Lost

Mr. Breathmask

A guy at work and I agreed that a suitably ambiguous ending to the show would've been to

see the bomb explode, then have a montage of all of the main characters in Sydney not knowing each other.

But of course, we have a whole season of stuff to confuse us with, so there's no way it's going to be as simple as that :P Plus, we want to know who

"Locke"

really is.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Gasp! The earlier episodes of Season 5 are up again on abc.com! I don't know why, and I don't know for how long, but I'm taking advantage of it, and you guys should too.

And I have to say...as I re-watch those earlier episodes, my confidence in the whatever-happened-happened philosophy has been strengthened. There are SO many things that happen in all the time travel that do not conflict with the way things had turned out. If it were possible to change the past, the survivors would have done it over and over and over again, but they didn't. I'm telling you, detonating Jughead just caused (or facilitated) "the incident." Nothing was changed.

Of course, that doesn't explain how the Losties are going to survive...but I'm telling you, they didn't change anything. Their efforts to change the past actually resulted in the past occurring exactly the way it was supposed to, for lack of a better term.

http://www.lostuniversity.org/

Have any of you enrolled (it's free)?

My country is not allowed yet, probably because Season 5 has not been entirely aired yet here (it's ending this week or the next; I'm not sure; seeing it in English was splendid, and I don't want to watch it in French now). If I still cannot enroll once it's over here, I'll try doing it by picking Great Britain, hoping they don't check with the IP.

This site is a great idea.

Has any other series used the Internet to such an extent to truly interact with its audience?

Wait, so...Rousseau's science expedition went down under the Temple, to Smokey's hideout, and when they came back, they were "sick." Not themselves. Ruthless killers. I've been assuming the same thing happened to them as to Locke - they were killed, and Smokey and/or Jacob's enemy took their form. But now I'm realizing something very interesting - all of those manifestations were killed by Rousseau. If they really were victims of the same process as Locke, then the Locke-alike we saw for the last part of season 5 can be killed, too. Just thought that was interesting...subconsciously, I'd been thinking of him as this immortal re-incarnation of Locke, but if it's the same thing as with the science team, this manifestation of Jacob's enemy could be killed just as easily as a normal human being.

There hasn't been any evidence to say that Unlocke can't be killed by normal means. Come to think of it there isn't much information on Jacob's Enemy at all, other than the fact that he can shape shift and even that has to be somewhat inferred. I'd like to know how much he has impersonated Jacob, since there seems to be some conflicts between how Jacob is himself and what he has done (or rather ordered) as the leader of the Others.

Yeah...there's not a whole that's really KNOWN about him. We've seen two 100% definite incarnations of him, but the undead Christian is certainly the same fellow. In fact, I'd wager right now that any non-dream, non-drug-induced apparition of a person who was supposed to be dead or physically elsewhere was actually Jacob's enemy. Ben's mom...Walt...Harper...Libby...Ana Lucia...Charlie...all the same guy. And all of that for one single purpose: to allow him to take possession of Locke, the one guy who'd be able to get close enough to effect Jacob's death.

But I could be wrong.

I think it's more likely that he enlisted the aid of some or all of those dead folks to help him with his scheme and not that he was literally those people. Christian for example is not a ghost. His body was not in his coffin unlike Locke's, meaning there may be two Lockes but only one Christian.

It's all puzzling, certainly. Keep in mind that Christian was able to appear on the freighter and down in the frozen donkey wheel chamber, areas that Christian's physical body never would have been able to reach. That suggests to me that he's more of an apparition, not a physical body that's been taken over by another force. (Unless Jacob's enemy can teleport physical objects...but that's a stretch at this point.)

I guess we have to accept that there will always be certain details from earlier in the show that just don't quite fit. I'm supremely confident in season 6...I really think it'll tie everything together marvelously...but there just gonna be some little things that won't make sense within the context of the answers we'll be given.

