fans. So starting in the fourth season, every time Cheng Zhi, the Chinese official who was after Jack, made a significant appearance, I would cry out (a la Kim Jong Il at the beginning of this clip), "Jack Baaauuueeer! Oh nooooooo!"]

6 was a huge disappointment following 5. Season 7 got the show back on track with a really strong story.

S6 was pretty much the worst of all them. It never figured out what exactly it was trying to do. And they made a galactic mistake in thinking Wayne Palmer would make a good president because David Palmer was so great (apparently, so did the voters). But—as was demonstrated in the show—he made a terrible president.

Season 7 did indeed come back with a riveting story . . . and a much better president (whose name just happened to match my daughter's first and middle names). I suspended my disbelief for the aforementioned total change of character, because the ultimate motivation bore it out—though I agree with those who've said they could've handled it much, much better than they did.

I also feel the need to mention the other reason for the lasting success and heightened quality of the show: the only character who shared all eight seasons with Jack Bauer. I'm hoping that by the end of this new iteration of 24, Chloe O'Brien rules the friggin' world.

- Uni

I also feel the need to mention the other reason for the lasting success and heightened quality of the show: the only character who shared all eight seasons with Jack Bauer. I'm hoping that by the end of this new iteration of 24, Chloe O'Brien rules the friggin' world.

- Uni

Your memory fails you sir - Chloe O'Brian didn't even exist until season 3!!!

There was no character to be in all 8 seasons - the closest was Aaron Pierce, who was in 7.

But yea, Chloe O'Brian is one of the best television characters of all time!

Although I love 24 (yes, yes - even season 6 so far...), the only truly annoying thing is that Jack gets from A to B within minutes and in a 'real time' setting that gives me the constant feeling that all the action, all the suspense and all the characters are concentrated in an area smaller than my home town (which is very, very small).

That's was another observation we made frequently. Not only that, but when you take into account the fact that L.A. is the most automobile-dense city in America, there must've been a tight curfew in effect for all eight seasons—since when they're driving at night you almost never see another vehicle on the road with them.

- Uni

Your memory fails you sir - Chloe O'Brien didn't even exist until season 3!!!

There was no character to be in all 8 seasons - the closest was Aaron Pierce, who was in 7.

Well, according to your own timeline, she probably existed, but . . .are you kidding me? I thought she was there from the get-go! Wow. I guess she's one of those people who seem like they've been in your life forever, huh? ;)

I can live with Aaron holding the record, though. He was as stellar a character as any on the show, and had the distinction of delivering one of the most memorable lines (during season 5): "Anything else I can do for you . . . Charles?"

- Uni

FYI, there are exactly 6 characters who appeared in more than 4 different seasons:

Jack Bauer (8 seasons; 192 episodes)

Aaron Pierce (7 seasons; 49 episodes)

Chloe O'Brian (6 seasons; 125 episodes)

Kim Bauer (6 seasons; 79 episodes)

Tony Almeida (5 seasons; 115 episodes)

David Palmer (5 seasons; 80 episodes)

Even Michelle Dessler, Curtis Manning, Charles Logan, and Bill Buchanan only appeared in 4 different seasons.

Bill Buchanan was another stalwart who surprised me by how late he entered the picture. When I watched the series through the second time, I was floored that he didn't appear until season 4. (I was sure he was somehow involved in the final dealings with Nina Myers.)

- Uni

FYI, there are exactly 6 characters who appeared in more than 4 different seasons:
Jack Bauer (8 seasons; 192 episodes)
Aaron Pierce (7 seasons; 49 episodes)
Chloe O'Brian (6 seasons; 125 episodes)
Kim Bauer (6 seasons; 79 episodes)
Tony Almeida (5 seasons; 115 episodes)
David Palmer (5 seasons; 80 episodes)
Even Michelle Dessler, Curtis Manning, Charles Logan, and Bill Buchanan only appeared in 4 different seasons.

Chloe wasn't in the first two seasons? Wow. I can't imagine CTU without her.

I want to re-watch the whole lot sometime (maybe stopping after season 5) - so many fantastic characters we've lost.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...