"Munich," John Williams

"Pride & Prejudice," Dario Marianelli

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats to JW!!!!

I think he has a shot, we will just have to wait and see how it plays out on Award night.

For now, we should be happy that he was nominated twice.

Way to go Johnny. Only the Pride and Prejudice score will be the only competition for Johnny.

BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN - 8 Nominations

MUNICH - 5 Nominations

MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA - 5 Nominations

GOOD NIGHT AND GOOD LUCK - 6 Nominations

Great, another year that will split his votes. Potter might have beat LotR if A.I. didn't get nominated the same year. I have a bad feeling about this. I'm fearing that the Academy will want a Brokeback Mountain sweep, no matter the cost.

Tim

Does anyone know the other three scores? I haven't seen the movies, let alone heard the music!!! Are they any good?

But now Johnny has at least as many nominations as Alfred Newman. :(

beerchug bowdown:thumbup::joy::love::(:nod::jump::ola:

:ola:

:ola::ola:

I'm not thinking about his chances of winning right now. I'm doing cartwheels over the fact that I saw JohnWilliams' name TWICE on the nominations list.

Though I'm surprised to see "The Constant Gardener" and "Pride & Prejudice" on the list.

Did ya see the song nominees? Only three of them:

"In the Deep" from "Crash"

"It's Hard Out Here for a Pimp" from "Hustle and Flow" :nod:

"Travelin' Thru" from "Transamerica"

They can pick three or five nominees. It depends on the score they give them when they hear them. I guess they didn't think highly of the others. The last time this happened was in 1988.

By the way, JW is now third on the all-time nominations list with 45.

:music: "A Prayer for Peace"

Great, another year that will split his votes.  Potter might have beat LotR if A.I. didn't get nominated the same year.

Or more accuarately, AI might have won if Potter hadn't split the votes.

No, I really do think John Williams WILL win this year . . . I'm not sure whether it'll be for Memoirs or Munich, though. I would have said Munich, if Memoirs hadn't won a Golden Globe . . . so that makes both scores equally likely to win, IMO.

Maybe the Academy did it on purpose, to force Williams into a losing position, thus strengthening Brokeback's chances.

Nah, they can't possibly be that malicious.

Tim

Don't think this kind of things are that rare for the Academy

I still think Memoirs is the clear winner. Munich may not get that many votes. Double nominations is even more reason to give him the oscar. Remember Sondenbergh a few years ago?

And doesn't Williams tie Alfred Newman now? We should be celebrating nonetheless.

Romão, happy for all the nominations Spielberg and Geisha got.

And doesn't Williams tie Alfred Newman now? We should be celebrating nonetheless.

Yes is this true? One more nomination and Williams is the most often nominated person in history?

Well, I for one, I'm happy Marinelli got a nod. He's a newcomer and his score for the Brothers Grimm was great. I saw the Constant Gardener and I thought was pretty much what you would expect from a film of this genre, nothing too remarkable. BUt you guys are right, all those strange names make me feel a bit uneasy. But Memoirs will still win. C'mon, he has 2 nominations. They don't have the nerve to shut him out again.

Thank God Patrick Doyle didn't get nominated . . .

The first time a Harry Potter score is not nominated... and we all know why :roll:

Anyway, congratulations to John Williams.

I don't think the fact he is nominated twice will narrow his chance to win.

We all think and vote for John Williams but (and I hope that) the votes are not for a composer but for a score.

Then, in that way, John Williams has 2 chances to win an Academy Award this year.

And I am really convinced he will win for Memoirs of a Geisha.

Keep the faith :(

The only thing that might be different is that JW seems to have a publicist or his agent or somebody campaigning for him. He's getting articles in the NYTimes and elsewhere. He's got the Tonight Show appearance. So maybe he's recognized the political aspect of the awards and "his people" are playing along more this year, trying to generate as much publicity as possible. Yo Yo Ma and Perlman can't hurt either.

Still, I'll go with Brokeback Mountain as well.

- Adam

Keep the faith  :(

If you keep keeping the faith long enough, you're bound to get lucky eventually.

I'm sorry, I don't mean to be so negative, it' just that I wasn't expecting a double nom this year, and I'm not coping well with the news.

Tim

Furthermore,Brokeback is not nominated for Best Song where it should be,thus getting all the votes from the confused people that still mix both categories up.

K.M.

The academy stated it clear: with only 14 minutes of score, and a lot more songs that should not be considered for this category, this score is screaming ineligible (ask Howard Shore, for instance). However, it was not only declared eligible but also nominated.

14 minutes of score in Brokeback?Now I'm SURE it will win.

no kidding

Anyone who still think this Brokeback movie is "just a great love story" is fooling themselves.I expect no less than Elton John to be the presenter for the "best picture" category with the camera doing a quick insert shot of Susan Sarandon sporting a rainbow ribbon on her dress.

K.M.

I am exstatic that Williams got two nominations!!! :(

BUT this could mean his votes will divide amoung the two scores. I hate this situation. Williams is the clear winner but there is the danger that Academy will give the Oscar to a foreigner or new comer. This has happened way too often. I don't want to be negative but I fear Academy makes another weird move and Santaolalla wins the Oscar.