I don't think I knew that this had been officially confirmed, but I'd been figuring it was the case. Jacob's enemy was doing a fantastic job of nefariously standing in for him with all these people who don't know any better. I'm guessing Richard really has seen and spoken to Jacob, though.

What I'd like to know is whether or not the forms of both jacob and his nemesis that we saw in the finale are actually their true forms, and not proxies a la Fake Locke. Just how old is Jacob and his adversary? And what was their original form (if my question has any weight)?

Interesting.

They appear not to be able to harm each other directly, so they can oppose only by proxy, in a gigantic intellectual game in which the castaways are but pawns.

Now, what has Jacob been doing while his Adversary was impersonating him all around the Island (and off it as well)?

We have seen him off Island, picking some of the main castaways, and we will naturally learn more, but howcome his Adversary has been able to do so much? Has Jacob picked his set of pawns and set up everything in such a skillful way that he had nothing left to do, but let the Adversary act in the way he had predicted?

It's a long wait till Season 6...

Yeah...I'm sure season 6 will be totally focused on the war between Jacob and his mysterious enemy (who I still believe to be either strongly affiliated with or identical to Smokey). Each season finale sort of...leads right into the next season's big questions. Little did we know that the entire show has just been about a war between two characters we'd never seen directly. 'Twill be MOST fascinating to find out what happens.

Little did we know that the entire show has just been about a war between two characters we'd never seen directly. 'Twill be MOST fascinating to find out what happens.

I'm sure we will see more flashbacks revisiting of old scenes and key moments, such as Jacob touching Locke after his fall, and everything will be tied up together in an even more mindboggling fashion.

I wouldn't say that the whole show has just been about Jacob vs. "Esau", although that is obviously a big part of it. The show has always been about the people who crashed on the island and others that they interact with (Darlton) has said this many times. I don't expect that to change in Season 6.

Well, yes, that's been a major theme throughout. But the Jacob/"Esau" conflict is the vehicle that's made the entire story possible, even though it was unbeknownst to us till relatively recently.

• 4 weeks later...

Was there even anything new in that?:(

Way to go ABC. :angry:

Was there even anything new in that?:(

Way to go ABC. :angry:

I heard that the producers have asked ABC not to show any footage from Season 6 in its marketing, as they say any footage at all would be spoilers. So if you're going to blame anyone, blame them.

yeah but she'll be on two shows on ABC in the spring, unless V is pulled.

I caught the last ten minutes. It didn't show much of anything that you couldn't glean from the trailers they've shown all summers. Other than the nature of the visitors. This show won't last.

I've watched lost till S03E10 or so, and stopped then cause it boared me to hell.

Just wondering, is it worth to continue watching? Did they fuck up the later episodes of S03 and the other seasons as well?

I've watched lost till S03E10 or so, and stopped then cause it boared me to hell.

Just wondering, is it worth to continue watching? Did they fuck up the later episodes of S03 and the other seasons as well?

You stopped just about exactly when the show got good, actually

A lot of Season 2 and the first half of season 3 is the low-point of the entire series (especially the first 6 episodes of Season 3, ughhh). Seasons 4 and 5 are the best!!!

• 1 month later...

The Season 6 promo picture is pretty old, and I think this has been become common knowledge by now, but there are several characters on there we haven't seen in awhile.

Boone, Shannon, Charlie, Eko, Libby, Ana Lucia, Michael, Charlotte, and Faraday are all on there. And they're all dead!

Thank you for keeping stuff in spoiler tags! :P

Also, I didn't realize that they'd set a date for the season premiere - February 2nd! Longer than I want to wait, obviously, but I guess that means fewer of those painful days between the end of the show and the day I die. ;)

All right...the time has come. Even though I've seen each episode of Lost at LEAST four or five times, I think it's definitely time to watch the entire first five seasons straight through in preparation for February 2nd. This final season is going to tie everything together in the most wonderfully brain-twisting ways, and I want to have everything fresh in my mind. So...if any of y'all want to join me, I'm about to start "Pilot, Part 1."

Again. XD

The Pilot is still one of the greatest episodes of the series, and probably even more important now than we had ever thought. I want to start watching everything over too, but I know once the Season 6 finale comes around, I'm gonna want to watch it all over again from the start. I'd also like Seasons 1 and 2 on Blu, but that'd run me $100, and I don't like that.

Oh man, the pilot is amazing. What a way to kick off the show. Lot of great episodes, though.

I have been rewatching the whole show again as well. The thing that makes this show special is the characters and their development. It is all about the characters, not flashy effects, explosions and action even though those are featured in the show every once in a while in full force. There is the mystery of the Island of course but it would be nothing without these people, their dynamics alone and together. I find the first two seasons a great build-up of characters and their personalities, their backgrounds and motivations. Then begins a ever expanding series of revelations and events that lead to the finale of season 5. It would not be half as gut-wrenchingly emotional if you did not know where these people come from and what they have endured alone and together to get there.

P.S. the scores have gotten under my skin now. Took about 4 years for me to start appreciating them fully. :rolleyes: Great music on album and on the series. Giacchino really has created some of the best music on TV for this show.

Yeah, the characters are really essential to the show. The mythology of the Island is really, really important, too, though. I don't think just the characters alone would have been enough. The show is at its best when each side of the story is being used to strengthen the other.

And congrats on coming to appreciate the music! I can relate...it didn't take me four years, but it did take me a while to make the transition from thinking Giacchino's scoring was simple, repetitive, and annoying to realizing that it's a complex tapestry of leitmotifs and themes that constantly explore the most tender consonances and the most brilliantly uncomfortable dissonances.

Lost is a succesful combination of so many elements: drama, action, adventure, mystery, suspence, humor. I guess that is why it works so well. It offers very character oriented and character driven and complex story (some say made too complex and silly) in which the makers of the show explore the basic aspects of humanity but in a mysterious setting where the other very strong element is the Island mythology. As a friend of mine said, this show makes you think, not only the story itself but in a larger way. I agree.

Wow! If any of you feel like buying Lost on DVD or Blu-ray, tomorrow's the day to do it. 70% off on Amazon. WOW.

Makes me wish I had not bought the previous seasons already as the only one I am missing is the 5th. Ah well. By waiting patiently a few years I got the first 4 seasons with the paltry sum of 60€ (15€ each). DVDs go to the discount bin really fast these days. I can wait for a few months before buying the 5th season.

HOLY SHIT!

Thanks for that link Joe!!

I currently own seasons 1-3 on DVD, but will be getting a blu ray player for x-mas.

Just ordered all 5 seasons on blu for $109! YAY!

BTW, I read that the Season 1 and 2 blu rays come with a coupon inside where you can mail in the UPC from the standard def DVD and the Blu Ray and you get $20 back in the mail. That effectively makes this 5 season purchase $69 for me... and if I can get $20 or so for each of the first 3 seasons on ebay, that's almost covering all my costs. Wow!

Haha, you're welcome! I'm very glad I signed up to get daily emails about those deals...otherwise I doubt I would have discovered this!

Urgh...I think I'm going to buy the BD set and use it as an excuse to make the switch from DVDs, but I just don't want to pay for a new drive (and audio ripping software). =/ I know you linked to this $60 internal drive a few pages back, Jay, so I'll probably do that, but that'll mean I can only watch them on my main computer, not on the laptop I use for traveling. Unless it's easy to switch it from computer to computer, that is...

EDIT: Whew...I bought it! My first Blu-ray purchase! It's a shame I won't get to enjoy it till early next month because I'll be traveling and won't have access to the package till then, but that's okay. I'm just glad I got such an amazing deal! 70 freakin' percent...that's insane. Now I really hope the show will be taken off of ABC's full episode player after the conclusion of season 6 so that this'll feel really worth it. ROTFLMAO